Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

3 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Ha ha.  My parents still proudly display their World Book Encyclopedias and Childcraft books.

My standard graduation gift for years was a Bible, a dictionary, and a thesaurus. It was always well received and appreciated. 
Until about 10 years ago, when my kids pointed out that a paper dictionary was completely obsolete and a thesaurus was an outright joke these days. Might as well give a 8-track player. 

4 hours ago, nnm said:

My standard graduation gift for years was a Bible, a dictionary, and a thesaurus. It was always well received and appreciated. 
Until about 10 years ago, when my kids pointed out that a paper dictionary was completely obsolete and a thesaurus was an outright joke these days. Might as well give a 8-track player. 

A Bible? And they say a dictionary is obsolete.

I received a dictionary as a gift from a family friend when I graduated high school. That was a great and thoughtful gift. I don’t have it anymore but I kind of regret throwing it away. Sometime the power will go out or the network will be down. And just the other day I was thinking it would be handy to have while trying to solve an 11-letter puzzle in Wordle Unlimited.

You can’t browse an online dictionary to learn new words, at least not from what I’ve seen, not like with a physical dictionary. If you can go to Merriam-Webster and get a link to a list of all the words, please share it. I can’t find it. What if I don’t know a word I’m searching for? What if I want to learn a word I don’t know, a word I didn’t know I don’t know?

Here’s another great gift idea: Give candles. They never go out of style, people often don’t think to have enough of them on hand, and someday the power will go out. When it does you can fire them up and read your dictionary by candlelight. But seriously, candles rule. Not the ones that come in glass containers that seem to be all the rage these days. A big fat waxy pillar and a stand to hold it. Or a nice box of tapers and some candlesticks. Even oil candles and a mirror to set them on. Maybe it’s not the best gift idea for a high school graduate. They might wind up burning down their dorm room or first apartment. But for responsible adults they make a great gift. And they shed real light, unlike a collection of ancient myths collected by Bronze Age tribesmen who didn’t know where the sun went at night. 

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You people will be shit out of luck when the end begins with a few EMP detonations over the USA.  I'll still be able to look shit up.  Like how to trap a rabbit and useful shit like that.  You dummies will be sitting in the corner yelling for Alexa or Siri

I recently moved and was delighted to find my old copy of The Anarchist Cookbook in the attic. I thought I’d lost it. 

Great. Now you can make it painfully obvious that every link you post came from a Google search.
Yahoo searches are at least as good as Google searches. But “Yahoo it” never became a saying and we’re a nation of sheep trying to be like everyone else. So Google it is.

So you work for yahoo?

Here’s another great gift idea: Give candles. They never go out of style, people often don’t think to have enough of them on hand, and someday the power will go out. When it does you can fire them up and read your dictionary by candlelight. But seriously, candles rule. Not the ones that come in glass containers that seem to be all the rage these days. A big fat waxy pillar and a stand to hold it. Or a nice box of tapers and some candlesticks. Even oil candles and a mirror to set them on. Maybe it’s not the best gift idea for a high school graduate. They might wind up burning down their dorm room or first apartment. But for responsible adults they make a great gift. And they shed real light, unlike a collection of ancient myths collected by Bronze Age tribesmen who didn’t know where the sun went at night. 

Candles? What is this? A Chad
Briscoe sock?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, davidg said:

Candles? What is this? A Chad
Briscoe sock?

Man, it sucks that Bullfrog Candles went out of business. Those were the best.

I worked at a candle store when I was in school. With my employee discount I had a lot of candles. If I brought a young lady back to my apartment, lit a bunch of candles, burned some incense, and played this album:

DIGA_RHYTHM_BAND_DIGA-495695.jpg

I scored every time.

Granted, that accounted for maybe just a half dozen encounters. I wasn’t a total letch. But candles are an overlooked luxury. I remember a Christmas party thrown by the store’s manager for all the employees. She had her living room very tastefully decorated with candles, Not like a hodgepodge of lights assembled by some young hippie dude smoking a bong, playing hippie music, and trying to nail a hippie chick. The centerpiece was this big frosted snowball candle with three wicks. Don’t be so quick to dismiss the aesthetics of the candle.

I suppose I should give a shout out to Colonial Candle of Cape Cod. They were a major supplier of candles to that store and the perimeter of the store was laid out in a display of their candles in a spectrum of all their different colors. (Looks like they’re falling victim to the glass jar candle craze too but they still offer a lot of traditional candles.) Seriously, candles rule. Give them as gifts and they’ll be appreciated, maybe not right away. But they will be and probably no one else is giving them away so they make for a unique and thoughtful gift.

https://colonialcandle.com/

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I worked at a candle store when I was in school. With my employee discount I had a lot of candles. If I brought a young lady back to my apartment, lit a bunch of candles, burned some incense, and played this album:

I scored every time.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I scored every time.

Granted, that accounted for maybe just a half dozen encounters. I wasn’t a total letch. But candles are an overlooked luxury. I remember a Christmas party thrown by the store’s manager for all the employees. She had her living room very tastefully decorated with candles, Not like a hodgepodge of lights assembled by some young hippie dude smoking a bong, playing hippie music, and trying to nail a hippie chick. The centerpiece was this big frosted snowball candle with three wicks. Don’t be so quick to dismiss the aesthetics of the candle.

I suppose I should give a shout out to Colonial Candle of Cape Cod. They were a major supplier of candles to that store and the perimeter of the store was laid out in a display of their candles in a spectrum of all their different colors. (Looks like they’re falling victim to the glass jar candle craze too but they still offer a lot of traditional candles.) Seriously, candles rule. Give them as gifts and they’ll be appreciated, maybe not right away. But they will be and probably no one else is giving them away so they make for a unique and thoughtful gift.

https://colonialcandle.com/

Thanks for the advice, Damone

06091368-7469-46CF-B897-6FEE07779CBD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Last gasp on candles; yes, for cold weather power outages it's quite surprising how much heat they actually produce.  When I had my townhouse, I could have like 7 or 8 of them rolling downstairs on a 50 degree night & the upstairs was quite comfortable.

That said, with Snowpocalypse '21, we used my Milwaukee rocket lights (M12 & M18 versions).  I had all of my batteries fully prepped & for the nights, we had plenty of light & a gas stovetop to work with.  The only hassle was not having the fan running in the bedroom.  Going to sleep with no white noise is freaky.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:42 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Three posts about candies before a “not going away” post. That must be a record.

Not going away posts not going away.

Top that. Now you’d actually have to make a “not going away” post before the subject even comes up.

WhatTheBuck being gay talk not going away…

You mean like that?  

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Last gasp on candles; yes, for cold weather power outages it's quite surprising how much heat they actually produce.  When I had my townhouse, I could have like 7 or 8 of them rolling downstairs on a 50 degree night & the upstairs was quite comfortable.

That said, with Snowpocalypse '21, we used my Milwaukee rocket lights (M12 & M18 versions).  I had all of my batteries fully prepped & for the nights, we had plenty of light & a gas stovetop to work with.  The only hassle was not having the fan running in the bedroom.  Going to sleep with no white noise is freaky.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ellisapps.bedtimefan&hl=en_US&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bedtime-fan-white-noise/id907295335

4 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

WhatTheBuck being gay talk not going away…

You mean like that?  

Casual bigotry on surly definitely not going away. It’s 2022 and it’s still very common to see posters here suggest that someone is gay like it’s supposed to be a slight or an insult or to bother them in some way, or use it as a synonym for something that’s stupid or bad. Like the other day when former alkie said in a game thread that taunting was the gayest penalty in all of all sports.

Why do you suppose that is? Shouldn’t adults have grown out of that by now? I had friends, colleagues, and neighbors that I liked and respected who were gay but i was still using the term “gay” to mean something was dumb. But then I realized that was just, well, dumb so I stopped doing it. That was more than 20 years ago.

Would it bother you if people thought you were gay? Do you secretly fear that you might be gay and it would be a bad thing if you were? Why did you choose “WhatTheBuck being gay talk not going away” as your snark? Because who cares? Whether you’re male or female, whether I’m gay or straight, I have no interest in having sex with you. Sorry to break it to you. So who the fuck cares? It says something about the people who that matters to.

Now I can’t help but feel compelled to gay it up with more talk about candles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Casual bigotry on surly definitely not going away. It’s 2022 and it’s still very common to see posters here suggest that someone is gay like it’s supposed to be a slight or an insult or to bother them in some way, or use it as a synonym for something that’s stupid or bad. Like the other day when former alkie said in a game thread that taunting was the gayest penalty in all of all sports.

Why do you suppose that is? Shouldn’t adults have grown out of that by now? I had friends, colleagues, and neighbors that I liked and respected who were gay but i was still using the term “gay” to mean something was dumb. But then I realized that was just, well, dumb so I stopped doing it. That was more than 20 years ago.

Would it bother you if people thought you were gay? Do you secretly fear that you might be gay and it would be a bad thing if you were? Why did you choose “WhatTheBuck being gay talk not going away” as your snark? Because who cares? Whether you’re male or female, whether I’m gay or straight, I have no interest in having sex with you. Sorry to break it to you. So who the fuck cares? It says something about the people who that matters to.

Lighten up, Francis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Gas pumps that ask you 15 questions when it's cold out.

The sonsabitches can play ear-splittingly loud clips from SportSCenter for a game that ended only a few hours previously, but they can't figure out how to distinguish between a debit card and a credit card without a bunch of bullshit questions. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Frank The Tank said:

That’s an odd statement. 

Why? You don’t think candles can be a luxury? Sure, they have a utilitarian purpose when the power goes out. Or in religious rituals. I guess there might be a little overlap between utility and luxury when dining by candlelight.

How many people do you know who own and burn candles just for purely aesthetic reasons? I’m not talking about, say, a Burberry scented candle around Christmas time. I mean day-to-day use. Light some decorative candles, have a drink (or a smoke), listen to some music. Or maybe watch a movie. I watched The Fellowship of the Ring last weekend by candlelight. That made for a nice atmosphere.

Have you ever given or received a candle as a gift? Few people think of that but everyone can find a use for a candle. And it’s often something they won’t think to get for themselves, especially a really nice one like a large pillar with three wicks. Or a set candles and stands. Try it sometime. 

4 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The sonsabitches can play ear-splittingly loud clips from SportSCenter for a game that ended only a few hours previously, but they can't figure out how to distinguish between a debit card and a credit card without a bunch of bullshit questions. 

They also need to ask if you're using rewards, what your zip code is, whether you want a car wash or not, whether you want a receipt, and whether or not you want to save $.50 on donuts.

Fucking A.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They also need to ask if you're using rewards, what your zip code is, whether you want a car wash or not, whether you want a receipt, and whether or not you want to save $.50 on donuts.

Fucking A.

Don't forget the prompt to choose fuel additive and the one to join their loyalty program.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

Don't forget the prompt to choose fuel additive and the one to join their loyalty program.

And then you hit cancel thinking it's the same as "no" and it resets the pump.

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's not nearly as common as the usage here of cute slang terms for the intellectually impaired.  As a parent of a gay son and an intellectually impaired daughter, I find both offensive.  I'm just glad I don't have any kids on a sugar baby site.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's not nearly as common as the usage here of cute slang terms for the intellectually impaired.  As a parent of a gay son and an intellectually impaired daughter, I find both offensive.  I'm just glad I don't have any kids on a sugar baby site.

That you know of.

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

& Those require battery power to your phone.  So if you are dealing with a power outage, I'm gonna hoard every % of phone power that I have.

46 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

& Those require battery power to your phone.  So if you are dealing with a power outage, I'm gonna hoard every % of phone power that I have.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX-13000-10500-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Propane-Portable-Home-Power-Back-Up-Generator-XP13000EH/308311541

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re on an irreverent, profane, provocative messageboard focused on a university from Texas. Its current motto is “a place for broken brained assholes.”

I suggest that if you’re looking for progressive, inclusive, politically correct, intellectually stimulating discourse, you are in the wrong place.  

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1