Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

8 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Okay this post is a perfect place for me to rant about COVID tests (also promise this isn't CR). We've been doing them for a few weeks for foreign travelers and cruise ships. I'm ready to stop because the amount of backlash I'm getting is ridiculous. Our old form used to be like an a la carte where we would check which test was given (rapid or PCR) and whether you were positive or negative. One patient said the airline wouldn't accept their negative PCR test because it had the word "rapid" on the form. I'm looking at the form and the only place "rapid" appears is for the rapid test. But they didn't get a rapid test, they got the PCR and it doesn't say rapid anywhere. They put me on the phone with the airline rep who says the same shit and I almost lose it. "Do you see where the PCR test is selected? It doesn't say rapid.". "But it says rapid on this other test". "They didn't take that test, it's not checked off. The PCR test is checked off and it says negative."

We make a new form where it's only PCR and only rapid. Cruise ship in Galveston won't accept it. Why? Because I signed the form. The cruise line says my signature has to be printed on the form. So instead of having a professional looking form with a wet to paper signature from a health care provider, it's now typed on the form. It looks so fucking fake but it's the only way they'll accept it.

Oh it gets even better. Saturday I get a call from a patient who isn't being let on a cruise ship by a different company because I didn't put the time the test was performed on the form. They require a negative test within 72 hours of arrival. Can you guess when we did the test? It was Friday. The day before. So it doesn't matter whether I did the test at 12:01am or 11:59pm on Friday, it's within 72 hours of arrival. But that's not good enough for this company. What. The. Fuck.

Sounds like they are asking a bit much of their staff to interpret lab requisitions and test results.  

That JD Power exists and makes money. 

Got an email from amex promoting that theyve an “award winning app” and received from JD power a #1 ranking in “customer satisfaction with mobile credit card apps”. 

Why is there an award for credit card apps? Why does amex pay JDP to participate in this? Why do either parties believe this creates realizable value to the public. 

In an indirect, roundabout way, probably 23 cents of the annual fee I pay to them go towards this expenditure, so i have a small prerogative to feel aggrieved about it. 

21 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Daylight savings. Just make daylight savings permanent and let’s move on from this shit.

The semiannual bitching about Daylight Saving Time. Get over it already. It’s never bothered me. I like it to stay lighter in the evening and daylight when I’m trying to sleep does me no good.

Fun story, though. Back when I was in school there were reports out of Athens, OH that Ohio U students were “rioting” in the streets twice a year due to Daylight Saving Time. Once in the spring when the bars closed an hour early and then again in the fall when they stayed open an hour longer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Daylight savings. Just make daylight savings permanent and let’s move on from this shit.

I live a five iron away from Mountain Time Zone. I don’t relish the thought of a 9 am sunrise during the winter. I also like 9:30 pm sunsets during the summer. Our vacation home is in the eastern part of Mountain Time, so its dark before 5 pm during the winter and light by 5 am during the summer. That early winter darkness is not my favorite thing, but I’d rather not have it getting light at 4 am during the summer, either. I’m fine with the minor inconvenience of adjusting my clocks twice a year. 

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I live a five iron away from Mountain Time Zone. I don’t relish the thought of a 9 am sunrise during the winter. I also like 9:30 pm sunsets during the summer. Our vacation home is in the eastern part of Mountain Time, so its dark before 5 pm during the winter and light by 5 am during the summer. That early winter darkness is not my favorite thing, but I’d rather not have it getting light at 4 am during the summer, either. I’m fine with the minor inconvenience of adjusting my clocks twice a year. 

This is such a dumb solution to a simple problem. Rather than enforcing a local warp of a universal measurement of a fundamental property of the universe, just adjust your schedule to sit your needs.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

This is such a dumb solution to a simple problem. Rather than enforcing a local warp of a universal measurement of a fundamental property of the universe, just adjust your schedule to sit your needs.

I never said I’m incapable of adjusting my schedule. I just said I’d rather adjust my clock so I can enjoy the best of both. Maybe we can convince the entire world to split the difference next time around.

CNN actually had a good article once (No CR) about the reasons why there is no clear consensus in favor of either Daylight Savings or Standard. It helped change me from being on Team DS to the Team Stay As Is.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Can you imagine if a meter were a meter everywhere except between Dallas and Santa Fe where it was actually only a yard but they called it a meter? That's what's happening everytime you jump the clocks around. It's fundamentally stupid.

3 inches is 3 inches, except on the internet, where it is 7 inches.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Where are they putting all of the daylight they are saving?

Into NFT's.  I launched a daylight crypto here at SXSW yesterday.  

I'm only half-kidding.  I listened to a panel from this company looking for growth equity money, they can now track an individual cell as it moves around your body, or is harmed, or is turned cancerous, etc.  It was over my head but the applications are beyond fascinating and world-changing.  Then right after that, a panel about how pro athletes who get drafted will sell NFT's in their own name with the 'guarantee' that they pay out on them after they re-up their contract a few years later with free agency/endorsements/etc.  I'm sure somebody in that space will make a billion dollars, but it was just bizarre to hear that shit on the same stage as a humble bio-engineer who has figured out a way to track cells that may be vulnerable to cancer.  That makes me surly.  I get it, digital coins are fucking cool.  But holy shit, I can't maintain eye contact for one more fucking conversation about it.  

14 hours ago, Llogg said:

Can you imagine if a meter were a meter everywhere except between Dallas and Santa Fe where it was actually only a yard but they called it a meter? That's what's happening everytime you jump the clocks around. It's fundamentally stupid.

People worried about clock changes need some real fucking problems in life, or their little Karen asses would STFU about said grievances.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, HRSchenker said:

Okay this post is a perfect place for me to rant about COVID tests (also promise this isn't CR). We've been doing them for a few weeks for foreign travelers and cruise ships. I'm ready to stop because the amount of backlash I'm getting is ridiculous. Our old form used to be like an a la carte where we would check which test was given (rapid or PCR) and whether you were positive or negative. One patient said the airline wouldn't accept their negative PCR test because it had the word "rapid" on the form. I'm looking at the form and the only place "rapid" appears is for the rapid test. But they didn't get a rapid test, they got the PCR and it doesn't say rapid anywhere. They put me on the phone with the airline rep who says the same shit and I almost lose it. "Do you see where the PCR test is selected? It doesn't say rapid.". "But it says rapid on this other test". "They didn't take that test, it's not checked off. The PCR test is checked off and it says negative."

We make a new form where it's only PCR and only rapid. Cruise ship in Galveston won't accept it. Why? Because I signed the form. The cruise line says my signature has to be printed on the form. So instead of having a professional looking form with a wet to paper signature from a health care provider, it's now typed on the form. It looks so fucking fake but it's the only way they'll accept it.

Oh it gets even better. Saturday I get a call from a patient who isn't being let on a cruise ship by a different company because I didn't put the time the test was performed on the form. They require a negative test within 72 hours of arrival. Can you guess when we did the test? It was Friday. The day before. So it doesn't matter whether I did the test at 12:01am or 11:59pm on Friday, it's within 72 hours of arrival. But that's not good enough for this company. What. The. Fuck.

A Supposedly Fun Post I Will Never Read Again 

I feel like I'm the only person ambivalent to changing the clocks.  I like the extra hour of sleep in the fall because we're usually in the middle of harvest and any extra hour of sleep is welcome.  I rarely notice the lost hour in the spring because when I'm not working 18 hours a day, I get up early - especially on the weekends.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

People worried about clock changes need some real fucking problems in life, or their little Karen asses would STFU about said grievances.

oh slorchie, your problems are so much more important, i'm so sorry for dragging my trivial complaints before you. **checks thread title** Wait, actually, go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

oh slorchie, your problems are so much more important, i'm so sorry for dragging my trivial complaints before you. **checks thread title** Wait, actually, go fuck yourself.

Agreed, it is trivial.  Sure as fuck takes up a lot more bandwidth in everyday discussions than should be warranted.

Adult Male, "I fly from Texas to the Bay Area, Seattle, and Los Angeles for business several times a year.  Got platinum status I fly out there so much.  Know all the tricks of the trade when it comes to air travel.  Fucking timezones mean nothing to me."  

(adult male in early March), "I gotta change my clock one time by one hour?  What the fuck?  Won't anyone think of the children!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

But yeah, when I used to fly all over the world for work, timechanges meant nothing to me...your body just adjusts within 24 hours.  Somehow we can make it through DST.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Adult Male, "I fly from Texas to the Bay Area, Seattle, and Los Angeles for business several times a year.  Got platinum status I fly out there so much.  Know all the tricks of the trade when it comes to air travel.  Fucking timezones mean nothing to me."  

(adult male in early March), "I gotta change my clock one time by one hour?  What the fuck?  Won't anyone think of the children!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

But yeah, when I used to fly all over the world for work, timechanges meant nothing to me...your body just adjusts within 24 hours.  Somehow we can make it through DST.

This is me.  I travel the globe so time changes do not bother me.  As I transition during DST all I have to do is to mentailly be aware of the time.

It really is a pain With little kids though.  Thankfully some years the Sunday change comes during spring break.  But when it’s not, and the autumnal revert, take a full week to recover.  Brutal.  Since having multiple children, I am now of the opinion like I am with the designated hitter.  I get pros and cons for both, just fucking pick one, make it uniform, Apply it everywhere, and get me a beer.  

Now that I’m finally adjusted to the cruelty of DST, I’ll broach another subject that has bothered me for years…

People under 35 who prefer saying “on accident” instead of “by accident.” For generations, it was “on purpose” and “by accident,” but not now. I saw something years ago about a popular children’s show (c. 1990) that used that fucked up language, so that’s where it started. I’m not sure I buy an innocent explanation.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Now that I’m finally adjusted to the cruelty of DST, I’ll broach another subject that has bothered me for years…

People under 35 who prefer saying “on accident” instead of “by accident.” For generations, it was “on purpose” and “by accident,” but not now. I saw something years ago about a popular children’s show (c. 1990) that used that fucked up language, so that’s where it started. I’m not sure I buy an innocent explanation.

Do you stand in line or on line? If you insert yourself into the line (or “queue” for the Brits) before the end, do you call it cutting, jumping, or budging?

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Seems pretty trivial doesn’t it? Probably should have a thread for that shit.

Indeed, yet my trivial surality is some offense to mankind.

10 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I know you know it's not a word but if surality were a word it would mean something to do with the calf or lower leg, perhaps you meant surlitude?

Surlividity

This applies to a lot of places on-line (Reddit is terrible) but reposts piss me off something fierce.   Something will literally be 2 or 3 posts back and some dimwitted jackhole puts it up again.   And the worst is when it's gif from 6 months or more back and some times years back.   Really, dipshit, you didn't think that we hadn't already seen the chick falling out of the barrel while stomping grapes?   

Round toilet seats. We’re staying in a condo this week and both bathrooms have a round toilet seat. Who likes these things? You feel like you’re perched on a fence pole. You have to tuck your junk every time you sit down. You scrap your junk on the seat every time you stand up. These things suck.

Team oblong all fucking day.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2022 at 1:26 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

One of my least favorite parts of living in Denver was the period of 5:30am sunrises.  Holy hell, turn that bitch off, I'm sleeping. 

14 hours ago, deadshank said:

The stupid bastard in my neighborhood that jogs in blue jeans.  

What a clown. 

There's a guy in my area who shows up for every 5K in a 60 mile radius in his blue jeans.

He's a 60 year old bachelor that probably has some form of undiagnosed autism.  When one of my friends sold his farm and moved into town, this guy bought the place and refused to use my buddy's old bedroom because my friend and his wife "had relations" in there.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I love taking the dog out to piss when I wake up in the summer and seeing the sun coming up.  But I'm a morning person.

There's just something unseemly about the sun blazing at 5:30am when you're waking up with a hangover. 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's just something unseemly about the sun blazing at 5:30am when you're waking up with a hangover. 

Yeah, even if I have a hangover I can't really sleep in, and my method of dealing with one is usually to just sweat it out ASAP.  So not a problem for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who was the poster at TOS that was in the Navy and told the tale about the Captain turning the ship because the sun coming through a porthole in the officers’ mess was hitting him in the face while he was nursing a hangover?

• Haha 1

Yeah, I remember that story.  Sent it to my Navy vet uncle and he was completely unsurprised by it.  Who was that?   

I was always a “night owl”. Think better, see better, feel better.  But since covid, I get up at 4:30 or so.   So whatever that means for daylight, I guess I’m a “morning person”.  But I’m not.  As long as the kids sleep until 6:30/6:45 on the clock, regardless of what the sun does…I’m cool.  Morning sex with wife is one of the few remaining pleasures in life.  At night, particularly if we have to wait until 10pm for total darkness, she wants “connection” and back rubs ‘n shit like we’re at a church retreat.  If it’s still dark out in the early morning and kids are still asleep, she will just bang out a quickie with all the gusto I can handle.  

what are we talking about again?

On 3/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, ztejas said:

I drove over a trash bag last night. Before I realized what had happened and was able to yank it out from under my car - a large part of the bag had melted to the underside of my car. It now smells like burning plastic any time I run the air. 

I guess I'm going to have to see if a neighbor has a jack that I can use to get under there and scrape the shit off. I don't even know how easily I can clean it off. 

Honestly this barely qualifies as trivial. It's a huge pain in my ass. 

So you’re saying a plastic bag melded onto your catalytic converter?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1