Eddie Money has his ticket punched

ImissWallyPryor

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Huh. I always thought it was "I've got two chickens to paralyze" 

I always thought the lyrics in "Shakin'" said, "Her tits were shakin' till the middle of the night".  Apparently, they are "We did some shakin til the middle of the night."  I refuse to believe it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

damn, nostalgia makes me sad.  i can still remember and almost experience the memories from my youth.  it's awesome that old songs bring the happy and sad.  oh to be young again...

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

His biggest hit was Take Me Home Tonight. #4 on the pop charts.

I remember rocking out to this song when I was in kindergarten.  

9 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I always thought the lyrics in "Shakin'" said, "Her tits were shakin' till the middle of the night".  Apparently, they are "We did some shakin til the middle of the night."  I refuse to believe it. 

I'm pretty sure thats right, seems like at that point in the video, they also show tits to verify lyrics

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I guess the Good Lord is taking him home tonight 

Guess he didn't walk on water

I subscribe to the Bob Lefsetz newsletter...the target audience is people in the music industry. Thought I'd post what Bob had to say in memoriam about Eddie, along with the email replies he received. A lot of words but made for interesting and moving reading if you're interested in Eddie. Spoilered due to length.

Spoiler

It's hard to write a hit. But from the moment he had one, the critics savaged Eddie Money.

It started with "Baby Hold On." The lyrics were not intellectual enough for the cognoscenti. But the music was undeniable, you heard it once and got it whereas so much vaunted stuff, then and now, you listen to over and over again and still don't get.

Then came "Two Tickets To Paradise."

Now that was a smash right out of the box. Great title, great track, great, emphatic chorus:

"I've got two tickets to paradise
Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight"

This was 1978. When airline travel was still expensive. When you didn't hop on a plane to go to a show or a game, you were stuck at home, dreaming, of what could possibly be, and Eddie Money was opening the top of your brain and filling you with hope, and isn't that what we all need to get by?

But then people started commenting on his weight. Said he ate too many cheeseburgers. Sure, the cover of Money's debut was stylized, but it fit right in with the era, which might be one reason disco killed rock and then the whole business imploded until MTV resuscitated it.

And that wiped a lot of acts out.

But not Eddie Money. He made the transition. First came "Think I'm In Love" and "Shakin." And there's not a soul alive who was conscious in the eighties who does not know "Shakin'," the video was all over MTV. Even bigger was "Take Me Home Tonight," featuring Ronnie Spector, this guy brings back an original and he's the butt of jokes...why?

Now I bought the debut. Got a promo for two bucks the week it was released, and played it into the ground. It made me feel good.

But not as much as "Unplug It In."

It was 1992, "Unplugged" was flourishing on the now totally dominant MTV. Not that Eddie Money was cool enough to be featured, but he released his own acoustic live album, that positively ROCKED!

You see in '92, labels sometimes sent cassettes. At this point vinyl was almost done, in promoland anyway, and I got one of those little Philips creations and pushed it into the Alpine and immediately got into the groove, from the very first note of "Gimme Some Water," the opening cut. This was an album track from Money's mostly hitless second LP "Life For The Taking." Oh, "Maybe I'm A Fool" made it to number 22 on the singles chart, but at this point no one was listening to Top Forty, AOR ruled, and you didn't need a pop hit to go platinum, as "Life For The Taking" did.

Now the studio take of "Gimme Some Water" was a studio concoction, slick, kinda like Bon Jovi's "Blaze Of Glory." You were watching the movie, but in this '92 acoustic take you were LIVING IT! You felt like you were at the gig, it was immediate, engrossing, it made me feel alive, just after my father died.

That's a weird thing, a parent passing. My father had terminal cancer, but when he left this mortal coil I still was not prepared. Little music sounded good, but "Unplug It In" did, because it exuded the feeing of being alive, embracing the excitement of the moment, the power of rock and roll.

And track 2, "She Takes My Breath Away," continued the energy. Originally from Money's 1991 LP "Right Here," featuring writers like Mutt Lange and Diane Warren in search of an impact, it did not make one. The end of this live recording amped up the power. The original was the same song, but it was studio intimate. The live version, once again, was for everybody, you know the feel of a singalong.

But the piece-de-resistance was "Trinidad." A redo of the opening cut of Money's third LP "Playing for Keeps," from 1980, the live iteration has a distinct groove that gives the illusion you're all in a small club together:

"She calls my name
To come on back to hold me
Trinidad
Trinidad, Trinidad, Trinidad
Trinidad"

The only person I ever knew from Trinidad was Roger Ames. Who went to college in Canada. But we're all eager to be called back to the good times of yore, those memories call to us, they're what we think about when we put our head on the pillow.

And I'd have it down. Push the button to flip the cassette. Know how much to hold the fast-forward and reverse buttons to hear these three songs over and over. I distinctly remember listening to them on my ride back from that April day at Mt. Waterman, skiing locally, taking time off, grieving, and now after expending energy on the hill I had the sunroof open and the music blasting and...

I was smiling.

That's what Eddie Money's music did, make you smile.

And then we became friends. He had an AXS show. I asked him to do a podcast. He invited me to his interview and show at the Grammy Museum. He told me what I thought was an anti-Semitic joke, about his wife shopping, and then when I cried foul it turned out he had a Jewish mother, which is something I never expected, but now it made sense, Eddie Money was haimish, you met him and you were immediately his best friend. He whispered in my ear, he'd e-mail me, like we knew each other from way back when. But maybe we did, we both grew up praying to the god of rock and roll. And Eddie was over the hump, the drugs were in the rearview mirror, and then the cancer caught up with him.

First he told me it was gone.

But then it came back.

But he was checking up on me, on my pemphigus. The subject line of his e-mail was "How you feeling?" He was the kind of guy who cared. Oh, he could self-promote, although he had a sense of humor about himself, but I genuinely felt he did care, and to tell you the truth, very few people do, especially rock stars, they tend to be narcissistic and socially awkward, they let the music do their talking.

But not Eddie.

This is what he wrote:

"Thanks Bob 
Could be better
Esophagus Cancer  stage 4 
Leaked into my liver n lymph nodes
No pain n hopeing for the best 
Glad you like the new material
I’m excited about a second season of "Real Money" AXS tv show ) and releasing the new cd 
Kids are good and I’m still doing shows 
How is your health 
Good , I hope 
At the usc Cancer Treatment Center right now ....in God’s hands 
Lost 40 pounds 
People say I look great 
Go figure. .huh Bob 
I know you must know how famous your column is ....the power of the pen .... i have people excited we’re communicating 
I just hope your in good health 
Eddie $"

And then, nine days later, on March 13th of this year, Eddie wrote:

"Hush on my illness 
Please.  Feeling pretty good
Doing a pod cast with Louie Anderson 
Will announce it like Alex Trubeck 
Short , sensitive with a positive vibe 
Although   ALEX is in worse shape than me 
E$"

And then he went dark.

I thought about Eddie, figured he was doing well, figured I'd hear from him if it was otherwise, but then Peter Paterno told me the curtain was falling.

And today he passed.

Which is strange, because he was so alive, he was a funny dude, a good hang.

And the music lives on.

And when I first saw the news this AM, it didn't shock me completely, I knew he was sick. But as the day wore on and the e-mail came in, all I could hear in my mind was "Trinidad," it kept playing in my head.

God took Eddie Money home tonight. They took him back to Trinidad. The music lives on, but 70 is too damn young.

The Big C knows no bounds. If it can get Steve Jobs, it can get you. Sometimes you beat it, sometimes you don't. But I know if Eddie were here now, he'd tell you to spin his records and do your best to have fun, that was his goal, to inspire you to grab hold of this rock life, chuck off the straight world, stop being a policeman and cut loose.

Eddie certainly did!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I happened to be playing my 3rd of 4 shows last night at Pine Knob here in my hometown of Clarkston, MI last night. We had never played any of his songs before last night, but man, his stuff is right in my wheelhouse! it’s fun, easy to rock/dance too, makes ya feel good and our gravel an gruff in our vocals seems to line up just a bit! (We rehearsed it twice in soundcheck and I had a cheat sheet of lyrics on the stage) - but it reminded me of playing all those bars and clubs for all those years where you just learned shit on the fly and let it rock! What a great talent he was. Sorry about your friend. I am up early this am and did a quick youtube search and of course a fan already posted it!  Hope you enjoy our tribute to your friend, I am sure you know his history at Pine Knob.

Robert Ritchie / Kid Rock

Long time reader; first time responder.

This was a really beautiful column. Yours almost always are, especially under these circumstances. Eddie was an industry Rodney Dangerfield. I don’t know whether he cared. I didn’t know him, but he seemed to have a sense of place. He owned for pretty much ever, Pine Knob’s (suburban Detroit venue, now DTE), start of summer concert slot. What sentient person doesn’t want to crank Shakin’ to car radio distortion levels and open the windows/sunroof?  And you are money for singling out Trinidad. No non-Trumpian can listen to that track without smiling and having the all-telling shoulder to ear ratio fall to healthy chillin’ levels. Again, didn’t know him, but based on every interview I ever read, including yours, I think he was was ok with this.

Dan Bober

I met Eddie at a CBS Records event in 1977, right after his debut album came out and "Baby Hold On" was moving up the charts. He was introduced to me by my friend Bruce Botnick, one of the really superior recording engineers, who had worked with me in the 60s on a Rick Nelson project. He had also engineered the Doors. Bruce produced Eddie's album and is really responsible for how great it sounded on the radio.

Eddie and I had lots in common - both Irish-Americans from New York. We got along immediately and spent an hour or so drinking and swapping stories. He was blown away by how fast the CBS team had broken his record, and immensely grateful to Bruce and everyone at Columbia. I'll remember him as a down-to-earth guy, a straight-ahead, no-frills artist who gave every song his all. When I heard he died, I logged on to Spotify and played one of my favorites of his songs:

I wanna go back and do it all over
But I can't go back, I know...

I'll miss him.

Best,
John Boylan

Eddie Money......."There Will Never Be Another You" and I hope we all "Save a Little Room in Your Heart" for Eddie Money today.  Both great tracks by a class act. Thanks for the great tribute been listening to his music all day and reminiscing about my youth. Rest In Peace Eddie $ and be well Bob.

Lee Zeidman

I love those early Eddie Money hits so much.

Ambrosia Healy

That whole album totally rocks. Time and time again I think I need to get it on CD, and rip to MP3, or hook up my Sony turntable to my Realistic (radio shack house brand) STA-528 receiver. Neither has seen daylight in a long time

Sad to hear of his passing, but as you say his music lives one. Saw him once live way back when, it was good show.

70 really is not that old. I am going on 58 and when I look at how fast 12 years can blow by...I need more time! I got stuff I want to do. I still dream of 'makin' it'
with music.

Cheers

Mitch Nixon

Sorry about the loss of your friend. He is a highlight on the soundtrack of my life.

Paul Babb

Beautiful! Thank you!

A major loss. I grew up on Eddie Money’s music and he lived in my hometown of Lafayette, CA - we all felt close to him during high school. RIP neighbor. :(

Thanks, Bob
Cheers!

Caroline Rustigian Bruderer

Great piece bob I think people forget about what a great song baby hold on to me was. Great tribute you could tell he had an awesome sense of humor being able to joke about himself in the public eye.

Thanks, Tom

Great tribute Bob...the money man is smiling!

Michael Abramson

I still listen to the radio. When “Two Tickets to Paradise” comes on (and it often does), I am always in awe of the production and musicianship. The percussion is especially special. They don’t write ‘em like that anymore.

-Juan T.

What a beautiful tribute to a truly great singer. Melodic rock? Blue-eyed soul? Pop? That voice could deliver it all with FEELING.

Carlos Ramirez

Big smile. Thank you.

Nancy Sullivan

I met Eddie on his way to open for the Stones in 1978. We did a warm up show at the club I booked -Dooley’s. He was magic, one of those nights where you knew you were in the room with the NBT. And he was.
A quick 40 years mixed with intermittent sleep later, he is 70 and silenced by cancer.
I was almost extinguished too, but escaped the death grip. Still here today fortunately.
We got to revisit 1978 together at the ride for Ronnie Dio event we have in May every year, in LA. He gave his time freely and was a pro and a friend.
I am sad to see him go. The world needs more Eddie Mahoney’s. He will be missed.
God bless Eddie. There’s some good rockin’ under the full moon tonight. 

Danny Zelisko

Hi Bob,

Bruce Allen put me on onto you and have seldom been disappointed by your views. I want to thank you for sharing your relationship with Eddie Money, one of musics under rated artists.
Rest comfortably Eddie you will be missed.

EJ
Vancouver

thanks, worked with eddie

Martin Katon

Too many makers of the music of our memories are leaving us. I’m almost Eddie’s age, and I’m watching my heroes drop, both younger and older. I have the longevity gene, and I’m selfishly wondering who’s gonna be left to provide the soundtrack for the rest of my life.

Dave Wood

This one landed hard. I live in as straight a world as you can find. It’s my own doing. But when I play Eddie Money, the possibilities just open wide, and I remember to take myself a lot less seriously.

Cheers,
Steve Hayden

Esophagal Cancer sucks. I’ve lost close to 85 lbs.
Dr’s say I’m curable and its not spreading, thank god.
I met Eddie at the Bottom Line, back in the late 70’s.  We did blow in the bathroom. Great guy.

Stu Cohen

Thank you for your mindful and kind words about our friend Eddie.
I worked with him starting almost 40 years ago during my years at Winterland Productions.
I know he is up there smiling at you ….

Talking 'bout my T-shirts
And how they used to fit me
When I'm laughing with the boys
Their spirits seem to lift me

Oh, my friends, my friends
We never got together again
but I love my friends, my friends

My friends, my friends
We never got together again
but I really do miss my friends

"My Friends, My Friends”

Cheers,
Louis Roth

Eddie was a Loving Husband & Father. Eddie was a Rockstar! Eddie was a Pro! Eddie was so Funny! Eddie Loved Golf & The Dodgers. Eddie was a Genuine - one of a kind Friend.
"I’ve Got 2 Tickets To Paradise and I’m taking You all with Me" #TheMoneyMan
Many Blessings to his One and Only Queen Laurie and their awesome Family. "Love ya Ed...say Hello to Subby"
TA

Terry Anzaldo
TA Entertainmen

Wanted to share an insight into Eddie’s essence.  He made demo after demo for Columbia. They passed. Bill was his manager, and they still passed. More demos.  More passes.  But he just kept coming until he got it right. 

David Rubinson

heavy shit right there,  thanks for sharing it.

Michael Halloran

Lefsetz, your columns are “Money!” His music will live on forever. 

Gary Kaltbaum

Bob - thank you for this. I needed it.

Geoff

Thank you, Bob.
Sad, sad to see "us" pass — our turn, I know, but hard to handle.
Kevin Ritchie

Thank you for this tribute, Bob. "Two Tickets" and "Baby Hold On" were monolithic in the lives of my 9th grade friends and me...as much as any of our Aerosmith and Rush and Van Halen records. And when we put our first garage band together and struggled to find songs that were simple enough that we could play halfway decently, “Two Tickets” was the one the girls in our neighborhood loved the most.

I’m including a photo from 1991, just before recording the debut Brother Cane album, when Eddie came to Birmingham, AL for a sporting event and a promoter asked us to back him up for a few songs. To have Eddie lean into me and hold the mic so that we could harmonize together on the chorus of “Baby Hold On” was something I’ll never forget. He was so special.

Damon Johnson

Out of the 1000+ rock star interviews I've done, Eddie couldn't have been more of a delight. Honest. Funny. Real.

I don't think people gave him credit for some incredibly thought-filled songs. And I don't think he was the deepest thinker, and the great thing was he didn't pretend to be. Yet he did deliver vital lyrics for our lives. "Hope" as you stated.

Your line at the end is truth; "...inspire you to grab hold of this rock life, chuck off the straight world, stop being a policeman and cut loose."

How many people can't take off their uniform and live the life? Most. I still have a tough time. If Eddie can do it. And you can do it. Why not me?

This life is Life For The Taking. And Eddie and I talked about it...

"People say
Look at the money they save
But I don't believe that life's that way
An old man once looked at me in the eye
He seemed to sigh
He seemed to sigh, don't let life pass you by..."

I appreciate the work you do.

-Frank Jenks
Listen In

Love the Eddie tribute. What a great time making No Control with him. I'm just starting out as a studio guitarist and there is Tom Dowd, Andy Johns and Eddie. R&R royalty. They have all passed now but did they ever leave their mark. Eddie was just such a genuine guy. Rare in the music biz. His music resonated that. It spoke to the masses. Marty Walsh

Marty Walsh

Nice tribute… I must say.. You really nailed it about Eddie.. brought a tear to my eye.  I did his travel. He was always courteous and kind.  Thanks for saying it for me.

Carol Dunn

Thanks for this, Bob
I wish the world had more Eddie's in it.
We'd all be better and happier...

Greg Malecki

Hi Bob.
Glad you mentioned ‘Trinidad’ and give it it’s due.
Back in the early eighties I lived in a town outside of Windsor Ontario.
WRIF in Detroit was the only station I ever heard that played Trinidad and I loved it.
Still do to this day.
Loved his other stuff as well but that one has always got me.
Blue skies.
Andrew Parr

great column Bob...loved Eddie Money from the time I heard him and always thought of him as a survivor in a tough business...even liked his show on AXS where he seemed to have no problem making fun of himself and showing off his family.  Life is just too short sometimes.  thanks.

Dr. Robert Dranoff

Eddie was booked at a local festival in the cornfields outside of Chicago back in 2000.  The radio station I was working at sponsored it.  Eddie was paid 19 grand.  He arrived on his tour bus, pulling an equipment trailer with just a couple of hours to spare.  'Turns out they had driven from Buffalo.  They set up, and rocked.  Eddie was spectacular but the show wasn't over...Afterward, Eddie announced he'd be signing autographs at our radio station van.  A merch table was set up and Eddie was given a fist full of Sharpies.  In the heat, humidity & mosquitos, Eddie made another 7 grand selling and signing T-shirts and CDs.  Talking to everybody, taking pictures.  A really nice guy.  People were elated.

Eddie Money was talented, no doubt about it.  But Eddie was also a hard worker.  He knew that his wasn't the kind of talent you could ride like a rocket.  He was going to need to get out and push...and he did, always.  And that's why we loved him.

Ken Misch

nice note Bob....I saw Eddie Money at this great show in '79 (https://www.last.fm/festival/941319+SunFest+79) with The Cars and the Beach Boys (bigger names) and the crowd was into it especially "Two Tickets to Paradise"; they didn't care how heavy he was.

Boy was that a super hot day; my buddy wore long jeans and he was dying of heat. They actually turned the fire hoses on the crowd to help cool down. But the bands were great, a super day.

Chris Wraight

Hi Bob. Nice tribute to Eddie and so sorry that you lost a friend. Completely agree about Trinidad. Definitely my favorite EM song. May he rest in peace.
Gary Sender

While on spring break 1989 I saw him in Daytona beach with Ronnie spector and it was fun and great. Sad. He was money.

Jac Berman

Touching tribute.

He played several end of season shows at the Harry Chapin Theatre in Eisenhower Park in Nassau County.  The shows were free so casual and non-fans often predominated but one never could tell.  I take joy when I attend a show where you can tell the performer(s) give their all clearly are not mailing it in.  His daughter performed with him including the Ronnie Spector part and that just added to the many special moments.

I had read he has the reoccurrence but was shocked when I received the (NY Daily) News alert I shared with you of his passing.

Just a good guy.

Corey Bearak

Great tribute.  RIP Eddie Money.

Hope your health is well, Bob.

Tom Calococci

Bob,

Thanks for that! Eddie Money was always kinda background music for me, but thanks for plugging me (no pun intended) into the Unplugged album. I had no idea?!?! And thanks for putting a human face and story to this guy. You've done what only the best, truest friend could do for someone - elevate them in the eyes of others. I'll always have a new-found love & respect for Eddie...

Cheers,

Roy Liu
Boston & MRG

Great piece. Eddie was a customer of ours and nothing but a kind, generous man. The entire family is that way. He was a master at his craft and an even better man. We are better for knowing him.

Mike Newman
CMO
BubbleUp

Eddie Money didn't get near enough credit for his recorded catalogue...
Especially the song-for-song depth of those early albums.

Let me leave it here with a few lines from a song on the first album:

Save a little room in your heart for me
Save my pictures with your memory
And I'll be there...
Eternally.

Marty Bender

Your description of Eddie is spot on to me. I met him at Leopolds Records in Berkeley in the very early 70s. His then girlfriend worked for us. He was friendly and open, a good person. He hadn't put out a record yet so for us he was then Eddie No Money, but he loved the music like all of us. RIP.

Robert Heiblim

Just GREAT, Thank you.

Kevin Benson

We think we know an artist because we know the music... Or what we see of them in the media. You helped me understand him a little bet better today, and I thank you.

His music will live on. He had a gift and shared it. We're all better because of it. Thanks for letting us see a little bit more.

RIP Eddie $

John Cayne

Eddie's finally made it to Paradise.

- Tony Koch

ANTHONY RHODES

Bob,
We lost a good one.
Larry Green

"I’ve got three tickets to paradise
I gave two away in my song."

RIP Eddie Money

I always raise two fingers to anyone whose around during the chorus.

Peter Duray-Bito

Thanks for a beautiful tribute.  Went to youtube, played the songs you mentioned, then felt like I knew Eddie $ too.  MPT

Mark Telloyan

I did production for Eddie multiple times over the years , from the late 80’s on. I never heard Eddie utter a negative word or be unkind. Funny, self deprecating, and a great hang.

Early 2000s I worked an after hockey game EM concert at a B Level arena in a C Level town, and the hockey team was more concerned about the zamboni than the band....and Eddie took it all in stride. He knew the feature that evening was supposed to be the team and that he was the wrap up for the walk out afterward....he came out, killed it....he worked the crowd like the pro he was, and was upbeat and positive....The crowd stayed, sang along to every word, and Eddie left to thunderous applause.

Screw the critics....Eddie was a talented guy who sang positive songs people could relate to. I know he was loved and I know he will be missed.

RIP Eddie $

Trent Keeling

Bob, Wonderful send off for Eddie Money. He was such a colorful character. He could be such a pain sometimes, but you couldn't  help but love the guy. Got some great memories of him too. You described him so perfectly that I shed a few tears.

Alan Oreman

Very well written Bob. His songs 'Gimme Some Water', 'Trinidad', 'Save A Little Room In Your Heart', ‘Runnin’ Away' and 'Peace In Our Time' have all held a permanent spot in my life’s playlist. Today 'Save A Little Room In Your Heart' seems appropriate.

Godspeed Eddie, thanks for the memories.

Dave Livingston

Eddie and the LA favorites from decades ago (RIP Alan), the Buddaheads:

John Cayne

Good ears Bob!!
Everyone can’t be Journey, thank god for that.

Best,
Chris Florio

Several years ago at the Sunset Sessions in San Diego, CA the entire Money family was in attendance and I got to spend time with them for a few days.  I really enjoyed hanging out with and talking to his kids, even felt a little connection.  And now Eddie is gone and all I can think about is the family and their loss, Eddie was one of a kind!  Yesterday I listened to a lot of Eddie Money and it was nice to hear Mest cover "Two Tickets To Paradise" at the show I attended last night...

Tim Pyles

I was fortunate to get to work with Eddie for many years. He was the true definition of showman.  Always knew how to pump up a crowd, sang his tunes with bright eyes a big smile. And boy could he play that sax...

Before he’d go on stage he would regale us with stories from his time spent on the road. Then he’d tell some corny jokes and comment "I’m planning on opening for myself tonight."

A light went out in the world when Eddie left us.  And a few silly jokes will be left untold...

Craig Newman

I kept telling my friends, wait for Bob to weigh in on Eddie Money.  He will make you cry.  And you did.  Lost my father to cancer and it's just like you say, you can never know how hard it will affect you.  Thanks for the kind words about Eddie.

Kevin Andrusia
Orlando, FL

Bob
My favorite Eddie Money track has always been "I Wanna Go Back" It resonated with me as different parts of life passed by. The ups and downs. The hello and goodbyes.

I’m in my 40s now and watching the generation of parents and family who raised me slowly pass on. Grandparents, Uncles, older relatives and recently my Father In-law. All hold various memories for me and each time I have found myself saying "I Wanna Go Back" and do it all over. Appreciate those moments a helluva lot more than I did growing up. But just like Eddie said "..but I can’t go back I know..."

Lou Verile, Jr.

Beautiful tribute Bob.Like many people, I dismissed his music. But here in Detroit, Eddie had a special prominence as he opened up the Pine Knob music season. Yes,
a haimishy dude.

Rob Title

I’m sure every fan is thinking of Eddie today, and I think all of us cancer survivors are grieving this loss in a special way, because we know the insidious nature of cancer and how it keeps you looking over your shoulder.

RIP, Eddie$

As young engineers at Columbia my friend and I cut Eddie's original demo. It was a very interesting evening featuring Troggs Tape type conversations that, just like the Troggs Tape, we recorded. We liked him and it was clear that Eddie had that something you need to hit.

Phil Brown

Eddie Money r.i.p.

As I've said before , being a stage tech of a certain age in the Bay Area means a lot of artists are on the "I knew them when" list.

Eddie is on that list for me especially considering how much he played in the clubs. He was just as likely to be at The Stone as he was The Kabuki or Old Waldorf.

Also, I worked with a band* he produced a record for in 1985.

Being close to BGP Artists also brought me in proximity to him and his partner, Jimmy Lyons, whom I would later hire as an overdub session player @ Music Annex Studios in Menlo Park.

Then there was that time....

Six Degrees of Separation, indeed.

My deepest condolences to all his family and friends.

Allen ( Alien) Craft

* Eddie and The Tide was a Santa Cruz / SF bay Area club band that was starting to pop a bit, and their manager, Bobby Corona (The Keystone Family) got Eddie to produce their 2nd self-released LP. His Pop/Rock arranging skills were evident and the record was a decent product, imo. They never got real traction although they played regularly for many years.

I’m sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing his notes, seeing how he described his condition and also asked you how you are, it showed he genuinely cared. His humor was intact, I couldn’t help remembering "self-pity is the thing that I avoid now, 'cause you see it makes, makes everybody, everybody cry" (from "Bring On The Rain" which he co-wrote). I’ve been streaming his music since I heard the news… 70, gone too soon. Be well.

All the best,
Olga Cardona

Bob, as I read your piece from yesterday after a long 2 days at work Take A Little Bit from “No Control” (my personal fav of his) was playing on my Spotify. Synchronicity indeed. Wouldn’t normally write but this was a pleasant coincidence. Incidentally my father passed a month ago and I appreciate your insight and experience as usual.

Peace,
Gregg Prince
Longtime reader from Buffalo, NY

The man absolutely new how to write and perform a perfect pop song. Few of the critically acclaimed can say that. Few of anyone can say that.

I remember discovering this in middle school - Wherehouse records was going out of business and my best friend bought a best of Eddie Money for a couple bucks as a goof. Joke was on us. We fell in love.

RIP Eddie Money!

Justin Richmond

You’re right 70 is way too young.  It’s hard enough anticipating the time approaching when so many well known and so loved will pass, affecting so many.  With each, will go a little bit of all of us.  But, as you say, the music lives on and, until my last day, just the sound of Eddie’s voice will take me to such a distinct place and time in my life.  It’s magical. 

Thank you, Eddie $ (and thank you Bob for reminding me to listen).

George Wood

makin' this old dude cry on the keyboard.
My wife of 31 (holy crap- time!) years, slowing getting ill over the past year. CT scan discloses large tumour on frontal lobe. Successful surgery.
Waiting for biopsy ... result: rare, aggressive Metastatic cancer.
Every day is gift and every moment precious.
Life can sure turn on the proverbial dime.
On with the fight.
People like you give us hope...you've been fighting yours for a few years now.
even with the losses of Eddie Money, we must persevere ... listening to 'Unplug It' ... thank you
Be your truth Bob !
Ken Hunter
in Vancouver

Great take Bob.  Eddie made everybody he met in this business feel like a million bucks and that is why he was the "Money Man".  My wife Luanne and I played his music last night and toasted to him.  You mentioned Trinidad from one of the most under-rated albums "Playing For Keeps" and if I can share two more gems from that album in The Wish and When You took My Heart they sounded fresh as ever.  Not gonna lie, we shed some tears as Eddie was a fixture at the Canyon venues where she works here in SOCAL and we had so much fun when he opened the Santa Clarita venue almost two years ago.  Had a blast with Eddie and Laurie that night and just to set a little back story...the liquor license and kitchen did not get cleared in time, so you had a venue open with no food or booze.  No problem, you had Eddie Money.  He nailed one of the most energetic sets, had everyone in stiches and his kids were on fire playing that night as well.  He made the crowd realize his music was all it took..."Everybody Rock & Rolled the place, to say the least.

There is not a rock radio guy that came up in the 70's and 80's that hasn't shared a Facebook story...the love they are showing is amazing and so well deserved.  Will miss Eddie and happy he touched so many people.

Best,
Tommy Nast

On my Facebook page, the first link I put up was another album cut "Everybody Rock And Roll The Place"...THAT to me was the spirit of one of the best yet still underrated rockers of all time.

For a man who had so much success, I was curious why he did so many county fairs and smaller towns...I guess , to him, it was a way to get close to even more fans...You don't meet everyone working at the Greek, but you do at State Fairs where other performers wouldn't be caught dead.

I saw him twice...The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano late 1988
..The Celebrity Theatre in Anaheim New Years Eve 1989...Wonderful shows by a guy who obviously loved his fans.

Mike Johnson

Loved him loved his music. Don't remember which wife but he lived in my hometown in the bay area for awhile.
You could go into the local greasy spoon and he would always be there for breakfast.  Everyone in town loved him.
Also remember his show in Fresno with Bryan Adams opening,  Eddie in the middle and Journey the headliner. We all started counting how many times the mic stand went off the stage. 8 times in his set....
Adams killed and of course Journey owned the place. Think he knew he was in a tough gig....
Gonna miss the guy

Tom Hedtke

Unplug It In...you nailed it...played it all the time...still play it a lot....the energy of that recording grabs you by the throat...

This may sound dumb but to this day when somebody says Houston...I think of....I think you know what I mean...

Tom Clark

Bob… Eddie Money did our show, WMMR’s Morning Zoo, in the early 90s and was such a guy’s guy, down to earth, charming interview subject, albeit a little rough around the edges. He regaled us with tales from the road and took great delight in shocking us with his Rock-N-Roll debauchery. The night before, after his show, he told us he got in a bit of trouble and woke up without his watch, but wouldn’t tell us how. He hinted someone may have rolled him or he traded it for “something”. He kept us guessing with that crooked smile of his and said, “I’d better be careful what I say, my wife may be listening.”

I would always have a guitar and piano handy and our lead guy, John DeBella, coaxed a cigarette raspy, hungover, missing his watch Eddie Money into singing at 7 am and It took a lot of begging on our part, but he finally caved in. During the break, Eddie, asked if I would play the acoustic guitar on “Two Tickets To Paradise” and he would play piano. We were rehearsing during the break and Eddie didn’t realize we had come back on the air and says to me, “Hey, kid, when you get to the chorus, really hit that FUCKING guitar and don’t leave me hanging here with my DICK in my hands.” (I put fuck and dick in caps because he shouted both expletives for emphasis) We never worked with a dump button or 7 second delay and DeBella, aghast for a beat or two, says, “We’re here on the show today with Eddie Money as part of our Christian programming requirement.” Eddie, big goofy twisted smile, never acknowledged his cursing and then launched in to a blistering version of his iconic hit, and I didn’t leave him fucking hanging with his dick in his hands.

The next day, our General Manager, Mike Craven, got us that 7 second delay device and we called it, “The Eddie Money Button”. R.I.P., Eddie Money

Part Godwin

Eddie Money is the only recording artist I know, who was loved by everyone.  He had the biggest and warmest personality and made you feel like a best friend immediately upon meeting him.

I remember the first time we met, it was right before his debut album was released on Wolfgang/Columbia Records.  It was 1977 and we were in Bill Graham’s San Francisco office.  Aside from being a legendary promoter, Bill was going to manage Eddie and put him on his subsidiary Wolfgang label that he had with Columbia.  I was Columbia’s western region album rock promotion man at the time, had heard the album, told him I thought it was really good and that we had a chance of establishing him as a serious new rock artist.

Eddie, big, tall, and kind of goofy, looked down at me with his unkempt mop top floppy hairdo, wearing a huge oversized magenta scarf, and said, "Mamma Mia, I hope it goes!" Right then I knew he was a really down to earth kind of guy.

I knew the album had a good chance for success but I wasn’t ready for how quick it was accepted by radio and how fast we were able to establish, not one, but two hits off a debut record - "Two Tickets To Paradise" and "Baby Hold On."

Eddie was a natural frontman and his original guitar player Jimmy Lyon played a role like Ronnie Wood did for Rod Stewart in the Faces - together they killed it onstage.  Eddie was a very funny guy with quick wit and often the dumbest jokes.

In the beginning, he was a wild man like many rockers.  On his first radio promotional tour he was going to be traveling with Warren Williams, a legendary Columbia rep for the western region.  Eddie asked Warren to stop at a local liquor store, "Hey Warren, I just want to run in and get a pack of cigarettes."  About twenty minutes later Eddie emerged with a giant case full of Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, and Gin - "OK, I’m ready now."

In later years he toured as a classic rock act with his daughter and other family members in his band.  He used to joke--"It’s like the Partridge Family, only with marijuana!"

Eddie was born in Brooklyn, grew up on Long Island, and was a member of the New York Police Department which he left after a couple of years to pursue his music career.  He never lost sight of his blue-collar upbringing and even at the height of his career with all the celebrity, millions of albums sold, and large sum of money he made, was one of the few artists who never changed.  His ego was always in check, he remained a regular guy--someone you’d really have fun hanging out with.  And he treated anyone he met, in any walk of life, exactly the same, with big respect.

Once he was traveling with a local rep in New York--they were late for a radio interview and speeding on the Long Island Expressway.  They were pulled over by the cops and it turns out one of the policemen was a guy who was a classmate of Eddie’s when they went through the Police Academy together.  "Hey Eddie, you knucklehead, what are you doin’?!!  Come on, I’ll give you guys a police escort!"  That kind of fun luck used to happen a lot for Eddie.

As industry insiders know, we often staged events for artists to hang out with radio personnel so they could bond and a meaningful relationship could be established beyond just delivering a record to a radio station.  For Eddie we chose paintball - invited all the radio station peeps in southern California to the Malibu hills, chose up teams, and ran around shooting each other with balls of paint while we played Capture The Flag.  No one had more fun than Eddie who was the captain of his team.  The exercise was so grueling running up and down gullies and constantly diving into the brush or climbing behind big rocks for cover that both Eddie and I, who fancied ourselves as macho dudes, had a big laugh that it took us three days and a lot of Advil to recover.

Eddie will be sorely missed, not only by his family, but for all of us who had the pleasure of working with him.  Whenever you told any radio personnel that Eddie was coming by, their eyes lit up because they knew they were in for a good time and a lot of laughs.

It’s never easy when someone passes that you had a connection with.  This one is especially hard -I feel like the world has lost one of its biggest smiles.

Paul Rappaport

Bob -
When I was a kid in the late '70s I bartended for a winter and a summer, in a tough little Vermont town - Vergennes. Far from winter wonderland,  before cable TV and Fedex brought the outside world. The world revolved around The Galley, the one bar in this little burg. Everything was there - business, breakups, toasts, fights, exchanges of many items, not all legal.

Backwoods small town, pretty reticent. Nobody said too much. The jukebox was the chorus playing the songs they talked to each other through - songs sang what couldn’t be said but all felt. Many of these kids (and adults) had tried each other out in high school. Few secrets. Most of those encounters hadn’t worked out as hoped, and yet some went back to the same well hoping for different, to satisfy that thirst... . Every weekend we’d see a pair-up after numerous rum and cokes that you knew next weekend the guy would be with somebody else and the girl would be watching across the room. He’d play the knucklehead hymn "Takin Care of Business". All the buds would sing along.. She’d play Bonnie Tyler’s "It’s a Heartache". Or Patti Smith "Because the Night", not to be hip - the rack jobber had just stuck it in the machine and somebody played it and it worked. Played it a few times myself. Had my own shadow romance in play, another story for another day.

It wasn’t all dark. The guys  worked hard, the BTO tune wasn’t apropos for nothing. And the girls weren’t fragile flowers. They held their own. And don’t tell me that town had no heart. But the lines were drawn by the songs they chose.

The one song everybody agreed on was "Baker Street".  Mournful but redemptive. Familiar vibe, fit the scene like a Carhartt work glove. "He’s got this dream about buying some land"...

The other one a lot of the guys played - the boys back in town after foraying out on their own - usually only for a couple months, some having picked up a Southern accent without venturing any closer to the Mason-Dixon than Albany...and also played by the serious country kids, the ones with common sense, a little depth, a little fire in their eyes?

"Two Tickets To Paradise". It worked for them. Same here.

RIP Eddie Money. That song spoke. Simple but honest and true. Of all the songs played endlessly on that jukebox - that one blazed, that was the one I sang along with. That got a lot of us through that winter. It sounded like the world we knew was out there. It sounded great. It worked.

Jamie Howarth

Excellent.  Thanks for this.  Eddie Money was one of my favorites.  A double bill of Eddie and Pat Benatar was one of my first concerts in ‘80 or '81 in Dayton, OH.

I received a number of texts yesterday from old friends, as I was THE Eddie Money fan in High School.

I followed him through his career and even when times were tough in the early 90s when I saw him at a small club in Cincinnati.  After the show, a friend and I were shooting pool in the club and out from a back room came Eddie.  Stumbling and slurring, "Eight ball in the corner pocket. Buy the new album guys!" he yelled.  Still one of my favorite moments even though Eddie was clearly struggling.

I’ve enjoyed watching his resurgence with the AXS show and the news of his death particularly stings.

On a flight back from a business trip yesterday, I shuffled a little Money Medley.  He really had some great songs, and not just the well known ones.

Like you, Trinidad was my favorite and posted it on my social media feeds yesterday in honor of Eddie.

I really enjoy your messages and podcasts, but this one inspired me to respond.

Thanks for listening (reading).

Steve Edwards

As co-chair of the Recording Academy's Grammy-in-the-Schools program for about ten years, it was my pleasure to have Eddie as a panelist for a couple years.  He was a hit with the students since he honestly answered their questions and was funny and down-to-earth.  He announced at a Board of Governor's meeting that he had arranged to be available to again spend the day at USC as part of that year's upcoming program.  At the end of the meeting, the chapter's executive director came up to me and said, "We've got a problem.  We did not plan to invite Eddie this year since we want to give others an opportunity to participate."  Since she was paid staff, she did want to get into a potential political problem with a 'star.  Since I was part of the volunteer leadership, I wasn't worried about getting fired and volunteered to take care of the situation.  I went over to Eddie and told him that I was in a jam and needed his help.  While I appreciated him graciously volunteering his services again, I mentioned that I was getting blowback from others who thought we should make room for new blood on the panels and that I felt their concerns were valid.  I then asked if he wouldn't mind skipping the event and he replied, "that's totally fair and I am sorry for putting you in a tough spot."  Eddie was a gentleman and the real deal.  Bob Paris

Hey Bob- see below from Laurie Money. I forwarded your article.

dina
c/o LaPolt Law, P.C.

Date: September 14, 2019 at 9:22:46 AM MST
Subject: Re: Eddie Money
I heard about this. I wish I could tell everyone that the cancer didn’t kill Eddie, complications following  the heart valve procedure is what took him. Nice of Bob. Eddie would love this. Eddie was so hurt when he thought that Bob didn’t like him. I’m glad they turned that around into a friendship. So typical of Eddie.

--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
--
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,

Edited by Chopper

Unfortunate. His hits more than hold their own against others of the time and genre. I always enjoyed his music and got to see him perform several times. First time was prob 12+ years ago at the Nugget in Sparks, NV. Even at that time he looked like he had lived every bit of the clique rock star lifestyle. Even later on life as he looked even rougher, he still put on a pretty high energy show.

Later in life his daughter performed a couple of songs at his shows. She looked pretty hot.
RIP Mr Money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yikes.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us:

• Bob Dylan (78 years old);
  • Paul McCartney (77);
  • Paul Simon (77) and
  • Art Garfunkel (77);
  • Carole King (77);
  • Brian Wilson (77);
  • Mick Jagger (76) and
  • Keith Richards (75);
  • Joni Mitchell (75);
  • Jimmy Page (75) and
  • Robert Plant (71);
  • Ray Davies (75);
  • Roger Daltrey (75) and
  • Pete Townshend (74);
  • Roger Waters (75) and
  • David Gilmour (73);
  • Rod Stewart (74);
  • Eric Clapton (74);
  • Debbie Harry (74);
  • Neil Young (73);
  • Van Morrison (73);
  • Bryan Ferry (73);
  • Elton John (72);
  • Don Henley (72);
  • James Taylor (71);
  • Jackson Browne (70);
  • Billy Joel (70); and
  • Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yikes.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us:

• Bob Dylan (78 years old);
  • Paul McCartney (77);
  • Paul Simon (77) and
  • Art Garfunkel (77);
  • Carole King (77);
  • Brian Wilson (77);
  • Mick Jagger (76) and
  • Keith Richards (75);
  • Joni Mitchell (75);
  • Jimmy Page (75) and
  • Robert Plant (71);
  • Ray Davies (75);
  • Roger Daltrey (75) and
  • Pete Townshend (74);
  • Roger Waters (75) and
  • David Gilmour (73);
  • Rod Stewart (74);
  • Eric Clapton (74);
  • Debbie Harry (74);
  • Neil Young (73);
  • Van Morrison (73);
  • Bryan Ferry (73);
  • Elton John (72);
  • Don Henley (72);
  • James Taylor (71);
  • Jackson Browne (70);
  • Billy Joel (70); and
  • Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

You shut your whore mouth 

spacer.png

Edited by Trey3216