Super Bowl Discussion - Kanas City Vs. San Francisco

Wally Pryor

Never thought when I saw Quandre Diggs snot bubble some scrawny kid in Lubbock 6 years ago that he'd go on to be arguably best player in the NFL right now. 

Yep. It’s hard to predict who will develop into a great QB. Men can and often do mature into their 20’s and they can improve dramatically. Brady was a 5th round pick and Montana was a 3rd round pick. And look how many top 10 overall or first round picks flame out.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Yep. It’s hard to predict who will develop into a great QB. Men can and often do mature into their 20’s and they can improve dramatically. Brady was a 5th round pick and Montana was a 3rd round pick. And look how many top 10 overall or first round picks flame out.

He also had a loosing record in college.  That's pretty rare can't think of any modern day successful NFL QBs that couldn't even get bowl eligible in college.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He also had a loosing record in college.  That's pretty rare can't think of any modern day successful NFL QBs that couldn't even get bowl eligible in college.

25 minutes ago, HouTex said:

One of them went to a team coached by Bill Walsh and the other went to a team coached by Bill Belicheck, who happen to be two of the greatest coaches of all time.  That's not to say that it is all coaching as neither Walsh nor Belicheck ever threw a pass or made a block or tackled someone for a loss, but it sure makes all of the difference when the stars align just right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, HouTex said:

6th round

It's not like there haven't been 10,000+ articles written about Tom Brady over the last 20 years.

47 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Losing !!!

...Jesus Fucking Christ!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Thirded and legit mad they didn't pick Watson with that pick. Watson is great, but Mahomes is better. 

Hell, trade those 2 picks at the draft and who would be better now? Probably Watson no doubt. Buttchin would have Mahomes killed by now. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

That’s a very obese 61. Better get his health in check soon. 

He's as calm as a cucumber

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

6th round

It's not like there haven't been 10,000+ articles written about Tom Brady over the last 20 years.

Losing !!!

...Jesus Fucking Christ!

and you are not....

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm sure there were plenty of folks predicting multiple SB wins for Rodgers, after his first. It's not as easy as Brady/Pats make it look. Lots of shit can happen on and off the field(T Hill) to derail a possible dynasty.

Yep so true. Not only did Rodgers not win another one, he never even got back even once and it's been a decade now. Same can be said for Russell Wilson as well. Windows in the NFL seemingly last 3-4 years for most teams. Some can be consistent and make the playoffs and make some deep runs here and there but besides the Pats, no one goes to the Super Bowl consistently or even makes deep runs consistently. Even QBs who lost and many thought they had so many more years ahead of them to get back. Shit changes fast in this league for most teams aside from the Pats and maybe a few others. NFL isn't a sport where you will have the same SB matchup for 5 years straight like the NBA. I am curious to what the Chiefs look like when Mahomes is paid $40mill a year, not the rookie deal he is on now. How many key pieces around them will be gone due to the salary cap? 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

It just shows how important coaching is and how important going to the right organization is.  Would he be this good if he had gone to Cleveland, Jacksonville, or Detroit?  I don't know, but I doubt that any of those teams as currently constructed would have won a Super Bowl with him. 

When they drafted Mahomes, I was so fucking grateful he went to a solid organization with a corch in Andy Reid who could make Mahomes better.

Of course, even then, you don't imagine this, this fast; but had he gone to the Browns or the Bears or whatever; I would not have been nearly as optimistic.  That's one thing I've always rolled my eyes towards Aaron Rodgers and his draft.  Yeah, you dropped, but you went to a much, much better team.  WGAF, besides your agent, exactly what number you were in the draft?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep so true. Not only did Rodgers not win another one, he never even got back even once and it's been a decade now. Same can be said for Russell Wilson as well. Windows in the NFL seemingly last 3-4 years for most teams. Some can be consistent and make the playoffs and make some deep runs here and there but besides the Pats, no one goes to the Super Bowl consistently or even makes deep runs consistently. Even QBs who lost and many thought they had so many more years ahead of them to get back. Shit changes fast in this league for most teams aside from the Pats and maybe a few others. NFL isn't a sport where you will have the same SB matchup for 5 years straight like the NBA. I am curious to what the Chiefs look like when Mahomes is paid $40mill a year, not the rookie deal he is on now. How many key pieces around them will be gone due to the salary cap? 

I wonder what odds you could have gotten on this day in 1985 that Dan Marino would be never play in another Super Bowl, coming off that incredible season in his second year and with Shula as his coach. (I was a 3rd-grader in '85 and don't recall the details, how the hell did that Patriots team get past Miami and prevent a potentially epic rematch with the Bears? I guess the same way the '98 Falcons ruined a potentially awesome Broncos-Vikings SB...)

Then Elway and Kelly won 7 of the next 9 AFC titles. 

40 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Agree that Mahomes and Reid are a perfect storm but god damn some of yall werent paying attention to Tech when he was there. Funnest 5-7 football team ever, the dude was a straight baller.

Some of these throws are just stupid.....like, literally anyone else would be stupid to even try it.

Forgive us, but 2015-16 were not happy times around here. 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

One of them went to a team coached by Bill Walsh and the other went to a team coached by Bill Belicheck, who happen to be two of the greatest coaches of all time.  That's not to say that it is all coaching as neither Walsh nor Belicheck ever threw a pass or made a block or tackled someone for a loss, but it sure makes all of the difference when the stars align just right.

People seem to always overlook the luck factor in sports in general, but it's really prevalent in football.  It's a team game, but people want to act like one guy and his talent can make all the difference.

Roethlisberger is an ok QB.  He won a SB while being fairly awful because he played for the Steelers with guys like Troy Polamalu on defense. 

Brad Johnson won a SB with the Bucs and Trent fucking Dilfer did it with the Ravens because they got lucky and had All-World defenses.

Meanwhile, Cleveland has killed the careers of many a promising QB because that organization is a shit-show from top to bottom.  If Mahomes goes to Cleveland in the draft he's a nobody who, if he was lucky, gets traded and works his way into a starting role somewhere else.  More than likely he gets the shit pounded out of him and has the Cleveland stink put on him and carries a clipboard for the rest of his career or is out of the league within 5 years. 

If Vince had gotten drafted literally anywhere else, I believe he'd still be in the NFL today.  Instead, as luck would have it, he went to a mediocre to bad organization with the biggest loser shit stain for a HC who specifically hated Vince and didn't want him as his QB.  31-7 record as a starter.  Improved his QB rating year after year.  Got set up and blackballed.  Out of the NFL.  Imagine if Vince had gotten to play for a guy like Reid who wanted him, knew what he could do, and molded an offense around him.  It would have been glorious.   

• Like 9

The dude just put unbelievable stats and had one (if not the most) incredible individual offensive performances (in terms of total yards) in that game against shitstain Mayfield in that classic Mobilehoma game in 2016.  The dude had over 800 yards of total offensive BY HIMSELF!  It's not like he did it against the New Mexico State defense, it was Oklahoma.  The thing most people don't see was his 3rd down stats in that game 20-25!  WTF?  80% on 3rd down?  Plus, he was 2-2 on 4th down.  

Fucking Kliff should be arrested for criminal negligence for not winning more games with Mahomes at Tech.  Yes, I get Kliff doesn't know shit about defense, but still he should have accidentally won 8 games per year with Mahomes.

56 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

If Vince had gotten drafted literally anywhere else, I believe he'd still be in the NFL today.  Instead, as luck would have it, he went to a mediocre to bad organization with the biggest loser shit stain for a HC who specifically hated Vince and didn't want him as his QB.  31-7 record as a starter.  Improved his QB rating year after year.  Got set up and blackballed.  Out of the NFL.  Imagine if Vince had gotten to play for a guy like Reid who wanted him, knew what he could do, and molded an offense around him.  It would have been glorious.   

Like in 2011?

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

People seem to always overlook the luck factor in sports in general, but it's really prevalent in football.  It's a team game, but people want to act like one guy and his talent can make all the difference.

Roethlisberger is an ok QB.  He won a SB while being fairly awful because he played for the Steelers with guys like Troy Polamalu on defense. 

Brad Johnson won a SB with the Bucs and Trent fucking Dilfer did it with the Ravens because they got lucky and had All-World defenses.

Meanwhile, Cleveland has killed the careers of many a promising QB because that organization is a shit-show from top to bottom.  If Mahomes goes to Cleveland in the draft he's a nobody who, if he was lucky, gets traded and works his way into a starting role somewhere else.  More than likely he gets the shit pounded out of him and has the Cleveland stink put on him and carries a clipboard for the rest of his career or is out of the league within 5 years. 

If Vince had gotten drafted literally anywhere else, I believe he'd still be in the NFL today. 

Lol.  Are you high?  Am I correct that you're assuming that Mahomes lucked his way into the Super Bowl?  I think Mahomes is a bit better at the position at 24 than Johnson and Dilfer at any point in their careers, and anyone who saw him at Tech isn't surprised that he went number 10 in the draft.  He played his ass off every game but didn't have a defense at all-at any time in his career.  What you see now is what he can do WITH a defense.  Plus, he can read defenses, which is something that Young never adapted to (which sucks, because he was so athletic).  I think that his ability to run might bite him in the ass, though, which he's going to need to keep in check if he wants to keep playing at this level.  

• Like 1

Mahomes: latest example of legit NFL qb from Texas that did not play at Texas.

How many have there been in the last 20 years? 20? 25? And we missed on every single one of them except for Vince. Nice job.
How many times did he beat texas? Once? Seems that way but not sure.

Also, who cares about the legit qb in HS that didnt play at texas. Drew brees was so good he played at pretty much the worst b1g school, and pat went to tech. Nobody else wanted them either.

Buncha revisionists in here.  LOlz.

Fuck the Diggs comments( Member that one time?).  The VY never had a shot comments( except he did). and fuck the Mahomes just got lucky comments.

That's beauty of winning it all.  That's the substance as being almost universally recognized as the best player in the game, and if you think Tech lost or underachieved because of Pat Mahomes, you don't know shit about football.  There were also a crapton of people who couldn't wait to see what he he would do in that offense, including one Baker Mayfield, whose anticipation was one of a puddle down his fucking leg..  

Yes, luck is an element of it all, but Patrick Mahomes repeatedly does shit that other QBs, his peers in the NFL do not.  It's a mountain of talent, heart, and effort that are in the mix as well that manifested itself in Year 1 when he ran scout team and the 1st team defense would protest shit he was doing against them, as in , "There's no fucking way the guy we're playing this week can do that shit," then he earns an MVP in his 1st year as a starter, and a ring in year 2.  He lead his teams to 3 wins in the post season while overcoming double digit deficits.  When Mahomes finds his groove and turns shit on, he is unstoppable.  That's hard as fuck to do in the NFL.  In fact it has never been done before.  You hear that a lot when discussing Patrick Mahomes, evidently the luckiest guy ever who nobody ever wanted, except some dumbass burnout corch in Kansas City...

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Loose Stool said:

The dude just put unbelievable stats and had one (if not the most) incredible individual offensive performances (in terms of total yards) in that game against shitstain Mayfield in that classic Mobilehoma game in 2016.  The dude had over 800 yards of total offensive BY HIMSELF!  It's not like he did it against the New Mexico State defense, it was Oklahoma.  The thing most people don't see was his 3rd down stats in that game 20-25!  WTF?  80% on 3rd down?  Plus, he was 2-2 on 4th down.  

Fucking Kliff should be arrested for criminal negligence for not winning more games with Mahomes at Tech.  Yes, I get Kliff doesn't know shit about defense, but still he should have accidentally won 8 games per year with Mahomes.

I remember that game. Mahomes played great, but the few times the defense would get a stop the offense would fold. Tech was playing behind the whole time. 

I wonder what happens to Honey Badger and Chris Jones after Mahomes gets his contract. The D was the difference during the Super Bowl run

Honey Badger has 2 more years left on his deal, which gets him to 30. He’s probably affordable as long as he’s useful. Chris Jones is another matter, but probably independent of Mahomes as rumor is he’s after Aaron Donald money. I’d assume he’ll be a franchise and trade candidate.

12 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

He did play with Andy Reid in Philly...He was not blackballed from the NFL. If that happened, he would have never played for another team after Tennessee. 

Let's not act like VY didn't get chances after his Titans stint. Plenty of players go make careers for themselves after their first time. VY did not. 

23 hours ago, Hate said:

And that was mostly my point earlier in the thread where I tried to explain the horrible officiating in the NFL (probably badly) and to a degree last night. Pass interference is comepltely subjective and it's too big a part of the game now.  How many huge games have been decided over the course of the last few seasons by PI calls or no calls?  Too goddamn many.  I also thing that the spot foul is too much on PI calls.  I prefer the college rule of 15 yards.  

Completely agree on the spot foul vs 15 yards. Questionable 50 yard pass interference flags are bullshit. 

Completely agree on the spot foul vs 15 yards. Questionable 50 yard pass interference flags are bullshit. 
If you eliminate spot fouls then the defense well just maul anyone who looks to be breaking free. Safeties will just grab a guy who beats a LB or CB 30+ yds downfield because it's better to give 15 than 30 or a TD.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Modessit said:
4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

If you eliminate spot fouls then the defense well just maul anyone who looks to be breaking free. Safeties will just grab a guy who beats a LB or CB 30+ yds downfield because it's better to give 15 than 30 or a TD.

If that was the case, wouldn't we always see that in college football? 

If that was the case, wouldn't we always see that in college football? 
We do on occasion. But cfb also has worse coaches. For example, our team last year might have done it more often but Orlando usually had our players too out of position to actually interfere with the receivers.

Not only that but nfl pi rules are more strict. Imo they should definitely change it from spot foul. You see it so often they just throw it up on 3rd and long just to try and draw it
They're professional players. If you can't do your job without interfering then you should be penalized. Not much difference in trying to use a hard count to draw someone offsides on 4th and 2. If the defense fucks up, then penalize them for it.

I'd rather see more bitching about uncalled offensive holding than dpi.

They're professional players. If you can't do your job without interfering then you should be penalized. Not much difference in trying to use a hard count to draw someone offsides on 4th and 2. If the defense fucks up, then penalize them for it.

I'd rather see more bitching about uncalled offensive holding than dpi.

A 40 yard penalty vs a 15 yard penalty is the argument

They're professionals. Don't make them play under amateur rules. Might as well go to one foot down for catches and you're down if you go to the ground untouched. College OT rules, etc. Hell, just stop playing defense. Look how it's helped the NBA.

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

and if it's a 15 yarder automatically, get ready for a parade of DPI penalties.  You might as well institute a "5- fouls and you are disqualified" policy.

I like the spot foul at the NFL level.  It serves a purpose.

Just a quick observation about the infamous halftime show. I see a lot of the pearl-clutching moms complaining about "how to I explain it to my children." A lot of these moms also wear yoga pants to the grocery store. I would find it harder to explain to my kids why the lady in the peanut butter aisle wants us to see the outline of her ass. It's much easier to explain bright and shiny outfits and girls dancing vigorously on stage as a part of major concert event. My seven-year-old daughter loved it. She didn't perceive sex, she just saw two pretty girls in flashy outfits dancing their asses off to fun music with a bunch of other people in the background. She blushes more when dudes are at the park playing basketball without their shirts on, but I guess that's not all that big a deal to the pearl-clutching moms. Their larger concern is judging the "hoochies" on TV in fabulous outfits where you could ...gasp ... see their belly buttons and shaking booties!

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just a quick observation about the infamous halftime show. I see a lot of the pearl-clutching moms complaining about "how to I explain it to my children." A lot of these moms also wear yoga pants to the grocery store. I would find it harder to explain to my kids why the lady in the peanut butter aisle wants us to see the outline of her ass. It's much easier to explain bright and shiny outfits and girls dancing vigorously on stage as a part of major concert event. My seven-year-old daughter loved it. She didn't perceive sex, she just saw two pretty girls in flashy outfits dancing their asses off to fun music with a bunch of other people in the background. She blushes more when dudes are at the park playing basketball without their shirts on, but I guess that's not all that big a deal to the pearl-clutching moms. Their larger concern is judging the "hoochies" on TV in fabulous outfits where you could ...gasp ... see their belly buttons and shaking booties!

You and I disagree on a lot of stuff on this board.  Not this, however.

I got chewed out by the wife for replying to someone in a family group chat who asked the "How do I explain it to the chilren" bullshit that they should try being an actual adult about it and parent their kid.  our boys were still kiddos during the H-town wardrobe malfunction and we had  a pretty damned good discussion about how "accidental" it was and how entertainers will do shit to be cutting edge or draw attention to their act.

I like what you said about your daughter's perceptions.   Let them be freaking kids and stop teaching them to lose their minds over trivial shit.  It's still absolutely amazing to me how our society crams violence and mistreatment of others  into virtually every show on TV, but if a kid sees one nipple, they're scarred for life.

Misplaced priorities are misplaced as fuck.

Now back to football...

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Stache.... when your daughters hit their mid teens you're going to have your hands full.  That halftime show was totally out of bounds.  I'm not clutching pearls, I'm just an old man who's been around the block a million times.  Good luck though.

And while I'm at it... get off my lawn.

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Stache.... when your daughters hit their mid teens you're going to have your hands full.  That halftime show was totally out of bounds.  I'm not clutching pearls, I'm just an old man who's been around the block a million times.  Good luck though.

And while I'm at it... get off my lawn.

Hey, if your daughter can have an open conversation with you about the teenage boys’ intentions then neither one of you has to bullshit and you guys can plan for when enough is enough. There aren’t very many guys who will keep going after a firm no, and you’ll be able to tell her the signs of the guy who is likely too stupid to be with your daughter. 

• Like 1

Agree that Mahomes and Reid are a perfect storm but god damn some of yall werent paying attention to Tech when he was there. Funnest 5-7 football team ever, the dude was a straight baller.

Some of these throws are just stupid.....like, literally anyone else would be stupid to even try it.

Agreed. There's a reason Maker Bayfield moved on, and Kliff knew wtf was up.

He was always scary. Quandre not withstanding, that 2015 game was sickening to watch in person.

--Removed Tapatalk sig. Don't want the wrath of Huck.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, Gunsup said:

Lol.  Are you high?  Am I correct that you're assuming that Mahomes lucked his way into the Super Bowl?  I think Mahomes is a bit better at the position at 24 than Johnson and Dilfer at any point in their careers, and anyone who saw him at Tech isn't surprised that he went number 10 in the draft.  He played his ass off every game but didn't have a defense at all-at any time in his career.  What you see now is what he can do WITH a defense.  Plus, he can read defenses, which is something that Young never adapted to (which sucks, because he was so athletic).  I think that his ability to run might bite him in the ass, though, which he's going to need to keep in check if he wants to keep playing at this level.  

Maybe I was unclear.  Mahomes is phenomenal.  Let's not be silly, though.  He has benefited wildly from playing for Andy Reid, an offensive genius who loves passing the ball, and having arguably the best pass-catching TE in the game with Kelce, while also getting to throw to the fastest motherfucker in football in Hill.  You can't seriously tell me he'd be going to Disney World as a SB MVP if he was playing for the fucking Browns.  He's absolutely amazing and is doing crazy fucking things on the field.  If he was playing for Jeff Fisher he'd be handing the ball off 30 times a game, watching as his team kicked a bunch of field goals, and finishing every year at 7-9 . 

My point was, it's a team game.  Everything matters.  You need a GM/front office that aren't idiots and draft/sign well.  You need a HC that knows what the fuck they're doing on game day and how to run the team.  You need an O-line.  No matter how good you and your offense are you need a defense that isn't dead last.  Mahomes at Tech, like you pointed out, proves that point.

Dan Marino was a pretty good QB, right?  Does he have a SB ring?  Nope.  Cause he played for the fucking Dolphins.  Life ain't fair.  Football sure as fuck ain't. 

And to Iceman:  Yes, Vince being in Philly's offense for less than a year behind Vick until he went down and Andy Reid already basically being on the way out is totally Reid building an offense around Vince. 🙄 

LOlz, now you're gonna qualify the remark you were so blatantly incorrect about... Multiple other posters called it out as well.

Stop being all Uncle Rico about Vince Young.  He was what he was in the NFL, but it was not remotely close to  resembling what Patrick Mahomes has done, under the tutelage of one Andy Reid.  Neither did the other QBs who played for him.

Edited by Iceman