2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Do you believe we are savvy enough for a smoke screen? We disguise our most coveted coaching hires as poorly as we concealed our blitzes this year. It’s like we’re picking a pope or something. 

I think we need to reset our expectations for the AD's office pre/post CDC hire.  Del Conte has made some tremendous hires in the other sports including convincing Andrea Hudy to leave Kansas after 15 years and getting long time Michigan asst Luke Yaklich to join Shaka Smart's staff (another HC considered to be on the hot seat). 

• Like 3

I’m not sure he's going to hire an offensive coordinator. My feeling is that he may take over play calling duties to show 1 - that his system works, 2- that there's continuity, and 3- that he does do something here.it makes sense with the Beck reassignment. I got the feeling he may have taken that over during tech as proof to del Conte that the offense can be OK.

I’m not sure he's going to hire an offensive coordinator. My feeling is that he may take over play calling duties to show 1 - that his system works, 2- that there's continuity, and 3- that he does do something here.it makes sense with the Beck reassignment. I got the feeling he may have taken that over during tech as proof to del Conte that the offense can be OK.

How much do you want to bet.

1 minute ago, Daichee Bell said:

no

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Ash wasn't a failed DC. He failed as a HC. He was a good DC at OSU, and helped them win a National championship. It's hilarious to watch people spin so much shit. Barry Odom was a failed head coach, but it seems everyone would be happy if he was hired as the DC. Alabama consistently hires failed HC's to coordinator positions, including their last 3 OC's.

Simple: Saban listens to Red.

1 minute ago, Daichee Bell said:

I don't think he can afford to take over play calling and be the full time OC. it takes away one more card from his deck for next year if things are going poorly and  ensures he can't hire another OC that is worth a damn 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Herman already tried that - this season.  Del Conte decided Herman needed to make a change.

40 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Those three little words come to mind yet again: Bobby. Jack. Wright.

GTFOHWTS.

He wore white pants and diarrhed himself on the internet then he slept with ugliest gnarliest bitch, liked it, but now has got the aids.   He is overrated and Texas scoffs at his shit work.  

It seems like everyone (for the most part) is in agreement when it comes to the OC - but outside of the Utah lifer being mentioned as a top candidate (and Chris Ash sucking shit through a very tiny straw) there appears to be no consensus on DC's.

Jimmy Lake has to be at the top of everyones list - right?  I realize he's likely never leaving the PNW unless its for a top tier HC job - but we at least have to waive the 2.5 million dollr check at him, no?

Then another lifer in Utah's Morgan Scalley?

Kevin Steele?

David Reeves?

How many names do we go through before Chris Ash becomes a legitimate option?

17 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Weren’t Ohio state fans happy to see ash leave? Their new guy seems to be better than ash was.

Nah, Ash has had a good amount of success as a DC. The biggest drawback is his history with Herman. There are also the questions of how much of his success was because of him and is it enough to overcome his below average recruiting.

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Just now catching up.... why is that Chris Ash is a no-go on here? Is he a bad defensive coordinator, or is it just because Herman knows him? Scheme fit not there for the Big 12 (well, anywhere these days, really)?

His Quarters defense was a big part of OSU's dominance in the title year. Fickell and Withers were struggling before then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

DFEI Rankings: 

• 2009 (Clemson): 17
  • 2010: 14
  • 2011: 57
  • 2015 (LSU): 18
  • 2016 (Auburn): 10 
  • 2017: 1
  • 2018: 15
  • 2019: 3

You are seriously underrating how good his defenses have been going back almost 10 years. Dude has had very good defenses for a while...

as to if he is a good match because of cultural reasons, conference reasons or anything else - that is one thing. but he has a book of work as a DC that is pretty damn good...

And that's fair.

17 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

GTFOHWTS.

He wore white pants and diarrhed himself on the internet then he slept with ugliest gnarliest bitch, liked it, but now has got the aids.   He is overrated and Texas scoffs at his shit work.  

Yeah, well did he take pics of himself romancing a shark in a boat?  Because all that sounds amateurish in comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

People keep mentioning Orlando as one of Herman's 'buddy' hires (like Mehringer and Naivar) - as far as I know Herman had never even met Orlando before he was recommended to him as a possible DC hire at Houston. 

If I remember correctly, Orlando made some comments after Herman left Houston which made us question Orlando’s loyalty to Herman.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Just now catching up.... why is that Chris Ash is a no-go on here? Is he a bad defensive coordinator, or is it just because Herman knows him? Scheme fit not there for the Big 12 (well, anywhere these days, really)?

No clue, Ash seems worthy of a good look.  He's a DB coach at heart and I think that type DC is what the Big XII currently needs. I think he could turn around our defense quickly. 

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think we need to reset our expectations for the AD's office pre/post CDC hire.  Del Conte has made some tremendous hires in the other sports including convincing Andrea Hudy to leave Kansas after 15 years and getting long time Michigan asst Luke Yaklich to join Shaka Smart's staff (another HC considered to be on the hot seat). 

I like CDC! I sent him an email re:Herman and fears for the program blah blah blah and he actually called me as other posters have mentioned and we talked for about seven minutes. I came away very impressed 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Because people are fucking idiots. Nevermind that OSU's defense improved immensely between 2013 and 2014 when he came in and turned the secondary around in one offseason.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Nah, Ash has had a good amount of success as a DC. The biggest drawback is his history with Herman. There are also the questions of how much of his success was because of him and is it enough to overcome his below average recruiting.

History with Herman, they coached together for 1 fucking season and won a championship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

but outside of the Utah lifer  (and Chris Ash sucking shit through a very tiny straw ) there appears to be no consensus on DC's.  Jimmy Lake has to be at the top of everyones list - right?  I realize he's likely never leaving the PNW unless its for a top tier HC job - but we at least have to waive the 2.5 million dollr check at him, no?  Then another lifer in Utah's Morgan Scalley?  Kevin Steele?  David Reeves?   How many names do we go through before Chris Ash becomes a legitimate option?

Jimmy Lake has owned Leach and his Air Raid offense... 😂

Edited by LTtxfan

I just looked up defenses that Ash has coordinated. Numbers are for total defense from S&P then FEI.

Wiscy: (34, 46 in 2010 before he arrived)

2011: 36, 48

2012: 12, 18

11/8 the year after he left

Arkansas: (80/64 in 2012 before he arrived)

2013: 80, 99

ranked 20/12 the year after he left

OSU: (44/57 the year before he arrived)

2014: 24, 14

2015: 6, 7

8/3 in 2016 after he left

I don't know what to make of his one year in Arkansas. His teams improved at Wiscy and OSU. That said, there was no drop off after he left and significant improvement at Arkansas.  Without knowing more about each situation, it seems like Ash is a competent DC but doesn't seem like a defensive wizard.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Ash would be a good DB coach but Lincoln Riley and others are probably salivating at the chance to go up against him as a DC.

How so? Last time as a DC he was pretty good. Sucking at Rutgers is not really An indicator of anything other than they need to be in a mid-major conference. 

• Like 1

Mehringer sucked from Day 1 and it took Herman 3 years to get around to firing him.  That he would be friends with a douche like that in the first place is a pretty good hint as to why he has rubbed so many people the wrong way already.  Assholes tend to surround themselves with other assholes.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

does Ash have a proven track record of defending spread offenses?

Urban hired him because he shut down his offense when he was at Wisconsin. Ash's defense held Oregon to 20 points in the championship game despite being -3 in TOs. Frankly I'm not concerned with a guy that schemes to shut down spread offenses. I want a guy that teaches solid fundamentals and tackling, the rest will take care of itself.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It seems like everyone (for the most part) is in agreement when it comes to the OC - but outside of the Utah lifer being mentioned as a top candidate (and Chris Ash sucking shit through a very tiny straw) there appears to be no consensus on DC's.

Jimmy Lake has to be at the top of everyones list - right?  I realize he's likely never leaving the PNW unless its for a top tier HC job - but we at least have to waive the 2.5 million dollr check at him, no?

Then another lifer in Utah's Morgan Scalley?

Kevin Steele?

David Reeves?

How many names do we go through before Chris Ash becomes a legitimate option?

I agree there doesn't seem to be a likely home run for DC.  Scalley and Lake have to be the top two candidates, but both seem very unlikely. Even if we were able to pull Scalley away from his alma mater where he's been coaching since ~2008, there are questions as to whether that is really Whittingham's defense (I think Scalley has only been the coordinator for two years). Kevin Steele? Ok, I guess I could get on board. 

Like most on here, my aversion to Chris Ash is primarily tied to his preexisting relationship with Herman. But, if he is hired, I'm sure I'll circle the wagons this offseason like the idiot I am.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Urban hired him because he shut down his offense when he was at Wisconsin. Ash's defense held Oregon to 20 points in the championship game despite being -3 in TOs. Frankly I'm not concerned with a guy that schemes to shut down spread offenses. I want a guy that teaches solid fundamentals and tackling, the rest will take care of itself.

This right here. I don't give a shit what conference our DC comes from - so long as he can develop recruits and teach the fundamentals his defense is going to stop people enough times for this team to win.