Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

32 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

On our trip to Turks and Caicos, I was wearing a Texas shirt and a guy on the beach started a conversation about Texas football. Turns out he has been a coach in the NFL for 25 years with a lot of them as an offensive line coach. He was not a big fan on Flood. He said it's easy to coach when you have the best, but really didn't see Flood adding a lot to the development. I was surprised to say the least, but he is listed on the NFL team's roster as their offensive line coach.

Opinions are like assholes and such, so take it however you'd like.

I said a few weeks ago that herb hand would look great coaching at bama. it didn’t go over well but I stand by my statement. 

So is it a case of Flood trying to make his preferred OL body types work with Jones and Okafor? Thinking maybe Karic and Hayden need to get plugged in. I figured Majors would have a shaky start just being young and maybe needing more time to develop strength.

Curious to see what Scipio and others say after reviewing tape.

3 hours ago, Catpfish said:

On our trip to Turks and Caicos, I was wearing a Texas shirt and a guy on the beach started a conversation about Texas football. Turns out he has been a coach in the NFL for 25 years with a lot of them as an offensive line coach. He was not a big fan on Flood. He said it's easy to coach when you have the best, but really didn't see Flood adding a lot to the development. I was surprised to say the least, but he is listed on the NFL team's roster as their offensive line coach.

Opinions are like assholes and such, so take it however you'd like.

Is he available now?

3 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Well ... that's encouraging.

I had high hopes when Wickline was brought in. With Herb Hand, I sleuthed Auburn's fan sites and saw quite a few who were glad to see him go. Of course, there was plenty of hype and 9.95 sunshine pumped about him. So I was somewhat skeptical, but cautiously optimistic that maybe the fans were just sniping. Enter Flood with plenty of sunshine as well, but also a better sounding resume. But I was less than impressed with the performance against Louisiana and worried a script like tonight would play out going into this game. Couldn't have gone much worse than it did.

Okafor has always looked discombobulated under pass rushes and blitzes in previous seasons so surprised he was starting this season. But all the reports were Flood was coaching him and Jones up.

Edited by sith_horn

2 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

At what point do you stop pointing at the coaches and start questioning the talent pool from which you are recruiting linemen?  

Does every school in Texas or the Big12 suffer from the same phenomenon? Our previous staffs have not been able to figure it out. I don’t have much faith in this one, as of this point.

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Does every school in Texas or the Big12 suffer from the same phenomenon? Our previous staffs have not been able to figure it out. I don’t have much faith in this one, as of this point.

Well, look at the Big XII’s record the past decade for players taken in the NFL draft.    It’s not too good.  And a lot of Big XII members recruit their talent from the same place we do.

1 hour ago, Shaggybevo said:

Five Texas OL could not block three Arkansas DL. Game over.

Just that simple. I never played on the line, so maybe I am missing something, but Okafor often looks like he is mentally retarded, just waving his arms around and watching the defenders run past him. I simply don't believe there is not another player on this team that couldn't at least get his body in between them and the quaterback, at least slow them down, there are guys going past him literally untouched

At this point throw the youngins in there and see what they can do, can't be much worse than what was on display tonight. Okafor has been there since the Big Bang and he still looks clueless out there. When that Piggy got a cheap shot in on Card an OL should have backed his QB, but no. The whole unit is just soft as hell.

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

No way Jones should be starting. This pathetic. Put Karic in at half. 

PATHETIC... Karic needs to play more !!!

Jones looked slow and hurt.  Arky rushing only 3 and getting to the QB is a JOKE!!!  

Man we have some shit on the O-line -- Flood needs to rework his personnel and find a way open some running holes and protect these inexperienced QBs or else it's gonna be a very long season. 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

not getting one OL to portal is a huge red flag with Flood.  the OL recruiting at this point might mean Sark may have to put on his big boy pants pretty damn quick.

You mean bringing someone in or sending someone(s) into the portal?

That's what kind of blows me away, that a pretty long string of head and OL coaches seem not to be able to see that the OL is completely inadequate.  Then again, we know that OL is not subject to a quick fix, but seems like they'd piss on a spark plug or something.

at this point there is no way in fuck the younger guys are worse than the trash out there.  32 year old Okafor hasnt figured it out after 15 seasons he never will.  Jones is a massive soft pile of doo doo,  nfl body built with the toughness of richard simmons.   Put the young guys in learn their lessons, take some lickings and get some experience. but a warm body can at least stand in the way.  5 guys unable to block 3 is a joke 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, hookem48 said:

letting that guy hit card late and then not even giving a shit was about as bad as it gets

this right here,  not a single person on the o line stood up for his QB.  not a single one.  Ive watched highschool games where any late hit on any player and the team mates  the brothers the battles rush over to crush these offender for hitting their brother.  not a single slack jawed pussy out there did anything to defense hudson they jsut looked around like durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.   you kick that dude squarely in his throat for cheap shotting your QB and you send a message thats my QB dont touch him.

but then again we have a team full of pussies 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

You mean bringing someone in or sending someone(s) into the portal?

That's what kind of blows me away, that a pretty long string of head and OL coaches seem not to be able to see that the OL is completely inadequate.  Then again, we know that OL is not subject to a quick fix, but seems like they'd piss on a spark plug or something.

bringing someone in.  but to your point, no one portal'd out either(I think).  Its mind blowing its so bad for so long.  but when you recruit guys who don't really give a shit if they make the NFL that is what you get.  most of these guys just want the degree and for the smart ones a shot at a McCombs MBA.

I do agree that Texas High School football is a part of it.  there are fewer and fewer big time OL and those that are there we lose out on.  and here we are/were.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I do agree that Texas High School football is a part of it.  there are fewer and fewer big time OL and those that are there we lose out on.  and here we are/were.

Looking around at the other surprising games yesterday (USC, FSU, Notre Dame, even Ohio State), this is a national problem, not unique to Texas HS FB.  There are only a select few programs that "get it" with building productive depth at OL/DL, and two of them are unfortunately in the SEC.  

A head coach or offensive guru has the choice to either develop solid talent at the line or to scheme around it by stretching the field and using skill players with a quick release.  We've shown no experience to pursue either method.

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Looking around at the other surprising games yesterday (USC, FSU, Notre Dame, even Ohio State), this is a national problem, not unique to Texas HS FB.  There are only a select few programs that "get it" with building productive depth at OL/DL, and two of them are unfortunately in the SEC.  

A head coach or offensive guru has the choice to either develop solid talent at the line or to scheme around it by stretching the field and using skill players with a quick release.  We've shown no experience to pursue either method.

So what you are saying is good OL play is an "epidemic" in college football?

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

So what you are saying is good OL play is an "epidemic" in college football?

The very few who have figured out how to develop and retain consistently good OL play are in the CFP every year.  Also, they seem to be doing a few things differently than the rest with recruiting and honoring scholarships/starting positions.   

16 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Offense looked decent with Thompson in the game 

Not knocking on Casey here but he had more time in the pocket on several of his passes. He wasn't facing near the blitzkrieg at that point of the game. That's not to say he shouldn't have been plugged in earlier though. I think Sark didn't want Card to feel shorted on his chance to right the rudder while making mistakes as a freshman QB on the road, but gave him too much opportunity given the circumstances IMO. We'll never know if the game would have turned out differently had Thompson started the game from the get-go. There is only so much that can be done when the OL play is that disastrous.

14 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Not knocking on Casey here but he had more time in the pocket on several of his passes. He wasn't facing near the blitzkrieg at that point of the game. That's not to say he shouldn't have been plugged in earlier though. I think Sark didn't want Card to feel shorted on his chance to right the rudder while making mistakes as a freshman QB on the road, but gave him too much opportunity given the circumstances IMO. We'll never know if the game would have turned out differently had Thompson started the game from the get-go. There is only so much that can be done when the OL play is that disastrous.

That's why u start casey game 1.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2