Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

12 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Tonight's claim of sarcasm is the most pathetic yet utterly predictable development in a cascading tide of embarrassment. Yet again, he gets all wound up to deliver a devastating humdinger but ends up letting out a big, wet shart. He then spikes his soiled underpants and proclaims victory.

‘Member Rocko? I ‘member.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Anybody else find it odd that a U.S. President very obviously had to look up the definition of the word "noble" before he posted it to twitter.  

It's not that hard of a word to have a working knowledge of, not like 'injudicious' or 'vacuous'  But no, Captain Dipshit had to cut and paste a dictionary definition.  

Also, if sarcasm is gonna be the new go-to excuse when shit goes sideways, maybe pepper in a few instances of actual sarcasm.  The drawback is yeah, by comparison---people will realize you weren't being sarcastic with the Noble and the Lysol.  But at least you can prove you understand the very basic human response mechanism known as sarcasm.  Your base has spent four years talking about how lame Democrats are, and how they can't take a joke because they're snowflakes.  And here you are with absolutely zero concept of sarcasm, or even basic humor.  You're taking away one of the last things they have, which is that they at least think your side is funnier than the other one.  And you're fucking that up.  Your base needs a win right now, at least show 'em you guys are still the funny ones.  Fall on the sarcasm sword, have somebody coach you up a few acerbic remarks for some Fox interview and let your shitshow base have a night of laughter.  We all need to laugh during this pandemic, it heals the soul (I mean, not yours---you don't have one).  

This is what Trump learning humor looks like in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olqoCwvUUo

That and he was clearly referencing the Pulitzer but is a dumb ass

• Like 1

Well, Captain Dipshit does have a point about Illinois.  It's woefully unfair that Louisiana has to carry the tag of most corrupt and poorly run state in the nation when Illinois blows it out of the water in all respects.  In Louisiana, you have to bribe a cop or kick up to some grifting general contractor or mid-level county clerk.  It all adds up in the end, but it's tiny little transaction amounts here and there.  In Illinois, particularly Cook County, it's 20% added to every single transaction with the government, both state and local.  There's regular physical violence and family threats during the process.  To tie it all together, once in New Orleans at a conference of police pension directors, the Illinois head stopped the elevator we were on together, asked me for my phone so he could hold it in the off position, then told me what it would cost for me to get a $3mm investment from them for an oil deal we were pitching downstairs and what would happen if I mentioned this conversation.  /csb 

The Illinois Democratic party makes the Trump grift look like the child's play that it is.

I like the "just asking" part at the end of the tweet though.  He's like a 7th grader who is just asking "Do you like me?  Yes?  No?  Maybe?"  Which fits his current sarcastic rant-filled week. 

"No, I don't like you Donald!"  

"What?  You thought I seriously said that?  I was being sarcastic, duh!  Joke much or just read about it?  Nobody likes you either.  Besides,  lot of other girls are saying they want to go to the spring dance with me.  So I have many options, tremendous options.  Anyway, see you in homeroom."  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ditto ca. something tells me we’ll be just fine. 

But thats not whats going to happen. Instead, they are going to find ways to bleed us more dry. This nation is a failed state.  The founders would have looked at what is going on as tyranny of the minority, and would amend the constitution to fix it.  They intended for it to be a living document after all.  Impossible to do now though. Time for regions to start seriously thinking about leaving. 

States like KY will wallow in the darkness for a while, but will eventually wise up and attempt to rejoin a reformed union.  But then, we will be able to establish economic and social benchmarks for reentry.  There's a reason that we were able to build economic juggernauts out of the rubble of Germany and Japan, but have never in our history been able to establish a functioning economy in Mississippi.

• Like 2

I'm in NJ, but if the feds are going to say fu because we, gasp, pay teachers a liveable wage and participated in Medicaid expansion, then what are we doing here. It's not enough that Florida is an idiocracy, they are determined to drag the rest of us down into it.

• Like 4

He wants to destroy the union (or at least his handlers do--trump is a demented lunatic now).  In 2014 he said, "You know what solves it?  When the economy crashes, when the country goes to total hell, and everything is a disaster.  Then you'll have, you know, you'll have riots to go back to where we used to be when we were great."  

Meanwhile, he's pitting states against each other, and telling the states that contribute the most economically and have the most educated populations to pound sand.  And at this point I would be fine with it.  Kick us out of the union.  Pretty please. And Florida and the south can keep its shitty education, lack of access to affordable healthcare, and stupid fucking wall.  And I can stop paying to put kids in cages and for misadventures in the Middle East.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

He wants to destroy the union (or at least his handlers do--trump is a demented lunatic now).  In 2014 he said, "You know what solves it?  When the economy crashes, when the country goes to total hell, and everything is a disaster.  Then you'll have, you know, you'll have riots to go back to where we used to be when we were great."  

Meanwhile, he's pitting states against each other, and telling the states that contribute the most economically and have the most educated populations to pound sand.  And at this point I would be fine with it.  Kick us out of the union.  Pretty please. And Florida and the south can keep its shitty education, lack of access to affordable healthcare, and stupid fucking wall.  And I can stop paying to put kids in cages and for misadventures in the Middle East.

Putin's wet dream come to life.

• Like 3

Just now, Red Five said:

He's really bringing the country together. 

Trump and the Trumpkins are doing all that they can, outside of direct military action, to destroy the union.  Just let that percolate in your head for a second - they are literally pitting states against states.

Putin has surely already beaten his dick raw watching this shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Where is the person that they recalled to be Trump's handler? Can she calm him down because I am ready to go on a bender if the twitdiot can't set his phone down. At the very least, arrange a playdate with Rudy G so they can yell at the tv together and leave us out of it.

Hope?  Why, Politico has an article up about her today:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/trump-hope-hicks-coronavirus-crisis-210808

Returning to the West Wing just a month after impeachment, one of President Donald Trump’s closest advisers found a presidency in crisis: a deadly disease outbreak, a tumbling stock market and a White House struggling to form a clear message about how it was confronting a quickly escalating threat.

For Hope Hicks, it marked a challenge unlike any other — trying to develop a communications strategy for the president to carry with a wartime footing in an election year. As one of the few aides Trump implicitly trusts, the former White House communications director urged the president to act as a frontman for the coronavirus crisis — a leader who could offer calming messages, critical health information and important updates on the progress of the White House’s response efforts, instead of delegating those responsibilities to health officials or the vice president.

Good luck, Hope.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is brilliant. I would like to nominate, "The Ammo Story: How America's Biggest, Burliest, and Most Decorated General's In All Of History Were Brought To Tears."

My runner-up would be "Better Than Lincoln, Himself: The President Who Saved America From Brown, Foreign, Illegal, Invisible, and Atmospheric Invaders With Nothing But A Sharpie."

Funniest joke told to two Russians in the Oval Office with no one else present.

Best private conference with a Russian autocrat with no one else present.

Most life like puppet.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, it's clear he has completely lost his mind right?  I don't really see how there could be a debate about that.  If we re-elect him (legitimately), it just shows we don't give a collective fuck about ourselves.

Interesting. I was thinking about the aftermath of Trump while driving today.

If the GOPs are so willing for (other) people to die to save the economy for the good of the country, should I be willing to risk Americans so that everyone will see Trump the way I do? For instance, should I be okay if Trump initiates some idiotic, dishonest action so egregious that the horrific results will make the cult think, "Man, what was I thinking?"

But Roma, he mused about injecting disinfectant and other ill-fated quackery.

True, my friend. Very true. And you're implied conclusion that it doesn't matter is well supported. You are quite a bright fellow whom I very much admire. But I'm thinking of more dire results.

Let's say 3,609 people died from combining the lupus pills with a tbl spoon of Pinesol at the president's behest? Say Video tape emerges of a room full of gasping, dying patients while Trump is on the overhead TV saying they don't need that many respirators. Say Trump orders an invasion of Venezuela or Iran?

Should I be okay with those if it means 80% of the electorate recoils in horror and sets a higher standard for their presidential vote?

It's like rooting for the other team to beat your team so the coach will get fired. Long run, sure. Short run, I can't pull against the Longhorns.

Long muse. Hope it interests somebody.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Interesting. I was thinking about the aftermath of Trump while driving today.

If the GOPs are so willing for (other) people to die to save the economy for the good of the country, should I be willing to risk Americans so that everyone will see Trump the way I do? For instance, should I be okay if Trump initiates some idiotic, dishonest action so egregious that the horrific results will make the cult think, "Man, what was I thinking?"

But Roma, he mused about injecting disinfectant and other ill-fated quackery.

True, my friend. Very true. And you're implied conclusion that it doesn't matter is well supported. You are quite a bright fellow whom I very much admire. But I'm thinking of more dire results.

Let's say 3,609 people died from combining the lupus pills with a tbl spoon of Pinesol at the president's behest? Say Video tape emerges of a room full of gasping, dying patients while Trump is on the overhead TV saying they don't need that many respirators. Say Trump orders an invasion of Venezuela or Iran?

Should I be okay with those if it means 80% of the electorate recoils in horror and sets a higher standard for their presidential vote?

It's like rooting for the other team to beat your team so the coach will get fired. Long run, sure. Short run, I can't pull against the Longhorns.

Long muse. Hope it interests somebody.

ill allow it GIF

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

When have we ever?

We go back and forth between the real interest of good citizens and the utter indifference of bad citizens. I've read that Harding was elected in the 20s because the electorate was tired of all the seriousness over the war and  the League of Nations. Everybody wanted to have a good time. The Depression woke them up.

I think the same thing happened after Watergate. So much concentration on Viet Nam, the ghetto, presidential abuse of power, CIA spying on citizens, and the environment is evidently difficult to maintain. Nixon resigning was a moment of triumph. Everybody takes their eyes off the ball, and here we are.

I don't know how well or even if we bounce back from this period of the electorate fucking off. We didn't have a permanent hate engine on one side before. I don't think we had such a villainous attempt to corrupt the courts and agencies through appointment of crooks and fools.

Without the will of the people to roll this shit tsunami back, we're stuck in the spiral. That's why I was musing about if there is a cataclysm bad enough to awaken people to just what kind degenerate we've put in office. An obvious degenerate at that.

Surprise.  We gonna get a presser this afternoon after all.

https://www.axios.com/white-house-cancels-coronavirus-press-briefing-4a1069da-66d1-4efa-8f4a-f0d9b89cfcec.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany tweeted Monday that President Trump will hold a coronavirus press briefing, after announcing earlier in the day that the White House would cancel its scheduled briefing.

What she's saying: "UPDATE: The White House has additional testing guidance and other announcements about safely opening up America again. President @realDonaldTrump will brief the nation during a press conference this evening."

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

yeah, cnn just teased that "there won't be a coronavirus briefing, but trump will address the nation at 5pm today".

ok.

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but that video is a great demonstration of the point. Trumpism isn’t a political movement so much as a cultural phenomenon.  Many Middle Americans revere an eccentric patchwork of sanitized nostalgia that they view as synonymous with “America.”

If you were to ask a group of run-of-the-mill midwesterners to list the most important American values, they’d include things like Golden Corral, water slides, cargo shorts, a specific arrangement of words spoken or sung in the direction of a specific arrangement of stripes and stars, Jesus, and four wheelers. They literally assume the superficial details of their daily lives are the important differentiators that make the US great. That wealthy, educated, stylish “elites” on the coasts ignore (at best) or mock (at worst) those cultural details is viewed as an attack not on passé provincial culture but on America itself. 

Trump and MAGA are now part of that culture. He’s not so much a political figure as a cultural icon, the new Fat Elvis. His name and image are a brand that signals a shared culture, a way to advertise that you’re a working class Midwesterner who doesn’t cotton to all that fancy liberal coastal shit. 

source.gif

Perfect.

This  is so much of what we're dealing with.  Sure, Trump and those folks have made themselves useful idiots for the McConnells and oligarchs of the world, so they support Trump and Trumpism.  But without this cultural base, there is no Trumpism.

Shit, I was on 281 yesterday, between 71 and central Marble Falls -- maybe a 5 mile stretch.  Sweet Jesus, the Trump signs and flags -- in many cases, accompanied by a Confederate flag, and even combo flags (Trump flag and confederate flag, etc.) -- they were all over.  Shit, head up the road a bit further -- there's an actual Trump gear STORE in Llano.

Do you remember seeing properties decked out in Bush flags, or Reagan flags, or Clinton flags, etc.?  Sure, you might have seen campaign signs, but you didn't see cultural merchandise EVERYWHERE.  For the bulk of the Trump voters, t's not about policies, or ideas -- it's cultural identity, pure and simple.  It's also fucking nuts.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Where is the person that they recalled to be Trump's handler? Can she calm him down because I am ready to go on a bender if the twitdiot can't set his phone down. At the very least, arrange a playdate with Rudy G so they can yell at the tv together and leave us out of it.

38 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hope?  Why, Politico has an article up about her today:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/trump-hope-hicks-coronavirus-crisis-210808

Good luck, Hope.

I imagine it goes down something like this 

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, it's clear he has completely lost his mind right?  I don't really see how there could be a debate about that.  If we re-elect him (legitimately), it just shows we don't give a collective fuck about ourselves.

The amazing thing is he's been this regarded all along. 

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, it was Monday that was misspelled.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but that video is a great demonstration of the point. Trumpism isn’t a political movement so much as a cultural phenomenon.  Many Middle Americans revere an eccentric patchwork of sanitized nostalgia that they view as synonymous with “America.”

If you were to ask a group of run-of-the-mill midwesterners to list the most important American values, they’d include things like Golden Corral, water slides, cargo shorts, a specific arrangement of words spoken or sung in the direction of a specific arrangement of stripes and stars, Jesus, and four wheelers. They literally assume the superficial details of their daily lives are the important differentiators that make the US great. That wealthy, educated, stylish “elites” on the coasts ignore (at best) or mock (at worst) those cultural details is viewed as an attack not on passé provincial culture but on America itself. 

Trump and MAGA are now part of that culture. He’s not so much a political figure as a cultural icon, the new Fat Elvis. His name and image are a brand that signals a shared culture, a way to advertise that you’re a working class Midwesterner who doesn’t cotton to all that fancy liberal coastal shit. 

There’s nothing wrong with that culture, per se. The problem is when it acts to drive political divisions. Bannon was right about culture and politics as it applies to 21st Century America. We’re sorting ourselves politically along cultural lines.

Constant self-congratulation and cultural arrogance are part of the picture you so aptly describe. Who better to be the face of that worst side of America than Donald Trump?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

The amazing thing is he's been this regarded all along. 

His ever foul trait was on display from the beginning. There was no need to discover anything about him. He has been embraced largely because of his foul, narcissistic, arrogant traits.

It's the electorate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, I was on 281 yesterday, between 71 and central Marble Falls -- maybe a 5 mile stretch.  Sweet Jesus, the Trump signs and flags -- in many cases, accompanied by a Confederate flag, and even combo flags (Trump flag and confederate flag, etc.) -- they were all over.  Shit, head up the road a bit further -- there's an actual Trump gear STORE in Llano.

but remember your talking points!  the confederate flag is not about slavery, it's about states rights.  and the guns aren't about inciting violence, they're about respecting the constitution.

were those accurate?  i only skimmed the guidelines from that wisconsin protest.

there are a lot of idiots itching for some sort of "new civil war" because they think their states have "more ammo" or whatever the fuck.  if i were a betting man, i would say we're gonna break up into 6-7 independent nations way before any type of shooting war.  get your crystal balls out.  look 250 years into the future.  it would be absolutely shocking if we were still chugging along with 50 states and the exact same constitution and system of government.

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We go back and forth between the real interest of good citizens and the utter indifference of bad citizens. I've read that Harding was elected in the 20s because the electorate was tired of all the seriousness over the war and  the League of Nations. Everybody wanted to have a good time. The Depression woke them up.

I think the same thing happened after Watergate. So much concentration on Viet Nam, the ghetto, presidential abuse of power, CIA spying on citizens, and the environment is evidently difficult to maintain. Nixon resigning was a moment of triumph. Everybody takes their eyes off the ball, and here we are.

I don't know how well or even if we bounce back from this period of the electorate fucking off. We didn't have a permanent hate engine on one side before. I don't think we had such a villainous attempt to corrupt the courts and agencies through appointment of crooks and fools.

Without the will of the people to roll this shit tsunami back, we're stuck in the spiral. That's why I was musing about if there is a cataclysm bad enough to awaken people to just what kind degenerate we've put in office. An obvious degenerate at that.

I was thinking the Covid 19 and the ineptness of the administration's  response would have fit that bill.

Now however, I think we're stuck in the spiral.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

but remember your talking points!  the confederate flag is not about slavery, it's about states rights.  and the guns aren't about inciting violence, they're about respecting the constitution.

were those accurate?  i only skimmed the guidelines from that wisconsin protest.

there are a lot of idiots itching for some sort of "new civil war" because they think their states have "more ammo" or whatever the fuck.  if i were a betting man, i would say we're gonna break up into 6-7 independent nations way before any type of shooting war.  get your crystal balls out.  look 250 years into the future.  it would be absolutely shocking if we were still chugging along with 50 states and the exact same constitution and system of government.

I don't see that happening without a whole lotta shooting. 

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Constant self-congratulation and cultural arrogance are part of the picture you so aptly describe. 

don't forget fox news.

self-congratulating only works if there's a mainstream media outlet that supports it.  until that shit changes, nothing else will.

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I can't even put into words how much of a step up that dolphin would be as president.

I lost my shit reading this.

Thanks for the lol’s.... in the sad, sad yet absurdly funny-frightening way that it is.

Edited by Dnaguy

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Speaking of:

https://gizmodo.com/report-over-100-militant-groups-have-been-promoting-se-1843051231

God help us if Mark Zuckerberg’s next congressional hearing is on the subject of the Bloody Insurrection of 2020. As HuffPost first reported, a scourge of far-right extremist accounts on Facebook appear to be gearing up for a meme-inspired civil war amid the covid-19 outbreak.

The Tech Transparency Project (TTP), a research group focused on exposing large platforms’ misconduct and influence, released a report finding that 125 Facebook groups are promoting the “boogaloo,” a term far-right groups use to refer to a wishful Civil War sequel. The boogaloo appears to have mutated from a joking 4chan meme into a real-life movement of militiamen (“Boojihadeens”) late last year. But the TTP found a surge in boogaloo interest over the past few months, correlating with social distancing measures. According to the report, over 60 percent of the Facebook groups cropped up in the past three months and, as a whole, have attracted over 36,000 members in the last 30 days.

Boogaloo promoters have been attending anti-quarantine protests, events with ties to pro-gun activists. The report says that the Boojahideen have been hearing dog whistles from the president lately, greeting his “LIBERATE” tweets with cheers. “TTP found that some members of private boogaloo Facebook groups reacted to the president’s rhetoric with memes of celebration,” it reads, “and traded details of anti-quarantine protests in Richmond, Virginia, and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.”

In total, these Facebook groups boast 72,686 members, although the report did not verify how many members overlap between groups. One merch page, the Thicc Boog Line, admins at least 11 other boogaloo groups.

The vast majority are private, TTP notes. One post screenshot grabbed by TTP crowdsources tips on homemade explosives. It begins:

vxo82efchzwi5axik3sa.png

qdqnkqn43hx30ibbgzhw.png

Boogaloo advocates reportedly include Matt Marshall, a leader of the militia group Three Percenters, named for the disputed belief that only three percent of Americans fought in the Revolutionary War. According to the Anti-Defamation League, Marshall suggested that followers wear the Hawaiian shirt, the mark of the Boojahideen, to anti-quarantine protests.

Slides included in the report also outline a propaganda strategy proposing that boogaloo insurgents stick to Revolutionary War-related emblems such as the Gadsden flag, rather than anarchism emblems, which the media will portray as “black and scary.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Do you remember seeing properties decked out in Bush flags, or Reagan flags, or Clinton flags, etc.?  Sure, you might have seen campaign signs, but you didn't see cultural merchandise EVERYWHERE.  For the bulk of the Trump voters, t's not about policies, or ideas -- it's cultural identity, pure and simple.  It's also fucking nuts.

To be fair, I also believe the Left has its own cultural that drives its politics. Those Obama “HOPE” posters are a good example. Or the Facebook profile pics that show how much we give a shit about that awful tsunami that killed all those poor earthquake victims of the volcano in Puerto Rico. Or something. 

But at least the Left’s culture currently includes standing up for real structural ideals like a free press, anti-corruption, alliances with global partners who share our common ideals, etc.