Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

9 minutes ago, Superhero said:

So you’re saying a plastic bag melded onto your catalytic converter?

Yep I think that's exactly what happened. And it was a large, black trash bag. 

Fortunately at this point the odor has basically dissipated.

My friends who BEGGED the soccer coaches so their son can play on the same team as my son.

At the “evaluation” practice (where they evaluate the kids, and split them evenly into teams so none are dominant), my boy scored 4 goals. Their kid spent the first 10 minutes kicking towards his own goal even though the coach kept yelling at him to go the other way. 

🤬

They said their son would “enjoy”’ soccer more if he played with mine. My kid takes soccer pretty seriously. The other boy has ADHD and a mom that gives him cookies before practice. FML. 

Edited by Superhero
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

My friends who BEGGED the soccer coaches so their son can play on the same team as my son.

At the “evaluation” practice (where they evaluate the kids, and split them evenly into teams so none are dominant), my boy scored 4 goals. Their kid spent the first 10 minutes kicking towards his own goal even though the coach kept yelling at him to go the other way. 

🤬

They said their son would “enjoy”’ soccer more if he played with mine. My kid takes soccer pretty seriously. The other boy has ADHD and a mom that gives him cookies before practice. FML. 

I bet the ADHD kid’s feet don’t stink, though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 3/15/2022 at 7:49 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

A Supposedly Fun Post I Will Never Read Again 

Good DFW reference, BTW.  FTW.  And other three-letter things...of that nature.

The asshole in front of me at Luby’s.  Cocksucker reaches over the glass sneeze guard with his grubby paw to point out which piece of chicken, which vegetables and dinner roll he wants.  He didn’t  just kind of reach over, he got his booger hooks over and within an inch of each item and his smelly armpit was rubbing on the top of the sneeze guard.  

I was appalled.  What a jackass. 

• Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

The asshole in front of me at Luby’s.  Cocksucker reaches over the glass sneeze guard with his grubby paw to point out which piece of chicken, which vegetables and dinner roll he wants.  He didn’t  just kind of reach over, he got his booger hooks over and within an inch of each item and his smelly armpit was rubbing on the top of the sneeze guard.  

The appalling part is the employee who doesn't say anything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, deadshank said:

I’ve probably mentioned this before. Once at the Indian buffet some dad let his shitty little son serve himself. The buffet was two pans deep and there was some saucy dish behind the pan of kebabs. Shitty kid proceeds to spill sauce on the kebabs as he’s trying to serve himself. And what does dad do? He selects the clean kebabs from the pan for himself, not the ones his little brat sullied with sauce. To this day I regret not making a scene and calling him out for that shit. 

• Rage+1 2

On 3/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, deadshank said:

You should move.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Opossums.  One penetrated the home.  Long day.

Really? I’d think they’d be easy to remove while they’re playing dead. I hope you got the critter out safely.

A friend of mine once sent me a photo of a mother possum (do we still use the ‘o’?) in his backyard with a litter of pups clinging onto her back. I thought that was pretty cool. 

28 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Really? I’d think they’d be easy to remove while they’re playing dead. I hope you got the critter out safely.

A friend of mine once sent me a photo of a mother possum (do we still use the ‘o’?) in his backyard with a litter of pups clinging onto her back. I thought that was pretty cool. 

Critter was released safely by a creek near the house.  The long day was: 1) repairing the hole it had gnawed in the soffit where a cable wire enters the house where a small gap gave it a nice starting point, and 2) convincing the wife, who was the first to encounter the creature while she was using the bathroom, that the house is now possum-free.  There are some sounds that will stick with you for the rest of your life.  I really just wanted to watch basketball all day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Critter was released safely by a creek near the house.  The long day was: 1) repairing the hole it had gnawed in the soffit where a cable wire enters the house where a small gap gave it a nice starting point, and 2) convincing the wife, who was the first to encounter the creature while she was using the bathroom, that the house is now possum-free.  There are some sounds that will stick with you for the rest of your life.  I really just wanted to watch basketball all day.

I’m picturing your wife sitting on the can when a possum walks in and her saying, “Whoa, possum!” which is a line in the psychedelic rockabilly Phish song Possum. It’s a great song. As I listen to it I can imagine it being the soundtrack to you chasing the possum all around your house. But I can also understand why many people aren’t turned on by the sometimes overly self-indulgence of jam bands. And I figured maybe I shouldn’t post it at all. But then I figured, what the fuck. (The inspiration for my username when I first decided to join this community). You don’t have to listen. And many probably shouldn’t. But I’ll post two examples so anyone who’s interested can hear how wildly different the same song can be played. That’s the jazz influence on jam bands. The psychedelic influence is something else. (Also, early Phish is best Phish. They peaked in the 90’s.) Please forgive my impertinence.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m picturing your wife sitting on the can when a possum walks in and her saying, “Whoa, possum!” which is a line in the psychedelic rockabilly Phish song Possum. It’s a great song. As I listen to it I can imagine it being the soundtrack to you chasing the possum all around your house. But I can also understand why many people aren’t turned on by the sometimes overly self-indulgence of jam bands. And I figured maybe I shouldn’t post it at all. But then I figured, what the fuck. (The inspiration for my username when I first decided to join this community). You don’t have to listen. And many probably shouldn’t. But I’ll post two examples so anyone who’s interested can hear how wildly different the same song can be played. That’s the jazz influence on jam bands. The psychedelic influence is something else. (Also, early Phish is best Phish. They peaked in the 90’s.) Please forgive my impertinence.

Of course you're a Phish fan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Of course you're a Phish fan.

I was. I have the unique experience of seeing them perform both the best concert and the worst concert I’ve ever seen. The “best” could be arguable. The “worst” couldn’t. I haven’t seen them since Coventry 2004 and what I’ve heard from them since then hasn’t inspired me to go see them again. I’ve purged a lot of their recordings from my collection. But I still have a box full of discs that I haven’t parted with. I could go on but you’re too shallow to get it. I don’t like what Phish plays now. But I’ll bet the music you like sucks. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I was. I have the unique experience of seeing them perform both the best concert and the worst concert I’ve ever seen. The “best” could be arguable. The “worst” couldn’t. I haven’t seen them since Coventry 2004 and what I’ve heard from them since then hasn’t inspired me to go see them again. I’ve purged a lot of their recordings from my collection. But I still have a box full of discs that I haven’t parted with. I could go on but you’re too shallow to get it. I don’t like what Phish plays now. But I’ll bet the music you like sucks. 

Please keep making the point more obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I gave Phish a try in the late 80s/early 90s.  I'm not nearly enough of a self-indulgent navel gazer to appreciate them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nnm said:

I gave Phish a try in the late 80s/early 90s.  I'm not nearly enough of a self-indulgent navel gazer to appreciate them.

They’re definitely not for everybody, and, like I said, they peaked in the 90’s. They weren’t as good as the Grateful Dead but they did their own thing and had a unique approach. And many of their musical influences were the same as my own, like the Dead and the Beatles and Zappa and Boston and King Crimson and Led Zeppelin and The Who and the Talking Heads and, by 1997, Miles Davis. If you’re not comfortable with jam bands of any kind then you wouldn’t get it. If you can’t appreciate a cover of Pink Floyd’s The Great Gig in the Sky with the female vocal part being played by the drummer holding the head of a vacuum cleaner to his mouth then you really wouldn’t get it. I’ve made the comparison before that the Dead were like Picasso while Phish was more like Shel Silverstein.

Also, if not for Phish, there might not be Bonnaroo. Phish pioneered a new model of holding a rock festival. The Clifford Ball at the decommissioned Plattsburgh Air Force Base in upstate New York in 1996 was revolutionary and the folks who produced Bonnaroo copied that model. That model has spread around the country.

Don’t get me wrong. I think Phish sucks now and Trey lost his chops long ago. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t a time where they were a good place to drop acid and go see their show. New Year’s Eve 1995 at Madison Square Garden was as good of a show as I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen hundreds. If you can’t appreciate this then Phish just isn’t for you. And that’s no big deal. (This was unfinished but that was as good as it gets.) Can you hear the Zappa influence? (I’m not asking you, Llogg, of course you can’t.)

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They’re definitely not for everybody, and, like I said, they peaked in the 90’s. They weren’t as good as the Grateful Dead but they did their own thing and had a unique approach. And many of their musical influences were the same as my own, like the Dead and the Beatles and Zappa and Boston and King Crimson and Led Zeppelin and The Who and the Talking Heads and, by 1997, Miles Davis. If you’re not comfortable with jam bands of any kind then you wouldn’t get it. If you can’t appreciate a cover of Pink Floyd’s The Great Gig in the Sky with the female vocal part being played by the drummer holding the head of a vacuum cleaner to his mouth then you really wouldn’t get it. I’ve made the comparison before that the Dead were like Picasso while Phish was more like Shel Silverstein.

Also, if not for Phish, there might not be Bonnaroo. Phish pioneered a new model of holding a rock festival. The Clifford Ball at the decommissioned Plattsburgh Air Force Base in upstate New York in 1996 was revolutionary and the folks who produced Bonnaroo copied that model. That model has spread around the country.

Don’t get me wrong. I think Phish sucks now and Trey lost his chops long ago. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t a time where they were a good place to drop acid and go see their show. New Year’s Eve 1995 at Madison Square Garden was as good of a show as I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen hundreds. If you can’t appreciate this then Phish just isn’t for you. And that’s no big deal. (This was unfinished but that was as good as it gets.) Can you hear the Zappa influence? (I’m not asking you, Llogg, of course you can’t.)

A Man Of Few Words - Doug Husen - Business mind, Pastors Heart | Corona District 4

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t really care about Phish.  What I do care about is you diverting the thread immediately after my possum story.  That makes me a little surly.  I had more material, but the moment has passed.

Who’s stopping you from continuing with your possum story? Not me. I don’t know why you didn’t tell us the whole story in the first place. That’s not my fault. That’s on you. 

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who’s stopping you from continuing with your possum story? Not me. I don’t know why you didn’t tell us the whole story in the first place. That’s not my fault. That’s on you. 

I’ll put the full possum story together when I have some time.  It involves a painful childhood incident with a possum, a really freaked out wife, and a milf walking with a stroller who thought I was endangering her kids.  I took no offense btw.