Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

One thing for folks to consider and others to mock is that Shelby isn't exactly believed to be filled with true grit. Every SEC school and Clemson came calling and he had no interest. Instead, he wants to be a star in Austin or Los Angeles. I see no shame in wanting that and it's certainly worked to UT and USC's advantage over the years when they're rolling. It also causes the schools to land guys like Bru McCoy and Tyler Johnson - pussies more interested in anything else ahead of actually playing football. 

I expect him to go to USC at this point, but that is my own reading of the tea leaves and not anything beyond that.

Do you find this staff to be good at determining that within the recruiting process to avoid taking a glam guy vs a football player?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BERT said:

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but i don't think Finley was on the '08 team. Him and Charles left early. Oh what could've been

The 08 refers to the year drafted. Finley and Charles were both drafted in the Spring of 08.

Had they stuck around for the 08 season, oh what could've been.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I want our staff to be ruthless enough to take this kind of guy if he has top flight athletic potential, give him a chance to prove he can actually take it seriously, and if he doesn't then don't renew his scholarship. I would have absolutely never advocated that before the courts forced NIL on the NCAA but now that players are being paid (which they deserve as adults providing the main service in a ridiculously high revenue arena) they have to accept the downside to being paid to work.

Before that if the guy was giving a baseline effort then you shouldn't have booted him. Now that they're being paid, baseline is no longer acceptable even to me.

Obligatory: And that's fair. 

I'd be happy to see if Shelby would pan out here. He's a physical beast at a position of ongoing need. If the light for whatever reason didn't turn on and stay on, cut him his last check and renew that "help wanted" ad. 

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

I THINK you’re serious; but if not- Disregard.  I’m in CO at about 9K feet. Low O2 for this flat lander; but it is glorious.
Anyway, I digress- That’s the Nike Zoom Pegasus 38. Last year’s “Week Zero” shoe.1D9A2DC8-C20B-4386-B259-74D808A21995.jpeg.6e8b8c2b309bf5e57ead3e9fe5f12710.jpeg

Super comfortable for game day. 🤘🏻

This year’s “Week Zero” (Nike’s marketing ploy to sell more shoes) will be the Zoom Pegasus 39 in “desert orange” (their Pantone for “burnt orange”).  

Would love it if NIKE made anything 2E, high arch, skinny heel, with support against pronation, but…

image.gif.afae75634c1800347675b56dc9b03528.gif

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you find this staff to be good at determining that within the recruiting process to avoid taking a glam guy vs a football player?

I think they have a clear picture of character traits and physical traits that they want in players. I do not have any idea if they’re accurate in terms of their assessments and whether the things they’re looking for are the right things. 

For instance, Flood’s clearly got a physical makeup he’s looking for with the OL. He got here and was shocked at the lack of size he was dealing with across the line and said they had to fix that asap. Is his way better than Herb Hand’s or The Toilet Destroyer’s? I want to believe, but we don’t have any data yet. 

Similarly, they took some OKGs in the last class on defense. Swanson is one to watch. Does he turn out to be a surprise contributor? They put a lot of effort into getting and keeping him and everyone else recruiting at a really high level didn’t even pursue him. Some people think the same is true of Guilbeau, so let’s about that one as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think they have a clear picture of character traits and physical traits that they want in players. I do not have any idea if they’re accurate in terms of their assessments and whether the things they’re looking for are the right things. 

For instance, Flood’s clearly got a physical makeup he’s looking for with the OL. He got here and was shocked at the lack of size he was dealing with across the line and said they had to fix that asap. Is his way better than Herb Hand’s or The Toilet Destroyer’s? I want to believe, but we don’t have any data yet. 

Similarly, they took some OKGs in the last class on defense. Swanson is one to watch. Does he turn out to be a surprise contributor? They put a lot of effort into getting and keeping him and everyone else recruiting at a really high level didn’t even pursue him. Some people think the same is true of Guilbeau, so let’s about that one as well. 

I was fairly high on Swanson last year, I think he is really disruptive with a high motor and has a sneaky good pass rush. Is he an EDGE or a 3 Techinque? Too early to tell, but it wouldn't shock me to see him turn heads once the pads come on. We seem to know the blueprint on offense, on defense it is hard to get a read. Some of that was the discombobulated mess last season, but they have a variety of "types" along the D Line. Linebacker seems to be a bit more consistent. My head scratcher is the DB evals. They seem to want position versatility, and while that isn't a bad thing, Muhammad and perhaps BJ Allen are the only guys we have recruited with a definitive position back there. The rest get lumped into: "Well he could be a corner, nickel, or safety."

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I was fairly high on Swanson last year, I think he is really disruptive with a high motor and has a sneaky good pass rush. Is he an EDGE or a 3 Techinque? Too early to tell, but it wouldn't shock me to see him turn heads once the pads come on. We seem to know the blueprint on offense, on defense it is hard to get a read. Some of that was the discombobulated mess last season, but they have a variety of "types" along the D Line. Linebacker seems to be a bit more consistent. My head scratcher is the DB evals. They seem to want position versatility, and while that isn't a bad thing, Muhammad and perhaps BJ Allen are the only guys we have recruited with a definitive position back there. The rest get lumped into: "Well he could be a corner, nickel, or safety."

Sark said that the blueprint on D is big and sturdy on the DL, Lean guys that can drop in coverage in the edge, High IQ LB’s and long and fast in the secondary. They’ve hit on all of those traits outside of LTG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I want our staff to be ruthless enough to take this kind of guy if he has top flight athletic potential, give him a chance to prove he can actually take it seriously, and if he doesn't then don't renew his scholarship. I would have absolutely never advocated that before the courts forced NIL on the NCAA but now that players are being paid (which they deserve as adults providing the main service in a ridiculously high revenue arena) they have to accept the downside to being paid to work.

Before that if the guy was giving a baseline effort then you shouldn't have booted him. Now that they're being paid, baseline is no longer acceptable even to me. (I never really "accepted" it but when the coaches were the only ones actually getting paid I put that 100% on their identification of the trait like you're asking about here)

This was an unethical play in the pre-portal era.  That's one good thing the portal does.  Give guys a second opportunity without losing eligibility.

A coworker once had a son that was a D1 lineman.  He had a coaching change two years in, was denied a transfer by the school, and they didn't renew his scholarship.  It was an absolutely shitty thing to do.

• Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are you Al Bundy, perchance?

No, but I did work at Foot Locker in high school. 😎

AND… as my dad was in the early stages of dementia, he happened to find my old referee-top uniform…

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea8204ca064296b867f4eadc4626181.jpeg

…and put it on to go lunch with my brother. (It was probably a little form fitting, but it was 100% synthetic, so it stretched. 😁)

Unfortunately, my brother insisted that he change into something else. Photos of him at lunch in the Foot Locker top would have kept me laughing until MY grace. 😂

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sounds like you have fucked up feet

Not at all. Kind of perfect feet for sports. It’s just that when not running, the high arch lends itself to pronation when wearing a shoe on cement.

Foot print at the  beach looks like this. 
image.png.99f628cb735568799c55b9b04e61c6a0.png

orimage.png.2f3e268761904a51def07a1d8b2feac3.png

I’m not a flat-footed oaf whose foot print looks like a pizza slice 🍕with the point bitten off like this guy.

image.png.9e225627846c31410b1eb8f940a514b6.png

#DogDaysOfSummerMessageBoards

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

AND… as my dad was in the early stages of dementia, he happened to find my old referee-top uniform…

…and put it on to go lunch with my brother. (It was probably a little form fitting, but it was 100% synthetic, so it stretched. 😁)

Unfortunately, my brother insisted that he change into something else. Photos of him at lunch in the Foot Locker top would have kept me laughing until MY grace. 😂

Family photo? Based on the username I assume you are far right and Satya is far left. 

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Not at all. Kind of perfect feet for sports. It’s just that when not running, the high arch lends itself to pronation when wearing a shoe on cement.

Foot print at the  beach looks like this. 
image.png.99f628cb735568799c55b9b04e61c6a0.png

orimage.png.2f3e268761904a51def07a1d8b2feac3.png

I’m not a flat-footed oaf whose foot print looks like a pizza slice 🍕with the point bitten off like this guy.

image.png.9e225627846c31410b1eb8f940a514b6.png

#DogDaysOfSummerMessageBoards

image.png.abe234395d0c8fb9703d101051ec1d8d.png

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That is a pretty fucking high bar. If Swanson is an early starter racking up 10 TFLs as a redshirt freshman, holy shit. Fillinger could be a double digit sack guy this year.

I just assumed he meant Swanson could be as good as Van Fillinger on prom night. 

1650284423_download(4).jpeg.d329f15e4a4bac037ea0cef62d0e8ea7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm thinking Napoleon is the second one on the right. Short and a little French.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

I THINK you’re serious; but if not- Disregard.  I’m in CO at about 9K feet. Low O2 for this flat lander; but it is glorious.
Anyway, I digress- That’s the Nike Zoom Pegasus 38. Last year’s “Week Zero” shoe.1D9A2DC8-C20B-4386-B259-74D808A21995.jpeg.6e8b8c2b309bf5e57ead3e9fe5f12710.jpeg

Super comfortable for game day. 🤘🏻

This year’s “Week Zero” (Nike’s marketing ploy to sell more shoes) will be the Zoom Pegasus 39 in “desert orange” (their Pantone for “burnt orange”).  

I have those shoes!

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Family photo? Based on the username I assume you are far right and Satya is far left. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm thinking Napoleon is the second one on the right. Short and a little French.

PHOTO SOURCE:
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1789062-day-1-without-sports

We didn’t take photos of our fellow mall employees when I was in high school, though there was one ~16 year-old girl who got plenty of attention from the two store managers. (“#metoo” attention every shift she worked.)

I didn’t have a camera in high school or I would totally post a photo. I seem to recall that she was smiley, blonde, and perky. I think that she occasionally wore it in a ponytail. But not nearly as hot as this girl. 
image.jpeg.620eaceaaacff487326005720d0a5e6a.jpeg

… but then again, she didn’t dress like that for work. She dressed like this. 
image.png.715d7a7a25ec3a4b9f224eee202d0c0d.png

Braylan Shelby nearing decision between USC and Texas

Gerry Hamilton•about 1 hour

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Braylan Shelby (Scott Schraeder/WeAreSC)

Friendswood, Texas – On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE prospect Braylan Shelby’s recruitment is nearing an end.

The 6-foot-5, near 240-pounder that doesn’t turn 17 until August 10 announced he was down to USC and Texas July 13.

The final two were fully expected with a June offer from Texas A&M being the only possible scenario that could change the course of the recruitment prior to a decision. That did not happen. And now the No. 101 ranked prospect in the On300 is nearing a decision between the Trojans and Longhorns.

“I think I’m almost there,” Shelby told On3 Tuesday. “I’m literally right around the corner of making my decision. It’s just about where is best for me. Where I will thrive the best. Making sure I’m getting good grades, and training for football is most important.”

Relationships strong with USC

Shelby has built some very strong relationships with the staff at USC. Namely, Roy Manning and Shaun Nua. The staff has done a tremendous job making Shelby feel comfortable about his fit in the scheme.

“I love the scheme they would have me in as a stand up rush linebacker. I feel like the coaching staff is really good. Coach (Roy) Manning, I like him a lot. That’s my guy. It really felt great when I went up there. It felt like home, but Texas also felt like home.”

Shelby’s older brother Ty Shelby signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Chargers. The possibility of having a sibling nearby helps USC’s cause with Shelby’s mother.

“I think it helps my mom a little knowing one of my siblings is out there. USC is so far, so if that were to happen it would give me someone to go to in my family in L.A.”

The USC commitments are going all out to help the Trojans cause.

“Malachi (Nelson), Zach (Branch), Christian (Pearce) and Braxton (Myers). Pretty much all of them.”

Texas checks a lot of boxes with football and academics

The Longhorns currently lead the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for Shelby, but the Trojans have more positive chatter on their side with a decision drawing near.

“It’s closer for my mom, but she doesn’t really care about distance that much. They are really neck and neck, so it’s hard to say something that is different about the two. I like the Texas coaches too.”

The Texas No. 5 ranked recruiting class is putting extra time on Shelby.

“Not only is it Arch (Manning) hitting me up, but Johntay (Cook), S’Maje (Burrell) and Derrick (Brown). There’s a lot of them.”

Decision comes down to coaches and a degree

Shelby knows his decision will be based on relationships with coaches, and the best place to achieve the desired business degree.

“I feel like coaches, and the degree. Because football may not work, so my ability to use that degree and the networking options are important. I want to major in something in business, and finance. We are figuring out that soon.”

Shelby ranks as the No. 138 player in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that accounts for all four major recruiting sites. He also tabs in as the No. 19 Edge and the No. 23 prospect in the state of Texas. Shelby totaled 77 tackles and eight sacks in 2021.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

GHamilton_On3

Friendswood, Texas – On3 Consensus 4-star EDGE prospect Braylan Shelby’s recruitment is nearing an end.

The 6-foot-5, near 240-pounder that doesn’t turn 17 until August 10 announced he was down to USC and Texas July 13.

The final two were fully expected with a June offer from Texas A&M being the only possible scenario that could change the course of the recruitment prior to a decision. That did not happen. And now the No. 101 ranked prospect in the On300 is nearing a decision between the Trojans and Longhorns.

“I think I’m almost there,” Shelby told On3 Tuesday. “I’m literally right around the corner of making my decision. It’s just about where is best for me. Where I will thrive the best. Making sure I’m getting good grades, and training for football is most important.”

Shelby has built some very strong relationships with the staff at USC. Namely, Roy Manning and Shaun Nua. The staff has done a tremendous job making Shelby feel comfortable about his fit in the scheme.

“I love the scheme they would have me in as a stand up rush linebacker. I feel like the coaching staff is really good. Coach (Roy) Manning, I like him a lot. That’s my guy. It really felt great when I went up there. It felt like home, but Texas also felt like home.”

Shelby’s older brother Ty Shelby signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Chargers. The possibility of having a sibling nearby helps USC’s cause with Shelby’s mother.

“I think it helps my mom a little knowing one of my siblings is out there. USC is so far, so if that were to happen it would give me someone to go to in my family in L.A.”

“Malachi (Nelson), Zach (Branch), Christian (Pearce) and Braxton (Myers). Pretty much all of them.”

The Longhorns currently lead the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for Shelby, but the Trojans have more positive chatter on their side with a decision drawing near.

“It’s closer for my mom, but she doesn’t really care about distance that much. They are really neck and neck, so it’s hard to say something that is different about the two. I like the Texas coaches too.”

“Not only is it Arch (Manning) hitting me up, but Johntay (Cook), S’Maje (Burrell) and Derrick (Brown). There’s a lot of them.”

Shelby knows his decision will be based on relationships with coaches, and the best place to achieve the desired business degree.

“I feel like coaches, and the degree. Because football may not work, so my ability to use that degree and the networking options are important. I want to major in something in business, and finance. We are figuring out that soon.”

Shelby ranks as the No. 138 player in the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that accounts for all four major recruiting sites. He also tabs in as the No. 19 Edge and the No. 23 prospect in the state of Texas. Shelby totaled 77 tackles and eight sacks in 2021.

Feels like USC.

Just need to find a way to split Vasek and Shelby.

6 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, Duce Robinson may be impressive, but he flat out isn't Kyle Pitts. he is a really really rare dude as a TE with an incredible RAS.

Also Finley and Pitts is a really bad comparison per RAS:

image.png.fc4ad57d853a8fc2b17e1275382deed3.png

Bennett vs Pitts:

image.png.b669e85ae23085e604e25a21a9869c61.png

All of this to say, let's not compare a dude who is going into his senior year of high school to a guy who is one of the most athletic TEs ever, who was a unamious All American, won the John Mackey award, was drafted #4 (tied for highest drafted TE in the history of the NFL), was the second rookie TE ever to break 1000 yards, broke the Tony Gonzalez franchise record for single season yardage by a TE, and was the 1st rookie TE to make the pro bowl in the last 20 years.

there are setting expectations too high, then there is comparing a dude in high school to Kyle Pitts. let's not do that.

I appreciate the data, even though we are all aware of it. But talk about reading what you want to read so you can create your own narrative. We've been discussing good TE prospects for the last page.

Not one person compared Finley to Pitts. We were discussing good college tight end prospects coming out of high school who can play the receiver position. A 4.67 at his size, and with his overall athleticism and ball skills, is exactly what we are discussing here. Finley, if I don't recall, was also a good basketball player in high school and wanted to play receiver in college. It shows on the field. Not only is a 4.67 fast for a college TE, but he shows athleticism that can't be measured. He was well on his way to a great NFL career before a nasty injury.  Finley was a freakish receiving TE. He fits the description.

Again, why are you making direct measurement comparisons between these players? And stating they shouldn't be in this discussion? You don't seem to understand the discussion. We are simply discussing great tight end targets. Bennett belongs in this discussion. The poster who brought him up is exactly right. Bennett was a freak. Should we only discuss Pitts and no one else? Should we just leave out Pitts from the discussion of great college TEs because he's too good to be great? What's the logic here?

Twenty years running and some dudes still don't understand what a comparison is in the recruiting world. The two major recruiting websites make them for every blue-chip prospect. It's a comparison in style of play. It has nothing to do with predicting a high school prospect is going to become that college/pro player. Kyle Pitts played college football. Duce Robinson will play college football in the future. Jonathan Gray's comparison was Emmitt Smith, but Gray was average at best. Anyone who watched him play should have been able to tell you he wasn't all that good. He had no burst through the hole and no balance. But his patience and running style, outside of the balance issue, was comparable to Emmitt coming out of high school. It doesn't mean he's going to be Emmitt. With that said, Duce's film is really damn good and he was running 4.7s as a sophomore. You have no idea what his testing numbers are going to be when he gets through college. A 4.7 kid as a sophomore can easily be a 4.5 kid by his senior year.

I already stated Pitts wasn't a highly ranked prospect (#167). He probably should have been highly rated. I don't know his story, but the services are really bad at their job. And all the northern states are overlooked to a certain degree.

Some of the NFL draft numbers: We have much better training these days than in the old days. It allows NFL prospects to prepare like never before. There will be another Kyle Pitts and it won't take ten years either. Just like quarterback records are broken all the time in this era.

BTW, I believe the comparison was a poor man's Kyle Pitts

Poor man'sused to refer to someone (such as a performer) who is like another person in some ways but not as talented or successful

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Feels like USC.

Just need to find a way to split Vasek and Shelby.

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am going to allow myself to hope for Damon Wilson. I already feel stupid for it, but fuck them brakes. 

Where is Tausili Akana in all of this discussion? It's strangely quiet considering his sister is enrolled and going to play volleyball for us.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Where is Tausili Akana in all of this discussion? It's strangely quiet considering his sister is enrolled and going to play volleyball for us.

Utah mods think he's coming here. OU mods think he's going to OU. He doesn't seem to be much of a talker.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I would take Akana in a heartbeat if he wanted to come. But Damon Wilson is just another level of dude.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I appreciate the data, even though we are all aware of it. But talk about reading what you want to read so you can create your own narrative. We've been discussing good TE prospects for the last page.

Not one person compared Finley to Pitts. We were discussing good college tight end prospects coming out of high school who can play the receiver position. A 4.67 at his size, and with his overall athleticism and ball skills, is exactly what we are discussing here. Finley, if I don't recall, was also a good basketball player in high school and wanted to play receiver in college. It shows on the field. Not only is a 4.67 fast for a college TE, but he shows athleticism that can't be measured. He was well on his way to a great NFL career before a nasty injury.  Finley was a freakish receiving TE. He fits the description.

Again, why are you making direct measurement comparisons between these players? And stating they shouldn't be in this discussion? You don't seem to understand the discussion. We are simply discussing great tight end targets. Bennett belongs in this discussion. The poster who brought him up is exactly right. Bennett was a freak. Should we only discuss Pitts and no one else? Should we just leave out Pitts from the discussion of great college TEs because he's too good to be great? What's the logic here?

Twenty years running and some dudes still don't understand what a comparison is in the recruiting world. The two major recruiting websites make them for every blue-chip prospect. It's a comparison in style of play. It has nothing to do with predicting a high school prospect is going to become that college/pro player. Kyle Pitts played college football. Duce Robinson will play college football in the future. Jonathan Gray's comparison was Emmitt Smith, but Gray was average at best. Anyone who watched him play should have been able to tell you he wasn't all that good. He had no burst through the hole and no balance. But his patience and running style, outside of the balance issue, was comparable to Emmitt coming out of high school. It doesn't mean he's going to be Emmitt. With that said, Duce's film is really damn good and he was running 4.7s as a sophomore. You have no idea what his testing numbers are going to be when he gets through college. A 4.7 kid as a sophomore can easily be a 4.5 kid by his senior year.

I already stated Pitts wasn't a highly ranked prospect (#167). He probably should have been highly rated. I don't know his story, but the services are really bad at their job. And all the northern states are overlooked to a certain degree.

Some of the NFL draft numbers: We have much better training these days than in the old days. It allows NFL prospects to prepare like never before. There will be another Kyle Pitts and it won't take ten years either. Just like quarterback records are broken all the time in this era.

BTW, I believe the comparison was a poor man's Kyle Pitts

Poor man'sused to refer to someone (such as a performer) who is like another person in some ways but not as talented or successful

Tl;dr

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

GHamilton_On3

So his brother signed an undrafted free agent contract with San Diego and that makes mom feel comfortable sending him to LA? How long is this guaranteed? Don't many undrafted free agents get cut? Even if he's on the practice squad, it may not last that long. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

So his brother signed an undrafted free agent contract with San Diego and that makes mom feel comfortable sending him to LA? How long is this guaranteed? Don't many undrafted free agents get cut? Even if he's on the practice squad, it may not last that long. 

Chargers are in LA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Chargers are in LA

tom-hiddleston-loki-this-guy.gif

But otherwise fair points about the longevity of ufa contacts in the nfl

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Thanks. It's still hard to believe that move. How long is an undrafted free agent guaranteed to be on the practice squad? 

If he makes the price squad it could be a week or a year. Practice squad players are avail to other teams looking to fill a need or patch an injury hole 

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Hook 'Em 1