Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The roladex for potential assistant coaching hires and the ability to evaluate, pick, and entice a coaching staff was likely undervalued in the hiring of Strong and Herman.  That is still a concern with Matt Campbell. 

It should be a consideration that Campbell has never worked at a big time program, not even as a GA.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

We should definitely hurry up and fire Herman so this can be us.

So has Auburn already decided to hire Steele (and thats why Napier took his name out - like with South Carolina) or is there some other job/situation Napier is waiting for?  Have to believe Auburn is a pretty good opportunity for Napier.

*apparently Sark took his name out of contention for the Auburn job as well

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Jesus. FCB is just as bad as they get. Anyone who believes anything he says at this point is just a fucking imbecile.

He likes saying "size up". Maybe Freudian there? Thinking about sizing huge cocks  up his ass?

NTTAWWT

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

We should definitely hurry up and fire Herman so this can be us.

Indeed. I only hope I can live long enough to see the day we get turned down by the man who beat the great Matt Campbell.

But seriously would you bet money that Texas can win another Big 12 title before Auburn wins another SEC one? They seem to be pulling out all the stops here while we seem paralyzed.

Watching Campbell chew the officials out in the B12 CCG over the weekend made me realize how much a truly influential coach is needed, one already in good graces with the national media, even a figurehead for sports.  At minimum, the candidate should have experience coaching in the NFL or one of the few not-crackerjack-conferences to crack some skulls over the implicit bias and candy-assed agenda the B12 office has led with over the last decade.

Someone here made a comment last week about the "bend over and take it" bitch-assedness Turtle Tom has taken toward the defense, where a LB or DB can't blow up a bullshit Lincoln-Riley bubble screen without a 15 yard flag.  That shit has to end, no team will be competitive in this conference (on a national stage) until the B12 itself is called out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Bobby Burton coming with the BDE....?

image.png.814b650ca6e7721fa623d9b59c01a2f7.png

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

That definitely ain’t bde

Seems like BDE to me. "Should we give up hope on UM?" ---> "Sure, if UM changes his mind. "

Sounds to me like BB thinks the chances are good to get UM.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Indeed. I only hope I can live long enough to see the day we get turned down by the man who beat the great Matt Campbell.

But seriously would you bet money that Texas can win another Big 12 title before Auburn wins another SEC one? They seem to be pulling out all the stops here while we seem paralyzed.

I guess getting turned down by Sun Belt coach is 'pulling out all the stops'.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

any "journalist" that puts together a list of potential coaches that includes gary kubiak needs to be burnt at the stake along with his dumbass list.

You are not going to like to hear this, but Texas has already spoken to him apparently. That list came straight from the people in the search. 

Edited by Newy25

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You are not going to like to hear this, but Texas has already spoken to him apparently. That list came straight from the people in the we search. 

Yep. Gary Kubiak is not just being pulled out of thin air.

If he can somehow figure out a way to bring the 2015 Broncos defense with him I will be on board.

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Look Campbell might be the guy. I am just saying the whole "if Charlie Strong can do that with Louisville talent wait until you see what he can do with Texas talent!!111" line of thinking hasn't shown to actually mean much.

There is a big difference here. Campbell is actually doing it against the same level of competition that Texas is playing. None of the main candidates are sure things and it’s going to be about fit and what kind of staff they assemble. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Whatever you wanna say about Kelly, that's cool, but if it's seriously him we're targetting, I'd be pretty excited if he brought his old OL coach Harry Hiestand to Austin. Dude could 'croot and develop some OL, now. 

But how good can he cook, and would he be comfortable hosting a cooking show on LHN?  You know, the important stuff.

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Campbell is actually doing it against the same level of competition that Texas is playing.

Doing what? Mirroring what Texas' head coach has done to get fired? 

And Louisville is a P5 team last I checked. So, what the fuck are you talking about?

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, jinx said:

But how good can he cook, and would he be comfortable hosting a cooking show on LHN?  You know, the important stuff.

Should've seen the warning signs when he got chopped in round 2 on Chopped.

And Louisville is a P5 team last I checked. So, what the fuck are you talking about?

They've been better than us 2 years in a row by at least a little bit; Louisville wasn't a P5 team when Charlie was there.

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Mirroring what Texas is doing with a fraction of the resources and talent. 

And it's not like Charlie or Tom in their previous gigs. It's against the same teams. It's against US every year. We know Herman can get up for a big game, which is what OU was for UH. It's just a regular ole game now and he can't get it done.

I get there are concerns with Campbell, and I'm not endorsing him for the next Texas coach, but whether or not he'll be able to be more successful with the talent just being at Texas can get him vs. his 50-ranked classes at ISU isn't one of them. 

And more importantly, like it or not, we'll most likely not end up with any sure fire candidates as real possibilities when this is said and done. So it's either taking a chance on a guy like Campbell, or taking another step back by continuing to let Herman do whatever the fuck it is he's doing. 

Edited by UncleBuck

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure Campbell is a great fit for Texas, but to dismiss what he's done at ISU, a program that went 3-9 / 2-10 / 3-9 in the 3 seasons before he became head coach and has no appeal to top recruits, as "mirroring" what Tom Herman has done at Texas is asinine.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

I'm not sure Campbell is a great fit for Texas, but to dismiss what he's done at ISU, a program that went 3-9 / 2-10 / 3-9 in the 3 seasons before he became head coach and has no appeal to top recruits, as "mirroring" what Tom Herman has done at Texas is asinine.

"But Tom beat OU one time at Houston while beating up a bunch of other American Athletic Coastal Southern Conference teams so that's basically what Campbell has done."

2 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Not to be pedantic, but Louisville was not P5 when Charlie was there.

Right. I caught that when googling. They were Big East his first 3 years which was kind of P5 and then spent a year in the AAC and were in the ACC the next season.

And I'm done debating Matt Campbell. Y'all can take it to a different thread. It's definitely not the point of this thread.

Just now, elguapo said:

To be fair, Texas went 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 the three years before Herman took over.

The appeal to top recruits portion is obviously true, but is there any evidence that Campbell has any ability to recruit top players?  ISU's classes seem to be on par with what they have been before (maybe a little bit better), so it's not like he has helped them recruit at a much higher level since he's been there.  Maybe it won't matter at Texas and we'll get top 10 classes no matter who is the coach, but it would be nice to see some evidence of an ability to attract top talent.

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

To be fair, Texas went 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 the three years before Herman took over.

The appeal to top recruits portion is obviously true, but is there any evidence that Campbell has any ability to recruit top players?  ISU's classes seem to be on par with what they have been before (maybe a little bit better), so it's not like he has helped them recruit at a much higher level since he's been there.  Maybe it won't matter at Texas and we'll get top 10 classes no matter who is the coach, but it would be nice to see some evidence of an ability to attract top talent.

This is the right answer. Charlie disregarded recruiting until signing day and slapped together roughly top 10 classes with a shit product on the field. Recruiting only dies in transition years.

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

so it's not like he has helped them recruit at a much higher level since he's been there.

You are not wrong about this. Because it's Ames, IA, it's hard to say what impact he really could have, but you can say for sure it doesn't appear he's had much. But at the same time, there's no way in hell ANY coach who can coach better than Tomert, with the classes they'll inherit at Texas, is going to sink recruiting down into the 40-50s rated classes. He'll be coaching far better classes the whole time. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You are not wrong about this. Because it's Ames, IA, it's hard to say what impact he really could have, but you can say for sure it doesn't appear he's had much. But at the same time, there's no way in hell ANY coach who can coach better than Tomert with the classes they'll inherit is going to sink down into the 40-50s rated classes. He'll be coaching far better classes. 

All he has to do is match Tomothy in recruiting and he will be a massive success. Tom has been ok at recruiting, had the great new coach bump year and then been pretty shit since. If Campbell makes the right hires and wins, then recruiting takes care of itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

WTF is wrong with you people. UM to Texas is done. stop already with that other weak ass shit, take it the weak ass shit threads designed for the weak at heart aka SDE fuckers

SDE? I thought we decided it was LDE

Edited by DFW Horn

8 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

WTF is wrong with you people. UM to Texas is done. stop already with that other weak ass shit, take it the weak ass shit threads designed for the weak at heart aka SDE fuckers

Yep. Jesus. Fuckin' Day Shift bitches fucking shit up as usual.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I've watched Texas land top 10 after top 10 class for most of the past decade and where has that gotten us? As long as Texas is taking care of it's shit then we will land the talent necessary to compete for the big 12 every season. Finding a coach that can identify the right talent and develop it is key. Herman was able to acquire talent but the talent was not properly developed primarily due to his staff hiring decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Rewatching The Last Jedi currently...god damn what a fucking cluster with so much potential. Rose is worse than Jar Jar and no one can convince me otherwise. Just need to retcon the whole trilogy IMO

The Mandalorian almost makes up for its shortcomings. Almost

Lego Yoda™️ — Not my GIF A/N: I've had this sitting in my drafts...

• Hook 'Em 2