Andrew Luck to retire

Radical Larry

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

For what we were told he was going to be? Yes. He was supposedly going to be the next great QB. He made as many conference championship games as Blake Bortles. #1 pick that was a good player but never was great and never got the Colts to what they expected to be when Manning was there. They dropped off big time from that era.

You have some stupid football takes, but this may your dumbest ever. Andrew Luck was not a bust.

The Colts not getting to where they expected is their own fucking fault. They put absolute shit players around him his whole career until last year. 

• Like 6

Good dude by all accounts. Was tired of getting beat the fuck Up. We didn’t get to see what he really could have been bc the Colts have a dumb fuck owner with no real plan. I’d be pissed if I was a Colts fan bc of the timing... he’s made more money than he will ever need so go enjoy your life. I’d do the same shit. 

Doyel:

INDIANAPOLIS – Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck announced Saturday night he was retiring, and for a moment he couldn’t breathe. He was crying. He was catching his breath and apologizing.

Andrew Luck said he was retiring and his coach, Frank Reich, was watching with red eyes. He’d been crying.

Andrew Luck said he was retiring, and his general manager, Chris Ballard, was staring into the distance. He was listening. He was hurting. His eyes were red, too. When Luck thanked Ballard, the GM’s tears started to come again.

Andrew Luck said he was retiring, and his owner, Jim Irsay, squinted his eyes and nodded his head. He’s the one who seemed to see this coming. He’s the one who told us about “the 4-inch field between (Luck’s) ears” during that 2017 preseason when Luck’s shoulder injury wasn’t healing. The injury cost him the season and set him on the road he traveled Saturday night, tired of the pain, the injury now in his calf, his ankle, his head.

“For the last four years or so,” Luck said, “I’ve been in this cycle of injury, pain, rehab – injury, pain, rehab – and it’s been unceasing, unrelenting, both in-season and offseason. And I felt stuck in it, and the only way I see out is to no longer play football. It’s taken my joy of this game away.”

Luck was booed off the field Saturday night when the Colts played the Chicago Bears in the third preseason game, the news of his retirement breaking on Twitter during the second half. The fans who stuck around, they booed Luck off the field. And he heard it.

“Yeah,” he said, “it hurt. I’ll be honest. It hurt.”

Even so, Luck sounded like a man at peace, a man who has stared into the abyss and turned away. Football, once his favorite hobby, the source of such childlike joy, had become his dark place. He said he had been thinking about retiring for about 10 days, calling it “a moment of clarity” when the idea finally started to take shape. He said he’d been tired.

“I feel exhausted,” he said, sounding very much that, “and quite tired.”

As Luck talked on, cracking a bad joke – the only kind he ever told, the big goofball – about disappointing his mom by wearing a ratty shirt to his retirement, Ballard’s chin dropped lower and lower. He was staring into the carpet, into the future, the past, into whatever thoughts the general manager of one of the most improved rosters in football has when he sees the centerpiece, the franchise quarterback, announce his retirement with perhaps a decade left to play.

When Luck talked on, saying he returned from that lost 2017 season “simply because I liked throwing the ball to my friends, and I loved throwing the ball to T.Y. Hilton,” Frank Reich was looking around the room, trying to make sense of this unfathomable time and place.

When Luck talked on, mentioning his dear friend Jacoby Brissett and admitting that he “was very resentful of this fun, happy dude” – and then saying how wrong he’d been to feel that way about his backup quarterback, and the Colts’ starter going forward – his wife was watching with tears in her eyes.

Luck, the most private of public superstars, was opening up in a way he never has, telling us just how hard these last four years have been.

“I’ve been stuck in this process,” he said. “I haven’t been able to live the life I want to live. It’s taken the joy out of this game. After 2016 when I played in pain, and wasn’t regularly able to practice, I made a vow I wouldn’t go down that path again. The only way forward is to remove myself from this cycle. I came to the proverbial fork in the road, and made a vow if I ever did again I would choose me, in a sense.”

Luck threw us for one final curve a week ago, taking the field before the preseason game against the Browns and being caught on video running sideways, which he hadn’t been able to do, and throwing passes and smiling. He was laughing. And now we know why.

“I was thinking,” Luck said, “this is the last time I’ll throw the ball at Lucas Oil Stadium in a Colts uniform.”

He knew a week ago. As sudden as this decision was for the rest of us, Luck and his bosses – Reich, Ballard, Irsay – have known for almost a week. That’s bad news, because that makes this decision sound less rash, and more permanent.

This is the most shocking NFL retirement since all-time league rushing leader Jim Brown in 1966 at age 30, and perhaps the most shocking NFL retirement of all time.

“He’s leaving almost a half-billion on the table!” Irsay was saying, loudly, during his news conference, but also saying he understood. He knows Andrew. He knows this guy is different.

And it’s true: Andrew Luck is not like most people. He never played football for the money. He played it for the joy, and he’s telling us the joy is gone.

In the moment Saturday night, he was feeling relief. You could see it as Luck’s news conference rolled on and his answers began coming faster, the smiles growing, the memories of Hilton and Robert Mathis and Adam Vinatieri flowing.

Andrew Luck feels this shocker is the right decision. For his sake, please, let it be so.

13 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

He could have quit in the middle of a play for all I care.  The machine is going to survive just fine.  

Fuck the fans that are so removed from reality that they can’t accept it when a dude says he doesn’t want to stick his skull in a vice anymore because they might not get to cheer as loud the next few months. 

If you don’t like this post your mom will cry.  Don’t make mom cry.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Drunk

If you've ever treated people with chronic illnesses or pain, you can understand where he is coming from. fans want these guys to bear everything and then wonder in amazement in their documentaries later on that they were hooked on pain meds. The timing might be shocking, but the sentiment is not. Easy to forget that Gronk just retired at a relatively young age too and for the same reasons. 

the longer I stay in medicine, the more I come to realize that the saying about having your health is everything is not a cliche. 

• Like 4

He could have quit in the middle of a play for all I care.  The machine is going to survive just fine.  
Fuck the fans that are so removed from reality that they can’t accept it when a dude says he doesn’t want to stick his skull in a vice anymore because they might not get to cheer as loud the next few months. 
Ok so what about his teammates? I'm sure they're staying up late planning Lucks retirement party.

They were 15/1 to win the super bowl. I bet you can put a 0 behind that 15 now. Total gut punch to that city, fans and teammates.

It's very easy for us as non Colt fans to say "hope he enjoys it..I would too" blah blah. But this timing is pretty selfish imo. Fucks a lot of people not named Jim Irsay

• Like 1

If you've ever treated people with chronic illnesses or pain, you can understand where he is coming from. fans want these guys to bear everything and then wonder in amazement in their documentaries later on that they were hooked on pain meds. The timing might be shocking, but the sentiment is not. Easy to forget that Gronk just retired at a relatively young age too and for the same reasons. 
the longer I stay in medicine, the more I come to realize that the saying about having your health is everything is not a cliche. 
Gronk did the right thing and retired in like March after the super bowl honeymoon died down.

Plus gronks position isnt the most important position in professional sports.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so what about his teammates? I'm sure they're staying up late planning Lucks retirement party.

They were 15/1 to win the super bowl. I bet you can put a 0 behind that 15 now. Total gut punch to that city, fans and teammates.

It's very easy for us as non Colt fans to say "hope he enjoys it..I would too" blah blah. But this timing is pretty selfish imo. Fucks a lot of people not named Jim Irsay

Didn't Irsay basically toss Manning out as useless to bring Luck in?   I don't think a player owes an owner anything.  Let alone some POS fan.

• Like 1

Guy misses almost 2 full seasons due to injuries, Pro Bowls in 4, this in a seven year career with no offensive line or help from the franchise. Yeah, it looks douchey to walk away now, but the Colts never seemed to have his back. They weren’t loyal to him. Hard to hate on him sticking it back.

Didn't Irsay basically toss Manning out as useless to bring Luck in?   I don't think a player owes an owner anything.  Let alone some POS fan.

"Suck for luck" worked out minus the injuries.

And manning ended up winning a super bowl with denver and basically made a billion dollars. I think both sides came out all right

Again my post was talking about his team mates. Nobody in the colts front office but the guys on the field. I bet they're pissed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Again my post was talking about his team mates. Nobody in the colts front office but the guys on the field. I bet they're pissed

And I bet they are not.  They know they are trading their health and probably their lives for some slack jawed stand yokel.   The NFL cuts people loose and does not do anything if you are hurt.  There are any number of players willing to step up and fill that void.    The Colts were not winning with him..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah, his teammates are just blowing up twitter with their anger.  Wait, no they're not.  Luckily, they have you to tell us how they feel about it.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 5

And I bet they are not.  They know they are trading their health and probably their lives for some slack jawed stand yokel.   The NFL cuts people loose and does not do anything if you are hurt.  There are any number of players willing to step up and fill that void.    The Colts were not winning with him..

Ok sooo don't play football professionally then.

Theres nobody out there available that has 1/10th of luck's talent. Especially to come in with 2 week's left and learn the plays/ players.

The colts with luck is 1 Tom Brady or mahomes injury away from the AFC cg potentially.

Without him theyll probably win 4-6 games

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok sooo don't play football professionally then.

Theres nobody out there available that has 1/10th of luck's talent. Especially to come in with 2 week's left and learn the plays/ players.

The colts with luck is 1 Tom Brady or mahomes injury away from the AFC cg potentially.

Without him theyll probably win 4-6 games

Colin Kaepernick

• Like 1

Yeah, his teammates are just blowing up twitter with their anger.  Wait, no they're not.  Luckily, they have you to tell us how they feel about it.  
Some wows and good lucks to him from what I've read in the few I just looked at.

You actually think their mood is up 2 weeks before the season starts and the all pro quarterback just retired??

This isnt Vinaterie breaking a hip.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Luck hasn’t even practiced this summer, and the season is 2 weeks away. So it’s not like the team has suddenly been thrown into scramble mode.  

He got hurt like back in May, and still wasn’t practicing in August. So the team had to have known for a while he wasn’t right and might miss a few games minimum.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You have some stupid football takes, but this may your dumbest ever. Andrew Luck was not a bust.

The Colts not getting to where they expected is their own fucking fault. They put absolute shit players around him his whole career until last year. 

LMAO. You had me at the bold part.

I think Deadspin called this a few weeks back (when it comes to why he was injured/wasn’t practicing). The Colts owner said something with an “m” word describing what Luck was dealing with via lower leg injury. 

Myositis ossificans

When bone tissue/bones form inside muscles. It sounds painful. They have a great roster. I wish him well. Based on the Twitter from other players he is a well liked and respected player. It’s a blow to the fans and franchise but Brissett can handle it. 

22 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think Deadspin called this a few weeks back (when it comes to why he was injured/wasn’t practicing). The Colts owner said something with an “m” word describing what Luck was dealing with via lower leg injury. 

Myositis ossificans

When bone tissue/bones form inside muscles. It sounds painful. They have a great roster. I wish him well. Based on the Twitter from other players he is a well liked and respected player. It’s a blow to the fans and franchise but Brissett can handle it. 

Yeah I guess that's the bone condition I was referring to earlier. Seems like it might be playing a big role in his decision imho. But who knows.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I guess that's the bone condition I was referring to earlier. Seems like it might be playing a big role in his decision imho. But who knows.

It makes sense. Combined with other stuff.

i think his fellow athletes said it better than I ever could regarding his decision to retire which I know in my heart he didn’t take lightly.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27456715/what-sports-world-saying-andrew-luck-decision-retire

it’s shocking but he has been dealing with injuries that haven’t healed well. I can only speak from my own personal experience but I snapped my collarbone in half like a twig falling out of bed last summer (wish I had a better story) and had it rebuilt with a titanium plate and have been through tons of therapy and shit. I’m just a chick not some million dollar a year athlete but I have been rehabbing and there are places where I legit have zero feeling or numbness. I’ve just accepted perhaps nerve endings won’t ever be the same. I can’t then imagine how that would be if I then had to use my right arm/body to continue in my profession. Even with the “best care” money can buy. 

Luck seems like a good dude. I remember when he was injured a few years back starting a book club with all these old ladies and he seemed so happy. I wish that for him. Sorry for the long personal shit which is boring and I get that. I do kind of understand in a small way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It makes sense. Combined with other stuff.

i think his fellow athletes said it better than I ever could regarding his decision to retire which I know in my heart he didn’t take lightly.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27456715/what-sports-world-saying-andrew-luck-decision-retire

it’s shocking but he has been dealing with injuries that haven’t healed well. I can only speak from my own personal experience but I snapped my collarbone in half like a twig falling out of bed last summer (wish I had a better story) and had it rebuilt with a titanium plate and have been through tons of therapy and shit. I’m just a chick not some million dollar a year athlete but I have been rehabbing and there are places where I legit have zero feeling or numbness. I’ve just accepted perhaps nerve endings won’t ever be the same. I can’t then imagine how that would be if I then had to use my right arm/body to continue in my profession. Even with the “best care” money can buy. 

Luck seems like a good dude. I remember when he was injured a few years back starting a book club with all these old ladies and he seemed so happy. I wish that for him. Sorry for the long personal shit which is boring and I get that. I do kind of understand in a small way.

Oh yeah. I don't hold his retirement against him at all. He needs to do what he needs to do.

P.S. Sorry 'bout your bone.

8 minutes ago, wood said:

Oh yeah. I don't hold his retirement against him at all. He needs to do what he needs to do.

P.S. Sorry 'bout your bone.

I’d give you rep but I wasted on one of the shittiest college games I have ever seen outside of the Cheez it bowl.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Luck hasn’t even practiced this summer, and the season is 2 weeks away. So it’s not like the team has suddenly been thrown into scramble mode.  

He got hurt like back in May, and still wasn’t practicing in August. So the team had to have known for a while he wasn’t right and might miss a few games minimum.

Exactly. Luck's progress has been cryptic all offseason. I assume that he expected to be in a better place physically by now. It's safe to say that the odds of him being their starting quarterback in January (had he stayed) were somewhere between slim and none.

The timing doesn't bother me at all. He probably started training camp desperately wanting to play and hoping to turn the corner in time. It never happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, housious said:

Shit, I don’t blame him one bit. Why get smacked around by 300 pound dudes all day when you and generations of your family are set for life?

This.

and that little piece of paper from Tree...along with networking both from Luck's career and that of his father.

Dude will be OK.  and he did n't owe anyone else anything regarding his playing career.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely overrated. The media was so desperate for him to be the next great QB but he never was. The career they tried to sell actually belonged to Cam Newton, who gets trashed often. Shrugs.

He was always the QB who was about to break out and do something. Never actually doing it but was always about to.

So you're saying Luck is aggy?

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this