Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

7 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, as a standalone structure (meaning aside from potentially problematic distances between gates during short layovers - looking at you, PHX and CLT...), MCI is the worst airport in the country in my experience - especially relative to the size of the city it serves. 

It's like the original design cue was based off of toenail clippings. 

I’ve always had disdain for PHX since my first trip to Vegas as a ute.  The entire plane was drunk after a 3 hour delay out of Austin and we had to go to the complete opposite end of the terminal to catch the connecting flight.  We were told the plane was leaving in 5 minutes., with or without us.  It was a sneak preview into air travel today.  Mass chaos, hysteria, basically the worst parts of the bible.

• Rage+1 2

Dropping a relative off at the airport and three pedestrians just clearly jaywalking.  I had the green light two of the pedestrians had the gall to stare me down as they crossed.  I honk, maybe I shouldn’t have.  One of them gave me the finger.  Younger me probably pulls over and gets out of the car.  They may have thought they had the go ahead because another car was sitting idle in the road.  So I guess that’s two trivial things that pissed me off

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 10/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, closetohumping said:
Dropping a relative off at the airport and three pedestrians just clearly jaywalking.  I had the green light two of the pedestrians had the gall to stare me down as they crossed.  I honk, maybe I shouldn’t have.  One of them gave me the finger.  Younger me probably pulls over and gets out of the car.  They may have thought they had the go ahead because another car was sitting idle in the road.  So I guess that’s two trivial things that pissed me off

People who walk in front of you in parking lots and the likes but do it diagonally so it takes even longer to clear your path are the fucking worst. And they are in zero hurry. If I'm doing this, it's in a straight line and I pick up the pace to be polite.

its all about politeness and just admitting you're wrong.  We're at a cross walk and I have the green, not you.  Say you're sorry and I'll wave right back. But, California.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

its all about politeness and just admitting you're wrong.  We're at a cross walk and I have the green, not you.  Say you're sorry and I'll wave right back. But, California.

Anytime I cross in front of a parked car, even if I have the right of way, I still wave a thank you. My guess is had they had a polite wave to you, you probably wouldn't have cared/or at least not honked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Anytime I cross in front of a parked car, even if I have the right of way, I still wave a thank you. My guess is had they had a polite wave to you, you probably wouldn't have cared/or at least not honked.

I would’ve waived right back.   I want to reiterate this was at a crosswalk where I have the green. I wasn’t hauling ass but they were already trickling across.  Eye contact was made and they still went.  No wave.  This isn’t like high schoolers hauling ass to cross the middle of the road.  Not that that’s ok.   These were full grown adults.  It was a very slow time too so totally unnecessary 

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Stopped at Racetrack to get gas. Every single pump has a car. The actual parking lot is almost empty. Only two people are actually pumping gas.

If I’m stopping at Buc-ees for bathroom/snacks, and not for gas, I’ll pull down the lane in front. If there’s a parking spot in front, great. If not, there’ll be one at a gas pump. Don’t even bother faking getting gas. No fs given at Buc-ees. 

15 hours ago, nnm said:

If I’m stopping at Buc-ees for bathroom/snacks, and not for gas, I’ll pull down the lane in front. If there’s a parking spot in front, great. If not, there’ll be one at a gas pump. Don’t even bother faking getting gas. No fs given at Buc-ees. 

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

While waiting for lunch I tuned into The Price is Right. I don’t know what they were bidding on but the first guy bid $1,000. Contestant 2 bid $600. Contestant 3 bid $1. I guess contestant 4 doesn’t understand the strategy because she bid $599. What a dumbass. Contestant 2 won with her bid of $600. 

47 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Not sure where to put this.  I just got back from the liquor store.  As I was leaving, a school bus with a decent amount of kids on it pulled into the parking lot and an adult got out of the bus and went into the liquor store.

1687785367_straightshooteruppermanagment.gif.7adadb4d35973bffb449b2fb9696d8b1.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

While waiting for lunch I tuned into The Price is Right. I don’t know what they were bidding on but the first guy bid $1,000. Contestant 2 bid $600. Contestant 3 bid $1. I guess contestant 4 doesn’t understand the strategy because she bid $599. What a dumbass. Contestant 2 won with her bid of $600. 

These really are your Golden Years, aren't they?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't mind if parents want to go to other areas of town to trick or treat, but for god's sake park your car and get out and walk.  Don't follow your kids down the street driving at 1 mph.

There are some lazy mofos in this world.  Just look at all of the people that ride scooters around grocery stores, etc. that magically get up and walk to their cars in the lot.  Or people that cannot walk an extra 50 feet to put their carts in the cart corral.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 10/29/2022 at 1:11 PM, closetohumping said:

A college buddy of mine had the expectation that walking is a right and driving is a privilege.  Therefore in his mind he had the right-away.  He was hit crossing 21st Street between Gregory Gym and Jester and was hit by a motocyclist.  It only broke his wrist and skinned him up a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

There are some lazy mofos in this world.  Just look at all of the people that ride scooters around grocery stores, etc. that magically get up and walk to their cars in the lot.  Or people that cannot walk an extra 50 feet to put their carts in the cart corral.

Fat is now handicapped. Welcome to 'merica 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't mind if parents want to go to other areas of town to trick or treat, but for god's sake park your car and get out and walk.  Don't follow your kids down the street driving at 1 mph.

I used to live in a neighborhood where a couple would follow their daughter around the hood in their vehicle while she ran in the morning. It wasn't like we were in a dangerous part of town. Worst thing that ever happened was the HOA president getting their flowerbed torn up by an armadillo but they were acting like this was Fallujah, Iraq or something. We only knew about this because the mom posted it on the neighborhood Facebook group....

23 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I used to live in a neighborhood where a couple would follow their daughter around the hood in their vehicle while she ran in the morning. It wasn't like we were in a dangerous part of town. Worst thing that ever happened was the HOA president getting their flowerbed torn up by an armadillo but they were acting like this was Fallujah, Iraq or something. We only knew about this because the mom posted it on the neighborhood Facebook group....

Did no one call the police about the suspicious car following a female jogger?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

piece of shit work Dell laptop had its bluetooth function spazz out, so i cant use my wireless mouse.
sometimes im doing light work and dont intend to use a mouse, and using just the trackpad is okay. 
right now i dont need the mouse, but just the simple fact that it doesnt work, pisses me the hell off

Your laptop is probably under warranty if it’s leased from Dell.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=warranty

Or you can get a USB Bluetooth adapter.
https://a.co/d/fLPqmz7

Or you can just bitch about it.

54 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Your laptop is probably under warranty if it’s leased from Dell.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=warranty

Or you can get a USB Bluetooth adapter.
https://a.co/d/fLPqmz7

Or you can just bitch about it.

laptop recently had its battery replaced under warranty by the corporate IT dudes, because it started to swell, because dell sucks ass

better yet, i shut down the dell/windows laptop today and stashed it away.  starting 6 months of fully paid leave to hang out with my infant boy.  this makes me most unsurly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

battery replaced because it started to swell

Battery swell failures are not trivial and make me absolutely enraged. Charge logic is completely controlled by the mfg, yet they cannot keep batteries from getting into conditions where they swell? It's not a Dell thing, I've swelled more batteries than I can count across all sorts of devices.

Without fail, my devices get retired/unusable due to battery swell. Not due to other hardware failure, not due to performance getting outdated, just due to fucking battery failure.

At least many newer devices allow you to limit battery charge. Aggravating that most of them don't allow you to set your own desired charge threshold, only allowing you to use their preset (Samsung is 85%, Lenovo tablet is 60%, Surface is 50%). But much better than being stuck with 100%.

Recently I learned of Chargie, an inline USB charge limiter that works with an app on the device to allow any device to limit charge. It also works with 'dumb' devices that can't run the app, by sensing charge current and cutting off at some user-settable threshold of charge. I bought a few of them to try, and am pleasantly surprised with how easy they are to set up and use, and yet how much micro-control you can do in detail if you want to nerd out as a power user. I use one for my iPhone as iPhone does not provide a built-in way to limit charge at all. Chargie.org

Note that with modern battery tech, the longest battery lifespan will come at 50% charge.

Warning, lots of pics in spoiler. These are all my own photos of my own failed devices. Fuck this stupidity.

Spoiler

353451233_lgbattery.thumb.JPG.3458a0c30717a3751003a47a3a3f3b52.JPG

163385592_dellbattery2.thumb.JPG.28693fd7af7db6eef49ac80c6091e8c9.JPG

235515109_tabletbattery.thumb.jpg.d585db641fc390bb8641a2d93bc5fc38.jpg

2079707209_surfacebattery2.thumb.jpg.02e7227475cc4def95fec2a74d8a5d98.jpg

441986403_jumppackbattery.thumb.jpg.3386c6a932137c6c068fbc73cc70ec24.jpg

1186497027_phonebatteries.thumb.jpg.87bbd3656ce9b993d66d28497560411e.jpg

374674906_phonebatteries2.thumb.jpg.483decd6e6e4b251b0591da1f5632379.jpg

510964380_surfacebattery.thumb.jpg.7238da6ca65726c6e78bcc23c7dd8b5f.jpg

1733263665_dellbattery.thumb.JPG.f69b2cbe22991fe3aa3a5f0bf38f66cc.JPG

239341286_acerbattery.thumb.jpg.05e8464dbd27eb879930d1e0dd6985f8.jpg

1321944475_htcbattery.thumb.jpg.ba88847011518f7110c6129e50fd8b71.jpg

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

A college buddy of mine had the expectation that walking is a right and driving is a privilege.  Therefore in his mind he had the right-away.  He was hit crossing 21st Street between Gregory Gym and Jester and was hit by a motocyclist.  It only broke his wrist and skinned him up a bit.

Right-away?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Battery swell failures are not trivial and make me absolutely enraged. Charge logic is completely controlled by the mfg, yet they cannot keep batteries from getting into conditions where they swell? It's not a Dell thing, I've swelled more batteries than I can count across all sorts of devices.

Without fail, my devices get retired/unusable due to battery swell. Not due to other hardware failure, not due to performance getting outdated, just due to fucking battery failure.

At least many newer devices allow you to limit battery charge. Aggravating that most of them don't allow you to set your own desired charge threshold, only allowing you to use their preset (Samsung is 85%, Lenovo tablet is 60%, Surface is 50%). But much better than being stuck with 100%.

Recently I learned of Chargie, an inline USB charge limiter that works with an app on the device to allow any device to limit charge. It also works with 'dumb' devices that can't run the app, by sensing charge current and cutting off at some user-settable threshold of charge. I bought a few of them to try, and am pleasantly surprised with how easy they are to set up and use, and yet how much micro-control you can do in detail if you want to nerd out as a power user. I use one for my iPhone as iPhone does not provide a built-in way to limit charge at all. Chargie.org

Note that with modern battery tech, the longest battery lifespan will come at 50% charge.

Warning, lots of pics in spoiler. These are all my own photos of my own failed devices. Fuck this stupidity.

Hide contents

353451233_lgbattery.thumb.JPG.3458a0c30717a3751003a47a3a3f3b52.JPG

163385592_dellbattery2.thumb.JPG.28693fd7af7db6eef49ac80c6091e8c9.JPG

235515109_tabletbattery.thumb.jpg.d585db641fc390bb8641a2d93bc5fc38.jpg

2079707209_surfacebattery2.thumb.jpg.02e7227475cc4def95fec2a74d8a5d98.jpg

441986403_jumppackbattery.thumb.jpg.3386c6a932137c6c068fbc73cc70ec24.jpg

1186497027_phonebatteries.thumb.jpg.87bbd3656ce9b993d66d28497560411e.jpg

374674906_phonebatteries2.thumb.jpg.483decd6e6e4b251b0591da1f5632379.jpg

510964380_surfacebattery.thumb.jpg.7238da6ca65726c6e78bcc23c7dd8b5f.jpg

1733263665_dellbattery.thumb.JPG.f69b2cbe22991fe3aa3a5f0bf38f66cc.JPG

239341286_acerbattery.thumb.jpg.05e8464dbd27eb879930d1e0dd6985f8.jpg

1321944475_htcbattery.thumb.jpg.ba88847011518f7110c6129e50fd8b71.jpg

You’re going to LOVE the electric cars you’re going to be forced to buy in the next few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1