2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

Yeah, Harden wants out.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30324693/sources-brooklyn-nets-top-james-harden-list-trade-destinations

As Houston Rockets star James Harden considers his uncertain future with the franchise, the Brooklyn Nets are rising to the top of his list as a possible trade destination, sources told ESPN.

The idea of joining Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in Brooklyn is resonating with Harden, sources said.

Durant and Harden -- past teammates with the Oklahoma City Thunder -- have recently discussed the possibility, but there have yet to be trade discussions between the two front offices.

Harden has been increasingly uneasy about the Rockets' ability to compete for an NBA title and has been considering the possibility of pushing to play elsewhere before his contract expires, sources said.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, Llogg said:

The Nets had a nice overachieving team a couple years ago and have been steadily working to fuck it up ever since.

I mean, anytime you have a chance to land three top 15 players (being a little generous on Kyrie), you kind of have to take it. But I can't imagine a worse trio of superstar players than KD, Kyrie, and Harden.

That said, being in the eastern conference, that's almost a guaranteed bid into the conference finals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The Nets would have to be the dumbest organization in pro sports to bite on that deal.  Sadly they are really dumb maybe not Knicks level dumb but dumb nonetheless.

Three players with ~30 usage will work out splendidly esp with Harden up in the 40s lately.

Mikhail Prokhorov went for broke when he majority owned the Nets. Let's hope Joseph Tsai does the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-reactions-celtics-nets-blockbuster-212836874.html

Edited by UDontKnow

And for the record Tilman Fertita is a cocksucker of a human being.  Why can't Houston pro sports be owned by someone competent?  Les Alexander in his pursuit of eternal mediocrity was the best we've ever had.

Oilers / Texans

Bud Adams - I don't need to detail what a cocksucker this dipshit was

McNair Family - Historical incompetence showing extreme loyalty to mediocre to terrible (talent) individuals

Astros

Roy Hofheinz at least got us the team but god they were horrible then he sold to GE & Ford WTF?

GE Credit & Ford Credit - Absolute trainwreck some of the most putrid offenses in MLB history

John McMullen - Actually spent got the team to historical highs but that was a low bar to cross.  Fucked over Nolan Ryan so fuck that guy

Drayton McClane - Managed to get Biggio & Bagwell for ~15 years and absolutely refused spend on draft picks so we got nothing to show for it

Jim Crane - I thought I had hope for him after hiring Jeff Luhnow but the firing of Jeff Luhnow rather than suspending him for a year will haunt us

Rockets

Robert Breitbard - Doesn't really count was San Diego but sold to the group that moved em to Houston

Goldberg, Duddlesten, & Herskowitz - Got the team to Houston folded quickly

Irvin Kaplan - who? owned the team 2 years

James Talcott - who? owned the team a year

Kenneth Schnitzer - Brought in Moses Malone started winning on a clip the franchise hadn't seen

Maloof Family - Guess at least they didn't move the team to Vegas or Sacramento alienated Moses Malone

Charlie Thomas - Came in and botched the Malone trade went into tank mode pre lottery and won the coin flip twice.  Team passed on getting Jordan... twice

Les Alexander - See above he basically won with the talent amassed by Charlie Thomas and with Jordan taking a hiatus.  Never could rekindle the magic and kept clinging to mediocrity rather than short term pain for long term gain

Tilman Fertita - Was a Chris Paul injury away from pulling off the same trick his predecessor did.  I'll be shocked if this tenure ends in anything but a raging dumpster inferno.  If I look for an analogue across pro sports the closest owner I can find is Dan Snyder and look at how fucked that is.  I guess at least he's not Donald Sterling but #fml

Edited by Pimphand

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Mikhail Prokhorov went for broke when he majority owned the Nets. Let's hope Joseph Tsai does the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-reactions-celtics-nets-blockbuster-212836874.html

Yeah if Prokhorov was still around it'd be a lock.  I don't think Tsai is that dumb but even then Harden would have to be like 36 right? 😉

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

And for the record Tilman Fertita is a cocksucker of a human being.  Why can't Houston pro sports be owned by someone competent?  Les Alexander in his pursuit of eternal mediocrity was the best we've ever had.

Oilers / Texans

Bud Adams - I don't need to detail what a cocksucker this dipshit was

McNair Family - Historical incompetence showing extreme loyalty to mediocre to terrible (talent) individuals

Astros

Roy Hofheinz at least got us the team but god they were horrible then he sold to GE & Ford WTF?

GE Credit & Ford Credit - Absolute trainwreck some of the most putrid offenses in MLB history

John McMullen - Actually spent got the team to historical highs but that was a low bar to cross.  Fucked over Nolan Ryan so fuck that guy

Drayton McClane - Managed to get Biggio & Bagwell for ~15 years and absolutely refused spend on draft picks so we got nothing to show for it

Jim Crane - I thought I had hope for him after hiring Jeff Luhnow but the firing of Jeff Luhnow rather than suspending him for a year will haunt us

Rockets

Robert Breitbard - Doesn't really count was San Diego but sold to the group that moved em to Houston

Goldberg, Duddlesten, & Herskowitz - Got the team to Houston folded quickly

Irvin Kaplan - who? owned the team 2 years

James Talcott - who? owned the team a year

Kenneth Schnitzer - Brought in Moses Malone started winning on a clip the franchise hadn't seen

Maloof Family - Guess at least they didn't move the team to Vegas or Sacramento alienated Moses Malone

Charlie Thomas - Came in and botched the Malone trade went into tank mode pre lottery and won the coin flip twice.  Team passed on getting Jordan... twice

Les Alexander - See above he basically won with the talent amassed by Charlie Thomas and with Jordan taking a hiatus.  Never could rekindle the magic and kept clinging to mediocrity rather than short term pain for long term gain

Tilman Fertita - Was a Chris Paul injury away from pulling off the same trick his predecessor did.  I'll be shocked if this tenure ends in anything but a raging dumpster inferno.  If I look for an analogue across pro sports the closest owner I can find is Dan Snyder and look at how fucked that is.  I guess at least he's not Donald Sterling but #fml

I agree with this entire post except for the bolded. Shaq's Magic beat Jordan's Bulls in the Eastern Conference Semis in 1995. Also, the Rockets pretty much owned the Bulls (5-1) during the Bulls first 3peat (https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/04/the-jordan-rules-author-rockets-had-great-matchups-vs-90s-bulls/). It's a shame that Jordan and Hakeem never met in the Finals - it would have been a hell of a series and in no way a guaranteed win for Jordan, especially if Mad Max was guarding him.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

I agree with you on that front.  The officials royally fucked us in Seattle.  Prior to that we had owned the Suns too.

Some nostalgia there. NBA on NBC. I enjoyed the commentary of Steve "Snapper" Jones (RIP - he passed away in Houston). Those Sonics teams would give Olajuwon fits, but their defense would have been illegal by today's standards. Funny how George Karl went from being a coach known for defense with the Sonics to a coach known for offense with the Nuggets. Rudy T was looking pretty healthy back then, that is before the alcohol use got out of control. Many didn't know he was struggling with chronic pain from the punch courtesy of Kermit Washington.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:06 PM, Llogg said:

The Nets had a nice overachieving team a couple years ago and have been steadily working to fuck it up ever since.

That nets team was never going to have a chance to do anything significant. Harden Durant and Kyrie have a championship level ceiling. I’d much rather have the latter than the former. The floor is a dumpster fire mess obviously,  but it is a swing I would take if I was the nets. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You could suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Not if he’s “injured”.  Good luck fighting the nbapa and potentially muddying the waters with other ufas.  I get it.  It’s not fair but it’s the current environment if he really wants to leave.  Maybe he’ll listen to reason.

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not if he’s “injured”.  Good luck fighting the nbapa and potentially muddying the waters with other ufas.  I get it.  It’s not fair but it’s the current environment if he really wants to leave.  Maybe he’ll listen to reason.

There will be pushback from an owner at some point.   I’m not a Rockets fan, but your owner seems like the kind of guy who might tell Harden to go fuck himself.

58 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There will be pushback from an owner at some point.   I’m not a Rockets fan, but your owner seems like the kind of guy who might tell Harden to go fuck himself.

He will precisely tell a player to "Shut up and Listen!" And then go on to explain "Hard Business Truths that Will Help You Succeed." 

Ashley Brewer helps distract from the pain...even it is just for a few seconds.

Man, CP3 wanted to retire in Houston. Instead he got shipped off because Harden can't get along with anybody, we get fucking Westbrick in return, and then both Westbrick and Harden leave the following year? Harden fucked over Houston bad. He thinks the title window has closed here in Houston? That's all on him! Literally every move of the last decade or so has been to try and build around him. If the window's closed, it's because he couldn't deliver the title and nobody is willing to come to Houston to play with him anymore, not after he ran off both Dwight Howard and CP3.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Man, CP3 wanted to retire in Houston. Instead he got shipped off because Harden can't get along with anybody, we get fucking Westbrick in return, and then both Westbrick and Harden leave the following year? Harden fucked over Houston bad. He thinks the title window has closed here in Houston? That's all on him! Literally every move of the last decade or so has been to try and build around him. If the window's closed, it's because he couldn't deliver the title and nobody is willing to come to Houston to play with him anymore, not after he ran off both Dwight Howard and CP3.

It's Tillman's fault. Not Harden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pasken said:

It's Tillman's fault. Not Harden.

Sure, the buck stops with Tilman. But it's fairly common knowledge that Harden pushed to have CP3 moved and was only too happy to have his childhood buddy on the Rockets. Morey is guilty of enabling Harden's selfish behavior from the day Harden stepped foot in Houston (couldn't coexist with any other big name). Tilman thinks he knows everything and directed Morey to make Westbrook happen. Plenty of blame to go around.

Looks like the rebuild is officially starting. I really liked RoCo. Welcome back Trevor.

EDIT: Ariza's welcome might not last long since he has a partially guaranteed contract.

https://ripcityproject.com/2020/09/08/portland-trail-blazers-trevor-arizas-news/#:~:text=Before being traded to the,partially guaranteed at %241.8 million.

Edited by UDontKnow