Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ironically, the mask reversal, and jackasses thinking we are back to normal, will cause me to stay in more than I otherwise would. I’ll still go to restaurants but will walk out if masks aren’t required until you sit down. I’m getting the vaccine in 3 weeks and am not gonna fuck around until then. 

this is the point idiots simply bemoaning the economy vs. 'muh freedom!' have never understood...masks make the economy BETTER bc more people are comfortable venturing out knowing their fellow citizens are at least doing the bare minimum to contribute to the public good.

braying jackasses.

ETA: to be fair...maybe that's only my perspective, i.e. i certainly felt more comfortable venturing out regularly for non-essential reasons knowing everybody would be masked up. and my money is as green as anybody's.

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think they are direct levers. We have a really stupidly stubborn, defiant populace. I saw it multiple times in Dallas over the summer and in Carmel, CA last August. 

I think you misunderstand my usage? I'm saying it isn't a lever to behavior in that Gov says "Mask On!" and the next day we're all wearing masks, then says "Masks Off" and we toss them. The rest of your comment seems to indicate you agree that is isn'tt?

Fact is folks started wearing masks (and quarantining, distancing, sheltering) before anybody told them to and will likely continue until they decide not to. While some ignore the directive (apparently they are everywhere, I haven't seen any) completely. My favorite beer garden closed before the mandate, and isn't planning on opening any time soon, despite being 80% outdoor seating.

Like law and order debates. Folks clamor for laws to ban something without considering if it will be followed/effective. BAN IT.

They should give more stimulus to retail, grocery workers , gas station employees etc. those that went from no masks to having to wear them suddenly on 8 hr shifts. They suck to wear and those people deserve a bonus
Or we could just vaccinate them.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

I think you misunderstand my usage? I'm saying it isn't a lever to behavior in that Gov says "Mask On!" and the next day we're all wearing masks, then says "Masks Off" and we toss them. The rest of your comment seems to indicate you agree that is isn'tt?

Fact is folks started wearing masks (and quarantining, distancing, sheltering) before anybody told them to and will likely continue until they decide not to. While some ignore the directive (apparently they are everywhere, I haven't seen any) completely. My favorite beer garden closed before the mandate, and isn't planning on opening any time soon, despite being 80% outdoor seating.

Like law and order debates. Folks clamor for laws to ban something without considering if it will be followed/effective. BAN IT.

If you haven’t seen them then you’re not looking very hard or you live in center city somewhere.

I just drove back from Tyler and mask wearing other than the hospital was maybe 50 percent. Maybe.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
They should give more stimulus to retail, grocery workers , gas station employees etc. those that went from no masks to having to wear them suddenly on 8 hr shifts. They suck to wear and those people deserve a bonus

Or we could just vaccinate them.

According to our resident million dollar male nurse, the vaccine means nothing as you can still transmit the disease. 

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

If you haven’t seen them then you’re not looking very hard or you live in center city somewhere.

I just drove back from Tyler and mask wearing other than the hospital was maybe 50 percent. Maybe.

yeah  well thats up from 40.  Good Job Tyler!!

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

According to our resident million dollar male nurse, the vaccine means nothing as you can still transmit the disease. 

It's more accurate to say it as: we don't have data to scientifically demonstrate that a fully vaccinated person cannot transmit or carry COVID if exposed to a sufficiently high viral load. Ultimately, the vaccine is just getting your immune system primed and armed to fight the virus in the same way that actually contracting and beating COVID gives you a considerable degree of protection against future infection.

But since there's ever-increasing strains and it continues to change, is it really that much of a burden to wear a facemask in enclosed areas and when around many other people? It's such a low-cost and effective means to protect yourself and others,  that even with a mandate in place so many people fought (and still fight like @GRHorn) the usage of them is a key contributing factor to why we are in the fuckshow that we're in.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's more accurate to say it as: we don't have data to scientifically demonstrate that a fully vaccinated person cannot transmit or carry COVID if exposed to a sufficiently high viral load. Ultimately, the vaccine is just getting your immune system primed and armed to fight the virus in the same way that actually contracting and beating COVID gives you a considerable degree of protection against future infection.

But since there's ever-increasing strains and it continues to change, is it really that much of a burden to wear a facemask in enclosed areas and when around many other people? It's such a low-cost and effective means to protect yourself and others,  that even with a mandate in place so many people fought (and still fight like @GRHorn) the usage of them is a key contributing factor to why we are in the fuckshow that we're in.

So we should continue to wear masks indefinitely then? Or is there a magic number when it's ok and it just so happens that it's not this number and you'll know when we get there?

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You could do this March 2020 until December?

Oh. You were expecting actual real help for the working class between March 2020 and December?

lol

(no politics)

(politics)

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

So we should continue to wear masks indefinitely then? Or is there a magic number when it's ok and it just so happens that it's not this number and you'll know when we get there?

That data are being collected right now. It’s looking good for decreasing transmission. But right now, we don’t know definitively. Thus health professionals stressing continuing to be vigilant until more people are vaccinated or when we have more data. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I'd say it's when we are no longer concerned with or actively mitigating an outbreak at the very least. Thing is - we are in a relatively high caseload period still. Hospitals aren't falling over and rolling up morgues anymore, but that shouldn't be our signal to stop all the mitigating behavior that put that fire out. 

I just don't get this pathological resentment against wearing a facemask. They provide a real, effective, quantifiable mitigation against the transmission vector for the disease, which is very much still active in the US and Texas in particular. The question you're asking is akin to asking how much longer we have to keep wearing seatbelts since traffic fatalities have been decreasing

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

the magic number is 0 or eleventy billion, whichever we get to first.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ironically, the mask reversal, and jackasses thinking we are back to normal, will cause me to stay in more than I otherwise would. I’ll still go to restaurants but will walk out if masks aren’t required until you sit down. I’m getting the vaccine in 3 weeks and am not gonna fuck around until then. 

Agree 100 percent.  And we’ve told everyone in our offices across Texas that masks are still required.  Our in house counsel is seriously concerned if someone got Covid and we weren’t wearing masks per CDC we’d get sued.  

I am just going to wait until vaccination is widespread to go to restaurants again.  Not worth it.

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Where have I fought it?

Truly don’t understand this huge aversion to wearing a mask.  I don’t see much, if any, “it itches and I’ve got skin inflammation on my ears” it’s pretty much some platitude about freedom, ‘normal’ or personal responsibility.  

It’s almost become second nature and outside movie theaters, sporting events, and concerts/festivals...life is and has been just about normal since maybe July last year.  In fact I miss the totally empty traffic of late March 2020 and seems more people than ever now are out and about.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Truly don’t understand this huge aversion to wearing a mask.  I don’t see much, if any, “it itches and I’ve got skin inflammation on my ears” it’s pretty much some platitude about freedom, ‘normal’ or personal responsibility.  

It’s almost become second nature and outside movie theaters, sporting events, and concerts/festivals...life is and has been just about normal since maybe July last year.  In fact I miss the totally empty traffic of late March 2020 and seems more people than ever now are out and about.  

Do you have to wear yours 8-10 hours a day?  I think these are the people with the real issue.  For everyone else, agreed, not a big deal... but would still much rather not at all

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Do you have to wear yours 8-10 hours a day?  I think these are the people with the real issue.  For everyone else, agreed, not a big deal... but would still much rather not at all

No but that was my point.  I mostly see generic statements about the RIGHT to not wear one, not the actual pain involved.  

• Hook 'Em 2

It's usually said "it's a piece of cloth," and that's it. Not too much conclusive data saying that'll protect you. As @gmr548 (was it him?) study even showed was that it may do so, but still not definitive.  As we can see that states that did lock down don't look too different than the ones that did. Statements from the president saying that we won't open up till next year is just fucking ridiculous and not being able to see family members after the shot is also ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It's usually said "it's a piece of cloth," and that's it. Not too much conclusive data saying that'll protect you. As @gmr548 (was it him?) study even showed was that it may do so, but still not definitive.  As we can see that states that did lock down don't look too different than the ones that did. Statements from the president saying that we won't open up till next year is just fucking ridiculous and not being able to see family members after the shot is also ridiculous. 

Hey, you should read this Duke study complete with graphs and visualizations of the empirical data collected demonstrating the efficacy of cloth masks, testing everything from nothing, to neck gators, to N95 masks.

F3.large.jpg

Basically, more layers is more better, and a tight fit to your face is especially important. Their testing shows that a simple blue surgical mask, worn correctly, does damn near as well as an N95 for stopping droplets, which are the main COVID spreading mechanism

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have about another 6-8 weeks of wearing masks at places that don't require it out of politeness and not wanting to deal with the pearl clutching mask Karens. It will then be time to move on. I don't think cloth masks do much good anyway, especially considering how most dumbfucks wear them.

spacer.png

Here it is. Proof that masks work. All thanks to the sack.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Don’t understand either, but I need to see the science that says wearing a mask while social distancing on the way to your indoor table at a restaurant (where you then take a seat and remove your mask) is safer than walking to your table while social distancing without a mask on?  

*was noted up thread, not you. 

*have not entered a single public place without a mask in a year. 

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

I just don't get this pathological resentment against wearing a facemask. They provide a real, effective, quantifiable mitigation against the transmission vector for the disease, which is very much still active in the US and Texas in particular. The question you're asking is akin to asking how much longer we have to keep wearing seatbelts since traffic fatalities have been decreasing

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

If you are having to wear a mask a long time during the day, I totally get resenting them.   But if you are having to do so, then it most likely means you are exposed to other people, and you want as much protection as possible, and there are masks that are much more comfortable than we had a year ago.

My pre-K and second grader are having to wear masks from around 7:20 through 3pm, so 7 hours a day.   My wife is having wear it from 7am to 4pm.  We made sure to get them comfortable masks.  My kids don't complain - they understand what's going on, that they are helping keep it down, keep them in school, etc.  My wife doesn't bitch about it either - she's helping take care of elderly relatives, and she's keenly aware of their friends who have had it and/or died from it, and 

The thing that really bugs the shit out of me, is a lot of the people I see bitching the loudest on social media or in person are people who are not having to wear them all day.  People I know who are working from home, or who are not even working, who are not spending hours a day around other people/customers/etc.  They are bitching about having to wear them into a store or to see a movie or whatever.

Fucking snowflakes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Don’t understand either, but I need to see the science that says wearing a mask while social distancing on the way to your indoor table at a restaurant (where you then take a seat and remove your mask) is safer than walking to your table while social distancing without a mask on?  

A lot of that seems pretty theatrical and irritates me at times. But I try to consider the reasoning. If someone walked past my table in Covid times maskless and accidentally sneezed near me or my family or in my unlimited breadsticks, I'd be pretty fuckin pissed off. Even if accidental. I assume that's the type of stuff it's trying to prevent even if it seems silly. And it's zero effort to wear one walking around unless you're fat and out of shape.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah meant to add if my 1st grader can wear one all day outside of controlled mask breaks, and my wife can do the same...so can an adult.  I work from home, maybe forever, but think nothing of wearing them whenever I’m shopping, around other people, picking up my kiddos, etc.  My point was people complaining on the basis of freedom and rights, which is complete bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I guess its selective because the Target here offers a  mask to the maskless but dont require it.  Of course we are having a fair and rodeo too lol

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A lot of that seems pretty theatrical and irritates me at times. But I try to consider the reasoning. If someone walked past my table in Covid times maskless and accidentally sneezed near me or my family or in my unlimited breadsticks, I'd be pretty fuckin pissed off. Even if accidental. I assume that's the type of stuff it's trying to prevent even if it seems silly. And it's zero effort to wear one walking around unless you're fat and out of shape.

Like George and the squirrel we need to respect the unwritten rule of stay the fuck away from each other at all times.  People get cut for messing with unlimited breadsticks even though said sticks are unlimited, but I digress  

george costanza seinfeld GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

It's usually said "it's a piece of cloth," and that's it. Not too much conclusive data saying that'll protect you. As [mention=3335]gmr548[/mention] (was it him?) study even showed was that it may do so, but still not definitive.  As we can see that states that did lock down don't look too different than the ones that did. Statements from the president saying that we won't open up till next year is just fucking ridiculous and not being able to see family members after the shot is also ridiculous. 

I’ve posted no such thing.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away