Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Are you referring to the post above yours with the Recruitocosm tweet? And if so, are we thinking MM’s impending commitment isn’t big enough to have generated the tweet? 

Yes, I wondered if a big 12 PAC 12 merger allowing us to go to the sec in 23 would be big enough for it

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I urge everyone to watch Niblett then MH-P before responding.

Ryan Niblett

MH-P

They both line up at WR, RB, and QB. They’ll go for 6 from any of those positions. Niblett’s first highlight is run blocking so watch out for Jimbo. MH-P looks taller than I expected and was throwing too. 

3 hours ago, cafe society said:

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.

CSB alert: I watched it freshman year in the TV room at Taos Dorm, next to Raul’s on the Drag. It may have been the only year Taos was a dorm, spending most of its existence before and after as a co-op. And I will admit, I probably still don’t know exactly what the hell is a “co-op.” But I did go to a crazy ass party at one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m still “WTF-ing” over Nahlin’s take. Potentially 4 of the top 8WR’s in the state is underwhelming? And when did these concerns for Hale’s ability to get open start to manifest? He had no trouble at the Top 50 7v7. His film shows him having to slow down time after time to come back to catch the ball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

I’m still “WTF-ing” over Nahlin’s take. Potentially 4 of the top 8WR’s in the state is underwhelming? And when did these concerns for Hale’s ability to get open start to manifest? He had no trouble at the Top 50 7v7. His film shows him having to slow down time after time to come back to catch the ball.

My only guess is everything is pretty peachy right now with regards to recruiting so they need to drum up some drama somehow?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Definitely want to start with one of the positions that Sark evaluates well. 

So next year we will have Cook, Hale, Niblett, Wilson, Hall, Alexis, Cain, Neyor, Omeire, Thompson, Whttington, and Worthy. That should be at least a tiny, tiny bit better than 2021.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So next year we will have Cook, Hale, Niblett, Wilson, Hall, Alexis, Cain, Neyor, Omeire, Thompson, Whttington, and Worthy. That should be at least a tiny, tiny bit better than 2021.

guess you haven't heard...  you need to get with Nahlin about some of those receivers you mentioned 

Frustrated World Cup GIF

41 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Definitely want to start with one of the positions that Sark evaluates well. 

Also worth mentioning that Bama didnt even bother offering Pettaway or MHP, yet they offered and actually pursued Niblett for a good while. They were also in hot pursuit of Hale for a long time and still seem to be actively after him.

Bama could offer Pettaway now, and likely get him to flip before ESD. I don't even think they're keeping him warm. 

Edited by Atticus

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A few of those guys won't be on roster this time next year IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

He appears to be an (/all) EDGE (/caps). Can someone confirm for me if he's gonna put his hand in the dirt or stand up?

Looks too small for a full time DE.  This is likely a replacement for Ovie (OLB).

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, Don Hornleone said:

My own board from watching the top targets this year was:

Cook, Brown, Niblett, Pettaway, Hale, Greathouse, Wilson.

I think we pulled a pretty damn good class. Sure, I would have liked to have Pettaway, but his skillset is pretty comparable to both Cook and Niblett. I also don't think Greathouse is a receiver at the next level. Jalen Brown would have put this over the top, but I don't think that was ever realistic. Wilson may get lost in the shuffle when all is said and done, but he also may be one of those guys who just gets open with good hands that you can't seem to get him off the field. A Tony Jeffries, James Kirkendoll type of a guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.01f60adb649fcc2254a31151598ec3b3.png

Thoughts?

Arch might have the higher floor because of his training and pedigree, but Ewers ceiling is much higher. I think people are forgetting just how special Ewers’ arm is. I would rank Ewers higher if they were in the same class. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thoughts?

I think Quinn is better, both floor and ceiling. He has a better delivery, throws a more catchable ball (good at varying speeds/angles as necessary), and takes more appropriate risks. 

I think Arch has better pocket presence and athleticism.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I think Quinn is better, both floor and ceiling

This is a debatable point, but I guess that is the actual point. It's debatable. 

Ewers' floor is influenced by his decision making. Where Ewers hs tape would show a pressured roll out resulting in a 50/50 jump ball bomb, Manning's would more likely show a check down or throw away. That's most likely what Bobby is referring to there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ewers will teach arch how to loosen up and have a good time, take a chance now and then. And in turn, arch will teach ewers how to know when it’s time to buckle down and get serious, play it safe.  

they will each use their newly developed skills to save the other at one point before teaming up to defeat the big baddie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a debatable point, but I guess that is the actual point. It's debatable. 

Ewers' floor is influenced by his decision making. Where Ewers hs tape would show a pressured roll out resulting in a 50/50 jump ball bomb, Manning's would more likely show a check down or throw away. That's most likely what Bobby is referring to there. 

Manning has the higher floor.  He's more polished mechanically and is years ahead of high schoolers on game knowledge.  As an example, he has been calling protections at the line since he was 14.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

My thoughts: It’s fucking awesome to be in the position to have this debate about two QBs who will likely be on the Texas sidelines next season.

By saying “on the sidelines” I’m inferring that you believe Charles Wright beats out both of them and is on the field with the offense. 

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thoughts?

I don't disagree that Arch's floor is higher, but I'd also bet that Arch is more likely (read: still not likely) to stay at his floor than Ewers.

Both of their ceilings are so high that it's not even worth debating which is higher.  Pretty fortunate to be able to debate something like this.

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thoughts?

I've only see Arch on TV one time and never in person.  I've seen Quin three times in person and at least twice on TV,  so I won't call it a fair comparison.  

However,  Quin is the best HS QB I've ever seen.  He played great against the best competition in Texas.  I think he's better than Kyler Murray.  

To be clear,  I'm not saying Arch is overrated,  and he could very easily become the best QB we've ever had.  

Great to be talking about how good our QB's are rather than how bad they are. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't disagree that Arch's floor is higher, but I'd also bet that Arch is more likely (read: still not likely) to stay at his floor than Ewers.

Both of their ceilings are so high that it's not even worth debating which is higher.  Pretty fortunate to be able to debate something like this.

Despite the fact that the top of that the QB Mt Rushmore is dominated by guys with average level arms, upside is usually about the physical talent. I think Arch just knows how to play QB and will have a high floor with that knowledge. Ewers is physically more impressive than Manning. He is not as advanced in the intricacies of QB play, so I think most would say he has the high ceiling and lower floor.