Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Shonen said:

I think he has the inside track for the move TE position post Billingsley and will be a special teams player and depth guy this year.Ā 

Doubt it. Much more likely they start Helm at in-line and shift Sanders to Move TE after Billingsley leaves. Helm has looked really good so far.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, Duce Robinson may be impressive, but he flat out isn't Kyle Pitts. he is a really really rare dude as a TE with an incredible RAS.

Also Finley and Pitts is a really bad comparison per RAS:

image.png.fc4ad57d853a8fc2b17e1275382deed3.png

Bennett vs Pitts:

image.png.b669e85ae23085e604e25a21a9869c61.png

All of this to say, let's not compare a dude who is going into his senior year of high school to a guy who is one of the most athletic TEs ever, who was a unamious All American, won the John Mackey award, was drafted #4 (tied for highest drafted TE in the history of the NFL), was the second rookie TE ever to break 1000 yards, broke the Tony Gonzalez franchise record for single season yardage by a TE, and was the 1st rookie TE to make the pro bowl in the last 20 years.

there are setting expectations too high, then there is comparing a dude in high school to Kyle Pitts. let's not do that.

It arguable that he is even a TE. After Ridley told the Falcons to go F themselves, there wasnt much left in Atlanta. Pitts was split out 78.2% of his snaps. He basically was used as their #1 WR (there wasnt a lot of options). He caught 63.6% of the passes that were thrown to him, which is outside that top 100 players in the NFL.Ā 

Ā 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate?rate=per-pass-target

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It arguable that he is even a TE. After Ridley told the Falcons to go F themselves, there wasnt much left in Atlanta. Pitts was split out 78.2% of his snaps. He caught 63.6% of the passes that were thrown to him, which is outside that top 100 players in the NFL.Ā 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate?rate=per-pass-target

pitts ranked outside the top 10 in catchable targets amongst TE last year. target accuracy has him as the #14 TE at 7.4 (above 8= highly accurate targets, below 7 = inaccurate targets.) his true catch rate which uses catchable targets was still super low (reception percentage based solely on catchable targets)

side note, player profiler is a great website for this kind of stuff: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kyle-pitts/ - just discovered it thanks to underdog fantasy

either way, it doesn't matter. he was and is a really damn good TE and comparing a guy in high school to Kyle Pitts is a bad comparison.

Ā 

Ā 

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Doubt it. Much more likely they start Helm at in-line and shift Sanders to Move TE after Billingsley leaves. Helm has looked really good so far.Ā 

I love that people are arguing over who will play tight end. That hasn't happened in a long time. We have some talent there finally. Just to stir the pot, if Sanders and and Billingsley play the same role, some think Sanders gets more PT. I think they will have different roles honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

pitts ranked outside the top 10 in catchable targets amongst TE last year. target accuracy has him as the #14 TE at 7.4 (above 8= highly accurate targets, below 7 = inaccurate targets.) his true catch rate which uses catchable targets was still super low (reception percentage based solely on catchable targets)

side note, player profiler is a great website for this kind of stuff: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kyle-pitts/ - just discovered it thanks to underdog fantasy

either way, it doesn't matter. he was and is a really damn good TE and comparing a guy in high school to Kyle Pitts is a bad comparison.

Ā 

Ā 

With out a doubt. I total agree and a was just saying he is kind of a unicorn, even in the way he is used.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas Longhorns Tuesday morning recruiting nuggets

Gerry Hamiltonā€¢13 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(InsideTexas)

The Texas Longhorns will host a BBQ pool party on Thursday with a number of top targets in the 2023 cycle on hand, along with many commitments.

Steve SarkisianĀ and staff are scheduled to host more than 10 On3 Consensus 4-star and 5-star prospects this weekend. And the list expected to continue to grow headed into Thursday.

Inside Texas begins Tuesday with three recruiting nuggets.

Colton Vasek

On3 Consensus 4-star EDGEĀ Colton VasekĀ is expected to attend the BBQ and pool party Thursday, as of Tuesday morning. On3 continues to hear Oregon, Texas and Oklahoma are the three schools left in the running with a decision expected prior to the season. Oregonā€™sĀ Tosh LupoiĀ is one of the nations elite recruiters, and that is playing out in Vasekā€™s recruitment as well. Inside Texas believes this recruitment is very close, and could go either way for the Longhorns.

Braylan Shelby

TheĀ No. 101 ranked prospectĀ in the On300 is considering making the trip to Austin Thursday. On3 caught up with Shelby Monday afternoon, and he relayed that he is talking to his parents about the possibility of making the trip. Those conversations were happening last night, and today. USC and Texas continue to be in a fight for the 4-star EDGE prospect that has a very high ceiling. Both teams have a certain level of confidence with USC receiving more chatter in the last week or so. Shelby remains expected to announce a decision prior to the Mustangs season opener.

Jalen Hale

The On3 ConsensusĀ 4-star wide receiverĀ will not be in Austin this weekend. The family had been considering visits to Texas and Alabama, and has decided on Alabama this weekend per a family member Tuesday morning. Hale remains scheduled to make an official visit to Alabama September 3rd weekend as well. The family member said Texas official visit September 10 is in the works as well. The family is in constant communication with Texas receivers coachĀ Brennan Marion. Hale will announce his decision between the two schools September 22. The Longhorns have a big lead in theĀ On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine.

Confirmed/possible 2023 visitor list

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakesĀ 

Tre Wisner, RB, Desoto (Texas)Ā -#AllGasNoBrakes

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas)Ā ā€“ #AllGasNoBrakes

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Payton Kirkland, OT, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Jaydon Chatman, OT, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Andre Cojoe, IOL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Teague (Texas) High

Markis Deal,Ā DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman ForestĀ 

Jamarious Brown,Ā DL, Moss Point (Miss.)

TaDerius Collins, DL, Shreveport (La.) Northwood

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff ā€“Ā #AllGasNoBrakes

Jordan Matthews,Ā CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Almost like all the hand wringing over recruiting ratings is given more importance than itā€™s worth

Well, you want to consistently be in the top 10 - bluechip ratio correlates to success. But at the individual level it can get flawed. It's pretty similar to most other ranking datasets.

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Outside of one, maybe 2 guys a year, TEs are made not born.Ā 

I think this is partly an eval problem, partly the position.

The college services will highly rate statistically productive flex WR type guys.Ā  This is an easier eval than more old-school TEs.

However, the NFL will (with obvious exceptions) draft and play 6th OL types with good hands.Ā  This type TE is a difficult eval for the same reason OL is.Ā  A lot of the success at the position is processing info and grittiness.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Really hope we don't lose Shelby to USC.

One of my favorite defensive prospects for 2023. I have a hunch he's more enamored with being in SoCal than in playing for Riley, but we'll see. Hopefully we get him. If not, hopefully he gets homesick or whatever and portals here. Pure wishcasting on my part, but as a fan I always reserve the right to dream up a never-ending string of positive scenarios.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Are we doing a pool party/bbq the same weekend as aggy?

Yes. Same as last year.

We just don't bestow ours with the same level of reverence and significance as the "World Famous Texum Aggy Pool Party Showcase and Spectacular".Ā  It's like Coachella, the World's Fair, and the Oscars - all mixed together with a Travis Scott AstroWorld concert.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Are we doing a pool party/bbq the same weekend as aggy?

Ā 

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Yes. Same as last year.

WRONG!!

Texas is having a gathering this Thursday. (mid-week, not weekend)

A&M is having something on Saturday (this weekend).

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

One of my favorite defensive prospects for 2023. I have a hunch he's more enamored with being in SoCal than in playing for Riley, but we'll see. Hopefully we get him. If not, hopefully he gets homesick or whatever and portals here. Pure wishcasting on my part, but as a fan I always reserve the right to dream up a never-ending string of positive scenarios.Ā 

One thing for folks to consider and others to mock is that Shelby isn't exactly believed to be filled with true grit. Every SEC school and Clemson came calling and he had no interest. Instead, he wants to be a star in Austin or Los Angeles. I see no shame in wanting that and it's certainly worked to UT and USC's advantage over the years when they're rolling. It also causes the schools to land guys like Bru McCoy and Tyler Johnson - pussies more interested in anything else ahead of actually playing football.Ā 

I expect him to go to USC at this point, but that is my own reading of the tea leaves and not anything beyond that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing for folks to consider and others to mock is that Shelby isn't exactly believed to be filled with true grit. Every SEC school and Clemson came calling and he had no interest. Instead, he wants to be a star in Austin or Los Angeles. I see no shame in wanting that and it's certainly worked to UT and USC's advantage over the years when they're rolling. It also causes the schools to land guys like Bru McCoy and Tyler Johnson - pussies more interested in anything else ahead of actually playing football.Ā 

I expect him to go to USC at this point, but that is my own reading of the tea leaves and not anything beyond that.

I lived in LA for most of a decade. I liked it. As a former Texas high school player (briefly, fucking knees), I couldn't help but think of how much more pleasant practice would be with August highs in the 80s with cool mornings and evenings. USC is in a rough part of town, but the scholarship football player lives in a glorious bubble.Ā 

I definitely see the appeal of USC or, even better, UCLA if they could be consistently good.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, Duce Robinson may be impressive, but he flat out isn't Kyle Pitts. he is a really really rare dude as a TE with an incredible RAS.

Also Finley and Pitts is a really bad comparison per RAS:

image.png.fc4ad57d853a8fc2b17e1275382deed3.png

Bennett vs Pitts:

image.png.b669e85ae23085e604e25a21a9869c61.png

All of this to say, let's not compare a dude who is going into his senior year of high school to a guy who is one of the most athletic TEs ever, who was a unamious All American, won the John Mackey award, was drafted #4 (tied for highest drafted TE in the history of the NFL), was the second rookie TE ever to break 1000 yards, broke the Tony Gonzalez franchise record for single season yardage by a TE, and was the 1st rookie TE to make the pro bowl in the last 20 years.

there are setting expectations too high, then there is comparing a dude in high school to Kyle Pitts. let's not do that.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but i don't think Finley was on the '08 team. Him and Charles left early. Oh what could've been

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I lived in LA for most of a decade. I liked it. As a former Texas high school player (briefly, fucking knees), I couldn't help but think of how much more pleasant practice would be with August highs in the 80s with cool mornings and evenings. USC is in a rough part of town, but the scholarship football player lives in a glorious bubble.Ā 

I definitely see the appeal of USC or, even better, UCLA if they could be consistently good.Ā 

Ditto except for high school ball.Ā 

Living in one of those party houses in Hermosa Beach (or having that as a weekend & off-season spot) and being invited to ā€œHollywood partiesā€ where trophy wives and aspiring models/actresses competed with lecherous celebrities for a ride on a D1 football player would be a nice way to spend 3-5 years after high school.Ā 

Back when the Playboy Mansion was a thingā€¦ look out grotto!

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Damn. Thatā€™s really fucking impressive. Ā At first you think itā€™s going to be a total fuck up, but then you see him salvage it by managing to embed the tweet in the very middle of the fucked up link he originally tried to post. Bravo, sir. Bravo.Ā 

First Half GIF

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Damn. Thatā€™s really fucking impressive. Ā At first you think itā€™s going to be a total fuck up, but then you see him salvage it by managing to embed the tweet in the very middle of the fucked up link he originally tried to post. Bravo, sir. Bravo.Ā 

Yeah, well you see this new Lana Rhoades sleeve just took over my strong hand while I was embedding, but I finished.

Edited by NWAustinDude

1 hour ago, OnAComputer said:

Cool vid and stuff, but I like those shoes. Anybody know what they are?

I THINK youā€™re serious; but if not- Disregard. Ā Iā€™m in CO at about 9K feet. Low O2 for this flat lander; but it is glorious.
Anyway, I digress- Thatā€™s the Nike Zoom Pegasus 38. Last yearā€™s ā€œWeek Zeroā€ shoe.1D9A2DC8-C20B-4386-B259-74D808A21995.jpeg.6e8b8c2b309bf5e57ead3e9fe5f12710.jpeg

Super comfortable for game day. šŸ¤˜šŸ»
Ā 

This yearā€™s ā€œWeek Zeroā€ (Nikeā€™s marketing ploy to sell more shoes) will be the Zoom Pegasus 39 in ā€œdesert orangeā€ (their Pantone for ā€œburnt orangeā€). Ā 

• Hook 'Em 4