Texas opens as a 30.5 point favorite v Rice

TexasMan

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Rice is not very good right now. It'll probably look similar to the LA Tech game - offense does more or less what it wants, defense gives up a lot of yards through the air but ultimately keeps the point total low. 30.5 is a really big spread though.

Rice doesn't have the weapons that LA Tech has at WR and their starting QB is probably out. They shouldn't move the ball much unless we sit some players early. 

Also, their top RB has been out in the first two games. I'm not sure if he's been ruled out for Texas but they were talking like it was going to be a couple more weeks during the Wake Forest game. 

Rice is bad. I mean really bad. I think LA Tech would beat them by 2 or 3 scores. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rice doesn't have the weapons that LA Tech has at WR and their starting QB is probably out. They shouldn't move the ball much unless we sit some players early. 

Also, their top RB has been out in the first two games. I'm not sure if he's been ruled out for Texas but they were talking like it was going to be a couple more weeks during the Wake Forest game. 

Rice is bad. I mean really bad. I think LA Tech would beat them by 2 or 3 scores. 

What have you seen over the past two weeks that makes you think any weaponry of note is required to move the ball through the air against the Texas D?

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What have you seen over the past two weeks that makes you think any weaponry of note is required to move the ball through the air against the Texas D?

Not much but it's Rice. They're 3-24 in their last 3 seasons. This is one of the worst teams in the country. 

They're 120th in S&P + offense. They finished 124th in S&P + offense last year. 118th in offense the year before. They're one of the worst offenses in the country. I think we will give up some yards but if we can't control this team on offense we're in trouble. 

Already pussies in this thread worried about stupid shit like point spreads.

We are going to ass stomp this team into the ground. They are going to walk away wanting to quit playing football to focus on lauded, paid-for engineering degrees. 

Anyone concerned about this shit needs to nut up. Texas is going to be pissed and come out frothing at the mouth after losing this weekend. This will be a drubbing going into conference play. 

• Like 1

Rice is terrible but not quite as awful as last year. Wake didn't destroy them, and Army only beat them 14-7. None of which is to say we won't be able to name the score, but IDK if Herman wants to pull a James Franklin or Bag O'Dicks on them and fuckstomp them 70-10 or something. It's just not the gentlemanly thing to do when you are playing Rice, as opposed to the Baylors of the private university world. You only want to give your nerdy little brother a wedgie -- you don't need to break his nose and black his eyes.

Also, I expect and hope to see lots of underclassmen out there early -- no need to repeat a disaster like the catastrophic Blaine Irby knee blowout vs Rice. 

Rice's backup QB is a grad transfer from Harvard -- not some green scrub -- and was pretty decent against Wake. Rice also showed stout red zone D against Wake, stalling two drives inside their own six that each resulted in Wake FGs.

All of that said I think we cover that line: UT 52, Rice 10. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Rice is terrible but not quite as awful as last year. Wake didn't destroy them, and Army only beat them 14-7. None of which is to say we won't be able to name the score, but IDK if Herman wants to pull a James Franklin or Bag O'Dicks on them and fuckstomp them 70-10 or something. It's just not the gentlemanly thing to do when you are playing Rice, as opposed to the Baylors of the private university world. You only want to give your nerdy little brother a wedgie -- you don't need to break his nose and black his eyes.

Also, I expect and hope to see lots of underclassmen out there early -- no need to repeat a disaster like the catastrophic Blaine Irby knee blowout vs Rice. 

Rice's backup QB is a grad transfer from Harvard -- not some green scrub -- and was pretty decent against Wake. Rice also showed stout red zone D against Wake, stalling two drives inside their own six that each resulted in Wake FGs.

That's the exact score I penciled in for the game prediction. Bravo, sir. 

• Like 1

Rice IS terrible. There a mid-major disguised as an FBS team. They have no business playing at the FBS level, they will never be good at that standard. I understand why the game is being played, it's a recruiting stop in Houston and needed for Texas.

Texas shiuld win by 40 and of course if they don't there'll be weeping and gnashing of teeth over here and elsewhere. But win by 40 or by 4 it's really a meaningless game except for recruiting. Hopefully the third-string will get some good work in the second half.

I wouldn't expect to  play top 15 teams week after week, but I also hate playing these scrub ass teams. Nothing really entertaining comes out of i the game itself but as I say it's needed for recruiting stop in Houston. Yawn.

Edited by phdhorn

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

But win by 40 or by 4 it's really a meaningless game except for recruiting. 

Just stay healthy and rest some guys. That's all that really matters. This is the big advantage SEC schools have when they play 3 or 4 scrubs. It gives them 3 to 4 weekends to rest and get players healthy. 

Edited by texasstrong12

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yep, agree. Rice is definitely better this year. I grew up in Houston and have a family member attending now, so I follow them.

That said, it's never going to be close. Again, hate that it's at NRG. Lots of great restaurants in the campus area and hitting up Willy's Pub or Valhalla before the game is always fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Didn't he leave get hit in the head and lie on the field for 10 minutes?

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Didn't he leave get hit in the head and lie on the field for 10 minutes?

yeah, but he was released from the hospital already. Doesn't sound like it was all that serious just precautionary. Still seems unlikely that he would play this weekend. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

I knew something was wrong when we couldn’t handle the ball off to Cody Johnson at the 1 yard line and get a TD v Rice 

I never made any posts about it on shaggy because I would have gotten negged to Bolivia, but I knew Gilbert would suck after watching that game.   

15 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I count it as a Rice home game. Stats count it as a neutral site game.

It would be home game even if we played in their stadium. About 5 fans showed up to the Wake Forest game. I think we would have more fans in their home stadium. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1