Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

One of the more silly things conservatives believe is that white privilege can be legislated away to the point of being scared.  It’s like, even if we made the laws more egalitarian, whites would still have the upper hand b/c they have the vast majority of the wealth and influence.  

Making structural policy changes is only one step towards a more just society. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One of the more silly things conservatives believe is that white privilege can be legislated away to the point of being scared.  It’s like, even if we made the laws more egalitarian, whites would still have the upper hand b/c they have the vast majority of the wealth and influence.  

I think this is why some people are scared of the idea of economic reparations in the short term and those structural policy changes you mention in the medium to long term. Leveling the playing field and or shifting it backwards for those people to where they will not have a vast majority of wealth and influence, it will be more democratized. That's a scary thing because then there is a possibility of life being "nasty, brutish and short", as they say.

47 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

you beat me to it.

But is it really a fair or reasonable fear, is the question?

I think it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think the cycle goes like this:  The resistance to change is manifesting itself in things like Back the Blue which does not acknowledge the disparity in treatment of minorities so the minorities organize.  The resistance to change gets stronger and morphs into alt-right terrorists groups that ratchet up the minority organization.  The change is an irresistible force that grows stronger with resistance.  If there was less resistance to incremental change,  I believe the pace of change would slow.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

....followed by an undefined, amorphous, and likely unacknowledged fear that when minorities are in charge, they'll treat white people as shitty as white people have treated minorities.

As that very astute Black woman from Minneapolis said after the murder of George Floyd - “White Americans should be very thankful we (Black Americans) want equality and not revenge.”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

giphy.gif

It was his department after all. Too bad we can no longer tap his keen intellect to help guide us through these turbulent times. 

Can you imagine the outrage had Obama been completely quiet in the aftermath of the most expansive Russian cyber intrusion ever?

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I don't follow you here, I'm sorry.

The question was, based off my last post and Brisket's input, which he beat me to, is the idea that white people should have something to fear once they are in the minority that they will be levied some degree of payback by the now majority who they once treated unequally (or outright mistreated, depending on the color of the skin)? Is it a fair and reasonable fear to have? Is retaliation appropriate? Economically or otherwise?

Genuinely curious because I think that could be some of the thinking there. It's not wholly unlike Reconstruction after the Civil War and I've heard differing opinions on it being a failure (should have came down harder and more punitive) and it being what salved and saved the union post war.

My point, to paraphrase Th Unforgiven, is that Reasonable has nothing to do with it. 

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is anyone from the original vote (supermajority) going to vote against it now? 

Sure, then they can do the Democrat Shuffle. "I voted for it before I voted against it." or "You will see that I voted for that defense bill. My opponent is lying if he says I never voted for it."

It will hopefully work for them the same way it did for the Dems on not being definitive in opposing the Iraq invasion.

I had a friend, who has never been on a military base, let alone served in the military, explain to me that the military mail in voting is done in a very strict manner, with officers and NCOs watching over everyone to make sure that there was no hanky panky.  According to this genius, the unit gets everyone's ballots, sits everyone down at the same time to fill them out, takes them all up, checks them for completeness and correctness, then sends them all back at the same time.  He couldn't tell me how he knew this, it just made the most sense to him.
No offense, your friend is an idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
6 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:
I had a friend, who has never been on a military base, let alone served in the military, explain to me that the military mail in voting is done in a very strict manner, with officers and NCOs watching over everyone to make sure that there was no hanky panky.  According to this genius, the unit gets everyone's ballots, sits everyone down at the same time to fill them out, takes them all up, checks them for completeness and correctness, then sends them all back at the same time.  He couldn't tell me how he knew this, it just made the most sense to him.

I think he knows this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
10 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That’s an insult to idiots 

• Like 1

That’s an insult to idiots 
Strong, to very strong.

After this cluster-fuck of an administration we are going to need to review a lot of ways we define things.

I'll submit the first: "Trump card" - (noun) A card that you think holds value, but in reality when played leaves you penniless and mocked by those around you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, immamac said:

that's the part I didn't know. Thought if the initial vote exceeded the 2/3 in both it was veto-proof. 

I think you get it now, but both houses have to vote on the vetoed bill again and the second vote being over 2/3 in each house is the one that overrides the veto.

The first vote being over 2/3 is only an indication that a veto would potentially be overridden.

“The proponents of this move may not have thought through the possible repercussions of their reversal of that policy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/12/17/james-baker-trump-morocco-western-sahara-abraham-accords/

I don’t know James.  That doesn’t sound like the Trump administration. 

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Really raises the interesting question:  Does Russia now have the upper hand because they own Donald Trump? Or simply because he's such a fucking moron?

Seriously, Trump is going to do what is best for him. The concept of America means nothing to him. Nothing. Americans mean nothing to him. Nothing. He speaks to the part of the populace that adores him because they adore him and give him what he needs. They mean nothing to him beyond that. Nothing. Every single soldier is expendable, as is every American. They all work for HIM.

If dumb ole me can see that, then you know Putin can. He's been putting the moves on Trump for a long long time and it's worked out great for both of them.

But the most egregious sin of all is how many Americans said, "Yeah, sure, whatever" and stood by without rendering aid to our country. JFK got that one right.

I'm out to festive and make merry today and hopefully not burn a hole in the CC. Y'all stay surly, I'm counting on it. Oh, and if anyone happens to run into this man:

Why Are Chris Hemsworth Meditations For Kids So Sexy?

please let him know I'm carrying....

Mistletoe.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

But the most egregious sin of all is how many Americans said, "Yeah, sure, whatever" and stood by without rendering aid to our country. JFK got that one right.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the fundamental problem with "Make America Great Again".  It's not so much that there's anything wrong with that slogan, it's that it misses out entirely on what actually did make America great during the times when it was.

America is only great when Americans are great. You want to make America great? Start with yourself.

We're only good when we seek to improve. It's as simple as that. And right now, Conservatism is all about "Don't tell me what I'm supposed to do!" Well, newsflash: that's the slogan of people who will never be great.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've been thinking a lot lately about the fundamental problem with "Make America Great Again".  It's not so much that there's anything wrong with that slogan, it's that it misses out entirely on what actually did make America great during the times when it was.

America is only great when Americans are great. You want to make America great? Start with yourself.

We're only good when we seek to improve. It's as simple as that. And right now, Conservatism is all about "Don't tell me what I'm supposed to do!" Well, newsflash: that's the slogan of people who will never be great.

Naah.  The problem is, it's a lie.  It really means "make PART of America great again."  It's a longing for a mythological America of the 1950s, of housewives putting dinner on the table, dad driving a new Buick home from his steady job, and smoking a pipe and reading the paper while the little lady cooks and cleans.  And nary a negro to be seen, except for the token character like a milk man or a shoe shine guy.

I exaggerate for effect....but I don't have to exaggerate much.

And the SUPER dumb thing is that while they long for that vision, they think that all the things that did make that possible (things like high state funding of universities, a higher tax rate to fund things like schools and the interstate highway system, etc.), well those are SOSHULISM! and we shouldn't do any of those things.  Oh, and you know, there was also the advantage white dad had in that he didn't have to compete with any women or minorities for his steady job.  THAT part, they want back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I highly recommend the WWII Museum in New Orleans. I noticed the section on the home front: the Government did not let you buy gas. Or tires. Or nylon stockings for women. Or anything needed in the war effort.

Think about it: the Patriots of WWII could not buy GAS and go for a drive on a holiday. Which was understood to help the war effort. The GOP “Patriots” can’t wear a mask for ten minutes to stop a killer contagion. Can you imagine those selfish fucks being told they have to have a government coupon to buy gas??

No. Fucking. Shit.

This is it in a nutshell. I don't want to hear a goddamned thing about your rights until you are willing to tell the rest of us about your responsibilities.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I highly recommend the WWII Museum in New Orleans. I noticed the section on the home front: the Government did not let you buy gas. Or tires. Or nylon stockings for women. Or anything needed in the war effort.

Think about it: the Patriots of WWII could not buy GAS and go for a drive on a holiday. Which was understood to help the war effort. The GOP “Patriots” can’t wear a mask for ten minutes to stop a killer contagion. Can you imagine those selfish fucks being told they have to have a government coupon to buy gas??

There were folks that found cheats and work arounds for that (there always are), but the social shaming (and more) was fierce if discovered. Everyone knew someone or was related to someone who was serving or had lost their life serving. We've forgotten sacrifice in service to our country whether on the homefront or overseas was and continues to be our duty. Our leaders and our nation have some selective amnesia.

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

To be fair.....that system had enough holes in it you could drive a truck through it.  Slip people cash, and you could get gas.  A magazine did a piece on it -- had writers drive cross country, and they had no problem getting gas along the way without coupons.

And...one of my mexican great uncles made his first fortune during the war.  He set up in Nogales, on the Mexican side, selling used tires to Americans who would drive across and buy them without the need for a gov't coupon.  Business was good.

We've always had a strong "rules for thee, not for me" strain, culturally.  But, it does ebb and flow.   Right now, it's at a super high spring tide high water mark.  Our sense of community, society, and any common interest is completely in the shitter.

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Yep, Americans had to ration needs.  Imagine that.  But a mask to fight a contagion is a bridge too far.  

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To be fair.....that system had enough holes in it you could drive a truck through it.  Slip people cash, and you could get gas.  A magazine did a piece on it -- had writers drive cross country, and they had no problem getting gas along the way without coupons.

And...one of my mexican great uncles made his first fortune during the war.  He set up in Nogales, on the Mexican side, selling used tires to Americans who would drive across and buy them without the need for a gov't coupon.  Business was good.

We've always had a strong "rules for thee, not for me" strain, culturally.  But, it does ebb and flow.   Right now, it's at a super high spring tide high water mark.  Our sense of community, society, and any common interest is completely in the shitter.

just like prohibition.  Congress could buy alcohol on the floor. The story in a nutshell:  

When George Cassiday returned from World War I, he needed a job. With the nation gripped by Prohibition, a friend suggested he try supplying bootleg liquor on Capitol Hill. Word spread quickly and Cassiday soon had a number of Congressmen — “wet” and “dry” — as clients.

By 1920 Cassiday went “in-house” with an office in the basement of the House Office Building to supply thirsty lawmakers. On one of his train trips back from NYC with “supplies,” Cassiday set his suitcase down a bit too hard and broke several bottles. A fellow traveler said, “Say, buddy, your clothes are leaking.” The Feds weren’t there to see the spill … but his luck wouldn’t hold much longer.

Eventually word about Cassiday’s cozy setup got out and in 1925 the Capitol Police caught him carrying booze into the Cannon Building. The dapper Cassiday was arrested wearing his signature green felt hat, earning him the moniker “The Man in the Green Hat.” Banned from the House, Cassiday promptly moved his operation to the Senate Office Building.

Cassiday found senators more discreet than their House colleagues, using a page or staffer to make the deal. But the feds caught on and in early 1930 Cassiday was arrested in the Senate parking lot with 6 bottles of gin. But he never spent a night in jail — courtesy, we suspect, of his long-time Capitol Hill friends.

A week before a crucial mid-term election in 1930, Cassiday wrote a series of front page articles for the Washington Post. “The Man in the Green Hat” detailed his 10-year career supplying bootleg liquor to 4 out of 5 lawmakers — and exposed the hypocrisy of a Congress flaunting the rules it imposed on America. The voters threw out the “dry” majority and set the nation on the path to Repeal!

Good story: https://boundarystones.weta.org/2020/12/04/man-green-hat-congress’-bootlegger-during-prohibition

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, just realize that we literally do not have a functioning federal government.  What we have instead is a den of cronies protecting a single criminal.  Then it all makes sense.

There will be no transition.  Just resistance, destruction of documents and information, etc.

Yep.  The transition team should not be surprised by this.  They will be starting from scratch with few instruments they need to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

This would make a great Meidas or other anti-Maga add.  The greatest Generation vs the MAGA generation

• Hook 'Em 1