Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, texifornia said:

Ah, well I was just going based on Bevo saying it was only commits. Guess I need to do my own reading more often.

Okay, maybe I am going crazy but I didn't see his name on the list I quoted. Where is Collins going to be? Don't tell me, he is still looking to visit OU. If that visit happens, I'll wear a ctj is the fastest guy on Surly t-shirt.

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Okay, maybe I am going crazy but I didn't see his name on the list I quoted. Where is Collins going to be? Don't tell me, he is still looking to visit OU. If that visit happens, I'll wear a ctj is the fastest guy on Surly t-shirt.

He maintains he's taking his OVs. We'll see.

IT

ALFRED COLLINS

Alfred Collins wasted little time Friday in proving he was the best player on the field.

The 6-foot-6.5, 277-pound Collins utilized his elite burst early and often to make life difficult for Austin Northeast linemen. Collins tallied four tackles with three of them for loss, forced a fumble, recovered two fumbles, and even caught a two point conversion following a botched snap.

"It feels great," Collins said. "Good to hit other people instead of my teammtes."

On the recruiting front, Collins' top five has been known for a while. Texas is joined by LSU, A&M, OU, and Alabama.

Collins saw Texas' win over Louisiana Tech along with his entire family. Prior to the game, Collins and the rest of his burnt orange clad family took several pictures with defensive line coach Oscar Giles. on the field

He still maintains he plans to visit the entirety of his top five, including a trip to Oklahoma this upcoming weekend and a visit to Alabama after that.

After unofficially visiting Texas this past weekend, he still plans to officially visit the Longhorns later in the year.

Coaches aren't the only ones recruiting Collins to UT. Texas commits Hudson Card and Princely Umanmielen are on Collins as well.

"They're just telling me 'let's make history together,'" Collins said. "'Lets go to UT.'"

Collins said he currently doesn't have a leader and that all of the schools are "pretty even." However, Collins has visited Texas several times throughout the offseason, more than any other school. He is still likely to take his trips to see the rest of his top five, but Texas remains very confident in their chances to land Collins as their fourth defensive lineman in the 2020 class.

9 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:

QB Hudson Card – Lake Travis

QB Ja'Quinden Jackson – Duncanville

WR Quentin Johnston – Temple

OL Andrej Karic – Southlake Carroll

OL Jake Majors – Prosper

DE Vernon Broughton – Cy Ridge

DE Princely Umanmielen – Manor

LB Prince Dorbah – Highland Park

CB Ethan Pouncey – Winter Park FL (maybe)

S Xavion Alford – Pearland Shadow Creek

S Jerrin Thompson – Lufkin

CB Kitan Crawford – John Tyler

ATH Jaden Hullaby – Dallas Timberview

QB Jalen Milroe – Katy Tompkins

RB Camar Wheaton – Garland Lakeview Centennial (maybe)

RB LJ Johnson – Cy Fair

WR Quaydarius Davis – Dallas Skyline

WR Theodore Knox – The Woodlands

WR Latrell Neville – Houston Hightower

WR JoJo Earle - Aledo

WR Bryson Green - Allen (maybe)

WR Blaine Green - Allen (maybe)

TE Lake McRee – Lake Travis

OL Tommy Brockermeyer – FW All Saints Episcopal

OL Savion Byrd – Duncanville

OL Donovan Jackson – Houston Episcopal

OL Hayden Conner – Katy Taylor

OL Reuben Fatheree II – Richmond Foster (maybe)

OL James Brockermeyer - FW All Saints Episcopal

DE Marcus Burris – Pleasant Grove

DE Ethan Downs – Weatherford OK

DL Tunmise Adeleye – Katy Tompkins

DE Shemar Turner – DeSoto

DE Ja'Tavion Sanders – Denton Ryan

DE Landon Jackson – Pleasant Grove

LB Clayton Smith – Texarkana Texas High

LB Derrick Harris – New Caney

S JD Coffey – Kennedale

ATH Billy Bowman – Denton Ryan

ATH Juan Davis – Everman

WR Caleb Burton – Del Valle

OL Kameron Dewberry - Humble Atascocita

DT Keithian Alexander – Dallas Skyline

CB Denver Harris – North Shore

Good list... Thanks.

No Ty Jordan??  Thought he was attending too...

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

The Evans post is gone from TigerDroppings. Anyone got cliffs? Or is it just the usual on Evans who doesn't seem that interested in football and is kind of a flake?

I guess the big revelation was that Evans got into a heated argument with his NS coach and is suspended fro the next 3 games. It's possible it's all bullshit, or it's possible it happened but the coach goes back on the suspension and we never hear about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Tbf most of 2020 is wrapped up. The only guys that I'd like to see added are LVBS, JSN, Josh White, and Ringo (hah). Given that White and JSN are committed elsewhere, they'll probably be late additions if they do visit. 

Which shows how much momentum 2020 has now. 2 months ago, you could have got good odds on the 2021 class having more commits than 2020 class by the LSU game.

Just now, crash_davis said:

So Evans being acting aloof on interviews was not an act?  Sounds like all the attention went to this his head.  It will be interesting what committable offers he really has.  

No kidding. No RB is worth that amount of tomfoolery. Even if he was the second coming of Earl Campbell, he wouldn't be worth it. 

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No kidding. No RB is worth that amount of tomfoolery. Even if he was the second coming of Earl Campbell, he wouldn't be worth it. 

Since I don't have to deal with any of it on a D2D level, yeah, I'd like to see more of this in a burnt orange (but I get your point, kids an ass-hat):

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Since I don't have to deal with any of it on a D2D level, yeah, I'd like to see more of this in a burnt orange (but I get your point, kids an ass-hat):

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Evans is a fine RB prospect, but let's get real: There aren't any more Earls out there. So this question is about as moot as it gets.

• Like 2

Clint Buckley: All-purpose RB Ty Jordan closing in on decision

West Mesquite 2020 running back Ty Jordan isn’t the biggest, but he’s about as compete of a back as it gets at the high school level. His talents were on full display Saturday afternoon during his team’s season opener in Waco against Hutto. Despite West Mesquite’s 41-21 loss, Jordan shined. He spoke with Horns247 following the game.

“It was a big learning experience for us,” Jordan said. “Although we’re 0-1 we don’t see it as a loss, we see it as a learning experience. We just take the game film, watch it, and learn from it. “We’ve got a lot of young guys and this is their first experience of a varsity game, so they got a taste of that pressure. We fought to the end and that’s all that really matters to me.”

Jordan scored all three touchdowns for West Mesquite, rushing 12 times for 56 yards while catching 10 passes for 79 yards against at tough Hutto defense led by defensive end and 2021 LSU commit Landyn Watson. “I’m what they call a toy back or a three-dimensional back,” Jordan said. “I can run, I can stay in the backfield and block, and I can also run routes and catch the ball. Not too many running backs can do that. That ability to run routes and catch the ball, it cuts down time of switching guys on the field.”

Despite his small stature, Jordan runs with an attitude. “It comes from the heart,” he said. "It doesn’t matter if you’re 6-5, 230, I’ll go in the trenches with you.” Jordan wants to make a decision sooner rather than later. “I don’t want to wait too long, spots are filling up, opportunities are getting lost,” Jordan said. “So I’m starting to narrow things down. My decision is coming pretty soon, within the next couple of weeks.”

The all-purpose back is keenly aware of the Dallas-to-Austin movement that took hold over the summer beginning with the commitment of Duncanville’s Ja'Quinden Jackson. “I played with (Jackson) my eighth grade year,” Jordan said. “Me and him are tight. He doesn’t bug me about it, but he is in my ear like, ‘hey, make that move. Let’s start something, let’s come down to Austin and start something.’”

Jordan said he will take his official visit to Texas on Sept. 21 when the Longhorns are hosting Oklahoma State. At 5-foot-7, 183 pounds, Jordan is the No. 11 ranked all-purpose back in the nation and the No. 58 ranked player in Texas according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

5-foot-7, 183 pounds

What's the anticipated playing weight in college?  195-200?

Quentin griffin, BTW was 5'7 195-ish.  

*He had an Oklahoma-record six rushing touchdowns against Texas in 2000.[1]

Fuck you Wikipedia.....

Edited by BabaYaga

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fuck you Wikipedia.....

He's really compact. As most 5'7 rbs are.  By his 2nd year with Yancey, he's gonna be a bowling ball and a fuckin problem.  

Plus you can play Bijan and Ty at the same time.

He's really good.  I'm glad things are trending our way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoomMF said:
51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:
Fuck you Wikipedia.....

Seems like it was more.

He just scored again.