Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Isn't that the meaning of direct? What I am I missing I?

direct means a fuel or passenger stop somewhere.  used to be more common before there were planes that could fly between any two airports in the world.  LAX <-> SIN was just at or beyond the range of a 747-400 so you'd usually stop in taipei, for example.  southwest still does them with some bus route type flights (tampa - baltimore - columbus - st louis - houston, iirc).   they'll say something like "welcome to phoenix, if you are continuing on to oakland, stay on the plane so we can get a head count."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

wikipedia uses the word "may" include intermediate stops, but its source says a direct flight "makes stops along the way" which is a more imperative way of stating it. and most travel sites describe it as a flight that makes stop(s) along the way. 

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

People who buy lifetime subscriptions. If you are over the age of 40, think all the technology, societal changes that have taken place. Now, Imagine if you had shelled out money for an AOL lifetime subscription.

This is actually an issue now with apps. I’ve bought several apps over the years that are no longer supported. So when you get a new device, you lose the app and all the data with it. 

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

wikipedia uses the word "may" include intermediate stops, but its source says a direct flight "makes stops along the way" which is a more imperative way of stating it. and most travel sites describe it as a flight that makes stop(s) along the way. 

If you pronounce “gif” with a hard “g” and not correctly with a soft “g” like “Jif” the peanut butter then I don’t recognize your quibbling over the difference between “direct” and “non-stop” flights and the meaning between the two.

But surely you have to agree that every non-stop flight is a direct flight, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

People who buy lifetime subscriptions. If you are over the age of 40, think all the technology, societal changes that have taken place. Now, Imagine if you had shelled out money for an AOL lifetime subscription.

Yeah, who needs the stories in Playboy or Hustler these days?

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Lifetime doesn't mean for the duration of YOUR life.  It means, for the duration of the life of the company selling it.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you pronounce “gif” with a hard “g” and not correctly with a soft “g” like “Jif” the peanut butter then I don’t recognize your quibbling over the difference between “direct” and “non-stop” flights and the meaning between the two.

But surely you have to agree that every non-stop flight is a direct flight, right?

it's the internet equivalent of sports mount rushmores

Edited by elfenix

A bunch of active wasp nests under my roof eaves. I sprayed at least 8 just now. My neighbor's house also has at least 3 that I can see.  I'm painting my house soon, and want to kill them before the painters power wash and get stung and sue me.

Also, we have an ant problem in the kitchen. We've been in the house for almost 7 years, and this is the first time we had ants, which is a miracle considering Irvine / Tustin is essentially built over an ant mound. It's been dry AF and hot AF. I guess it's the time of year when the ants get into houses looking for water and something to eat. I'll need to remember to spray around the house next August.

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Napkin dispensers that are packed with too many napkins that you end up tearing them into tiny pieces as you try to get one out.

And they’re usually really shitty, thin napkins. You have to push them in and then pull out a huge wad of them to avoid tearing them. And then each napkin is good for one wipe of your hands or mouth.

Assuming you’re talking about restaurants. Like a typical diner. The other thing is they have their pepper shakers so full that it’s actually hard to shake any pepper out. I unscrew the top to relieve some of the stress and pepper spills all over the place. It’s like they managed to force more pepper in there than the shaker was made to hold. How do they even do that? That’s on them, though. After I remove the excess pepper and replace the cap, it dispenses just fine. I’ll leave it to them to clean the pepper off the table. I suppose I could use one of their shitty thin napkins to collect that explosion of pepper. But fuck ‘em. I tip well. Let them deal with the mess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And they’re usually really shitty, thin napkins. You have to push them in and then pull out a huge wad of them to avoid tearing them. And then each napkin is good for one wipe of your hands or mouth.

Assuming you’re talking about restaurants. Like a typical diner. The other thing is they have their pepper shakers so full that it’s actually hard to shake any pepper out. I unscrew the top to relieve some of the stress and pepper spills all over the place. It’s like they managed to force more pepper in there than the shaker was made to hold. How do they even do that? That’s on them, though. After I remove the excess pepper and replace the cap, it dispenses just fine. I’ll leave it to them to clean the pepper off the table. I suppose I could use one of their shitty thin napkins to collect that explosion of pepper. But fuck ‘em. I tip well. Let them deal with the mess. 

The same store that sells mattress scales also sells pepper compactors. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

My father and MIL still use AOL as their primary personal email.  The parents also still have, not one, but two landlines.  The second is a dedicated line for their fax machine.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My father and MIL still use AOL as their primary personal email.  The parents also still have, not one, but two landlines.  The second is a dedicated line for their fax machine.

I am happy to pay the $10 a month for a landline so that I never have to give out my cell number if I don't want to. I find a spam text or robocall to my cell far more annoying than the same thing on our home phone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

My MIL too. It's fucking hilarious when she asks me a question related to her email. My answer is always "get a gmail account".

The MIL has a PHD and her last job was President of a university system.  Not a dumb person, and didn’t lack exposure to technology.  I almost fell out of my chair when she fired up the laptop at the breakfast table and the first sound was “you’ve got mail”.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I am happy to pay the $10 a month for a landline so that I never have to give out my cell number if I don't want to. I find a spam text or robocall to my cell far more annoying than the same thing on our home phone. 

Do you have a second landline dedicated to your fax machine?

• Haha 2

Got rid of the land line many many years ago. But if any establishment wants a number, they get the old land line. I walk off laughing to myself (in my head in Mr. Ts voice, I pity the fool), every single time.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lifetime doesn't mean for the duration of YOUR life.  It means, for the duration of the life of the company selling it.
Yes. Which is why it doesn't make any sense to buy a lifetime subscription to something that can be shutdown easily. Like apps or filesharing services, especially.

Megaupload still hasn't processed my refund.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Yes. Which is why it doesn't make any sense to buy a lifetime subscription to something that can be shutdown easily. Like apps or filesharing services, especially.

Megaupload still hasn't processed my refund.

And while we're at it, I've had it with "limited editions" of anything. 

There are finite amounts of every single resource on this entire planet, so there is nothing that isn't a limited edition. In other words, there are no "unlimited editions" of anything. 

15 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Napkin dispensers that are packed with too many napkins that you end up tearing them into tiny pieces as you try to get one out.

Related is the idiots that load napkins backwards in the dispensers. If you load the napkins correctly, there is a split in the napkin in the front and you can pull them out one by one.

If you load them backwards, you can’t get ahold of the front napkin unless you either tear it or pull out 4 or 5 of them. That makes me surly. 

2 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

Screenshot_20220524-114913_Chrome.jpg

This hits way to close to home these days.  My Dad died unexpectedly a couple of month's ago and I am working on getting things settled for my Mom.  Basically, making sure everyone gets what they need to transfer items to my mom and close out accounts.  Snail mail and Fax are the main way the majority of folks I have dealt with do business.

I give out a landline number that I gave up in 2014. I need to call it and see if it’s been reassigned. Not that I’d stop giving it out.

I also have a junk email I give out which is a variant of Cooter.Brown.junk.email@gmail.com.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

BBQ sauce on a hamburger. You are covering up a lot of errors by doing this. It dominates the taste buds and cancels out all other flavors.

Local mom and pop burger place does a bbq burger.  It’s a bacon cheeseburger with a thick onion ring.  I ask them to put the sauce on the side and throw the sauce away.  I do that because I could sense that I offended them when I made an alteration to the order.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:16 PM, BonzoMontreaux said:

This hits way to close to home these days.  My Dad died unexpectedly a couple of month's ago and I am working on getting things settled for my Mom.  Basically, making sure everyone gets what they need to transfer items to my mom and close out accounts.  Snail mail and Fax are the main way the majority of folks I have dealt with do business.

Without fax machines the health care field would crash. It always blows minds when I tell people I use one every single day.