Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

It's been an absolutely shit show at my house the past 2 days.

1. Son has been sick with a sore throat so my wife and I have been rotating so one of us is at home taking care of him.

2. The motion sensor light switch in the garage failed. I figure I'd just replace it with a regular switch. So I open up the box and there are 3 circuits in there... it should be an easy fix - all the black wires together, all the white wires together, and the ground wires, connect to the switch. I turn on the light and the breaker pops. It's late and I just remove the switch and put a nut on the black wires, another nut on the white wires... and the light turns on. WTF.

3. Internet a home completely craps out. We've been having some issues, and replaced the modem and routers, but there is no downstream signal at all.

4. My wife has T-Mobile, and her service has been spotty, where there is no signal for several hours.

5. My wife is in an extremely busy period at work and her VP is coming into town from NJ so she doesn't have time to deal with all of this.

Thankfully work has been relatively light this week so I can deal with all of this, but it's a pain in the ass with everything happening at once.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My biggest complaint at HEB is constantly having to jump out of the way of order pickers hauling ass through the aisles with their faces buried in their phones.  I'm thinking about letting the next one run me over and then suing them for big bucks.  Of course, then I'd be shopping at Randall's or Kroger.

no, if you win the big bucks you'll have one of those assholes shopping for you.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, hundredTT said:

People who stay late at work to just chat. I have some co-workers and bosses who literally just sit and talk for like 30 mins when they are off about the worst bullshit. Recipes, kids, work stories. I'm in the criminal justice field, and everyone also likes to talk about their horrible cases. When it's my time to get off, I'm fucking gone usually. And I'm close with my coworkers, but they never shut the fuck up and stay sooo much later just making small chat about nothing, then also complain about long hours...the fuckkk.

"in the criminal justice system, employees like to stay late and discuss recipes and PTA meeting results.  We call them....the Socially Vicarious Unit.  These are their stories"

duhhh duhhh 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

short while ago overall corporate morale was pretty low as revealed by internal survey.

we had a big all-hands meeting and a big wig said "we recognized you've all been overworked and distracted.  you need time to catch-up before the week, and decomprass after the week.  one of the things i'll institute going forward is there will be no meetings before noon on mondays, and no meetings after noon on fridays."

*cue raucous applause Thumbs-up Emojis floating on the Teams meeting for people dialing in*

anyone want to guess how long that practice lasted?

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

short while ago overall corporate morale was pretty low as revealed by internal survey.

we had a big all-hands meeting and a big wig said "we recognized you've all been overworked and distracted.  you need time to catch-up before the week, and decomprass after the week.  one of the things i'll institute going forward is there will be no meetings before noon on mondays, and no meetings after noon on fridays."

*cue raucous applause Thumbs-up Emojis floating on the Teams meeting for people dialing in*

anyone want to guess how long that practice lasted?

So how's your meeting going, 52-80?

• Haha 1

been expecting home delivery of a weber grill.

delivery company first has target date of september 14th.  then pushed to 15th.  then pushed to today 16th. 

delivery window is 8am-10pm (thanks, very useful).  at 910pm text message says to expect it in 15-30minutes. 

at 930pm website says delivery cancelled because "problem with address".

uh, no, there is no problem with address. i know where i live.  you mean problem with the goddamn delivery driver maybe?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

delivery company first has target date of september 14th.  then pushed to 15th.  then pushed to today 16th. 

delivery window is 8am-10pm (thanks, very useful).  at 910pm text message says to expect it in 15-30minutes. 

uh, no, there is no problem with address. i know where i live.  you mean problem with the goddamn delivery driver maybe?

Non-trivial.  If itmakes you feel any better, the driver is cooking burgers for friends and family tonight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Psshawww. Only 3 day window?

The microwave that I ordered last June was postponed from July, October, December, January… I finally got it in April. 

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Camp Chef pellet smoker FTW

On 8/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, hundredTT said:

People who stay late at work to just chat. I have some co-workers and bosses who literally just sit and talk for like 30 mins when they are off about the worst bullshit. Recipes, kids, work stories. I'm in the criminal justice field, and everyone also likes to talk about their horrible cases. When it's my time to get off, I'm fucking gone usually. And I'm close with my coworkers, but they never shut the fuck up and stay sooo much later just making small chat about nothing, then also complain about long hours...the fuckkk.

Are they at least drinking? If we stay late to bullshit, we definitely drinking.

Bought some uh... toys from an online store, and now the ads are following me everywhere.

Nothing like reading AP News and getting an ad for a vibrator...

How many other sites do I have to visit before I can let my kids use my computer again?

On a somewhat related note, zappos is selling single shoes... not a pair. Single shoes. I suppose they're catering to people who lost a limb, but it's still weird.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Bought some uh... toys from an online store, and now the ads are following me everywhere.

How many other sites do I have to visit before I can let my kids use my computer again?

The answer is probably directly proportional to how much comparison shopping you did.

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

On a somewhat related note, zappos is selling single shoes... not a pair. Single shoes. I suppose they're catering to people who lost a limb, but it's still weird.

ccleaner ftw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

Always and I mean always browse in  "private" mode when shopping for toys online. 

On 9/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, Hate said:

I can’t stand the “private” traffic cops for churches and businesses. Why should the rest of the public have to stop to let you out of the parking lot? Fuck you.

So much this. 

Everything that’s wrong with America is encapsulated in private cops protecting exclusive business and church access to tax payer funded roads. 
/no cr…. But really cr.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Pro tip: just shop in the store.

a937086b6ee3c53a60af7a71ccb2761f.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, Hate said:

I can’t stand the “private” traffic cops for churches and businesses. Why should the rest of the public have to stop to let you out of the parking lot? Fuck you.

Fuck the NFL and college gameday too then, right?

Those are public streets, I have a right to access them...( maybe not)

and fuck crossing guards too.  That shit's inconvenient.

Edited by slorch

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Fuck the NFL and college gameday too then, right?

Those are public streets, I have a right to access them...( maybe not)

and fuck crossing guards too.  That shit's inconvenient.

11 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, fuck all those cops around DKR on game day too.  I should be able to drive past the stadium on Saturday without having to deal with them

11d824da-adf1-4ec5-b955-891ec6f2967d_tex

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

11d824da-adf1-4ec5-b955-891ec6f2967d_tex

Unless you live behind DKR, what plausible reason do you have for driving by it on game day ?

Churches are neighborhood adjacent, you’re fucking up normal street traffic with your private cops “directing” traffic for people using them just going about their day.  Going to church is not a special event requiring traffic cops like a football game with 60-100k people 

The arbitrary qualifiers are arbitrary AF.

As if you don't know when church lets out every week.  Just like the football game, you don't even have to be there.

And fuck funeral processions  too.  There's usually a church involved there too.

But sure, shut down streets for the drunks in downtown/ touristy areas anytime we want... and nary a peep from surly.

Edited by slorch