Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The smell of scented candles makes me ragey. I have yet to find a scented candle that I consider to be an improvement over normal (i.e., non-noxious) ambient air quality. 

They make unscented candles. I don’t mind scented candles but I wouldn’t have a bunch of them burning at once. A little vanilla or cinnamon can be nice, though. And while I’ve never owned one myself, I get the seasonal bayberry thing and think those smell nice. But I tend to prefer unscented candles and I can burn incense if I want aromatics.

5 hours ago, nnm said:

You’re on an irreverent, profane, provocative messageboard focused on a university from Texas. Its current motto is “a place for broken brained assholes.”

I suggest that if you’re looking for progressive, inclusive, politically correct, intellectually stimulating discourse, you are in the wrong place.  

Dude's from Ohio, a veeeeeeery sensitive state apparently. They only burn the best couches, and sofas.  Actually scratch that, they only burn Fooooo-tons....

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They make unscented candles. I don’t mind scented candles but I wouldn’t have a bunch of them burning at once. A little vanilla or cinnamon can be nice, though. And while I’ve never owned one myself, I get the seasonal bayberry thing and think those smell nice. But I tend to prefer unscented candles and I can burn incense if I want aromatics.

Phish's music is gay.

I'm at the office and I went to heat up my lunch in the microwave and it was already being used. However, there was no one around. The person came back about a minute after it had finished, profusely apologizing. I wasn't going to take their food out, I don't really feel like I've been inconvenienced but I was still irritated.

• Like 1

Wax candles in glass containers seem to be all the rage these days. I stopped into a Bath & Body Works store a few months ago and that’s the only kind of candle they had. I suppose that’s a trivial thing that makes me a little bit surly because I think a plain pillar candle is a superior product. Managed properly it has character. The way the lip melts. That’s what made Bullfrog candles so great, so distinctive. They had a softer translucent interior which allowed the glow from the flame to shine all the way through the candle, and a harder outer covering that didn’t melt as quickly, peeling back, rolling away, and kind of giving the impression of a bullfrog’s outstretched mouth as it melted down. I don’t know for sure but I always assumed that’s where the Bullfrog brand name came from. That outer lip could be twice the width of the pillar as it melted down. They looked really cool.

You’ve got to burn pillar candles for a little while at a time, like three hours or so. You need to burn it long enough to get the wax melted all the way out near the edge so the edge gets soft. Burn it for too short of a time and you’ll just build a narrow tunnel that will eventually get flooded with melted wax and smother the wick making it go out. You can burn tapers for as long as you want but a pillar requires a little investment of your time. 

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The best thing about this post is its brevity. That showed real restraint. Well done. Keep up the good work. 

I’m trying my level best.   But For a guy who doesn’t like long-winded, poorly lyric’d ramblings, that riff on and on with very little payoff………you sure like Trey Anastasio a lot.   ;)   

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wax candles in glass containers seem to be all the rage these days. I stopped into a Bath & Body Works store a few months ago and that’s the only kind of candle they had. I suppose that’s a trivial thing that makes me a little bit surly because I think a plain pillar candle is a superior product. Managed properly it has character. The way the lip melts. That’s what made Bullfrog candles so great, so distinctive. They had a softer translucent interior which allowed the glow from the flame to shine all the way through the candle, and a harder outer covering that didn’t melt as quickly, peeling back, rolling away, and kind of giving the impression of a bullfrog’s outstretched mouth as it melted down. I don’t know for sure but I always assumed that’s where the Bullfrog brand name came from. That outer lip could be twice the width of the pillar as it melted down. They looked really cool.

You’ve got to burn pillar candles for a little while at a time, like three hours or so. You need to burn it long enough to get the wax melted all the way out near the edge so the edge gets soft. Burn it for too short of a time and you’ll just build a narrow tunnel that will eventually get flooded with melted wax and smother the wick making it go out. You can burn tapers for as long as you want but a pillar requires a little investment of your time. 

You seem to know a lot about, and prefer, phallus-shaped objects. Good for you.

It’s not for everybody, but I’m glad that in this day and age a man who likes that sort of thing can feel comfortable fondling a large cylindrical object which droops when exposed to heat over an extended period of time.

There was a time in our male culture when that sort of thing would be frowned upon, but no more.  Bravo!

I had a seizure maybe an hour ago. It was powerful enough that I needed to lie down "just in case". The waves stopped after 2-3 minutes and I felt safe standing up again. What sucks is it took the next 30-40 minutes before I could speak properly and make sense of anything I read.

I've just finished a small project for my daughter and now it's time to go to sleep... good night.

• Rage+1 1

What the hell @Superhero?!?  Not trivial!  You’re a relatively young man.  Get to the hospital ASAP!! That needs to be checked out!

From today’s headlines about the NM Senator (49 yo):

“The senator started to feel dizzy and fatigued Thursday morning and checked himself into Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, Sanchez said. He was transferred to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where it was determined he had a stroke in the cerebellum, which affected his balance. A decompressive surgery was performed to ease swelling, according to the release“

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

I had a seizure maybe an hour ago. It was powerful enough that I needed to lie down "just in case". The waves stopped after 2-3 minutes and I felt safe standing up again. What sucks is it took the next 30-40 minutes before I could speak properly and make sense of anything I read.

I've just finished a small project for my daughter and now it's time to go to sleep... good night.

Have you wakened up this morning?  If so, go to the doctor to find out what happened.  If you did not wake up, shame on you for not going to the hospital last night.

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn @Superhero, you ok?

Yeah

59 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Have you wakened up this morning?  If so, go to the doctor to find out what happened.  If you did not wake up, shame on you for not going to the hospital last night.

Yes I’m awake. I started having seizures 6 years ago. I won’t say it’s part of my life now, but I can control it pretty well with medication and enough sleep.

Where I messed up was forgetting my medication yesterday morning and not getting enough sleep for several days in a row.

Speaking of which, I’m going to take my medication now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn @Superhero, you ok?

Yeah

59 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yes I’m awake. I started having seizures 6 years ago. I won’t say it’s part of my life now, but I can control it pretty well with medication and enough sleep.

Where I messed up was forgetting my medication yesterday morning and not getting enough sleep for several days in a row.

17 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Yeah

Glad that you are OK but your original posting was alarming because it read as something out of no where!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nnm said:

You seem to know a lot about, and prefer, phallus-shaped objects. Good for you.

It’s not for everybody, but I’m glad that in this day and age a man who likes that sort of thing can feel comfortable fondling a large cylindrical object which droops when exposed to heat over an extended period of time.

There was a time in our male culture when that sort of thing would be frowned upon, but no more.  Bravo!

Like all of the shit kickers posing with their assault rifles aren’t overcompensating for something.

Nice try.

Slow walkers, especially in a work or school setting. Sure if you’re at the beach take it easy, but otherwise get a fucking move on!

And you can tell the people who do it at work so they don’t have to work as much. We had a few of those on the farm growing up. Walked and drove slow everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

When someone is crossing the street slowly and realizes you’re in a car waiting on them, and they just glare over their shoulder and continue walking slow like they’re some kind of important badass.

That makes me rage as well. When I am leaving a store and somebody waves me on I always speed up to a trot.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jofus said:

When someone is crossing the street slowly and realizes you’re in a car waiting on them, and they just glare over their shoulder and continue walking slow like they’re some kind of important badass.

Or when you're trying to make a turn at a stop sign and people walk in front of your car. 

The top of my mom’s chimney collapsed this morning while I was picking her up for church.  I was standing on her sidewalk and about half of what collapsed landed 5 feet behind me.  Now I have to climb up on her roof and clean the rest of it off and see if there is any roof damage and then find someone to come out and give me an estimate for rebuilding the chimney.

image.thumb.png.6c2da8891a4ca43f7bc3ebe0aeceb5c1.png

5EE81A8B-F073-446B-BE44-B9DCACB527E9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The top of my mom’s chimney collapsed this morning while I was picking her up for church.  I was standing on her sidewalk and about half of what collapsed landed 5 feet behind me.  Now I have to climb up on her roof and clean the rest of it off and see if there is any roof damage and then find someone to come out and give me an estimate for rebuilding the chimney.

If Houston, PM me

57 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Not trivial. Or cheap. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, Butch Had Not said:

Fuck. Turn the water on in the kitchen sink and the water hits the spoon at the bottom perfectly causing a splash back right into your shirt.

People who don't 1) put their dishes in the dishwasher or 2) wash their dishes right then.

Yeah, the sink ain't a holding area until somebody wants to clean their dishes.  Common misconception...