Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Lupe is close behind El Tiempo. Lupe has my favorite beef fajitas. The savory lime flavor is the best. But El Tiempo is better at Everything else. And the tenderloin/filet fajitas at El Tiempo are one of the best foods on the planet.

The tortillas at Lupe are legit too. Reminds me of Ninfa's back in the day.

I took my dad out to lunch there with my 2 boys in tow. They bring out the fajitas which always include a couple whole cooked jalepenos. My oldest son (who was 6-7 at the time) points at the jalapeno and asks what it is. I tell him it's a jalapeno and it might be spicy but if he wants, just take a tiny bite off the tip to taste it. He likes it but says he doesn't want anymore. Fast forward a couple of minutes, I'm talking with my pops when all of a sudden we hear panicked crying. I look over and he took a huge ass bite out of it and is now in a full panic with half chewed jalapeno and seeds pouring out of his mouth. To this day he gets a look of panic anytime someone mentions something might have a touch of spice to it. 

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

if true about urban & strength coach but not the director of recruiting it will be anticlimactic unless urban hires a bagman to replace him

he is the reason behind the outlandish recruiting classes at uf & osu 

While I agree with you that if you had to absolutely pick one of the two, Pantoni is probably a bigger net positive, Marotti is still great given player development/injuries have been something we’ve really struggled with the past decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lupe is close behind El Tiempo. Lupe has my favorite beef fajitas. The savory lime flavor is the best. But El Tiempo is better at Everything else. And the tenderloin/filet fajitas at El Tiempo are one of the best foods on the planet.

They both are in a race on who can charge the most for a pound of fajitas.
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Love to see el chico represented here. There was one in the mall in my hometown that we would go to growing up.

Just a few years ago, I found out that a couple of guys I know are in the founding family. Really nice people. They tried to do a new place a few years back but it didn't seem to stick and closed fairly quickly. Still, it was cool to read up on the family history after realizing it was their grandparents/parents place I went to as a kid.

My hometown has an El Chico in the mall as well. I'm not sure how it has had the longevity considering other tex-mex chains like Casa Ole, Monterrey's, and La Tortuga all were once in business in the town, and all of them went out of business. Yet, El Chico has stood the test of time there is still in business somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Let me know when we leave Tex Mex and go to heart attack cheese fries since I am ready to nominate Snuffer’s in Dallas for that.  Their cheese fries with jalapeños and their ranch dressing was crack.  Haven’t been there in years so it still maybe good.  No idea.

GOAT cheese fries were at Shady Grove in Austin. But some asshole or asshole collective has managed to ruin that part of Austin, too.

2 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

Not sure if they’re just DFW area or statewide, but beef fajitas at La hacienda Ranch are some of the best I’ve ever had.  Never eaten in the restaurant - looks kinda cheesy.  But someone turned me on to those beef fajitas and they are fantastic.  No idea how their other food is . 

We tried a place nearby the Dallas location the other day called Fajita Pete's.  I could not believe how tender the beef fajitas were.  Will be hard for us to hit our typical Manny's or Mi Co's after that.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The whole Pauly Shore thing is in reference to the Son in Law movie he was in. 

Nah it's Biodome as a reference to the Bubble and how shit blew up in that movie as a parallel to our poor training facilities Urban has issues with apparently 

5 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

Not sure if they’re just DFW area or statewide, but beef fajitas at La hacienda Ranch are some of the best I’ve ever had.  Never eaten in the restaurant - looks kinda cheesy.  But someone turned me on to those beef fajitas and they are fantastic.  No idea how their other food is . 

Haven't been there in years but one was near my old house in Frisco and they were quite good back in the day.

10 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

if true about urban & strength coach but not the director of recruiting it will be anticlimactic unless urban hires a bagman to replace him

...yesxa recruiting coordinator is responsible for recruiting success of one of the greatest coaches of this generation....how will urban survive without him.....

Who was Mack's recruiting coordinator? I am sure Urban can find another bag man...I mean coordinator.....

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

I didn't see a tweet that claims the director of recruiting is not coming.

19 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

El Chico was where my family went for Sunday lunch after Church when we could splurge. So yeah, we were poor too

El Gallo's in South Austin for my fam... ate the hell out of soft tortillas till they brought us our children's plate.  😋

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, smash said:

We tried a place nearby the Dallas location the other day called Fajita Pete's.  I could not believe how tender the beef fajitas were.  Will be hard for us to hit our typical Manny's or Mi Co's after that.

I’ve seen that across from Kroger.  Doesn’t the sign say catering or something?  Didn’t realize it was for single orders. 

32 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I primarily bought from the RLM and Dean Keeton cart.  If not an eggroll with a lemonade it was a turkey melt.  

I think this may be the one I frequented as well.  At the corner of 26th and Speedway.  It was convenient to CPE where I spent most of my time.  My friends and I affectionately referred to this food cart as the "Cancer Shack".  Usually got fried rice or Indian Bread (some kind of stuffed fried bread pocket).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

...yesxa recruiting coordinator is responsible for recruiting success of one of the greatest coaches of this generation....how will urban survive without him.....

Who was Mack's recruiting coordinator? I am sure Urban can find another bag man...I mean coordinator.....

If the worst thing I have to worry about come Monday morning is that Urban agreed to be our coach, is bringing his S&C coach, his son in law to be QB  coach then I could give two flying fucks who the bag man is.  I will be happy as a pig in shit if this played out like that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

GOAT cheese fries were at Shady Grove in Austin. But some asshole or asshole collective has managed to ruin that part of Austin, too.

WTF? Shady Grove closed. That was a very unique Austin place I loved.  The soul of Austin of old is pretty much dead anyway but this kinda made me sad. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

I’ve seen that across from Kroger.  Doesn’t the sign say catering or something?  Didn’t realize it was for single orders. 

That's the one.  We did pick-up but also saw people dining in.   They have legit lard-based hand-made smashed tortillas and great queso as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Uncle Julio's is a decent TexMex chain. Not sure if there's one in Austin. 

Yeah, they are good just way too dam expensive. I can get dam near good a meal somewhere else for half the price. The price of margaritas has a lot to do with where I eat Mexican food nowadays.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhornlove said:

You don't really need a bagman at Texas do you? Need development and good coaching no?

You need a bag man at every single college that is competitive in football or basketball.  Texas is no different.  We may not "cheat" as bad as others but trust me we "cheat" just like everyone else.

4 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I think this may be the one I frequented as well.  At the corner of 26th and Speedway.  It was convenient to CPE where I spent most of my time.  My friends and I affectionately referred to this food cart as the "Cancer Shack".  Usually got fried rice or Indian Bread (some kind of stuffed fried bread pocket).

Spent all my time at ENS which we non-so-affectionally called "the bathroom" or "the toilet" because all of those little bathroom tiles that lined the hallway walls.

I ate the heck out of the Indian bread.  Lots of egg rolls, turkey pockets, and strombolis too. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

since tuesday...

every visit, i click on the last page of the thread... then go back two pages. then try to piece together some sense of...anything.

and we're in exactly the same place as tuesday lol 😁🤘

I’m doing that exact thing right now. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

True but imo it’s not quite texmex.  But good call.  Hit it often.  Even though Rick Bayless is brothers w Skip Bayless...

The two could not be more different! At least publicly.  Rick is the shit and i respect the hell out of that dude.  Skip can eat an antifreeze turd and swallow.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic