Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For A&M to extend an already ridiculously stupid contract, so early in that contract, is mind bottling to me. They receive no benefit whatsoever for doing that. None. 

This was all about LSU. There is buzz from both the LSU and Aggy side that they were already in talks with Jimbo trying to work out a deal for if/when they replace the ogre. Highly doubt LSU could or would match the terms he was already getting but this makes it that much harder to walk away even if LSU is the better gig. 

As to the timing there is some grumbling they've lost momentum over the summer with a few key targets due to negative recruiting from the rest of the SEC all claiming Jimbo is gone after this year. 'Why join that irrelevant program that will be 6-6 every yr once Jimbo walks?' is being pushed hard by Georgia to certain guys they are battling over. Could be why they pushed the extension now instead of waiting to see if the LSU job even came open first. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

LSU knows they can pay 5-6m for a good coach, get new coach bump with their athletes, and still beat Jimbo.   

Or said differently, that extra $2m and several years the rubes are paying doesn’t really impact Jumbi’s decision to leave unless you believe he would ONLY leave for LSU for the difference between $7m and call it $8m (what LSU theoretically would have paid), which is a major major assumption that is likely wrong. He would leave for a thousand reasons other than just that ~$1m. Thus the $2m doesn’t get them anything. 

20 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

This was all about LSU. There is buzz from both the LSU and Aggy side that they were already in talks with Jimbo trying to work out a deal for if/when they replace the ogre. Highly doubt LSU could or would match the terms he was already getting but this makes it that much harder to walk away even if LSU is the better gig. 

As to the timing there is some grumbling they've lost momentum over the summer with a few key targets due to negative recruiting from the rest of the SEC all claiming Jimbo is gone after this year. 'Why join that irrelevant program that will be 6-6 every yr once Jimbo walks?' is being pushed hard by Georgia to certain guys they are battling over. Could be why they pushed the extension now instead of waiting to see if the LSU job even came open first. 

Interesting. Should be noted that LSU is already paying Coach O $9mm a year though, Jimbo has no buyout, and O can probably be fired for cause with all this Title IX stuff, voiding his buyout. So other than the 10-year guarantee, matching this might not even really be a financial hit to LSU.

So then the question is whether this new contract implies Jimbo is actually committed to Aggy. On one hand, you'd think so. On the other, Jimbo has a history of pushing for more money with no regard for loyalty, he made sure to maintain the no buyout, and why wouldn't he take money on the table before even knowing if LSU is an option? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like LSU is paying the O $8.5 million ish including a split $5 million life insurance policy paid in the first two years. If they want Jimbo at $9 million it shouldn't be that hard to hit. Would anybody put it past that school to redirect some emergency funds into the AD and secure Jimbo for 2022? Add the lack of a buyout for Jimbo and getting rid of O and you have a perfect storm brewing in BR. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If I'm LSU, Napier still has to earn the job before he can be the guy. ULL->LSU is a huge jump in the first place and if ULL regresses at all this year, he may be out of the running.

Freeze would be a good option football-wise but probably still being unofficially blocked by the SEC.

After that, not sure where they go. Fleck has lost his shine. Joe Brady is being mentioned on their boards. Wouldn't shock me but he likes the NFL and has no HC experience so probably too green for all that the LSU job entails. All that considered, if they can make a run at Jimbo with Woodward, his buddy, as AD, they sure as hell will try. If I'm LSU, Jimbo and Kiffin (if he does well this year) are my top 2 targets.

To be clear, I'd still be surprised if they poach Jimbo. But I don't think Jimbo's new contract rules it out and the TX/OU SEC move makes the Aggy job even harder.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just can't see Jimbo leaving for LSU. He's already recruiting very well for aggy now, so why would he want to start over? Yeah it's LSU and they always get talent, but Jimbo is already milking aggy for all they're worth and this is his retirement. 

Agree.  And he would immediately be under the gun at LSU whereas, he's built tons of fan equity at aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jimbo took over fsu as hc in 2010. He won a title in year 4 with a RS freshman qb and was reportedly on the outs and had a terrible roster by year and was gone after year 8. 

so now it’s year 4 for him again, and his team is almost certainly a regression from last year, and again has a RS freshman qb but after 1 game…is not Winston. So has he already missed his window to win it all before character issues degrade the roster?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jimbo took over fsu as hc in 2010. He won a title in year 4 with a RS freshman qb and was reportedly on the outs and had a terrible roster by year and was gone after year 8. 

so now it’s year 4 for him again, and his team is almost certainly a regression from last year, and again has a TS freshman qb but after 1 game…is not Winston. So has he already missed his window to win it all before character issues degrade the roster?  

Their roster gets gutted after this year too. Basically the entire defense leaves, Spiller, maybe Smith, the TE, and Green

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Their roster gets gutted after this year too. Basically the entire defense leaves, Spiller, maybe Smith, the TE, and Green

Isn't the Tennessee transfer that started at LT in his last year?  They've recruited good on the DL, they'll still be good at that spot.  Hansford is gone at LB and so are all the CB's minus Jaylon Jones.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Isn't the Tennessee transfer that started at LT in his last year?  They've recruited good on the DL, they'll still be good at that spot.  Hansford is gone at LB and so are all the CB's minus Jaylon Jones.

Yeah I think so. Add him to the list too

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

But they’re not.  The hallmark of being aggy is not accepting that aggy is little brother and irrationally insisting that aggy is the best at everything.  

…and then making excuses when things go as usual for their season, absolving their coaches and players of any responsibility until they decide they need to go. 

If I understand Jimbo’s deal correctly, why would he ever leave A&M voluntarily? He’s guaranteed what, $9mm/yr for 10 years under this new deal? Why should he care about whether he wins the SEC or not, if they have to pay him anyway? Don’t like 5-7? Fuck you, pay me. For 10 freakin’ years! As others have said, he never needs another contract even if they fire him in 3-4 years, that’s just an early retirement plan. He’s not some young up and comer that has  20-25 years ahead of him. As long as he doesn’t give them reason to fire him for cause, he’ll never get a better deal than those suckers gave him. 

14 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If I understand Jimbo’s deal correctly, why would he ever leave A&M voluntarily? He’s guaranteed what, $9mm/yr for 10 years under this new deal? Why should he care about whether he wins the SEC or not, if they have to pay him anyway? Don’t like 5-7? Fuck you, pay me. For 10 freakin’ years! As others have said, he never needs another contract even if they fire him in 3-4 years, that’s just an early retirement plan. He’s not some young up and comer that has  20-25 years ahead of him. As long as he doesn’t give them reason to fire him for cause, he’ll never get a better deal than those suckers gave him. 

As long as he can tolerate living in BCS and put up with the constant embarrassments associated with all things aggy, yeah he's..... modestly overpaid. 🤣

Kent State was a bad MAC team and they hung around for the first half.  That awful D intercepted King twice.  Colorado is a bottom dweller PAC 12 team, but they will play better on defense than Kent State.  aggy will probably win on the road, but I believe it will be close- something like 24-17.  Colorado gets a few breaks, King shits the bed,  and it might be an upset.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Kent State was a bad MAC team and they hung around for the first half.  That awful D intercepted King twice 3x.  Colorado is a bottom dweller PAC 12 team, but they will play better on defense than Kent State.  aggy will probably win on the road, but I believe it will be close- something like 24-17.  Colorado gets a few breaks, King shits the bed,  and it might be an upset.  

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Kent State was a bad MAC team and they hung around for the first half.  That awful D intercepted King twice.  Colorado is a bottom dweller PAC 12 team, but they will play better on defense than Kent State.  aggy will probably win on the road, but I believe it will be close- something like 24-17.  Colorado gets a few breaks, King shits the bed,  and it might be an upset.  

tenor.gif

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 2

Ha. Probably not. Just think aggy has enough talent to over come the qb online concerns. Maybe in typical aggy fashion they find a way to fuck it up. Go auburn, LSU, one of the Mississippi schools. Other than those (already including a bama loss) don’t see a L. 

Edited by mantis toboggan

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Or said differently, that extra $2m and several years the rubes are paying doesn’t really impact Jumbi’s decision to leave unless you believe he would ONLY leave for LSU for the difference between $7m and call it $8m (what LSU theoretically would have paid), which is a major major assumption that is likely wrong. He would leave for a thousand reasons other than just that ~$1m. Thus the $2m doesn’t get them anything. 

I don't know what Fisher wants to do. I don't know what he will do.

I do know that he's proven to be a pretty ruthless guy when it comes to money. Maybe A&M is making it harder for him to leave by giving him $2MM more this year. They also may be making it easier for him to do exactly what he wants because they've made him so fucking rich.

LSU has their state of great players locked down as far as recruiting. A&M has lost their only selling point against Texas and OU in battling for this state's recruits. Does Jimbo want to play Texas and OU every year with so much on the line?

His pal is AD at LSU and it's not some weird cult. 

If you had $20-30MM banked, would you do what you wanted to do or what paid best?

Has Fisher ever made his enthusiasm for A&M clear? 

Edited by RomaVicta
Dang. Somebody already made this point in fewer words. Well done.

14 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

True. I hope they lose every game. Problem is even with the qb and ol concerns the defense and running game with that schedule calls for a floor of 8 or 9 wins. 

Aggy getting 8 wins this year would be absolutely fantastic. They think they are going to beat Bama and get to the CFP this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Arrestee Michael Clemons is back after one game "indefinate suspension."

Texas A&M senior defensive end Micheal Clemons was arrested on Thursday evening by university police on a multitude of charges. 

The charges include unlawful carrying of a weapon, failure to identify/giving false information, less than two ounces of marijuana possession and driving with an invalid license. He was released Friday morning on a combined $11,400 bond, according to the Houston Chronicle. 

Clemons has been suspended "indefinitely" by the team,

Jimbo is getting the band back together. I wonder if he wants to ensure a good season in case he wants to jump or if he's simply being Jimbo.

• Haha 1