Dumbass Shit on Nextdoor

Sbbruin

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm afraid to ask. WTF is that?

It's what the post I quoted was referring to.  This couple put a sign up sheet for 2 months worth of 2 meals per day at the school where my wife teaches.  2 months?!!  

I sign up for them all the time when someone has a death in the immediate family.  But 2 months?  

tenor.gif?itemid=3462003

Not to defend this dumbass shit, but maybe they are just giving plenty of options for any person who might want to, not necessarily laying out an expectation that every spot be filled.

But I don’t understand it either. My wife was cooking in the hospital.

27 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Not to defend this dumbass shit, but maybe they are just giving plenty of options for any person who might want to, not necessarily laying out an expectation that every spot be filled.

But I don’t understand it either. My wife was cooking in the hospital.

It's understandable to give options, and not laying out expectations.  But some of these people are getting so over the top that they'll start calling people out when they don't get their free shit menu filled all the way out.  Kinda like the bridezillas that flip out on their friends that don't want to spend $5k/e to go to their wedding in Zimbabwe or some shit.  I just don't get it. 

I've run a meal train on your mom....wait. 

Meal trains are common round these parts for deaths in the family or major medical issues, etc. Pulled pork in the smoker every time and I've got people in my hood hoping for the grim reaper to show up at their door for their significant others. 

• Like 1

I still don't quite understand what it is.

It was just explained to me by a co-worker as a way to organize meals being donated to someone in need. Normally setup by a friend of the person receiving the donations. I guess so you don't get all of the same thing or something you're allergic to...or maybe just to spread out the meals? Not really sure.

My only experience with something like this was when a family member passed away and friends or neighbors brought over food, usually home made. You got whatever you got though and you thanked them for their generosity.

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:

My only experience with something like this was when a family member passed away and friends or neighbors brought over food, usually home made. You got whatever you got though and you thanked them for their generosity.

This I'm familiar with.

The other thing just seems like a meal plan with a funny name.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

I still don't quite understand what it is.

People have sick relatives/family, a death in the family or family (Dad, Mom) deployed overseas, and USUALLY a friend creates a sign up for people to bring the affected family dinner for a couple/three weeks.   Then friends, church members, etc can sign up to deliver a meal to the family as they deal with the family issue.

I know when I had my "minor" medical situation that it was very helpful to my wife who was worried about me, and then also about making sure the kids lives were minimally affected to have that extra help.  It also makes people feel like they have support and people who care in times of stress which is an ancillary benefit.

It's also nice for people who sincerely want to help (a little) and ask what can they do....Sign up for a meal.

However, it is almost always set up by one of your friends/relatives and it is not something you press people about participating in, you just let people know this is a way to help if they like and they either do or they don't.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

This I'm familiar with.

The other thing just seems like a meal plan with a funny name.

Most people don't usually put up a meal plan.  It's typically managed the same way it was done in the old days.  'The Smiths are bringing dinner Wed, The Taylors on Thurs, and the Johnsons on Fri'.  It's just done online and you also show what you're bringing to them, that way someone doesn't get 4 dinners on a Thursday and 3 of them are pot roast or lasagna.  It works pretty well.

But these fuckstick millennials feel as though they can start one for themselves, and dictate the terms of others' generosity.  Very millennial-ly thing to do.  

• Like 2

Meal Train is just a site for signing up for meals. Just think of it as sign up genius. If you are a coach, you tell the parents I'll send out a sign up genius for snacks and then you go to sign up genius dot com. You don't say I'm going to send a raven for snack sign up. Yes, it is usually done by a friend or neighbor. It is obnoxious to create one for yourself, regardless of circumstance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Meal Train is just a site for signing up for meals. Just think of it as sign up genius. If you are a coach, you tell the parents I'll send out a sign up genius for snacks and then you go to sign up genius dot com. You don't say I'm going to send a raven for snack sign up. Yes, it is usually done by a friend or neighbor. It is obnoxious to create one for yourself, regardless of circumstance.

I'm going to find random sign-ups and fill out every slot.  Then they don't get shit and I will laugh at them.

• Like 5

If a helicopter is flying overhead in the neighborhood, guarantee that within 5 minutes someone will post on Nextdoor asking "DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE HELICOPTER IS CIRCLING OUR NEIGHBORHOOD?"

Then most people will respond, claiming that no they don't know why, but adding that it is "scarey" (sic). 

Eventually someone will suggest that perhaps they are looking for someone who committed a crime 75 miles away, and they'll post a link to the news story about the completely unrelated crime. And now more people will immediately jump in to comment about how "scarey" (sic) it all is. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, TornACL said:

If a helicopter is flying overhead in the neighborhood, guarantee that within 5 minutes someone will post on Nextdoor asking "DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE HELICOPTER IS CIRCLING OUR NEIGHBORHOOD?"

Then most people will respond, claiming that no they don't know why, but adding that it is "scarey" (sic). 

Eventually someone will suggest that perhaps they are looking for someone who committed a crime 75 miles away, and they'll post a link to the news story about the completely unrelated crime. And now more people will immediately jump in to comment about how "scarey" (sic) it all is. 

Ha, exactly.  And if there is a perp on the loose, there is a complete tiptoe around the description.  "Dark curly hair, medium build, etc."  

I still love the snake post the best (at least it was a picture of a rattlesnake).  

129486a1003a7c6733b9ffab7dd4b672.jpeg.ma

"I'm no snake expert, but having seen a Coral snake last year slithering between a neighbors property to ours, I went looking around for info. A helpful website for identifying snakes in Texas is: http://www.whatsnakeisthat.com/category/region/south/texas/ There are a lot of snakes! Your picture seems closest to a Mohave Rattlesnake, though again I know little about snakes."

"Also looks like a Pygmy Rattlesnake, again just based on your picture and those on the website I just posted."

63549cb48e9594ade5ed0b2eb5ff9fe9.jpeg.ma

"Corn snake but could be a juvenile rattle snake? Is the tail yellow??"

"Dekays brown snake. It eats insects and slugs. Harmless."

"I think it is rattle snake"

Thank you Miss Information.

Edited by Jerry Callo

On 4/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, Okie State said:

It was just explained to me by a co-worker as a way to organize meals being donated to someone in need. Normally setup by a friend of the person receiving the donations. I guess so you don't get all of the same thing or something you're allergic to...or maybe just to spread out the meals? Not really sure.

And you made damn sure everybody got their dishes back.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

What I've learned from Nextdoor:

"Every snake is a rattlesnake and every black person in your neighborhood is gonna rape you."

I initially read this as "Every rattlesnake and every black person in your neighborhood is gonna rape you."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deej said:

My favorites are the weekly "My car was broken into last night" posts. Inevitably, they mention the car was unlocked and someone stole everything out of their car that was sitting on the front seat. Go figure.

FIFY

Then the followup "But that doesn't make it right."

Agreed, but it does make you a dumbass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

My favorites are the weekly "My car was broken into last night" posts. Inevitably, they mention the car was unlocked and someone stole everything out of their car. Go figure.

A few weeks ago there were 40 cars broken into overnight.  All unlocked.  The kicker - 5 guns were stolen from those cars.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:29 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I always keep my car unlocked, but I don’t keep anything in it except some change. They can have my change if they don’t fuck up my car.

I always leave mine unlocked for the same reason. You can steal all the change and bullshit I have in my car if you promise not to smash my windows.

People who leave a gun in a car (locked or unlocked) deserve to have them stolen.