Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

they're not the only ones

I am shocked that after all this time in the industry he doesn't understand how this works. or just ask, so he doesn't appear to be a moron.

Then again that would require a level of self awareness that Ketch has never had.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Hmmm.... 247 has Lang as an OT, while on3 has him as an IOL.

Was heard muttering "I'm the baddest man in the world" and "No, I don't hate Balboa, but I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what I got!".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

What’s the theory behind skinny OL? They’re more nimble at the second level downfield?

And that’s dumb because that’s such a small proportion of OL play?

Thinner OL tend to be more athletic and the question becomes can they add the necessary size and strength, while maintaining their athleticism. It is not a bad idea, when you miss on the 5 star dancing bears at OT. I looked awhile ago and this profile fit more NFL LTs. It is bad idea on the interior. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Thinner OL tend to be more athletic and the question becomes can they add the necessary size and strength, while maintaining their athleticism. It is not a bad idea, when you miss on the 5 star dancing bears at OT. I looked awhile ago and this profile fit more NFL LTs. It is bad idea on the interior. 

This. Goes with dual sport athletes as well. If a guy is playing soccer (Christian Jones, 285lb as a recruit) or basketball (Trevor Goosby, 280lb), they're not going to be 330 pounds. 

It also can help with development timelines within a class i.e. guys coming in <300 know they'll need a couple years before playing significantly. That's  less important tho.

I get that it's currently in vogue to shit on everything Herman did but this isn't a totally incorrect way to recruit OL. Our best two OL in the last decade were 260lb (Cosmi) and 275lb (Williams) as recruits. 

Ideally you recruit a mix with the caveat that last class had a glaring need for early contributors.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also (tangent incoming) but if I were developing an OL I would totally have them do boxing. The sport is all footwork, balance, angles, and punching. Exactly the skills an OL needs. It burns a bunch of calories so you can't do it too much but as an offseason conditioning thing I think it would be great. 

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

The Ham Train, laden with 3000 tons of ham, leaves the station headed west at 10am, going 40 miles per hour.

Ketch is impatiently waiting at the station 200 miles away for his ham shipment. It takes 30 minutes to unload the ham, and Ketch can eat 5 pounds of ham per hour. At what time will Ketch have his first cardiac event, if it takes 15 pounds of ham to cause a coronary reaction?

Easy. 5 hours to travel 200 miles @ 40 mph. Train pulls in at 3. The unloading starts but we know he's not waiting so he starts pounding ham immediately. 4:30 is your answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some kind of grappling would be more useful in that it helps them understand leverage.  How to engage and move dl where they need them to go is a skill most recruits aren’t great at because they’ve always been bigger and stronger than the guy they’re blocking.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Also (tangent incoming) but if I were developing an OL I would totally have them do boxing. The sport is all footwork, balance, angles, and punching. Exactly the skills an OL needs. It burns a bunch of calories so you can't do it too much but as an offseason conditioning thing I think it would be great. 

I think that is a bad idea. They are already ugly and boxing is just going to make matters worse. Same goes for smarts. Ballet would be good for them.