Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Every year we say Elko is probably leave, yet here he is. He's not going anywhere, unfortunately. I wish that mf'er would, but he won't. 

Eh, based on reporters saying how much he wants to be a head coach he seems to be waiting on an actually good job, not a Temple or Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That's exactly what I think. I just don't think he'll even be offered a high level HC position, so he's a lifer as a D Coordinator, which sucks until he bounces to another team. 

I think Elko would leave for Rutgers, BC, Maryland, and Pitt. Maybe. A blue blood won’t hire a DC with zero coaching experience. Even then, I’m not sure. The guy makes a fantastic salary and doesn’t have to deal with many of the HC headaches.  

Temple is probably too small. He could call their AD right now and get the job. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Elko would leave for Rutgers, BC, Maryland, and Pitt. Maybe. A blue blood won’t hire a DC with zero coaching experience. Even then, I’m not sure. The guy makes a fantastic salary and doesn’t have to deal with many of the HC headaches.  

Yep, agree 100% except for Rutgers or BC (more of a guess, but he could I suppose). He'd most definitely bolt for Pitt or Maryland, but I can't see them offering. And you're right, dude is making retirement money at aggy so why leave? He's also recruiting well 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This offseason will be one to watch. He loses a ton on that side of the ball. If he is going to go, this would be the year.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep, agree 100% except for Rutgers or BC (more of a guess, but he could I suppose). He'd most definitely bolt for Pitt or Maryland, but I can't see them offering. And you're right, dude is making retirement money at aggy so why leave? He's also recruiting well 

I think he’d be a good HC. He definitely deserves a chance instead of some retreads. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What about a DC position at USC with more money?

52 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This offseason will be one to watch. He loses a ton on that side of the ball. If he is going to go, this would be the year.

If Michigan were to fire harbaugh and hire Campbell that might give Elko a pretty damn good first head coaching gig at Iowa state. This isn’t directed at you but I looked at the stats for the Kent state game and holy fuck the only pass Calzada attempted was intercepted hahahahahaha. Sorry if somebody already brought that up. Clickity clack sheep fuckers

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

One reason I can think of is if he gets sick of dealing with the issue kids that jimbo recruits/makes him recruit- like the guys that have been arrested the past couple of months. 
no idea if he cares or not, or has reason to believe he would do it differently if he was a head coach.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Was Jimbo playing coward ball against Kent State and running the clock down to two seconds before every snap?  Or does he just do that against better teams so he can trade a chance of winning to avoid a blowout?

He’s done that with Mond and did it at FSU except he tempered it a bit with Winston. Especially with a young QB and OL, they’re going to get set and take a look at the defense unless it really is two minute drill time.  His style is also very much TOP oriented, run more plays than the other team.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s making more than most G5 and plenty of P5 coaches now. He does want to be an HC but I agree that he’s waiting for a P5 job with some potential to win to open up. He does seem to be working hard to keep those East Coast connections active. Maryland, Pitt, maybe Syracuse or BC would tempt him. 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, Tex-19 said:

If I'm LSU, Napier still has to earn the job before he can be the guy. ULL->LSU is a huge jump in the first place and if ULL regresses at all this year, he may be out of the running.

Freeze would be a good option football-wise but probably still being unofficially blocked by the SEC.

After that, not sure where they go. Fleck has lost his shine. Joe Brady is being mentioned on their boards. Wouldn't shock me but he likes the NFL and has no HC experience so probably too green for all that the LSU job entails. All that considered, if they can make a run at Jimbo with Woodward, his buddy, as AD, they sure as hell will try. If I'm LSU, Jimbo and Kiffin (if he does well this year) are my top 2 targets.

To be clear, I'd still be surprised if they poach Jimbo. But I don't think Jimbo's new contract rules it out and the TX/OU SEC move makes the Aggy job even harder.

Based on what? A covid year where the entire BiG 10 had their shit pushed and competing against Ohio State last week? Fleck’s still plenty shiny. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He seems to have Venables Syndrome. The prognosis is a lifetime of coordinating. 

yeah, this is not the truth on Eklo vs Venables.

Venables has taken very few interviews to be a head coach.

Elko has taken multiple interviews both of the last offseasons.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

yeah, this is not the truth on Eklo vs Venables.

Venables has taken very few interviews to be a head coach.

Elko has taken multiple interviews both of the last offseasons.

Yup, it's quite clear Venables wants to be that Bud Foster career path while Elko does appear to want to be a HC. He's just waiting for the right job which could open up there year at multiple other schools. Some of those schools could be:

Michigan
Nebraska
Virginia Tech
Texas Tech
Syracuse

Always a potential for Helton to be fired at USC
LSU but I don't think they'd go that route.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup, it's quite clear Venables wants to be that Bud Foster career path while Elko does appear to want to be a HC. He's just waiting for the right job which could open up there year at multiple other schools. Some of those schools could be:

Michigan
Nebraska
Virginia Tech
Texas Tech
Syracuse

Always a potential for Helton to be fired at USC
LSU but I don't think they'd go that route.

An alcoholic and philanderer who would never pass the background check required to lead a program?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2021 at 5:15 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Can you explain your rationale here?

well i'm an optimist.

but we also continue to get more athletic across the board, especially in the secondary. jardin gilbert, antonio johnson, tyreek chappell are all going to be speed upgrades and i think the young lb's will prove better than what we send out this year, as i like hansford but he's just not a playmaker inside. jackson will be playing for a paycheck and the athleticism at de should be better as well. 

as long as we're paying top dollar and keep these defensive coaches, we should be fine on that side of the ball. can we score enough to be a playoff team? yet to be determined. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Haynes King will be a gamer
Can't put this one into the 'I know' category until we actually see it on the field in live game action (and eventually in intensely competitive SEC contests) but Haynes King has all the makings of a 'gamer' — the kind of quarterback who just has a knack for completing the pressure pass or finding the sticks via a scramble or by extending a play when it matters most. I think this kid is going to be very fun to watch...as long as you're not an SEC defensive coordinator.

The offensive line will be solid early and good late
Arguably the biggest question mark heading into this season considering the fact that Josh Henson's unit was a team strength last year and must replace four senior starters. However, there was reason for optimism entering fall camp and even more so now that Henson and Fisher have had a month to see what they have to work with in the offensive trenches.

0148923-yltd-240x135.jpg
Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Bryce Foster looks SEC-ready and should get to prove it early on.

Kenyon Green is an All-American now manning the right tackle spot. Jahmir Johnson started parts of three seasons at Tennessee and played well. He's looked good on the left side of the line, where Deuce Fatheree will play early and often as the gifted true freshman is way ahead of where most thought he'd be. Bryce Foster looks like a future star — an All-SEC/All-American type talent — at center and fourth-year man Luke Matthews has used some time off to get healthy. He's returned to practice and the center position suddenly looks like a strength. At guard, both Akinola Ogunbiyi and Layden Robinson look ready for their Saturday turn and are down-the-road NFL talents.

When it comes to offensive line play, experience and having a cohesive five is incredibly important. The Ags leaned on both to win a lot of games last fall. However, raw talent is a big part of the equation too, and A&M will have plenty of that along the OL. I think this unit starts off solid and ends up being very good throughout the second half of the season.

I think I'm concerned about the cornerback position and the domino effect
More specifically, I'm worried about Myles Jones' foot injury. He missed a couple of games to close out the 2020 season because of it and also missed the back half of spring ball. The super senior has been out of action for a couple of weeks leading into the Ags' season-opener, which has to be a concern for Mike Elko. While I'm expecting we'll see No. 0 out there in short order, foot injuries have a tendency to linger, and Myles and Jaylon Jones are the Ags' only two proven commodities at the position. Brian George enjoyed a solid camp and Tyreek Chappell seems ahead of the true freshman curve, but a healthy Myles Jones makes a very big difference at a vitally important position. On a related note, I think the ability to occasionally move Antonio Johnson to his natural deep safety spot is something Elko would love to have. Jaylon Jones might be the best bet at nickel on those downs, but the DC may not have the ability to play that particular chess piece without proper (experienced) depth at corner.

I think Devon Achane is Texas A&M's best shot to win a Heisman Trophy currently on campus. Yes, that damned good.

I know Devon Achane is going to be a breakout star in 2021
The sophomore speedster is a known commodity following his Orange Bowl MVP performance, but based on what he flashed as a true freshman last season and the buzz he's generated throughout fall camp, Devon Achane is poised to emerge as one of college football's most exciting and explosive offensive weapons. What Devon is doing as a running back and pass-catcher (out of the backfield or motioned out to receiver) and what he is likely to do as the Ags' primary kick returner is going to have the college football world abuzz in short order. I think he's Texas A&M's best shot to win a Heisman Trophy currently on campus. Yes, that damned good.

I know folks are still sleeping on Ainias Smith and Isaiah Spiller
Spiller has earned plenty of pre-season accolades, but I still get the feeling folks aren't giving the First-Team All-SEC back his just due. He's run for roughly 2,000 yards in two seasons, and that includes playing just ten games last fall. Isaiah left a couple of games early during his All-Conference sophomore campaign when he looked poised to threaten 200 yards and also didn't get the chance to carve up Ole Miss' swiss cheese run defense in November. He entered camp in supreme shape (around 210 very lean pounds), picked up a step during the off-season and was terrific throughout fall camp. Need to start seeing #28's name on the back end of some of these Heisman top-10 lists because Spiller is set to run wild as a junior. As for Ainias Smith, he's an All-American playmaker who is going to show up on highlight reels all season, be it as a receiver, running back or punt returner. Dude just might be the most valuable player on the preseason No. 6 team in the country.

I think Alabama at Texas A&M on October 9 will be one of the three biggest games of the college football season
...and the most anticipated game in the Southeastern Conference in 2021. You'll see why I say 'I think’ in my next note, but the Ags will be heavily favored to be 5-0 and likely ranked somewhere around 4th or 5th when an Alabama squad that should arrive in College Station unbeaten, battle-tested (Miami, Florida and Ole Miss prior to the Ags) and ranked No. 1 in the country. A top-five showdown at Kyle Field at night against Nick Saban and the defending national champs? We'd be talking about the most high-profile game ever played at Kyle Field...complete with countless recruits spanning the entire country and three classes in attendance.

I know the path to set up the Alabama showdown is more dangerous than most reading this article believe
The path to 5-0 for the Aggies isn't going to be easy for Jimbo Fisher and Co. Even if the Ags end up being one of the top four (playoff), five or even ten teams in the country in 2021, they may not be quite that good early in the season. A tricky road trip to play an improved Colorado team in the Rocky Mountains next weekend, the always dangerous tilt with Arkansas at Jerryworld (this time against a Razorback squad returning 19 starters) and a Mike Leach-led Mississippi State team looking for redemption at Kyle Field stand in the way of an epic A&M-Bama showdown. Last year, the Ags beat both the Razorbacks and Bulldogs handily, and the last time we saw the Buffs, Tom Herman looked like a competent coach in his last game in Burnt Orange as the Longhorns rolled in the Alamo Bowl. All three programs are entering year two of a new regime and are expected to take a significant step forward. It shouldn't be enough to score a win over a top-10 foe but, frankly, I'd be pleasantly surprised if the Aggies didn't find themselves in a four-quarter fight or two along the way considering their inexperience on offense and navigating early-season rust.

0137167-kqhn-240x135.jpg
Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
Stars like Spiller and Smith seem finely tuned and ready to meet or exceed high expectations this season.

I know the Aggie stars have performed like stars during fall camp, which is a very good sign
When names like Leal, Green, Wydermyer, Spiller, Smith, Achane and Richardson keep popping up during my daily fall camp conversations, I start to feel really good about where the Aggies are at in terms of leadership and overall program culture. I also know that the guys Jimbo Fisher and Co. are going to need to lean on in the biggest moments and biggest games have prepared for the SEC gauntlet and are determined to kick the playoff door in. This could be one of those seasons where Texas A&M actually places more SEC names on the post-season All-Conference list than they did during the summer, which would bode very well for an Aggie team loaded with talent at the top.

Speaking of, I think the Aggies have the best offensive tackle, defensive end and tight end in the Southeastern Conference. They also quite possibly have the best tailback and two of the very best all-purpose threats in Ainias and Achane.

I know Chase Lane is ready to take the next step
Program insiders have been raving about Chase Lane throughout August, as he's been one of the Ags' most consistent and dynamic players throughout fall camp. The sophomore is brimming with confidence following a rock-solid 2020 campaign that saw him catch 29 passes for 409 yards and two scores. Included among those grabs were several clutch plays in the second half of big wins over Florida, Auburn and North Carolina. When talking about big-play threats in the A&M offense and potential go-to targets for Haynes King, don't make the mistake of leaving Lane's name out of the discussion.

Both Foster and Turner are grown men in the trenches and, even though they're just two months removed from high school, are ready for SEC West football.

I know true freshmen Shemar Turner and Bryce Foster are bad, bad dudes in the trenches.
Don't be surprised to see both five-star true freshmen wind up starting by the time SEC play rolls around. This Aggie roster boasts a ton of depth, but both Foster and Turner are grown men in the trenches and, even though they're just two months removed from high school, are ready for SEC West football. Recruiting is an inexact science, but there are a handful of can't-miss and must-have targets each and every cycle. These two will follow in the footsteps of Jaylon Jones, McKinnley Jackson, DeMarvin Leal, Kenyon Green and Bobby Brown in terms of five-star signees under Fisher who made it clear from day one that they were going to live up to and even exceed the hype.

I know folks (including myself) haven't mentioned enough how strong A&M's special teams could be this season
Seth Small is a proven senior who has his hands full holding off Caden Davis (who is also a lethal weapon on kickoffs) for the starting job, and Nik Constantinou has an absolute cannon attached to his hip at punter. Throw in Smith and Achane in the return game and a proven deep snapper that Fisher calls the best he's been around, and special teams has the potential to be a team strength...something you'd probably be able to say about most championship-winning teams over the years.

Finally, I think the Aggies are better than all but one team on the 2021 schedule (Bama) and probably about even with one other (LSU)
but my prediction for this team is going to land on an 11-2 final record, with a second consecutive New Year's Six bowl win. Oh yeah, and if the Ags beat the Bayou Bengals and Ed O is 1-3 against Jimbo Fisher and A&M, heads will explode on the Bayou.

roller-coaster-going-up.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That would be 5 high schools in 4 years? It’s rare that kids like that turn out well once they get to college. 

IMG is probably his best shot. At least they can give him some decent advice about how to properly get positioned to make some $$$. Maybe they can talk some sense into him bc he has been getting bad advice so far. 

IMG is an eligibility / get me paid factory. The Bear is doing exactly what a person in his position should do. 

If it wasn't guaranteed to backfire in our faces, I'd be in favor of sending Bledsoe there. At least we could cross grades off the concern list. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis