2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

If Harrell is really trying to pick his entire coaching staff, he can fuck off and I don't blame Herman. 

Herman is firing basically his entire offensive coaching staff. Could Harrell be any worse than that at assembling a staff?

edit to note: i'm assuming Harrell understands the pitfalls of accepting to work with Tom Herman (read: Herman is the smartest guy in the room and he knows best). If he wants his own staff, he's probably testing that dynamic out of the gate to see how Herman reacts.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Basically USC prob can’t match money but can get close AND Harrell really doesn’t want to coach with Herman...don’t everyone be shocked 

This is some unfounded bs, though. They have never coached together and don't have much (if any) coaching personnel overlap. All reports of their meeting indicate it went well. "Herman is hard to work with" is an abstract concept fueled by message boards, and if Harrell is thinking about it than it was communicated to him by someone who was fired by TH and Harrell probably doesn't actually know that person well enough to take their opinion as fact.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super k walking back his Harrell confidence as well now 

WOW... If Harrell stays at USC, guess he prefers one more year with Helton and the current USC personnel better than working with Herman and/or the current Texas offensive roster. 

The returning USC QB room and WR group are pretty strong for 2020...

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Herman is firing basically his entire offensive coaching staff. Could Harrell be any worse than that at assembling a staff?

Just now, Auto Driller said:

Are you opposed on philosophical grounds or do you actually think Herman would pick better assistants?

CDC. Regardless of what 995 is saying, Herman does not have autonomy to fuck up as he sees fit. Herman is being forced to become a leader, if he can't take those steps he will not be here much longer.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is some unfounded bs, though. They have never coached together and don't have much (if any) coaching personnel overlap. All reports of their meeting indicate it went well. "Herman is hard to work with" is an abstract concept fueled by message boards, and if Harrell is thinking about it than it was communicated to him by someone who was fired by TH and Harrell probably doesn't actually know that person well enough to take their opinion as fact.

While it may be an abstract concept fueled by message boards, if it in fact was communicated, it could have been via dozens of different people.  I don't think you appreciate how small the college coaching community is overall, particularly those with ties to the State of Texas one way or another.  Everyone knows someone that worked with someone somewhere.   GH will have plenty of sounding boards.  I know a couple of people on different staffs that have nothing to do with Texas or USC (not in same conference as either) and don't know either TH or GH yet odds are I'll probably hear how this went down one way or another when I see them in the spring.   All this stuff is discussed over drinks during the coaches convention .

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

CDC. Regardless of what 995 is saying, Herman does not have autonomy to fuck up as he sees fit. Herman is being forced to become a leader, if he can't take those steps he will not be here much longer.

I don't follow. You think CDC is running the show on hiring positional coaches? Or should be?

I'm confused. You mentioned that you don't blame Herman for telling Harrell to fuck off if he wants to assemble his staff...where does CDC come from here?

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s the silly season. The 9.95ers are hedging bc they don’t know shit and need to keep reader trust. This way no matter what happens with Harrell... they were right. Y’all need to all be a little patient and wait to freak out until there’s real news 

Surly should "be a little patient and wait to freak out" ??

giphy.gif

• Like 1

So while we're waiting, I read my buddy's OB Account.  I've typically agreed with the consensus that those guys don't have sources for shit but I'm starting to think that someone in the AD (if not Herman directly) is using them as a full on mouthpiece to report what they want reported.  And those guys aren't talented enough writers for it to not be transparent.

For example:

1.  Report that Eagles missed practice for "personal" reasons rather than what everyone fucking realized was he was fucking done with Mehringer.   Then there was  very little discussion about why he didn't play against TCU from the mods (I mean, if a 'personal' reason then why would he be suspended...yeah, we'll just leave that alone).  How nobody on that stupid website called them out on that disingenuous reporting is beyond me.

2.  They were confident early that staff would be let go Sunday after Tech.  TH threw them a bone here.

3.  They have been pimping Ash at DC since Sunday with a full on fluff piece from "Ohio St. sources" and reporting several will be interviewed but "leader" is Ash.  If I'm right this tells me it was always going to be "Ash" and this "search" is just bullshit.

4.  They are clueless on the OC hire but reporting nobody offered yet.  Setting up an attempt to save face if GH turns us down?

5.  Reporting all positions are open including QB and that Casey Thompson will be able to compete for starting job.  Really?  Clearly this is an attempt to entice CT from entering the portal but does our coaching staff really think CT doesn't see right through that shit?  Yeah, Herman will go into a do or die year with a RS Soph that hasn't taken a meaningful snap over a SR QB starting for 3 years that is on pace to finish 2nd to Colt for just about every record.  Oh, and our marketing dept will be in full on Heisman campaign over the summer no doubt.   Just idiocy. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

5.  Reporting all positions are open including QB and that Casey Thompson will be able to compete for starting job.  Really?  Clearly this is an attempt to entice CT from entering the portal but does our coaching staff really think CT doesn't see right through that shit?  Yeah, Herman will go into a do or die year with a RS Soph that hasn't taken a meaningful snap over a SR QB starting for 3 years that is on pace to finish 2nd to Colt for just about every record.  Oh, and our marketing dept will be in full on Heisman campaign over the summer no doubt.   Just idiocy. 

they're seriously trying to sell that?

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

they're seriously trying to sell that?

Here is the ridiculous quote:

What I found very interesting when I asked about Ehlinger this week is it appears there will be an open competition for the starting quarterback position next year. Casey Thompson did not have a real chance to dethrone Ehlinger this season. Thompson was the fourth-string quarterback as a freshman, and he ran with the scout team. He was a backup last season.

Those close to Herman said the coach believes there is not a single person in the building who should believe their job is safe after a 7-5 season. He intends to allow his new offensive coordinator to have an open competition, and the best quarterback will start in 2020.

We are a long way away from next year’s season opener, but just know Ehlinger will be pushed again. The good news is when Ehlinger was pushed by Shane Buechele in 2018, he had a record-setting season.