Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 3/3/2024 at 2:32 PM, pops said:

E tickets. 

I've saved every ticket stub since high school so over 30 years worth of ticket stubs. There is some cool shit in there. Steve Nash beating Arizona in the tourney. Jordan flu game. A superbowl and some pretty good concerts mixed in with all kinds of random shit but they all bring back memories. 

Getting tickets to opening weekend for my kids and my dad at Chavez. He's a dodger fan and somehow I ended up a cardinals fan but whatever. His first game at Chavez was watching Kofax pitch in the world series. Now he's going to get to see ohtani play in the same barn. And all I will have is a fucking email and a bar code. I fucking hate e tickets. 

After Game 6 ALCS I got an email for a "FREE Digital Commemorative Ticket" ... initial caps because it is so damn special to get a digital ticket.

Or I can pay someone to design and print me one.

Can probably be crossposted with the enshittification thread.

• Rage+1 2

I wonder if one of my direct reports (call him Zed) is on the autism scale or just has no self awareness.

During our weekly check-ins, I tell Zed again and again to work on 3 things... 1) communication with the team; 2) show up at the office unless there's something pressing at home; 3) get ahead of whatever's going on so he can manage the situation instead of being managed by the situation.

We had a proposal due last Wednesday. It was all hands on deck for the last push.  Zed told me after our Monday check-in that needed to leave at 3PM to coach little league. Never mind the fact that the proposal due date was set a month ago. 

I asked the project manager*** how Zed was doing. The PM says "I think he's doing okay". I dig into Zed's work, and he hadn't even started preparing for the meetings, and was going to wing it, "learn the project along the way". I sent Zed a text that night to say he needed to get his shit together.

The fucked up part is he argued back, saying he's the expert, and I should just let him do his thing. At this point, a lot of people are tired of Zed's shit, and no matter how much I tell him to work on this or that, he doesn't get it. I've started sending him emails documenting our conversations so he'll remember, and so I can give them to HR when the time comes.

*** Oh yeah, we're firing the project manager because he's a bumbling idiot who fooled ALL OF US during his interview. 

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

I wonder if one of my direct reports (call him Zed) is on the autism scale or just has no self awareness.

During our weekly check-ins, I tell Zed again and again to work on 3 things... 1) communication with the team; 2) show up at the office unless there's something pressing at home; 3) get ahead of whatever's going on so he can manage the situation instead of being managed by the situation.

We had a proposal due last Wednesday. It was all hands on deck for the last push.  Zed told me after our Monday check-in that needed to leave at 3PM to coach little league. Never mind the fact that the proposal due date was set a month ago. 

I asked the project manager*** how Zed was doing. The PM says "I think he's doing okay". I dig into Zed's work, and he hadn't even started preparing for the meetings, and was going to wing it, "learn the project along the way". I sent Zed a text that night to say he needed to get his shit together.

The fucked up part is he argued back, saying he's the expert, and I should just let him do his thing. At this point, a lot of people are tired of Zed's shit, and no matter how much I tell him to work on this or that, he doesn't get it. I've started sending him emails documenting our conversations so he'll remember, and so I can give them to HR when the time comes.

*** Oh yeah, we're firing the project manager because he's a bumbling idiot who fooled ALL OF US during his interview. 

Sounds like you need to go medieval on Zed. 

tumblr_mr7zcnLrLz1ry3qezo1_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/29/2024 at 7:04 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I have noticed that most of the time when someone just sends a "hey" message and I ignore them, I never hear from them again.

The best is when you ignore them and then they respond 'nevermind, I figured it out!'.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck group projects( yes I realize some are unavoidable.)  There are always fuckers like Zed who expect the group to carry them, and might even clamor for the recognition.

There are laws on the books that keeps them from straight up getting their asses kicked like they deserve.  Fucking mooches.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

You sure the pm is the issue or Ted?

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

To be honest (and no offense to any PMs here), PMs aren't the best and brightest in their fields of work.  They are the OCD person who can put together a timeline.  All my previous employers, PMs are turning over like crazy.  I can think of two that are worth anything, and they tend to pivot into a bigger and better role after time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

You sure the pm is the issue or Ted?

Both are issues. The PM has fucked up 2 previous projects where I and another guy had to take over. Didn’t manage the team properly, and hiding bad news instead of bringing them up because he didn’t want to look bad. The decision has been made and just a matter of processing through HR.

25 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

To be honest (and no offense to any PMs here), PMs aren't the best and brightest in their fields of work.  They are the OCD person who can put together a timeline.  All my previous employers, PMs are turning over like crazy.  I can think of two that are worth anything, and they tend to pivot into a bigger and better role after time.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I have a few guys who are great at leading groups and also putting their head down to do work. Others are just better individual contributors which is okay with me. 

32 minutes ago, Underdog said:

REPEAT RANT: Motherfuckers who don’t refill the water reservoir of the break room Kuerig.  GDit, that little light is flashing for a reason, numbnuts. 

Freaking on the daily at our office.  Like clockwork, I go to get coffee, it's empty.  Some asshats only dump in a cup or so worth of water when the go to make coffee, too.

• Rage+1 1

I had a come to Jesus meeting with Zed today. Pretty much told him to get his head on straight or he’ll be out of a job.

During the talk, I had to tell him to put down his fucking phone and flip it over because he wouldn’t stop looking at it.

The guy is late 30s but I swear he acts like a teenager at times.

• Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

I had a come to Jesus meeting with Zed today. Pretty much told him to get his head on straight or he’ll be out of a job.

During the talk, I had to tell him to put down his fucking phone and flip it over because he wouldn’t stop looking at it.

Probably checking surly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pooping in airplane bathrooms makes me surly.  On short haul trips this can be easily avoided. But the trip I’m on currently was 42 hours door to door on the way there, and is about 50 hours door to door on the way back. I can’t go 2 days.

I’m halfway home. I’ve had to poop on 2 airplanes so far (combined outbound and return). Turkish and Kenya Air. 

Side note: my trip back across the Atlantic is on United. Other than American or Lufthansa, they have the surliest flight attendants in the world. And the airplane bathrooms are awful on United. 

Now three different planes this trip. that last one is going to be very unpleasant for whoever goes in there next.  <Ace Ventura donotgointhere.gif>

This United plane is actually pretty good. The 30-something guy attendant in my section is very chipper and friendly. Nice change from the surly 50 and 60-something attendants who only take flights so they can keep their benefits, and only haven’t been fired because of their union status.  
As a severe claustrophobe, I don’t really care for the Polaris seating. I love the privacy, but the way they jam us in here is not pleasant. Air Canada BC is very similar. 

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Nice change from the surly 50 and 60-something attendants who only take flights so they can keep their benefits, and only haven’t been fired because of their union status.  

As many times as I've asked older flight attendants if they're on Surly, they've never admitted to it...

Edited by PvilleStang
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

Maybe that dimwit Zed wants you to fire him so he can sue you for making him feel bad.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:21 PM, Superhero said:

Zed works for you?  Damn, I bet you have an interesting job.

ZED.jpg

Every ad for the new stretchy pants that aren't ( allegedly) tight are modeled by the same twenty-something birdlegged motherfuckers who absolutely do NOT demonstrate how the "new pants" won't perform miracles for the fat dudes to whom they are marketing.

Maybe it doesn't exactly make me surly, but the ads are a fucking joke.  Show some 40 year olds who weigh 250# doing burpees or loading a smoker into the back of a pickup and maybe I'll consider the concept of your yoga pants for boys a win.

Edited by slorch

On 3/7/2024 at 2:36 PM, deadshank said:

Oil change tech: “we checked all four tires while we were at it and added some pressure!”

Uh, thanks?  

Oh, dear  

IMG_9884.jpeg

Is that in PSI? Holy shit you're a pot hole away from a massive explosion

• Rage+1 2

On 3/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, Bevo&amp;Pevo said:

Zed works for you?  Damn, I bet you have an interesting job.

ZED.jpg

Good ol’ Rip Torn….Taylor High School, Class of 1948 - 15 years ahead of Mrs. Brat (Once a Duck, always a Duck)

34FDB2D3-28D7-4FDA-8C5A-F7B36B442931.webp

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:36 PM, deadshank said:

Oil change tech: “we checked all four tires while we were at it and added some pressure!”

Uh, thanks?  

Oh, dear  

IMG_9884.jpeg

What on earth. I would be fucking furious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Native Horn said:

It's all good.  Just hydrogen.

Hydrogen and oxygen have never killed anyone. 

Well except for the millions of drowning, hurricane, tsunami, flood-related deaths over the millenia.

But OUTSIDE of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

What on earth. I would be fucking furious. 

I had that happen to me in my Vette some years ago. I hadn't gone 2 miles and alarms started going off like crazy. I eased it back to the oil change place and lost it on them. Got a refund on the oil change and 2 years free service. THEY DO NOT CHECK THE TIRES, and I watched them the whole time afterwards. 

Edited by SHOOTER12

firstly samsung products suck fucking ass.  secondly their website is even worse, although this website style is getting common.

i just want to see the specs.  i click the obvious bold Specs navigation link on top left... it skips me to this section of the page with reviews.  i scroll up and down the page from there.. no specs.

turns out you gotta expand that table (boxed in red) to see the goddamn thing.  cmon man

image.thumb.png.3d7352a7ef830ac48cab7cca2fc91a80.png

• Rage+1 2

Stuck behind some RAV4 on 71 today, and the dude's doing 2 over the limit on the left lane, crawling past the dude on the right lane.  2 minutes later, he finishes passing the other guy, then slowly pulls into the right lane, and starts going 80.

Fuck Off Greg Kinnear GIF by Shining Vale

• Rage+1 7

Saving documents on OneDrive. Unless you specifically tell it which subfolder to put it in, it goes into the ether. Somewhere, somehow it’s saved, but it’s sure as hell not in the root directory or the Documents folder. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:31 AM, HRSchenker said:

Is that in PSI? Holy shit you're a pot hole away from a massive explosion

This. They and you are genuinely lucky one didn't blow out, doubly so that one didn't blow out with someone in close proximity. I'd go back and either go off on them or politely inform them, that was a major safety issue. The manager needs to know this is happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:30 PM, nnm said:

Saving documents on OneDrive. Unless you specifically tell it which subfolder to put it in, it goes into the ether. Somewhere, somehow it’s saved, but it’s sure as hell not in the root directory or the Documents folder. 

I've disabled OneDrive for this very reason.  They can hack into my machine if they really want to anyway.

• Like 1

Not so trivial and VERY surly.

Fellow travelers who check their bags make me surly.  I've been traveling heavily internationally for over 30 years.  I know the drill.  I can go a month, from boardroom to beach, with one carry-on bag plus my office backpack.  

We just finished up a week in Costa Rica.  We had a great time.  We rented a huge Air bnb on the beach in Santa Teresa, and had a wonderful time.  Santa Teresa is one of my favorite places in the world.  

Before we left, I warned people not to check bags.  I told them we were going to the beach, and minimal clothes are required, plus we could do laundry.  I even sent them the clip from Up in the Air where Clooney tells Kendrick how idiotic she is for bringing a huge suitcase. Did they listen?  No.  Not any of them.  

Despite a lifetime of watching me effectively travel with no checked bags, my three adult kids, all three spouses, and my wife all checked bags.  

I give my oldest daughter a pass because they have a baby.

Yesterday we get to Liberia airport and there's a small private plane crash on the runway.  Nothing major, no injuries, but it shut the airport for 3 hours.  No incoming or outgoing flights.  There's only one runway, so all of the flights stacked up.  My oldest and her husband and daughter were able to get out on SWA.  My son and his wife were able to get out on SWA.  But the flight to IAH for my wife, my daughter, SIL, and me was cancelled.  

I scrambled and got us on a flight today.  And got a hotel for the night.  And got a driver to take us to the hotel and back to the airport.

The problem was that the other three (wife, daughter, and SIL) checked bags.  I waited for 2 hours for them to get their bags before we could go to the hotel.  The bags never came.  I stayed on hold for an hour with United baggage services who told us they couldn't help us.  We got here and I had to stay in line to check in and try to figure out where the bags are.  They're not even my bags and, frankly, I hope they are lost forever. 

Untold anxiety from all, hours and hours of waiting.  For absolutely no reason.  There was no reason to check bags.  

I'm sitting here with my bags, wearing clean clothes.  They're all miserable, wearing the dirty clothes from yesterday and super stressed about their stupid bags.

And I'm the asshole.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

Not so trivial and VERY surly.

Fellow travelers who check their bags make me surly.  I've been traveling heavily internationally for over 30 years.  I know the drill.  I can go a month, from boardroom to beach, with one carry-on bag plus my office backpack.  

We just finished up a week in Costa Rica.  We had a great time.  We rented a huge Air bnb on the beach in Santa Teresa, and had a wonderful time.  Santa Teresa is one of my favorite places in the world.  

Before we left, I warned people not to check bags.  I told them we were going to the beach, and minimal clothes are required, plus we could do laundry.  I even sent them the clip from Up in the Air where Clooney tells Kendrick how idiotic she is for bringing a huge suitcase. Did they listen?  No.  Not any of them.  

Despite a lifetime of watching me effectively travel with no checked bags, my three adult kids, all three spouses, and my wife all checked bags.  

I give my oldest daughter a pass because they have a baby.

Yesterday we get to Liberia airport and there's a small private plane crash on the runway.  Nothing major, no injuries, but it shut the airport for 3 hours.  No incoming or outgoing flights.  There's only one runway, so all of the flights stacked up.  My oldest and her husband and daughter were able to get out on SWA.  My son and his wife were able to get out on SWA.  But the flight to IAH for my wife, my daughter, SIL, and me was cancelled.  

I scrambled and got us on a flight today.  And got a hotel for the night.  And got a driver to take us to the hotel and back to the airport.

The problem was that the other three (wife, daughter, and SIL) checked bags.  I waited for 2 hours for them to get their bags before we could go to the hotel.  The bags never came.  I stayed on hold for an hour with United baggage services who told us they couldn't help us.  We got here and I had to stay in line to check in and try to figure out where the bags are.  They're not even my bags and, frankly, I hope they are lost forever. 

Untold anxiety from all, hours and hours of waiting.  For absolutely no reason.  There was no reason to check bags.  

I'm sitting here with my bags, wearing clean clothes.  They're all miserable, wearing the dirty clothes from yesterday and super stressed about their stupid bags.

And I'm the asshole.  

We'll take a carry on apiece and buy new clothes (if needed) once we are there.  Usually bring the new stuff back and leave the old stuff in the hotel.  It is nice just to stroll thru the aeropuerto and head right the car.  F that waiting at the baggage conveyor. 

• Like 1

Parents that insist on bringing their minor children into restaurant bars that are clearly marked “no minors” or “adults only” or “must be 21 or older to enter.”   The establishment  is providing the entire rest of the joint for parents with children so there can be a  spot for adults only.   

But, oh no.  Here we come.  We don’t care.  Meanwhile the adults engross themselves in drinks and chit chat while their kids run wild.  

• Rage+1 2

“irregardless” is now apparently an acceptable word in the English language because so many people started using it that we all just gave in to these cretins that refuse to believe in grammar or decency or logic or the rule of law. 

image.gif.5472a9e7ccf88bae64ab2afc137fa498.gif

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

“irregardless” is now apparently an acceptable word in the English language because so many people started using it that we all just gave in to these cretins that refuse to believe in grammar or decency or logic or the rule of law. 

image.gif.5472a9e7ccf88bae64ab2afc137fa498.gif

I could care less. 
😡 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2