Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Not trivial and you need a law dog

^^^^This^^^^ And I'd hang a  big old American flag out front and let them write you up for that too. Then go on national news about being a vet and them not wanting you to fly your flag. See how long they can take the heat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

^^^^This^^^^ And I'd hang a  big old American flag out front and let them write you up for that too. Then go on national news about being a vet and them not wanting you to fly your flag. See how long they can take the heat.

"Home Owners Association tells Last Surviving 30 Years War Vet he can't fly the flag of the Electorate of Palatinate"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Went to lake Pflugerville to just chill and fish a bit, and there was a guy for fucking nearly 30 minutes trying to get a perfect pic of his girl and their dog right next to me. showing her every pic after he took it and was told to do another from what I saw. Chick was maybe a 6  at best as well. What a fucking pussy. We’ve all done it, but after 5 mins I’ll say there is a good enough pic in there, not taking anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know I should be happy about living in a time in which YouTube allows me to watch or listen to so many things for free.

That being said, the ads.  My God.  You click on a video.  Ad #1, then Ad #2, then a popup ad asking if I'd like YouTube Plus or Max or whatever it is, THEN a GD ad DURING a 9 minute song!!!  

And, yes, I do have a music streaming service that I pay for; however, I like to listen to a lot of live, hour+ long sets of music.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Took the dogs, the daughter, and mom to the ranch yesterday.  When we pull in mom says we need a new Texas flag that one is all faded.  So we go into town to eat dinner and after I go to Wal-mart to get a new flag.    The Wal-mart in Columbus, Texas only has two types of flags, U.S and Tennessee.  WTF?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Took the dogs, the daughter, and mom to the ranch yesterday.  When we pull in mom says we need a new Texas flag that one is all faded.  So we go into town to eat dinner and after I go to Wal-mart to get a new flag.    The Wal-mart in Columbus, Texas only has two types of flags, U.S and Tennessee.  WTF?

You’ve been invaded, and didn’t get the memo ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:20 AM, Hpara759 said:

SOB'S that are going to be poppin fireworks off in my hood tonight......

Nah, internet Karens who complain about fireworks on July 4 and December 31 are the worst.  Any other night, bitch away.  People go on Reddit/next door on those 2 nights to bitch about fireworks like it’s some new phenomenon 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This new fucking crypto commercial being pitched by Matt Damon.

while I techically know the Romans used the translation of "Fortune favors the Brave", the fact is, the standard accepted version of the translation is "Fortune favors the Bold" 

because in a military context being bold and making bold moves helps you win the fucking battle.   

Being brave can also win the battle... it can also mean you get killed because you are bravely running at the front of the fight and the first to die. 

The Romans meant it as an ideal,  not a rallying cry.

so yeah... that makes me surly when he keeps saying fortune favors the brave.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Not trivial, but both my furnace AND garage door gave out today.

The furnace quit a few days ago, but started blowing warm air again. The HVAC guy told me to give him a call if it happened again, but to change the filters first (they're filthy, especially since we did a renovation during the summer). It's 65 degrees in the house right now. Just a few degrees cooler than we usually keep it, but it's gonna drop down to the low 40s tonight, even colder Monday and Tuesday.

As for the garage door, one of the springs broke. The guys said they're only good for about 20,000 cycles, and to expect it to break in another 7-10 years. But still $500 I didn't want to spend on New Years day.

10 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

while I techically know the Romans used the translation of "Fortune favors the Brave", the fact is, the standard accepted version of the translation is "Fortune favors the Bold" 

because in a military context being bold and making bold moves helps you win the fucking battle.   

Being brave can also win the battle... it can also mean you get killed because you are bravely running at the front of the fight and the first to die. 

Being bold can also cause you to lose the battle .....into the valley of death rode the 600....

22 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Davy Crockett Days?

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Nah, internet Karens who complain about fireworks on July 4 and December 31 are the worst.  Any other night, bitch away.  People go on Reddit/next door on those 2 nights to bitch about fireworks like it’s some new phenomenon 

What bothers me is when I can hear someone shooting off fireworks but they’re not close enough for me to step outside and watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Ok, internet. You've made your passwords inconceivably annoying with Caps/Non-Caps/Numbers/Symbols required. I get it.

But shouldn't the default be "show password", not "hide password"?

No one is looking over my shoulder when I log into Netflix. 

Oh you poor disillusioned fool.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

I told my son this same thing last night.  Get the fucking quote right assholes!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, Superhero said:

The furnace quit a few days ago, but started blowing warm air again. The HVAC guy told me to give him a call if it happened again, but to change the filters first (they're filthy, especially since we did a renovation during the summer). It's 65 degrees in the house right now. Just a few degrees cooler than we usually keep it, but it's gonna drop down to the low 40s tonight, even colder Monday and Tuesday.

Again, not trivial at all...

Had a guy come out yesterday to check the furnace. He said the circuit board (who knew furnaces have circuit boards?!?!) was on the fritz, and needed to be replaced.

He said his regular place was out of stock, and because of the chip shortage, probably won't get stock until the end of the month. He said he MIGHT be able to get one from another shop in Texas, but it MIGHT NOT, IF AT ALL get here by Wednesday. That means we're in a pretty dang cold house.

The downstairs thermostat says 61°. The sensor in the office shows 59°. The sensor in my daughter's room shows 53°.

I fired up the fireplace yesterday. Luckily I kept the burner, but had previously tossed the ceramic logs. It's not efficient if you don't have logs because the heat goes straight up. I ordered some Amazon this morning. They had same day shipping on these, so hopefully we'll be a little warmer tonight.

17 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Had a guy come out yesterday to check the furnace. He said the circuit board (who knew furnaces have circuit boards?!?!) was on the fritz, and needed to be replaced.

He said his regular place was out of stock, and because of the chip shortage, probably won't get stock until the end of the month. He said he MIGHT be able to get one from another shop in Texas, but it MIGHT NOT, IF AT ALL get here by Wednesday. That means we're in a pretty dang cold house.

The downstairs thermostat says 61°. The sensor in the office shows 59°. The sensor in my daughter's room shows 53°.

I fired up the fireplace yesterday. Luckily I kept the burner, but had previously tossed the ceramic logs. It's not efficient if you don't have logs because the heat goes straight up. I ordered some Amazon this morning. They had same day shipping on these, so hopefully we'll be a little warmer tonight.

Sounds a lot better than what most of us went through last year. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:36 PM, Superhero said:

As for the garage door, one of the springs broke. The guys said they're only good for about 20,000 cycles, and to expect it to break in another 7-10 years. But still $500 I didn't want to spend on New Years day.

One of the springs broke on my wife's garage door this weekend. Called our usual place and it turns out that it had been sold to a new owner (the old guy retired and sold his business, good for him) and they came out on Saturday, guy said he didn't have the parts that would fix it, wouldn't have those parts until mid Feb, and suggested we upgrade to a high torsion spring set-up for the low, low cost of $943. We called a different place that came out today and had the needed parts and it was fixed in an hour for $200. Looks like I found a new garage door guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Sandman said:

One of the springs broke on my wife's garage door this weekend. Called our usual place and it turns out that it had been sold to a new owner (the old guy retired and sold his business, good for him) and they came out on Saturday, guy said he didn't have the parts that would fix it, wouldn't have those parts until mid Feb, and suggested we upgrade to a high torsion spring set-up for the low, low cost of $943. We called a different place that came out today and had the needed parts and it was fixed in an hour for $200. Looks like I found a new garage door guy.

I presume he also offered you some HDMI cables with gold contact points.

39 minutes ago, Sandman said:

You got the "I've got better shit to do, but if this guy will pay it, I'll bill it" rate from the first guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Buy a couple of these at Walmart. Oil filled electric heater. They're cheap, usually about $50, and will heat a good sized room. They don't use much electricity and they don't pose any type of fire hazard.

heater.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/1/2022 at 5:05 PM, Js1 said:

Noise in general doesn't bother me.  I live about a mile outside of downtown and hear train horns, police sirens, and helicopters on the regular.  A night or two of fireworks doesn't phase me.

I hate them for my dog's sake, though, who spent his new year's eve hiding between the couch and the wall shivering in fear of the non stop popping all around us.  Before the 4th of July I'm going to have to get some doggy xanax or something.

While I don't care for the term "sangwich" now that we're all supposedly in adulthood, I do agree with you about how they manipulate the ingredients to make it look more full.  

Royal Blue Grocery makes the best pre-packed sandwiches in Austin, IMHO (as in, grab from the case---no need to order at the counter).  Generous portions of everything from meat to cheese to veggies to condiments and all, evenly spread throughout the generous sized bread.  

Something making me surly already in 2022---the number of people at my coffee shop stop in the mornings hacking up a lung with no mask on, and then they look up at you at the coffee bar and say, "Oh, it's just allergies...it's not Covid."  Yeah dude, same for me...dudn't mean you're not a fucking asshole for getting the pastry case all wet with your hacking cough.  Put a fucking mask on.  It's not about Covid or mandates, two fucking days in a row some unmasked fucker took their cedar frustrations out on the pastry case.  Yeah, it's a closed case...but still...I don't want a fucking muffin outta there now while you cheer on two of your mucous drops to see which one slides down the floor first.  We're all dealing with cedar shit, take that shit outside.  Yes, choke on the irony.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

That commercial in general seems preachy AF.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, cabowabo said:

Prepackaged sangwiches. You're not fooling anyone by piling the meat on the front of the sangwich, so spread that shit around so I don't have to.

also every gotdamn deli.  6" of pastrami piled up smack dab in the middle and nothing out on the edges. 

• Fuck You 1

Holy fuck, it is impossible to get a kid a learners permit.

The kid needs a government issued photo ID, two different household bills or a fucking property deed, the actual social security card, birth certificate, a letter from the school to verify attendance and grades, and the form showing completion of the classroom portion of drivers Ed.

Seriously WTF. I don’t need 90% of that to get her a CHL.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure all I needed for my son was a passport, school attendance letter, and driver's ed completion certificate. 

I just left the DPS office. I left out some other stuff they requested. They also requested all vehicle insurance cards and registration, a school ID to prove she’s the person on the school attendance letter, parent ID, and I have to sign an affidavit stating that she lives at the address on everything since no bills are in her name.

When you buy some shit at HEB and it comes with a coupon for some other free shit with the shit you were buying anyway, but it's somewhere else in the store and you look all over the store and can't find it, and finally you ask some flunky employee in the store where the F the free shit is and he tells you, but of course, that spot where the free shit is completely empty because all the free shit was already taken...and shit.

• Like 1