Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

People who loudly discuss their investment portfolios in airports should be beaten with a bag of oranges. 

It's obviously a HIPAA violation! 

As for the people who sprinkle in "yeah" and "right" in a story, I'll take any day over grown adults using the word "Like" three times in a single sentence, and never in the correct manner.  If people could hear themselves speaking in public...my god.

Wife has been planning to visit her family in Louisiana and let me have the house to myself for the weekend for over 2 months now and it still hasn't happened.

3 different Fridays, including today, have started off with me thinking I'm coming home after work to an evening of beer, video games, and glorious solitude, only to be informed either one of my in-laws tested positive for COVID or my nephew brought a bug home from pre-school and is making everyone else sick. She just started a new job about a month ago, is busy as hell and fully in "I CAN NOT AFFORD TO GET SICK RIGHT NOW" mode.

This weekend's trip has now been rescheduled to next weekend (when I'll be out of town and not here to enjoy it, and we'll have to board our dogs since no one will be home). 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The World Book Encyclopedia Complete 22 Volume Set: World Book:  9780716600855: Amazon.com: Books

My Mom bought a set of 1962 World Book and had the yearly update for several years. Would kill to get my hands on them now. One thin g that stood out to me was highlighting Great Southwest International as the world's most modern jet airport. 10 years or so later it wouldn't even exist.

Roadside memorials that are perpetual. At first, sure, if it helps you grieve, no problem whatsoever. But years later? Nobody who drives by except your tiny circle of people knows what it's about or anything about the deceased. The one in particular that irks me is at a nearby intersection and apparently that person wasn't even killed in traffic, he was murdered in a house down the street. It was over 5 years ago and every fucking week they add shit. They even graffiti'd a nearby underpass for a few years until I guess someone finally made them stop. And from what I read, this wasn't a well known humanitarian or anything, just some schlub who got hisself shot in a fight. Nobody else cares dude.

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 8:09 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Shall we all argue for a few pages about putting dog poop bags into other people's dumpsters? 

Wait can I get a point of clarification on this? If my dog shits in your yard and it’s trash day and your cans are out, can I bag it and drop it in your can if trash is coming today or will you go inspect your can before they empty it?

I’d never put it in someone’s empty can, but if it’s at the curb for trash day, seems not a big deal 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wait can I get a point of clarification on this? If my dog shits in your yard and it’s trash day and your cans are out, can I bag it and drop it in your can if trash is coming today or will you go inspect your can before they empty it?

I’d never put it in someone’s empty can, but if it’s at the curb for trash day, seems not a big deal 

If you put the poop bag inside a larger vessel (bag, box, tie it to a garbage bag draw string, whatever it takes) then that's acceptable. 

The root of the problem is that poop bags are often small and light enough that they don't get emptied, or they somehow stick to the sides or bottom of the can (often happens when things are wet), meaning that the can owner will have to endure the smell of your dog's rotting poop until it becomes unbearable enough that they eventually have to scrape it free and then take measures to make sure it gets emptied at the next pickup.

So unless you are making absolutely sure that it's getting collected (and it doesn't sound like you have been) then you're a dog poop bandit who should be flung far, far out into the ocean. 

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Perfectly lining up the gooseneck trailer hitch with the ball in my pickup on the first try, and no one’s around to see it. 

Tell me your pickup is 10+ years old without telling me your pickup is 10+ years old.

And I say that as a compliment on all fronts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tell me your pickup is 10+ years old without telling me your pickup is 10+ years old.

And I say that as a compliment on all fronts.

Man who can't back a truck using mirrors is inferior...

Kenny's nailing the gooseneck spot on is extra credit.

Edited by slorch

Neighbors have a lawn crew using those gas powered, backpack style leaf blowers, and they are loud as fuck. I don't know what the hell they are doing  running those things for what seems like an hour now, but this incessant background noise has got me about ready to go Falling-Down-Michael-Douglas on their ass. There has to be a way to make those fucking things less noisy. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Neighbors have a lawn crew using those gas powered, backpack style leaf blowers, and they are loud as fuck. I don't know what the hell they are doing  running those things for what seems like an hour now, but this incessant background noise has got me about ready to go Falling-Down-Michael-Douglas on their ass. There has to be a way to make those fucking things less noisy. 

The 2 stroke ones are always going to be loud AF.

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If you put the poop bag inside a larger vessel (bag, box, tie it to a garbage bag draw string, whatever it takes) then that's acceptable. 

The root of the problem is that poop bags are often small and light enough that they don't get emptied, or they somehow stick to the sides or bottom of the can (often happens when things are wet), meaning that the can owner will have to endure the smell of your dog's rotting poop until it becomes unbearable enough that they eventually have to scrape it free and then take measures to make sure it gets emptied at the next pickup.

So unless you are making absolutely sure that it's getting collected (and it doesn't sound like you have been) then you're a dog poop bandit who should be flung far, far out into the ocean. 

18D06723-3EBA-4FD8-90A6-C6D9BAE3C606.gif.65d9f4ee48c0c0fc211fba34d1038182.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Which genius at Microsoft decided to make Cut (control-c) and Paste (Control-v) be adjoining keys can fuck right off. Can't tell you the number of times I've reached for the "v" and accidentally hit the "c".

Fuck you Bill Gates.

Either learn to type or use the right click on your mouse. You hit the “v” with your index finger and the “c” with your middle finger and you shouldn’t ever hit one accidentally instead of the other. Those are easy. It’s not like using your pinky to hit the “0” or the “-“ keys.

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Which genius at Microsoft decided to make Cut (control-c) and Paste (Control-v) be adjoining keys can fuck right off. Can't tell you the number of times I've reached for the "v" and accidentally hit the "c".

Fuck you Bill Gates.

Was actually engineers at Apple that came up with those keys during Macintosh development. IBM / Microsoft used different keys initially before joining in.

So fuck you Steve Jobs I guess?? (ducks).   I personally find them very handy and single hand ease of use ability was genius.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Either learn to type or use the right click on your mouse. You hit the “v” with your index finger and the “c” with your middle finger and you shouldn’t ever hit one accidentally instead of the other. Those are easy. It’s not like using your pinky to hit the “0” or the “-“ keys.

Fuck you Bill Gates' bitch.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:16 PM, RPM said:

My Mom bought a set of 1962 World Book and had the yearly update for several years. Would kill to get my hands on them now. One thin g that stood out to me was highlighting Great Southwest International as the world's most modern jet airport. 10 years or so later it wouldn't even exist.

Look at estate sales. Lots of encyclopedia's show up there

On 2/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

The best part of the encyclopeida was the human body pages that were clear and had different images so you could flip them over to add muscles, veins, etc.....

spacer.png

Those were cool. I can’t remember which museum in Chicago it was, either the Field Museum or the Museum of Science and Industry, probably the former, but they had human corpses sliced into thin strips and enclosed between panes of glass so you could see the same thing for real. Very interesting but kind of creepy.

When I was about 6 or 7 years old I used to dare myself to touch the closeup pictures of big hairy spiders in the World Book. 

Freakin Achilles tendon. All set for a good run in Cowtown marathon today. Feeling great overall, strong and light. But my Achilles has been nagging me for a couple of months. I ran the little 5k warmup yesterday and the Achilles flared up last night. Got out to he starting line today and knew it was really jacked. Ran 1/2 mile and then just walked off the course. Only my second DNF. 

So now institutions are getting lazy and making you go look up and print out your 1099s. Well fine, I got a couple of bank ones myself but this one out of Canada didn't send their 1099 and I don't know how to get into their shit to even look for it. So fuck you Manulife, I did my taxes without your 10 or 15 dollars earnings after paying Canadian tax. I wanted to get my taxes out of the way so I ain't waiting on your lazy asses to send it in March.

This is my second year Turbo taxing after years of CPA use so I guess I'm gonna get audited for fucking things up even though they are minor dip shitty things. Fuck you assholes that make this whole process harder than it needs to be. 

• Rage+1 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Fuck you Bill Gates.

Cut is ctrl - x.  Copy is ctrl - c.  Maybe that's the problem?

• Hook 'Em 1

People who dont know how, or cant be bothered, to look up primary source. For any topic.

In 2022 you seriously have 5000 years of written history available at your fingertips. Its never been easier. 

“The Geneva convention says you can do xxx and yyy”

”Oh yeah, where?”

*Sends link to blog/huffpo article/facebook screenshot*

25 years ago you’d have to scoot your ass to the library and spend an hour looking this up. Now you can access every word of those documents in 4 seconds. Dont be a dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

increasing order of dumb and annoying kitchen fads in europe:

angled-vents

Kitchen Exhaust Hood 800mm Household Range Hood Stainless Steel Smoke Exhaust  Side suction Kitchen Hood Ventilator|Range Hoods| - AliExpress

pop-up side vents

10 Easy Pieces: Downdraft Range Vents - Remodelista

and worst:  bottom vents

Airone Chopin and Bach downdraft extractors

The pop-up vent is not new, and maybe not of Euro origin.
We recently bought and renovated a 1982 lake house in ETX. The kitchen had a Jennair cooktop in the kitchen island that had a pop-up vent like the one above. Seems like a decent idea because you don’t have the big range hood in the middle of the kitchen. 
Well, it’s a terrible idea. The vent went into a conduit under the kitchen floor, venting out into the flower garden outside the kitchen. Over time, that became a nice superhighway for critters to come in, nest in the island’s nooks and crannies, and colonize the rest of the house. When we tore that island out during the renovation, it was a mess of mice/rats nests, and there were several others in the recesses of the other kitchen cabinets. 
We built a bigger island, put in a new propane cooktop, and a proper overhead range hood. No more critters. 

Certain people in my company who use the word “human” instead of saying “person” like a normal person.

I was in a meeting where the project manager said blah blah human blah blah. I told her that if we’re going to be working together for the next 10 months, then it needs to stop right now.

It stopped the room for a little bit, but she said person instead of human for the rest of the meeting.

Yes I’m old and crotchety, and very likely not up to date with the latest PC, gender neutral, LBGTQ language, but the whole “human” thing needs to be nipped in the bud. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Tell me about the Seattle Team while not telling me it's the Seattle Team.

It wasn't the Seattle team. But fuck them anyway.

I like my counterpart in Seattle and one of the guys who works for them.

But the rest of them can go pound sand.

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

Certain people in my company who use the word “human” instead of saying “person” like a normal person.

I was in a meeting where the project manager said blah blah human blah blah. I told her that if we’re going to be working together for the next 10 months, then it needs to stop right now.

It stopped the room for a little bit, but she said person instead of human for the rest of the meeting.

Yes I’m old and crotchety, and very likely not up to date with the latest PC, gender neutral, LBGTQ language, but the whole “human” thing needs to be nipped in the bud. 

CSB A few years back, we were subs to one of the Big 6 (that's how long ago it was) and their female PM objected to us using phrases like man or men in the documentation.  Neither could we use woman or women, because those words have man or men in them.  I almost took her seriously until she said we couldn't use person either, because there is 'son' in person and that's masculine.  Then I just ignored her.

18 hours ago, Superhero said:

had a meeting today and counterpart said he wanted to implement safety board where each site would keep track of their accident/ injury free days.

I said that process doesn't drive safety culture, but rather encourages folks to not report safety incidents.

Dead silence in the room.

Fuck it.  Y'all know why the fuck y'all favor that shit, and it's wrong.