Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Because we don’t have many people with symptoms compared to other states. So less people go in for testing.  There are tests everywhere if you want one.  Are testers supposed to go house to house and knock on doors?
Given our death rates, I’d say the main reason we aren’t testing is because so few people in Texas have it. 

heat.  Humidity.  Big and spread out.  

Yeah cause everyone with symptoms has been able to get a test? Lol
  • Like 1

Because we don’t have many people with symptoms compared to other states. So less people go in for testing.  There are tests everywhere if you want one.  Are testers supposed to go house to house and knock on doors? Given our death rates, I’d say the main reason we aren’t testing is because so few people in Texas have it. 

heat.  Humidity.  Big and spread out.  

Yea dunno. Texas has the second most people (by large margin) and is 47th in tests per capacity but 4th in total tests. https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/covid-19-testing/

No idea how big of a difference is from 12.1-> national average of 20

Looks like almost 215 fewer daily tests than what the national average would give you.

Trying to make sense of this disease is like looking at an optical illusion. On the one hand there is the testing which took place in several prisons, involving thousands of inmates who tested positive for the virus, 96% of whom showed no symptoms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-prisons-testing-in/in-four-u-s-state-prisons-nearly-3300-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-96-without-symptoms-idUSKCN2270RX

On the other hand there are stories like these. A person contracts the virus, develops greater-than-mild symptoms  (couldn’t leave her bed for 3 days) then passes the disease to people close to her, who also develop serious symptoms (both her parents were diagnosed with pneumonia).

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/05/01/minnesota-familys-illnesses-suggest-coronavirus-may-have-been-here-longer-than-thought

What could explain this discrepancy? Seems like there are three possibilities.

1) different strains of the virus

2) genetic component – something specific about the family in the 2nd story predisposed them to getting seriously sick

3) severity of initial exposure (viral load)

Edited by Bruno Sardine
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah cause everyone with symptoms has been able to get a test? Lol

Yes. They can. Half the doc in box places have them now.  Shit there was one advertising tests near my house a month ago in Houston before I left.  So if you want a test, go to Weslayan and Bissonett to the doc in the box next to Walgreens.  

There is more supply of tests in Texas than there is demand.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

China covertly stockpiled as much PPE as they could get their hands on prior to notifying the world about how bad the coronavirus was.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6858818/coronavirus-china-united-front-canada-protective-equipment-shortage/

Shaka: “Our opponents stockpiled as many points as they could get their hands on prior to the game.”

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

As to your new argument, 1) we know that New York's average weekly Corona virus deaths in April were at least 2x what it sees normally for all causes and 1.5x the largest weekly death total from the last 7 years. And 2) we know that the reported Corona virus deaths make up the bulk of excess deaths in New York, at least through early April (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html). So, even if every other excess death in New York was caused from something other than covid-19, it would still be a fraction of covid-19 deaths. That suggests to me that covid-19 is the more serious issue at the moment.

Something to consider as well:  I don’t know how you’d find these stats, and I’m speculating, but given the lockdown/SIP stuff, there should have been a lower number of deaths due to things like traffic/pedestrian accidents, etc. which means that the covid deaths are even higher than the spikes imply.

Trying to make sense of this disease is like looking at an optical illusion. On the one hand there is the testing which took place in several prisons, involving thousands of inmates who tested positive for the virus, 96% of whom showed no symptoms.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-prisons-testing-in/in-four-u-s-state-prisons-nearly-3300-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-96-without-symptoms-idUSKCN2270RX
On the other hand there are stories like these. A person contracts the virus, develops greater-than-mild symptoms  (couldn’t leave her bed for 3 days) then passes the disease to people close to her, who also develop serious symptoms (both her parents were diagnosed with pneumonia).
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/05/01/minnesota-familys-illnesses-suggest-coronavirus-may-have-been-here-longer-than-thought
2) genetic component – something specific about the family in the 2nd story predisposed them to getting seriously sick
I have thought from the beginning it is a combo of 2 and 3.

Son was just cited for walking his dog in a san marcos park that was closed. He lives on the park so it is an extenision of his back yard. River access, etc. no booze, weed or GF in a bikini. He calls me and I ask to speak to the officer. Told him good on you. Cite the little dude and let me know how I can buy you a beer. 

Recon last night. Very few places were open. Recon today. Only the farmers market. 

Looks like the businesses we are locking down.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

So did anyone dine-in at a restaurant last night?  I'm curious to hear how it went. 

11:10 am i went to salt grass (not because I like it but because it was one of the few places open). 

All the wait staff was wearing masks- everyone was very friendly- they seemed happy to be there. Joked around with the host and the waiter- capacity was clearly less than 25% (but that could have been Because it was 11:10 am- there weren’t any tables roped off but they also weren’t sitting people next to each other) at the time I was there. 

I paid $50 for a mediocre ribeye ($28 for the steak 22 for the tip) ate paid and left inside of 30 minutes and walked out to a glorious blue sky and sun shining and comfortable temperature. It was the best day I’ve had in some time (went to work for 3rd time in 2 months- I have an office by myself that’s entirely self contained with nobody around me- but hadn’t been going to work in solidarity with wife to take care of the kids- but my limit has been reached). 

Probably won’t go out again to eat until it’s with my family and more restaurants open, but I wanted to take advantage on the first day I could. 

• Like 6

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

11:10 am i went to salt grass (not because I like it but because it was one of the few places open). 

All the wait staff was wearing masks- everyone was very friendly- they seemed happy to be there. Joked around with the host and the waiter- capacity was clearly less than 25% (but that could have been Because it was 11:10 am- there weren’t any tables roped off but they also weren’t sitting people next to each other) at the time I was there. 

I paid $50 for a mediocre ribeye ($28 for the steak 22 for the tip) ate paid and left inside of 30 minutes and walked out to a glorious blue sky and sun shining and comfortable temperature. It was the best day I’ve had in some time (went to work for 3rd time in 2 months- I have an office by myself that’s entirely self contained with nobody around me- but hadn’t been going to work in solidarity with wife to take care of the kids- but my limit has been reached). 

Probably won’t go out again to eat until it’s with my family and more restaurants open, but I wanted to take advantage on the first day I could. 

good thing we have a wreath fund. Who is in charge of it? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I have thought from the beginning it is a combo of 2 and 3.

Me too, with virus load being the biggest likely differentiator. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Son was just cited for walking his dog in a san marcos park that was closed. He lives on the park so it is an extenision of his back yard. River access, etc. no booze, weed or GF in a bikini. He calls me and I ask to speak to the officer. Told him good on you. Cite the little dude and let me know how I can buy you a beer. 

Recon last night. Very few places were open. Recon today. Only the farmers market. 

Seems like it would be safer for everyone if the officer kept his distance and did not cite anyone. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

good thing we have a wreath fund. Who is in charge of it? 

I’ve got life insurance. My family will have to middle through on $1,000,000 and my maxed out SSI survivors benefits. They will be ok in the 0.05% likelihood I die (50/50 chance of getting it and 0.1% chance of death. I like my odds at 1/200)

Honestly if you gave me the choice I think I’d just as soon choose to get it now and be done with it then let this thing run it’s course. I figure we are all getting it at sometime (40-70% anyway) and I’d just as soon get it now and be done with it, quarantine myself- not be a spreader etc). 

• Like 5

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

Seems like it would be safer for everyone if the officer kept his distance and don’t cite anyone. 

nope. follow local law. he can dive in the river. he can sit on the bank. he cannot go to the park. Simple. 

The officer was doing his job. Like it or not. 

• Like 4

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve got life insurance. My family will have to middle through on $1,000,000 and my maxed out SSI survivors benefits. They will be ok in the 0.05% likelihood I die (50/50 chance of getting it and 0.1% chance of death. I like my odds at 1/200)

Honestly if you gave me the choice I think I’d just as soon choose to get it now and be done with it then let this thing run it’s course. I figure we are all getting it at sometime (40-70% anyway) and I’d just as soon get it now and be done with it, quarantine myself- not be a spreader etc). 

Spreader like south Austins mom I assume? 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve been in south Texas for over a month.  I can tell you right now the little town nearby has stricter requirements than Houston.  You want groceries over the last few weeks you aren’t getting them unless you wear a mask or face cover.  

yeah but how are the rubes doin' in church because you know small town means snake charmin church goin' rubes

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

id like a test to see if I have swine anitbodies...

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Spreader like south Austins mom I assume? 

No one wants to be a spreader like south Austin’s mom. If I’m going to get it at some point in time as I suspect I will I’d rather do it responsibly now (have it- low viral load- immediately quarantine myself)and get it over with. 

My parents made me get chicken pox when I was a kid. Not an exact analogy but conceptually similar.  Immunocapital as bozo keeps talking about. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

See that potter county reported 112 new cases today.  That would be the equivalent of Harris County reporting 4500 cases. Sounds like a serious issue in Amarillo.  Are there some old folks homes or meat packing plants that are leading to the high numbers?

Meat packing plants out in the panhandle. They bus a bunch of people from Amarillo out there. 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So the CDC just erased 29,000covid deaths from their stats.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

I've been looking at that chart. lots of presumin' goin' on round here...interestingly the CDC is now starting to update on a weekend.  the main page shows 64k deaths. I'd guess 6 to 6.5 are maybe's.  they still won't put the maybe's number back. I'm still not sure why they took it off.

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Restaurant shaming is going to become a thing isn’t it. 

I’m sure it will be. We can’t disagree with each other anymore we have to hate each other and assign evil motives to each other’s thoughts/beliefs/actions. I’m complying with all legalities in everything I do- along with abiding by 6 foot social distancing guidelines and hand washing and the line.  I’m sure that won’t be enough for many and I will be told I’m a callous and unfeeling piece of shit. The waiter seemed to enjoy serving me and I’d bet he probably liked his 80% tip and was happy to get back to work, and I was happy to be at the restaurant but I’m sure neither of those things matters to some and it’s a mark of shame I went out to dine in before they deemed it appropriate. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Meat packing plants out in the panhandle. They bus a bunch of people from Amarillo out there. 

On the viral load and meat packing plant note, the areas with packing plants with all sorts of folks testing positive aren’t seeing a huge surge in hospitalizations after the first wave. Likely because it’s a generally younger and fit workforce with the older workers in less strenuous roles. The Grand Island area saw a surge at first but it also had nursing home our breaks, which I’m sure tied together because cleaning staff at the nursing homes and the plant labor force overlap at home 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

See that potter county reported 112 new cases today.  That would be the equivalent of Harris County reporting 4500 cases. Sounds like a serious issue in Amarillo.  

Do your math with Moore Co. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

nope. follow local law. he can dive in the river. he can sit on the bank. he cannot go to the park. Simple. 

The officer was doing his job. Like it or not. 

Sounds like you’ve got a real “law breaker” there. Better disown him now before he sully’s the family name. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

So did anyone dine-in at a restaurant last night?  I'm curious to hear how it went. 

I went to a local texmex joint with a couple guys last night for food and booze. The servers and hostesses all had masks on along with the bartender. Owner and a few others did not as well as most of the customers dining in. Most of the people picking up to go did have one on and certainly looked judgy/bitter.

They had us alternating tables and reduced chairs at bigger tables I’m sure to help keep up with occupancy limits. People looked generally happy to do something quasi normal.

I’ll add that it seems fucking retarded to wear a mask into a dine in restaurant with a mask and then immediately take it off when you sit down. Saw some fucktards try taking it off and putting it back on multiple times when they first got there which obviously defeats the purpose. But by the time their queso came they were done with the masks and never put them back on.  Tequila shots are better than I remember.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I can't make any judgment on this until you post pics of son's girlfriend in her bikini.

• Like 2

Yes. They can. Half the doc in box places have them now.  Shit there was one advertising tests near my house a month ago in Houston before I left.  So if you want a test, go to Weslayan and Bissonett to the doc in the box next to Walgreens.  

There is more supply of tests in Texas than there is demand.  

We can't test all of our medical workers and cities are out here saying they need more tests but the urgent care by my house says they have them* so we good!

*I am sure there are no limitations on who or how many they can test too!

Restaurant shaming is going to become a thing isn’t it. 

I’m sure it will be. We can’t disagree with each other anymore we have to hate each other and assign evil motives to each other’s thoughts/beliefs/actions. I’m complying with all legalities in everything I do- along with abiding by 6 foot social distancing guidelines and hand washing and the line.  I’m sure that won’t be enough for many and I will be told I’m a callous and unfeeling piece of shit. The waiter seemed to enjoy serving me and I’d bet he probably liked his 80% tip and was happy to get back to work, and I was happy to be at the restaurant but I’m sure neither of those things matters to some and it’s a mark of shame I went out to dine in before they deemed it appropriate. 

Probably not, but I'll definitely shame you for a victim complex that'd make aggy proud.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Apparently we have folks protesting keeping the Smithfield packing plant in Crete, NE along with talk of a walkout on the Saturday shift. They kept it open on half shifts instead of the two week cleaning and restart hinted at earlier in the week 

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We can't test all of our medical workers and cities are out here saying they need more tests but the urgent care by my house says they have them* so we good!

*I am sure there are no limitations on who or how many they can test too!

Probably not, but I'll definitely shame you for a victim complex that'd make aggy proud.

No victim complex here man. Just describing what’s going to happen/is happening. For me to have a victim complex I’d have to give a shit. I feel sad for people who live their lives that way. It’s their loss and not mine. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Dallas update:

“restaurants” opened up Friday for 25% capacity. Katy Trail Ice House had been doing takeout but opened up by removing tables for social distancing. Place was totally “full” yesterday at the new allowed amount, although the cops were called to check out things.

Today, seating is closed down. they have 79% sales alcohol. It’s technically a bar and cannot be open for seating. Back to takeout only. So that lasted all of two days.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Cactus, Texas, bitches.

Dare you to pull demographics on it...

I don't have to look it up....been through there many times....the socioeconomic situation there isn't the best. A tornado tore through there in 2007 and made short work of the barrio type structures in the town

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Went out in Austin to make grocery/booze run. 

There were a lot of people out and about. 

Yeah, did our curbside HEB pickup, we saw a couple of lifted trucks with 7 or 8 20-somethings getting out of them and laughing and asking people if they had to wear masks or something, and they were all clustering together.  And two of them had aggy t-shirts.  Not what I pictured of your typical students for an online university.  Or maybe they were representative of it.  Sure there's an aggy joke hiding around there somewhere.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

There's a "Pro-Care" or whatever rehab place in our neighborhood, looks like mostly sports injuries and the like.

Some dipshit(s) spray painted in large letters across the back

"I'LL STAY HOME" and 

"FUCK YOUR STOCK PORTFOLIO" with a crude stock chart showing the drops.  Great for the neighborhood families out on walks/bike rides.

Probably some dipshit who is already mostly living at mommy and daddy's home.  And they've managed to cause the business or property owner to have to spend money on covering it.

Given our neighborhood though, somebody probably caught the person on a security camera, since everybody loves their Ring doorbell cameras, and gabbing about strangers walking through the area.

4 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Seems like it would be safer for everyone if the officer kept his distance and did not cite anyone. 

Yeah, except there were about 500 people at the park after this. Just spoke with Boy. Laws are laws man. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's a "Pro-Care" or whatever rehab place in our neighborhood, looks like mostly sports injuries and the like.

Some dipshit(s) spray painted in large letters across the back

"I'LL STAY HOME" and 

"FUCK YOUR STOCK PORTFOLIO" with a crude stock chart showing the drops.  Great for the neighborhood families out on walks/bike rides.

Probably some dipshit who is already mostly living at mommy and daddy's home.  And they've managed to cause the business or property owner to have to spend money on covering it.

Given our neighborhood though, somebody probably caught the person on a security camera, since everybody loves their Ring doorbell cameras, and gabbing about strangers walking through the area.

Here in Portland there's a lot of rent strike graffiti

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away