Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

The coordinated effort by the NCAA and media partners to try to trick you into accidentally tuning into a woman’s game or Opening an article to read. 

The TV guide was changed to remove men/women from the description. Both listed simultaneously as “1st 4” ESPN has done the same on their print articles. You may get a few extra clicks and false DVR recordings to brag about, but this isn’t “growing” the sport/audience. 

The most obvious path for success for woman’s sports to to get women to actually care about it and actually consume/watch it. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Shit! I meant to make red beans & rice today but I forgot to soak my beans last night. Oh well, I guess it’s a traditional Monday dish anyway. But that bell pepper isn’t getting any younger. It’s starting to show a little wrinkle. And no, I’m not the sort to try to rush things with a pressure cooker. Those beans are going to get a good long soak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The coordinated effort by the NCAA and media partners to try to trick you into accidentally tuning into a woman’s game or Opening an article to read. 

The TV guide was changed to remove men/women from the description. Both listed simultaneously as “1st 4” ESPN has done the same on their print articles. You may get a few extra clicks and false DVR recordings to brag about, but this isn’t “growing” the sport/audience. 

The most obvious path for success for woman’s sports to to get women to actually care about it and actually consume/watch it. 

This happened to me on YouTube tv last week. And the stupid Allstate commercial—40% of NCAA athletes are women and they receive 10% of the coverage. Yes, because no one wants to watch inferior athletes play the same game. They’ve been shoving this stuff down our throats for decades and we still don’t care. And we never will. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:20 PM, slorch said:

Walk up to counter at oil change place that closes at 7PM.  It is 6:22PM with nobody in line and nobody in the bays.

"Can I get an oil change?"

"It's getting close to closing..."

" Well, i know it's 7 and nobody is ahead of me."

" The guys are cleaning the bays"

"Do you close at 7 or 6?  All I need is an answer, yes or no."

" We'll do it."

Beard of Zeus.  Sorry to impose on you, motherfucker...  Then when I check out, it's like the toughest ordeal of their day.

I know the owner.  Debating whether to write it off as a bad day for his crew or let him know they were surly AF...  I didn't say shit about knowing him during the exchange because that is bullshit, IMHO.

Oh I would for sure let him know. 40 minutes before close? That's some bullshit. The older I get the less patience I have for people that decide it's okay to either not do their job or do a shitty job of it when it's immediately obvious that's what they're doing. 

Case in point - grabbing a burger the other night. Ask for it the way it comes plus grilled onions and pickles (super standard order I make all the time). Have it repeated back "cheeseburger add onions and pickles". I gently correct her "grilled onions". This is acknowledged. 

Get to the window, get my receipt.

ADD

PICKLES

ONIONS

Motherfucker. 

Now, it's super busy, I'm hungry, I don't feel like making an issue about it because then I'M waiting longer and also making multiple different people's jobs more difficult - but, you know what's easier than that? You taking 5 fucking seconds to fix it after I told you to fix it. Or, if you don't know how to fix it, asking someone to then learn how to do your fucking job. Not choosing not to fix it because you figure it isn't your problem and you'll get away with it anyway. 

I know you're paid well for what you do. They plainly advertise it on the door. I also used to work there in high school - and let me tell you sister, it's super fucking easy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Oh I would for sure let him know. 40 minutes before close? That's some bullshit. The older I get the less patience I have for people that decide it's okay to either not do their job or do a shitty job of it when it's immediately obvious that's what they're doing. 

Case in point - grabbing a burger the other night. Ask for it the way it comes plus grilled onions and pickles (super standard order I make all the time). Have it repeated back "cheeseburger add onions and pickles". I gently correct her "grilled onions". This is acknowledged. 

Get to the window, get my receipt.

ADD

PICKLES

ONIONS

Motherfucker. 

Now, it's super busy, I'm hungry, I don't feel like making an issue about it because then I'M waiting longer and also making multiple different people's jobs more difficult - but, you know what's easier than that? You taking 5 fucking seconds to fix it after I told you to fix it. Or, if you don't know how to fix it, asking someone to then learn how to do your fucking job. Not choosing not to fix it because you figure it isn't your problem and you'll get away with it anyway. 

I know you're paid well for what you do. They plainly advertise it on the door. I also used to work there in high school - and let me tell you sister, it's super fucking easy.

Would have been better if they left the onions off altogether. Devil’s weed, as far as I’m concerned. 

On 3/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Shit! I meant to make red beans & rice today but I forgot to soak my beans last night. Oh well, I guess it’s a traditional Monday dish anyway. But that bell pepper isn’t getting any younger. It’s starting to show a little wrinkle. And no, I’m not the sort to try to rush things with a pressure cooker. Those beans are going to get a good long soak. 

Only fucking rookies need to soak their bean

someone decided to use fedex to ship a package to my po box.  obviously, fedex doesn't do that.  yesterday fedex called and left a message to have me update the address.  i call and get it updated.  or so i think.  later, i get another call from fedex, update the address again, and i was told it would be delivered today. 

today rolls around and it wasn't delivered.  5 minutes ago i get a call from fedex, get the explanation that they can't deliver to a po box, and ask for a street address.  again.  so i give that, hang up, and barely get back to my podcast before i get another call from fedex.  after i rant a bit about fred smith must have needed to go if fedex can't get an address straightened out, the guy says it'll be delivered tomorrow, to an address down the street and the wrong suite number. 

🤬

Edited by elfenix

The phrase, "All the Things" being used in emails or meetings as a passive-aggressive victim status.  Fuck you.  Name the things and delegate.  This isn't kindergarten.

Meetings that do not start on time and do not end on time.

Abbreviations that should be obvious but aren't.  Fuck you if I have to google your lazy typing.

I need to fire some fucksticks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tigol said:

Well, I was in a meeting the other day and we were going over assignments. On person felt (I assume) singled out and said”So, I’m responsible for…..All the Things.” Cringeworthy at the time.

This is cringe and he or she needs a talking to about not using internet language in real life.

That said, I find that when people talk about their assignments or responsibilities in meetings, the more they explain the less they do. 

Makes me surly: Standing meetings with no forward looking agenda they are just a chance for people to talk about what they did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, elfenix said:

someone decided to use fedex to ship a package to my po box.  obviously, fedex doesn't do that.  yesterday fedex called and left a message to have me update the address.  i call and get it updated.  or so i think.  later, i get another call from fedex, update the address again, and i was told it would be delivered today. 

today rolls around and it wasn't delivered.  5 minutes ago i get a call from fedex, get the explanation that they can't deliver to a po box, and ask for a street address.  again.  so i give that, hang up, and barely get back to my podcast before i get another call from fedex.  after i rant a bit about fred smith must have needed to go if fedex can't get an address straightened out, the guy says it'll be delivered tomorrow, to an address down the street and the wrong suite number. 

🤬

Had to replace a part on my TV so ordered it online. Got Fedex notification that it had been delivered.

Me: Got home from work and asked wife (no pics) where the delivered part was?

Wife: Nothing delivered today

Me: Are you sure? I have a delivery notification

Wife: I'm sure, I was working in the flower bed out front all day.

Called Fedex and told them they must have delivered to the wrong house. They took my info (address, home color, etc..) and said they would investigate.

I called the next day and they told me to file a claim for lost package and it would take 2-3 weeks to process.

The very next fucking day I received an email from them saying "Claim Denied"

Now I scream "FUCK YOU" to every Fedex driver that comes through my neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

22 minutes ago, elfenix said:

update: fedex finally delivered my stuff to me.  but they printed a second label and slapped that on something that wasn't mine and delivered that to me as well.  and it isn't even something cool, just a deposition transcript. 

Post it. Anything about treefiddy? peeing in butts?

• Haha 1

1.  People who wait for a parking spot while someone else loads their car when there is a free spot 3-4 spots back.   

2.   People who  think that a meeting "has to" last the length of time it was booked for.  Motherfucker, if we finish in 18 minutes but it was scheduled for 30, we don't have to discuss other issues not related to this,  jibner jabber just to kill time or try and link other tasks not even remotely connected to the original meeting to it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1.  People who wait for a parking spot while someone else loads their car when there is a free spot 3-4 spots back.   
2.   People who  think that a meeting "has to" last the length of time it was booked for.  Motherfucker, if we finish in 18 minutes but it was scheduled for 30, we don't have to discuss other issues not related to this,  jibner jabber just to kill time or try and link other tasks not even remotely connected to the original meeting to it.  

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Rage inducing and it happens all the fucking time.

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

My wife has always been obsessed with taking irrational measures to get the closest possible parking spot, and it's always annoyed me.

2 weeks ago, her dad is riding with me on our way to dinner, and I park about 100' from the front door of the restaurant, in the first available spot I come to because it's 100' and we're both able bodied adults.  He complains that there's a spot closer to the door (which I know is a handicapped spot).  He argues about it as we walk to the door until he sees it's a handicapped spot.

So at least I figured out where it comes from.

On the second part, while I have no experience with corporate America, I'm on the local volunteer FD and there are certain classes all first responders are required to take on an annual basis.  The Haz-Mat class in particular is supposed to be 4 hours, but depending on the instructor I've seen it done in 1.5 hours.  It completely comes down to how big of a hard on (and as you can imagine, volunteer EMS/first responder ranks are FULL of wannabe badasses) the instructor is.  Some folks get that people's time is valuable, and some people like to hear themselves talk.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

14 hours ago, Macanudo said:

People who  think that a meeting "has to" last the length of time it was booked for.  Motherfucker, if we finish in 18 minutes but it was scheduled for 30, we don't have to discuss other issues not related to this,  jibner jabber just to kill time or try and link other tasks not even remotely connected to the original meeting to it.  

This. There's a difference between having something to say and 'having to say something'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

On the second part, while I have no experience with corporate America, I'm on the local volunteer FD and there are certain classes all first responders are required to take on an annual basis.  The Haz-Mat class in particular is supposed to be 4 hours, but depending on the instructor I've seen it done in 1.5 hours.  It completely comes down to how big of a hard on (and as you can imagine, volunteer EMS/first responder ranks are FULL of wannabe badasses) the instructor is.  Some folks get that people's time is valuable, and some people like to hear themselves talk.

We had a CPR class last week. It took the instructor 4 hours to teach the class - use both hands to compressive their chest. The rhythm should follow the beat of the BeeGee classic "Staying Alive".

FWIW, "Another One Bites The Dust" has an almost identical beat.

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

This. There's a difference between having something to say and 'having to say something'.

My boss' go-to is "I'm going to give you your time back" 

The time you stole from me scheduling 30 minutes for a 10 minute meeting. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Superhero said:

We had a CPR class last week. It took the instructor 4 hours to teach the class - use both hands to compressive their chest. The rhythm should follow the beat of the BeeGee classic "Staying Alive".

FWIW, "Another One Bites The Dust" has an almost identical beat.

4 hours for CPR?  We usually get the entire department recertified on that in like 1.5 hours.  Talking 25-30 people here.

I feel your pain.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

4 hours for CPR?  We usually get the entire department recertified on that in like 1.5 hours.  Talking 25-30 people here.

I feel your pain.

I skipped the class since I've been certified before (just not within the past 2 years). But like you mentioned, the class can be a lot shorter.

trivial time thing that makes me surly...conference or panel where somebody says, "Okay, we're gonna go ahead and get started."  We're not at a junior high assembly, approach the microphone and say, "Good Morning/Afternoon."  Then say your name/role and start the presentation.  If people are still talking or standing around, fuck 'em.  Command the room.  Not this, "Okay, we're gonna go ahead and get started.  If you take your seats please.  We're going ahead with the start.  Thanks, if you could just...okay, I can wait."  You're not a vice principal at my high school.  Just start talking and the "adults" in the room can get fucked. 

Trivial thing that makes me happy...conference or panel where somebody says, "I don't want to get between you and a free drink so I'll end there...on time."  

18 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I just had a LonestarMan flashback. I wonder whatever happened to him. Kinda miss his music takes.

33 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the misnumbering of interstate 69. 

Bill & Ted: 10 Funniest Lines From The Movies, Ranked

No good?  It'll eventually be a North/South Interstate (mainly), so an odd number is correct.  It doesn't make much sense here in texas becuase it's so much farther west than interstates in the 50's and lower 60's.  But if it's eventual terminus in SE Michigan, it'll be about right in terms of numbering. 

What should make us Surly is the nation's 4th and 11th largest cities are so close together, not served by an interstate highway, and the nearest one from Austin to get to Houston is still 90 miles away.  But I think Army futures Command is gonna have a word or two on that soon.  

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It doesn't make much sense here in texas becuase it's so much farther west than interstates in the 50's and lower 60's.  But if it's eventual terminus in SE Michigan, it'll be about right in terms of numbering. 

numbering starts in the south and west, as opposed to the older US highway numbering which starts in the north and east, so it should be 37, 39, 41, or 43.  37 is extant, but they should have foreseen that there would be a proper interstate in south texas so it should have been 41 or 43.

Yeah, I still don't know how they're gonna "marry" 69 and 37 (insert no "69" joke after marriage here).  But yes, usually it starts NE and goes SW, opposite of a tornado.  But over time, as we built so many more...I think if they can either stick the landing on numbering at either of the terminuses/termini...they go with that.  They should have foreseen growth in South Texas, particularly after NAFTA and trucking and refineries...but fuck me...look at Texas interstate funding.  I know we have all these "Champions of Texas" fighting for us in D.C. all these last 30 years...but they ain't doing shit in terms of transportation.  We'll have fucking teleportation before we get that high-speed rail.  

Houston's system finally makes some sense.  You got 4 interstate highways there.  7 interstates in the Metroplex.  4 in San Antonio.  And then one in Austin, the main South to North corridor for a huge swatch of the country for hundreds of miles in either direction.  And not only that, it's a piece of shit designed to segregate and maim.  And then this hodge-podge collection of spur interstates that are largely superfluous around secondary markets in the state.  Makes me surly.  I know growth and transportation corridors can be hard to predict.  But Austin's been growing like this for 25 years.  And the freight hauls to/from South Texas have been going up YOY for 35 years. /surlyrant

On 4/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fuck people in shitty ass pickups with paper plates driving on the freeway loaded up with crap they picked from people’s garbage with nothing securing their mountain of trash.

BE6BEC8D-3C65-4ADD-983C-25905E91F68B.thumb.jpeg.a01fcc8c9411e2220d9cf2d3828b5060.jpeg

Them and the Mexican caravans of vehicles "een toe" that constantly screw up traffic on US-59 every week. Go to the auction, buy junk, and tie it back Mexico with even bigger junk at 35 mph.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I still don't know how they're gonna "marry" 69 and 37 (insert no "69" joke after marriage here).  But yes, usually it starts NE and goes SW, opposite of a tornado.  But over time, as we built so many more...I think if they can either stick the landing on numbering at either of the terminuses/termini...they go with that.  They should have foreseen growth in South Texas, particularly after NAFTA and trucking and refineries...but fuck me...look at Texas interstate funding.  I know we have all these "Champions of Texas" fighting for us in D.C. all these last 30 years...but they ain't doing shit in terms of transportation.  We'll have fucking teleportation before we get that high-speed rail.  

Houston's system finally makes some sense.  You got 4 interstate highways there.  7 interstates in the Metroplex.  4 in San Antonio.  And then one in Austin, the main South to North corridor for a huge swatch of the country for hundreds of miles in either direction.  And not only that, it's a piece of shit designed to segregate and maim.  And then this hodge-podge collection of spur interstates that are largely superfluous around secondary markets in the state.  Makes me surly.  I know growth and transportation corridors can be hard to predict.  But Austin's been growing like this for 25 years.  And the freight hauls to/from South Texas have been going up YOY for 35 years. /surlyrant

austin not having a proper non-tolled interstate grade loop is one of the dumbest things in this state. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Most likely not trivial but holed up in the guest room at Jr’s house feeling like shit.  Trying to keep my distance from everyone and the 2yo grand-baby, thinking it’s just allergies but have done 3 rapid tests so far, all negative. 

I had C19 in Europe 3 weeks ago. Because of the event I was attending, I had to have one or two antigen tests every day. After I started feeling rough, I had a total of 7 negative antigen tests before the PCR test came back positive. The next day, and for 10 days thereafter, the antigen tests were also positive. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 7:20 PM, slorch said:

Walk up to counter at oil change place that closes at 7PM.  It is 6:22PM with nobody in line and nobody in the bays.

"Can I get an oil change?"

"It's getting close to closing..."

" Well, i know it's 7 and nobody is ahead of me."

" The guys are cleaning the bays"

"Do you close at 7 or 6?  All I need is an answer, yes or no."

" We'll do it."

Beard of Zeus.  Sorry to impose on you, motherfucker...  Then when I check out, it's like the toughest ordeal of their day.

I know the owner.  Debating whether to write it off as a bad day for his crew or let him know they were surly AF...  I didn't say shit about knowing him during the exchange because that is bullshit, IMHO.

Next time just get your husband to change the oil.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Next time just get your husband to change the oil.

LMAO. Pretty sure growing up on a farm, doing maintenance on all varieties of equipment and machinery; serving as a light vehicle mechanic in the Marine Corps  gives  me a decent foundation from which to work on the task at hand.

It's a fucking oil change, not climbing Everest.  Plenty capable, but more willing to pay someone else to do it.

The point of contention was the displayed hours of availability for said service versus what was being conveyed.