Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 4/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

One that grinds my gears that I am occasionally guilty of is when someone replies with “I am doing good” or “I am good” instead of well.

LOL.  Taught that one to my 4th graders last week and asked them to test some of the other teachers in school with the correct response.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wife dragged 6 year-old, 12 year-old, and me to an Easter egg hunt this morning.  12 year-old is all, "This would be great if I was 6.  Can we go watch hockey?"  But that's another story.

Oldest and I get in line to get some fresh squeezed lemonade.  30 GD minutes later we're third in line.

1st in line orders, then digs through her purse for between 3-5 mins for change.  This couldn't have been done in line.

2nd in line steps up and orders lemonade.  What size does she want when asked?  She doesn't know despite the fact that the GD SIGN IS 6 GD INCHES FROM HER GD FACE!  So she proceeds to ask about all the sizes and subsequent costs. 

I turned to my wife, handed her the cash, and told her I'd meet her in the car.  THAT'S why I have high blood pressure.

The problem is you.  You are the problem.  You have not handled the situation with aplomb. You have an aplomb shortage and don't understand the keys to a less stressful life. 

Let me help:  Next time, grind your gears all you want while in line but when it's your turn to order, say, "I'll have a lemonade.  With two shots of vodka.  Oh, hell, you only go around once.  Make it three (hold up three fingers so the dumb kid/bartender understands you want three shots),  It may be 9am in Knoxville but it's always 5 o'clock somewhere."

It's possible this will cause some commotion.  If so, you're either at the wrong place at the wrong time or someone done an exceedingly poor job of training their kids/bartenders.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

The problem is you.  You are the problem.  You have not handled the situation with aplomb. You have an aplomb shortage and don't understand the keys to a less stressful life. 
Let me help:  Next time, grind your gears all you want while in line but when it's your turn to order, say, "I'll have a lemonade.  With two shots of vodka.  Oh, hell, you only go around once.  Make it three (hold up three fingers so the dumb kid/bartender understands you want three shots),  It may be 9am in Knoxville but it's always 5 o'clock somewhere."
It's possible this will cause some commotion.  If so, you're either at the wrong place at the wrong time or someone done an exceedingly poor job of training their kids/bartenders.

He should have brought a flask.
  • Like 2

People at sporting events who think they are funny with their loud mouth banter and comments."The players love it.  It makes them laugh"

They're not laughing with you...they're laughing at you.

and for crisakes stop telling the runner on first his lead is too big when 1B man is 20 feet from the bag.

I fucking swear I was surrounded by gotdam aggies last night, but alas, I was 500 miles from Olsen-Cream of Death Park

People over the age of 25 who use the word “like” an average of 5 times per minute on a 3 minute conversation.  Discretely Tape yourself speaking with your phone a few times per day.  Listen to it privately at the end of the day.  Then eat a lot of pills.  

I'm finding this particular annoying habit mostly in the millennial generation...

Someone is presenting information (class presentation or a podcast/radio interview), in the form of a statement, not a question, but ends the statement with a voice inflection that you would normally use when asking a question.  I just want to yell at them, "Are you making a statement or asking a question?  You can do one or the other, but not both."

I don't know if it's because they don't have enough conviction to make a statement or what.  But it's highly, highly annoying and makes me want to force everyone to take a proper speech class. 

EDIT:  Apparently there is a term for this..."uptalk".  I fucking hate it.  

Edited by Uncle Nate

30 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm finding this particular annoying habit mostly in the millennial generation...

Someone is presenting information (class presentation or a podcast/radio interview), in the form of a statement, not a question, but ends the statement with a voice inflection that you would normally use when asking a question.  I just want to yell at them, "Are you making a statement or asking a question?  You can do one or the other, but not both."

I don't know if it's because they don't have enough conviction to make a statement or what.  But it's highly, highly annoying and makes me want to force everyone to take a proper speech class. 

EDIT:  Apparently there is a term for this..."uptalk".  I fucking hate it.  

IMPO worse than the more commonly bitched about vocal fry.

I always thought vocal fry was just someone trying to squeeze out more words without taking another breath, or just getting lazy at the end of a sentence.  My older sister is one of the worst offenders of vocal fry.  Drives me insane.

But the upspeak/uptalk I'm hearing from this younger generation has trumped it on the annoying scale.

11 minutes ago, BadgerHorn said:

Vocal fry is often an attempt to artificially deepen one's voice to be taken more seriously.  Opposite outcome is usually the case.

Really ?  'cause if that's the  reason they're missing the mark by about 30 years. It sounds like they're 12.

Some evidence exists of vocal fry becoming more common in the speech of young female speakers of American English in the early 21st century,[4][5][6][7][8] but its frequency's extent and significance are disputed.[9][10] Researcher Ikuko Patricia Yuasa suggests that the tendency is a product of young women trying to infuse their speech with gravitas by means of reaching for the male register and found that "college-age Americans [...] perceive female creaky voice as hesitant, nonaggressive, and informal but also educated, urban-oriented, and upwardly mobile."[4]

http:// https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

On 4/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 4/15/2019 at 3:28 AM, 52-80 said:
stepped on chewing gum on the way to the office today.

honestly, chewing bubble gum is annoying enough as it is.  if you throw that shit carelessly on the ground, i fully support singaporean-style caning for that kind of action

People who litter in general need to be castrated.

Oh bull s***, you don't really believe that. I know for a fact then you throw down two or three cholas per week on the ground.

• Like 1

Every action adventure, cops and wops, suspense and or horror movie with a scene where someone is entering a dark room, dark house, dim warehouse or whatever and the characters cautiously walk around without the dang lights on.   

Flip on the cotton picking lights, dingbat. 

Just now, deadshank said:

Every action adventure, cops and wops, suspense and or horror movie with a scene where someone is entering a dark room, dark house, dim warehouse or whatever and the characters cautiously walk around without the dang lights on.   

Flip on the cotton picking lights, dingbat. 

People who sit in dark movie theaters, and yell out... "turn the damn lights on !!".  

1 hour ago, DougO said:

They way they make t-post clips way too short on one side and super long on the other side. WTF?

buncha city slickers up in here have no fucking idea...

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Usually belongs in the wives thread but when someone texts you, you call them immediately, and they dont answer

I texted you for a reason.  Don't call me unless I asked you to. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Usually belongs in the wives thread but when someone texts you, you call them immediately, and they dont answer

If I'm in a meeting/conference type situation and can't actually talk then deal with it 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If you miss a call, do you immediately show up knocking on that person's door?  Why are you shifting communication methods?

• Like 3

I texted you for a reason.  Don't call me unless I asked you to. 
Nobody ever asks anyone to call me via text. They just call. I assume you can find time to talk if you have time to text
If I'm in a meeting/conference type situation and can't actually talk then deal with it 
Chill, you're not that important
If you miss a call, do you immediately show up knocking on that person's door?  Why are you shifting communication methods?

Yes.

MNLonghornFUKM - are you my brother?  Because he does that shit.

I'm with the others.  If I wanted to talk, I would have called.  But I didn't...I texted.

In this same vein...at work...people who call and leave a message wanting some immediate response.  Guess what...if you had emailed me...you would have had your immediate response.  Because I can check emails while in meetings, but I can't return phone calls.  They seem to think my only job is to sit at my desk waiting for their call.

• Like 3

Another work one (I work at a university):

"Uncle Nate - we have a group of students who don't have this or that and we need them to have this or that."

O.k...well...what students?  And what this or that?  They seem to think I'm omniscient and just automatically know what they hell they are talking about.

I'll text someone to see if they have time to talk.  When I'm in meetings I won't answer a call, but will respond to a text to let them know when I can talk.  Lots of what I do is time sensitive for contractors in the field. Letting them know I've gotten their call/message, and when I can call back makes their job a bit easier.

• Like 2