Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm having a bit of a time deciphering this as well. CTJ is normally pretty damn serious, no matter his tone. I believe he's trying to say all of this Kelly and Mullen talk is just slight of hand, distracting us from the fact that Urban is a done deal. I just can't detect his level of belief in it. 

I think he's mocking us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wait wut? i checked out of this thread for the most part a couple of weeks ago...are you being serious when you say you think it's urban? what is going on, please?

You will need to go to page 427, weave your way through the McRib, music, whiskey, craft beer, boots, barbeque, thirsty Nicole posts, night shift vs. day shift, and Star Wars references to find the knowledge you are seeking. The journey will be tedious and filled with many bumps along the way, but the reward is sweet. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm having a bit of a time deciphering this as well. CTJ is normally pretty damn serious, no matter his tone. I believe he's trying to say all of this Kelly and Mullen talk is just slight of hand, distracting us from the fact that Urban is a done deal. I just can't detect his level of belief in it. 

My interpretation is that's 80% joking, 20% "well shit maybe". 

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Since Brian Kelly continues to be brought up - besides Star Wars bullshit, of course! - here are some thoughts I just posted on the other thread.  (Hope it fits under the "or bust" umbrella.  Fits - bust - have at it.)

Wonder how many of you would be really happy with Kelly, if Meyer balked?

**************************************************************************************

BRIAN KELLY

- In 11 years at Notre Dame, Brian Kelly has all of 4 wins vs. Top 10 teams.  (4 wins in 13 games.) 

- Of those 4 Top 10 wins, one was against a #10 Michigan State team that finished the year unranked (7-6).  Another was his overtime win this year, vs. Clemson w/o Trevor Lawrence.

- And he's around 21 out of 41 vs. Top 25.

- Note, Fuckface (yeah that guy) has 6 Top-10 wins in his time at Houston and Texas.

IF KELLY CAME TO TEXAS

- If Kelly came to Texas and had access to better talent, yeah, we would have a high floor; routinely beat unranked teams, split with Top 25, stumble vs. OK/Top-10.

- So better years than we've seen in the recent past, but I don't see us regularly contending for a national title.  

- Would likely feel like pre-2005 Mack.  Sit around hoping that a Vince or Colt came along to put us over that top.

ND IN THE PLAYOFFS

- If he pulled off a miracle and won the title this year, would that change the - I hate this word - narrative? Sure.  National titles tend to do that.  Esp. since he would have to go through Alabama and likely Clemson.  We'll find out.

- But if he suffered yet another blowout?  For me, it would simply reinforce the current one.

There’s definitely downsides to Kelly and his record is inflated because ND have had some seriously easy schedules, but he’d basically guarantee that we develop one of the best OLs in the country, we’d play competent football consistently, and he’s been pretty damn good at identifying DCs. Even if he fails to win against elite teams, he would leave this program in a drastically better place than he found it when he retires and he sets up the next guy (hopefully a promising coordinator who’s been on staff for a while) for success. I also think his ceiling is higher than ND because of better access to talent at UT. 

After Urban, I’m really not sure who you could argue is a better realistic candidate than Kelly. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Urban is coming to Texas. It'll be announced the day after tOSU's season is *completely* finished. He'll be in Austin, standing at attention, bagmen in tow, with that cheeky fucking grin on his face just knowing that he's about to turn college football on its head. And we shall rejoice and drink hard liquor and be merry and a percentage of our population will undoubtedly be taken into custody. 

You left off “everybody getting laid”...

Otherwise +1

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Kubiak intrigues me more than Kelly does. Has a SB ring, knows the state, Nahlin mentioned he'd get either Ewers or Manning next year. Plus the idea of winning a NC with him has me thinking of all the Aggy tears that will come after when cuckmaster couldn't deliver on their end. 

Or

1383536579000-AP-APTOPIX-Colts-Texans-Fo

#BigFeetEnergy

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

There’s definitely downsides to Kelly and his record is inflated because ND have had some seriously easy schedules, but he’d basically guarantee that we develop one of the best OLs in the country, we’d play competent football consistently, and he’s been pretty damn good at identifying DCs. Even if he fails to win against elite teams, he would leave this program in a drastically better place than he found it when he retires and he sets up the next guy (hopefully a promising coordinator who’s been on staff for a while) for success. I also think his ceiling is higher than ND because of better access to talent at UT. 

After Urban, I’m really not sure who you could argue is a better realistic candidate than Kelly. 

No one, which is why if it's not Urban Meyer, it's probably Tom Herman.

Just now, Augustus said:

I've never seen anything quite like this thread.

Me either.  As has been noted, it's like a really long, really crazy, chat.  I thoroughly believe that is has become self-aware, and is probably posting this on my behalf right now, since I'm actually drunk and in the bag already, watching the first bowl game.

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That was a movie made by people that hated their audience.

So basically exactly like the coach searches of the last few cycles.....an inept administration that thinks they know what is best, what we need, and what we fucking deserve.  Then rolls out a plate of dog shit with a bow on it and tells everyone to enjoy themselves.

Deliver a better product.  This isn't fucking complicated.  

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Since Brian Kelly continues to be brought up - besides Star Wars bullshit, of course! - here are some thoughts I just posted on the other thread.  (Hope it fits under the "or bust" umbrella.  Fits - bust - have at it.)

Wonder how many of you would be really happy with Kelly, if Meyer balked?

**************************************************************************************

BRIAN KELLY

- In 11 years at Notre Dame, Brian Kelly has all of 4 wins vs. Top 10 teams.  (4 wins in 13 games.) 

- Of those 4 Top 10 wins, one was against a #10 Michigan State team that finished the year unranked (7-6).  Another was his overtime win this year, vs. Clemson w/o Trevor Lawrence.

- And he's around 21 out of 41 vs. Top 25.

- Note, Fuckface (yeah that guy) has 6 Top-10 wins in his time at Houston and Texas.

IF KELLY CAME TO TEXAS

- If Kelly came to Texas and had access to better talent, yeah, we would have a high floor; routinely beat unranked teams, split with Top 25, stumble vs. OK/Top-10.

- So better years than we've seen in the recent past, but I don't see us regularly contending for a national title.  

- Would likely feel like pre-2005 Mack.  Sit around hoping that a Vince or Colt came along to put us over that top.

ND IN THE PLAYOFFS

- If he pulled off a miracle and won the title this year, would that change the - I hate this word - narrative? Sure.  National titles tend to do that.  Esp. since he would have to go through Alabama and likely Clemson.  We'll find out.

- But if he suffered yet another blowout?  For me, it would simply reinforce the current one.

Plus, Kelly brings LDE. Hard pass

Latest Brian Kelly GIFs | Gfycat

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's not where we are, no matter how often you show up here to claim that it is.

Think they can Herman after the bowl game as long as one of the candidates or Urbs shows even slight interest or will they wait for a handshake like Charlie/Herman

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Think they can Herman after the bowl game as long as one of the candidates or Urbs shows even slight interest or will they wait for a handshake like Charlie/Herman

If it's not Urban Meyer, there is no reason whatsoever for Tom Herman to be the head coach at Texas right now. None.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

You see, we don't want to scare Urban Meyer away with unwanted speculation about the position at Texas. He's fragile. 

Well, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Fuckface should be fired if he's definitely gone regardless of who we hire. But, CDC is just being nice letting him coach one final game?

Okay...

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I'm always serious or even most of the time. I do make sure when I am actually passing stuff on to be clear about that and that it's like something I'm divining myself. I guess here I didn't make it that clear because I was fucking around. My first paragraph in the quoted post is serious. The second paragraph with one sentence is just me wishing good karma into the thread and world. 

I don't know who knows shit at this point. Usually very informed folks are scratching their heads. The one thing everyone who knows anything has been clear on is that Fuckface is gone. After that it all looks like conjecture. 

thanks for clearing that up(i think).  now we can freely conjecture that URBAN F'N MEYER is coming to Texas!    in maybe...2 weeks.

Just now, DFW Horn said:

Well, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Fuckface should be fired if he's definitely gone regardless of who we hire.

No, because finding a coach that we here on surly can ALL agree on outside of Urban Meyer is too hard. Just like winning. So we'll just stick with what we know. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I'm always serious or even most of the time. I do make sure when I am actually passing stuff on to be clear about that and that it's like something I'm divining myself. I guess here I didn't make it that clear because I was fucking around. My first paragraph in the quoted post is serious. The second paragraph with one sentence is just me wishing good karma into the thread and world. 

I don't know who knows shit at this point. Usually very informed folks are scratching their heads. The one thing everyone who knows anything has been clear on is that Fuckface is gone. After that it all looks like conjecture. 

188787.jpg

Edited by Bevo

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Well, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Fuckface should be fired if he's definitely gone regardless of who we hire. But, CDC is just being nice letting him coach one final game?

Okay...

The fact that he's still the coach is why I think he will still be the coach if we don't get Urban Meyer.

I really, really, really hope I'm wrong.

Just now, David Dennison said:

What's happening here is worse.

Is it though? We had one JAG decommitment, a couple transfers who were probably going to transfer anyway due to lack of playing time and the people that declared were probably always going to declare. What about this situation makes it look worse than getting turned down by Louisiana Lafayette's coach after paying a bigger buyout than Herman. Auburn had a rash of decommitments and is currently ranked 41st in recruiting just ahead of Rutgers. If Herman is actually retained (He wont be) then yes it is worse but think its a bit early for all that. Get back to me in February

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, DFW Horn said:

Okay...

Nope, the bukee pukes are just waiting to make the lives miserable of CUM, Spinnershells, and the current bukee assistants he wants to take with him.

If they see Fuckface fired before CFP, they know it's CUM to Texas for sure.  That's all they're waiting for.

CUM knows this, so he wants to have everyone magically popup in Austin after bukee is done in the CFP, so that they are all far, far away from the Cbus harassment they'll get.  

The unscheduled pop-up "Surprise! I'm here!" press conference seems to be how these big coaching changes go now, so as to avoid ugly scenes with angry fans at the college that they are leaving -- which makes the CUM situation even more myopic, because he hasn't been the bukee HC for years now, but the mob there seems to think he's "theirs."   ---Until he's not!  LULZ

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The university gets to look less like assholes such as Auburn and South Carolina, keep the majority of its recruiting class, and keep most of its roster without leaving the players in limbo worrying about who their next coach will be which would otherwise lead to increased attrition.  

Anybody know enough about the AU and USCe rosters to know if their coaching searches and uncertainty lead to increased attrition? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to know if NSD1 was negatively impacted for either.