Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thought this was funny from an article. Murray is a doctor on the task force that interfaces with IHME on the model.  supposedly the model will be lowered 

this could read as 'well we thought the dumbass rubes in the South would continue to have huge revivals and church services, but it turns out they didn't.  we don't know why but we are happy the bumpkins stayed away from each other.'

This model was/is a complete sham.

Murray also cited “mobility data” from various groups, including Google, showing southern states implementing “more social distancing than expected," which has helped their forecasts for a lesser spread of the virus.

“And that may be having a benefit and so we may see smaller numbers [of deaths] for a number of the states in the South.”

Meanwhile the smart northern folk in NYC and De-twah are getting hammered...

Is De-twah supposed to be Detroit? Because did you just call the people of Detroit smart? 

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And this sucks for the HS Seniors this year. My kid is re-thinking her school due to this. The cost of GWU vs. an in-state school is pretty substantial. She emailed GW about her dorm fees and they said go ahead, pay and then if things change we can reimburse. 

Absolutely.  It's one thing to be forced to online-schooling for college in the midst of this crisis and make the best of it for the second half of one semester.

It's quite another to go into a new schoolyear and pay for the full experience, but get the online version.  That's going to be a complete non-starter for a huge number of kids-- or their parents that are paying.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Oh, but your football.  Oh never mind.  I get enough neg rep on the non-Texas recruiting thread when we pull another Texas kid.  

there's lots of of them that could play for Virgina so that shouldn't be hard.  but since you mentioned it, you could trade us your basketball coach for us allowing it. 

Let’s not forget. We have some of the smartest fuckers in the world who are from and living in America.

We’re going to knock this shit out.

Whether these guys or the next...this will be a sooner than later IMO.

Gilead stock jumps after report says coronavirus drug trial is going well https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/gilead-stock-surges-after-report-says-coronavirus-drug-trial-shows-encouraging-early-results.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I really don't think 95% of people care about masks.  I'm not wearing one walking around or if I'm not near anyone but I will in a store. most of the grocery stores are going to require them anyway

If you want to go in a store, you'll be wearing one.  I'm not wearing one on my daily jogs, but I have one in my pocket just in case I end up in a situation that requires it.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Absolutely.  It's one thing to be forced to online-schooling for college in the midst of this crisis and make the best of it for the second half of one semester.

It's quite another to go into a new schoolyear and pay for the full experience, but get the online version.  That's going to be a complete non-starter for a huge number of kids-- or their parents that are paying.

I think you will some of these smaller schools fold. Some should have years ago but this will be the breaking point.

We know people who are professors at these type of schools and they seem to be expecting it.

I think those might be true, above a certain age.  But there's also going to be an age division.
Younger people are less fearful (or less careful) by nature, this is a truism.  So regardless of socioeconomic status or political bent, I think the early "outgoers" are going to skew toward the youngest.  High school and college kids, and young professionals.  There are large percentages within these populations that have never really followed non-congregating, shelter-in-place, stay-at-home guidance, anyway.  They'll be the first to go hit the bars and restaurants and movie theaters and retail stores.
I envy those kids-- it's going to be like the Griswolds at Wally World for them.

Exactly this. Throw in the older stubborn generation that will do the same but it be buffets, church, etc.

I think the minority will be those continuing to wear mask while the majority of people say YOLO.

Minority, maybe. I'd buy that we're an a percentile of...lets say 30%. But that's 30% of the population that would be spending out in bars, restaurants, movies, entertainment, etc. That's possibly enough to keep many entertainment venues from break even, which was the point I was attempting to make. We also have the luxury to do that, since I have work flexibility and my wife works at a school, and it's about to be their summer vacation. I don't know how that for us stacks up with the rest of the populace. 

Yeah I could see it being like a 60/40 to 70/30 split with majority not wearing mask and etc

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

there's lots of of them that could play for Virgina so that shouldn't be hard.  but since you mentioned it, you could trade us your basketball coach for us allowing it. 

Lol, Ohio State alum.  But I think you know that.

I'd wear a mask if I could get one.  I had to order a balaclava just to have something to use until I can get a mask.  It won't be here until next week.  I went to HEB today and probably 75% of the people were wearing masks. 

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'd wear a mask if I could get one.  I had to order a balaclava just to have something to use until I can get a mask.  It won't be here until next week.  I went to HEB today and probably 75% of the people were wearing masks. 

100% soon. HEB announced all customers must wear facial coverings. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And this sucks for the HS Seniors this year. My kid is re-thinking her school due to this. The cost of GWU vs. an in-state school is pretty substantial. She emailed GW about her dorm fees and they said go ahead, pay and then if things change we can reimburse. 

Hopefully y’all don’t get screwed like with what CU-Boulder did with the deposits. 

on the other hand, this should be a great year for the CAP program too. Will be easier to focus with all this crazy stuff. 

18 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I think you will some of these smaller schools fold. Some should have years ago but this will be the breaking point.

We know people who are professors at these type of schools and they seem to be expecting it.

Aggy has been preparing to take everything online for years, but for a different reason than any pandemic.

spacer.png

Small private schools have been pricing themselves out of existance for a while. The major, elite private research universities will be fine. GWU is an interesting tweener actually.

34 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Or it could be a lifeline.  Everybody had to rapidly switch over, and so they are going to have the infrastructure (even if it's hosted off-campus), the institutional know-how, and an incoming class of freshmen who finished their high school education online.  And it's nation-wide, so the stigma has been somewhat removed.

If some smaller schools are willing to consider it, they could easily pull in a decent chunk of change, without having to lower their standards much, if any (still only accept kids who make certain scores in high school and on the various entrance exams).  They could always do something where the kids have to visit for so many days a semester (put them up in a hotel or something) and it would still be cheaper than typical living costs.

edit: I'm talking about offering an online program (which some are) for certain majors.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Small private schools have been pricing themselves out of existance for a while. The major, elite private research universities will be fine. GWU is an interesting tweener actually.

GWU won't go away, but I could see it slowing down the undergrad program.  

The point of shutting down was to flatten curve so our healthcare infrastructure wouldn’t get overrun.  If we can start opening up and the risk of not overrunning our hospitals and providers isn’t great, that’s when we should do it.  

Wow what an insightful comment. Are you sure you’re not the smartest man in the world?

34 minutes ago, Deej said:

None of the news stories specify, but it sounds like it's effective immediately. 

I went to Home Depot yesterday to get some repair crap, and they were requiring a mask to enter the store.  A lot of dusty bandannas in that place. 

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I went to Home Depot yesterday to get some repair crap, and they were requiring a mask to enter the store.  A lot of dusty bandannas in that place. 

Dusty bandanas is a euphemism for women in an over-forties nightclub.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Holy shit what are you doing!  going to home depot is not essential!  you are endangering lives!

Covid-Laced Bandannas might be a good band name though...

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A lot of waiving the SAT/ACT and accepting everybody about to happen. When was the last time aggy was ahead of the curve? First 3 quarters of the UCLA game?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GringoSalado said:

Patient zero may have been an employee at a Wuhan lab studying Corona viruses in bats. This seems a more likely source than a virus in a wild bat several hundred miles away somehow finding its way to Wuhan.

I'm goin with bat eatin' chinese mainly because is sounds better than a 22 year old chinese intern accidentally left the lab with a petri dish in his pocket

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

A lot of waiving the SAT/ACT and accepting everybody about to happen. When was the last time aggy was ahead of the curve?

here comes the free college crowd soon I'm sure.  Jimmy(who has a 2.8 and in the 75th percentile) could have gotten a 1600 and a free ride but he didn't get a chance to take it due to corona.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

World

4/15/2020

Confirmed cases - 2,086,477

Deaths - 138,619

CFR - 6.6%

United States

4/15/2020

Confirmed cases - 648,148

Deaths - 32,588

CFR - 5.0%

Somnio is obsessed with the idea of the CFR going ‘up’. It’s weird - he’s done this multiple times.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Patient zero may have been an employee at a Wuhan lab studying Corona viruses in bats. This seems a more likely source than a virus in a wild bat several hundred miles away somehow finding its way to Wuhan.

Maybe, but I was told the Congress Avenue bridge bats travel hundreds of miles every night.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

here comes the free college crowd soon I'm sure.  Jimmy(who has a 2.8 and in the 75th percentile) could have gotten a 1600 and a free ride but he didn't get a chance to take it due to corona.  

Way more about colleges trying to not go under and needing any revenue than politics.

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

A lot of waiving the SAT/ACT and accepting everybody about to happen. When was the last time aggy was ahead of the curve? First 3 quarters of the UCLA game?

Automatic acceptance for anyone testing positive for COVID antibodies.

11 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

i'm having trouble understanding your reasoning.  the wet market - where people eat bats - is blocks away from the Wuhan lab.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away