Andrew Luck to retire

Radical Larry

To look at the whole picture, in its totalitarianism, he's smart as fuck and either is going to be a brilliant coach, or supposedly he wanted to be an architect.  I think he studied under Kim Green, among others, when she was a visiting prof at Stanford.

I hope he doesn’t waste his life coaching
  • Like 2

If he had lied and said he was leaving because of repeated head trauma, people would be gently stroking his cock as he rode off into retirement. The lesson here is: Always lie.

I don't blame him for quitting, he shouldn't play if his desire is gone. It's like staying in a shitty marriage. His timing sucks but whatever. I wish I was 29 and rich, don't need to work and getting ready to travel all over. Wait, now I DO hate him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so what about his teammates? I'm sure they're staying up late planning Lucks retirement party.

They were 15/1 to win the super bowl. I bet you can put a 0 behind that 15 now. Total gut punch to that city, fans and teammates.

It's very easy for us as non Colt fans to say "hope he enjoys it..I would too" blah blah. But this timing is pretty selfish imo. Fucks a lot of people not named Jim Irsay

I'm pretty sure his teammates will still get paid.

• Like 1

Jacoby Brisset is actually a pretty decent qb, so luckily they have him. I always felt like he could step in for a team that had a lot of talent around them and be a solid qb. His problem has always been stepping into Andrew Luck’s shoes, where Luck always has to carry that team. Put him on a team like the Vikings and he’s probably a competent starter. 

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Did his dad offer him a job working in the XFL's front office?

Wouldn't be surprised if Oliver Luck had young Andrew go to law school - like he did after football was over - and then maybe get him into the ranks of football management or college athletics.

Jacoby Brisset is actually a pretty decent qb, so luckily they have him. I always felt like he could step in for a team that had a lot of talent around them and be a solid qb. His problem has always been stepping into Andrew Luck’s shoes, where Luck always has to carry that team. Put him on a team like the Vikings and he’s probably a competent starter. 
Damn..the shade here is strong

A lot of people criticizing the timing of the announcement. I think it's possible, if not probable, that the Colts have known for awhile that he was either going to retire or at least that there was a very good chance of it if he didn't get to 100%. They knew what was up but didn't want to announce it before they've sold as many season tickets and as much merch as they could. Quid pro quo where he does that and gets to keep his 24mm.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

Jesus. In that first video you can clearly hear some knuckle dragger scream "fuck Luck" as he's walking into the tunnel. If I were Luck I'd have gone from the stadium to a jet port, never to be seen in that sorry ass state again.

Warren Sharp of @SharpFootball tweeted a remarkable stat last night. From 2012 - 2015, Colt's GM Ryan Grigson drafted a total of 3 OL before the 7th round: Hugh Thornton, Jack Mewhort, and Khaled Holmes. That's a steaming pile of shit right there. If THAT'S the best an organization can do to protect its most valuable asset during his key developmental years then it's not acting in the best interest of the franchise, the fans and certainly not the player. Deshaun Watson & his agent better be taking notes.

• Like 2

I read that several fans took off their Luck jerseys at the stadium as a sign of protest/disgust.  

The only thing sadder than a grown man wearing a jersey to an NFL game is seeing a grown man with no shirt on at an NFL game.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I read that several fans took off their Luck jerseys at the stadium as a sign of protest/disgust.  

The only thing sadder than a grown man wearing a jersey to an NFL game is seeing a grown man with no shirt on at an NFL game.  

Nonsense. They're from Indiana: I'm sure their bodies are beacons of good health and good decisions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

For those complaining about timing, this is far different than, say, Ricky Williams just outright retiring just before the season starts. We don't know what's going on with Luck's rehab, his recovery timeline, what the doctor told him about his long term health... For all we know, he had a huge setback within the last 6 weeks, had a second opinion, and was given some bad news. Look at that list from TonyTexas. Doc might have said, "Andrew, you can play again, but the next hit you take might keep you from walking next to your children 10 years from now." He just had a kid in June, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that factored into this.

Haven't we had enough evidence of what this sport does to people long term? I don't know how anybody on this message board who has seen Earl Campbell's life over the last 10 years think that Andrew Luck, or any player at any age for that matter, are wrong for valuing their long term health over the game. The Gladiator Era of football is over, people.

• Like 3

As far as the timing goes, it seems like Luck was making every effort to be ready for the season and just realized it wasn't going to happen.  Everyone that mattered in the organization probably knew he was going to hang it up if he didn't get right by Week 1, but that he was giving himself the most time to see if he could make a go of it.

Anyone upset at this is really just upset that they're a wage slave like everyone else and can't up and quit like Luck.  Dude played well for the Colts, got absolutely wrecked physically in doing so, and is leaving while he isn't dead/crippled/so mush-brained that life isn't worth living.  If there is anyone to be upset with it's the Colt's management for a) never protecting their star QB and b) after deciding to not protect their star QB doing nothing to find a legitimate replacement for him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

As far as the timing goes, it seems like Luck was making every effort to be ready for the season and just realized it wasn't going to happen.  Everyone that mattered in the organization probably knew he was going to hang it up if he didn't get right by Week 1, but that he was giving himself the most time to see if he could make a go of it.

Anyone upset at this is really just upset that they're a wage slave like everyone else and can't up and quit like Luck.  Dude played well for the Colts, got absolutely wrecked physically in doing so, and is leaving while he isn't dead/crippled/so mush-brained that life isn't worth living.  If there is anyone to be upset with it's the Colt's management for a) never protecting their star QB and b) after deciding to not protect their star QB doing nothing to find a legitimate replacement for him. 

I'd not be shocked if he takes the year and comes back to the NFL fully rested and healthy.   The Colts not trying to claw back money from him suggests this might be an option.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Willing to bet they had their Bobby Knight shirts on underneath. 

4 hours ago, petscii said:

I'd not be shocked if he takes the year and comes back to the NFL fully rested and healthy.   The Colts not trying to claw back money from him suggests this might be an option.

Or it's because the Colts know he has a legit medical reason for retiring and understand his decision.

Edited by kevwun

I think Luck's decision is interesting based on what we now know about head injuries and opioid addiction.

Listening to him talk about his body's constant state of damage and pain, I just kept hearing him say "I don't want CTE and I don't want to be hooked on pain pills, and it seems highly probable that these will likely result if I keep going like I'm going."

He's a really smart guy who has already made a lot of money...it makes sense for him to walk away now. It'll be interesting to see if this becomes more common. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Or it's because the Colts know he has a legit medical reason for retiring and understand his decision.

I see it as they don't want to burn any bridges and letting him know he has a place to come back to if he wants to come back ala Witten. But I really doubt he comes back. His body has taken so much of a beating and it wears on your physically and mentally to keep rehabbing and missing time. the Colts did zero to protect him with an OL his whole career until the last year. So maybe they feel responsible for this.