CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I think that doubling time would be the more relevant statistic here. 

That, and in those first 99 days there were way more cases than that. We just couldn’t test for them. This whole thing is just a shitshow of bad data.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I have now lost confidence in Fauci as a man, and I demand we put John Rocker in charge of the fight against Covid.

With Surgeon General Kenny "Fucking" Powers?  

"I got my pitch back!" 

Also. While New York (March 1reported) and Texas (March 4 reported) are not that far apart on their first COVID cases, a couple of differences: Texas' first case was from someone direct from Wuhan while the NY case was a traveler returning from Iran. So much travel was funneled through NY and combined with the more potent strain that began pouring through their terminals and their learning curve lagged behind the rapidity of the spread. Texas didn't have the same issue, IMO. If we did not learn from NY, then we are absolute idiots.
To be clear, that was the first confirmed case. This shit was here much earlier than that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

To be clear, that was the first confirmed case. This shit was here much earlier than that.

I'm pretty sure I may have had it in late January-early February.  I flew to Boston and back mid January and all 4 flights were packed.  Plus, I transferred planes at O'Hare each time, so you know how crowded that place is.

By the end of the month, I had a cold/whatnot.  I just figured it was the flu.  Maybe it wasn't Covid, but the timing works out.  It was the only time during fall-winter that I felt remotely ill.

UT study says lockdowns were not a predictor of death of COVID-19 but being a fatass is.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30208-X/fulltext

Findings

Increasing COVID-19 caseloads were associated with countries with higher obesity (adjusted rate ratio [RR]=1.06; 95%CI: 1.01–1.11), median population age (RR=1.10; 95%CI: 1.05–1.15) and longer time to border closures from the first reported case (RR=1.04; 95%CI: 1.01–1.08). 
Increased mortality per million was significantly associated with higher obesity prevalence (RR=1.12; 95%CI: 1.06–1.19) and per capita gross domestic product (GDP) (RR=1.03; 95%CI: 1.00–1.06). Reduced income dispersion reduced mortality (RR=0.88; 95%CI: 0.83–0.93) and the number of critical cases (RR=0.92; 95% CI: 0.87–0.97). Rapid border closures, full lockdowns, and wide-spread testing were not associated with COVID-19 mortality per million people. However, full lockdowns (RR=2.47: 95%CI: 1.08–5.64) and reduced country vulnerability to biological threats (i.e. high scores on the global health security scale for risk environment) (RR=1.55; 95%CI: 1.13–2.12) were significantly associated with increased patient recovery rates.

The US and South Korea had their first Covid-19 case on the same day.

South Korea has more than double the population of Florida.

More people have died the last 2 days in Florida than have died through the entire pandemic in South Korea.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 7/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:
Also. While New York (March 1reported) and Texas (March 4 reported) are not that far apart on their first COVID cases, a couple of differences: Texas' first case was from someone direct from Wuhan while the NY case was a traveler returning from Iran. So much travel was funneled through NY and combined with the more potent strain that began pouring through their terminals and their learning curve lagged behind the rapidity of the spread. Texas didn't have the same issue, IMO. If we did not learn from NY, then we are absolute idiots.

I agree. The experts that commented early in 2020 about always being behind viral spread is spot on, but given the sheer amount of travel through NY specifically it is a way to show how NY didn't stand a chance in that respect. Their first reported case wasn't even from China. Which begs the question of how many cases from China already had traveled to New York and were not ever noticed?

Goat Rodeo

A new C.D.C. statement on schools calls for reopening and downplays the potential health risks.
The top U.S. public health agency issued a full-throated call to reopen schools in a package of new “resources and tools” posted on its website Thursday night that opened with a statement that sounded more like a political speech than a scientific document, listing numerous benefits for children of being in school and downplaying the potential health risks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published the new guidance two weeks after President Trump criticized its earlier recommendations on school reopenings as “very tough and expensive,” ramping up what had already been an anguished national debate over the question of how soon children should return to classrooms. As the president was criticizing the initial C.D.C. recommendations, a document from the agency surfaced that detailed the risks of reopening and the steps that districts were taking to minimize those risks.

“Reopening schools creates opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of one of America’s greatest assets — our children — while taking every precaution to protect students, teachers, staff and all their families,” the new opening statement said.

The package of materials began with the opening statement, titled “The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools This Fall,” and repeatedly described children as being at low risk for being infected by or transmitting the coronavirus, even though the science on both aspects is far from settled.

“The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms,” the statement said. “At the same time, the harms attributed to closed schools on the social, emotional, and behavioral health, economic well-being, and academic achievement of children, in both the short- and long-term, are well-known and significant.”

While children infected by the virus are at low risk of becoming severely ill or dying, how often they become infected and how efficiently they spread the virus to others is not definitively known. Children in middle and high schools may also be at much higher risk of both than those under 10, according to some recent studies.

Beyond the statement, the package included decision tools and checklists for parents, guidance on mitigation measures for schools to take and other information that some epidemiologists described as helpful.

The new materials are meant to supplement guidance the C.D.C. previously issued on when and how to reopen schools, with recommendations such as keeping desks six feet apart and keeping children in one classroom all day instead of allowing them to move around.

The new statement released on Thursday is a stark departure from the 69-page document, obtained by The New York Times earlier this month, marked “For Internal Use Only,” which was intended for federal public health response teams to have as they are deployed to hot spots around the country.

That document classified as “highest risk” the full reopening of schools, and its suggestions for mitigating the risk of school reopenings would be expensive and difficult for many districts, like broad testing of students and faculty and contact tracing to find people exposed to an infected student or teacher.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

“The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms,” the statement said. “At the same time, the harms attributed to closed schools on the social, emotional, and behavioral health, economic well-being, and academic achievement of children, in both the short- and long-term, are well-known and significant.”

Parent of first dead COVID kid infected at school: Why God?! WHY!!!???!!!!!

CDC: The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms

Parent of first dead COVID kid infected at school: Oh. Well when you put it that way, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree. The experts that commented early in 2020 about always being behind viral spread is spot on, but given the sheer amount of travel through NY specifically it is a way to show how NY didn't stand a chance in that respect. Their first reported case wasn't even from China. Which begs the question of how many cases from China already had traveled to New York and were not ever noticed?

Most likely, thousands at the very least.

I got sick right after Chinese New Year (January 28).  I lost my sense of taste and smell the following week.  It was relatively quick for me (I was pretty much fully recovered by Feb 9 when I flew to Copenhagen for work via London), but I had a lingering cough for weeks.  I never ran a fever, but that Friday, January 31, I felt completely knocked down and exhausted.  

Did I have COVID?  Who the fuck knows, there was no testing.  But we have had people we know, and in my own office, test positive for antibodies, so I wouldn't be shocked if I did.  

And we know it was in the community when the Westchester lawyer came down with it as the second case with no travel or contact history to infected places.  I wish we would do the sewage tests like Italy has done.

22 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Most likely, thousands at the very least.

I got sick right after Chinese New Year (January 28).  I lost my sense of taste and smell the following week.  It was relatively quick for me (I was pretty much fully recovered by Feb 9 when I flew to Copenhagen for work via London), but I had a lingering cough for weeks.  I never ran a fever, but that Friday, January 31, I felt completely knocked down and exhausted.  

Did I have COVID?  Who the fuck knows, there was no testing.  But we have had people we know, and in my own office, test positive for antibodies, so I wouldn't be shocked if I did.  

And we know it was in the community when the Westchester lawyer came down with it as the second case with no travel or contact history to infected places.  I wish we would do the sewage tests like Italy has done.

Yup.  Very weird and overbearing chest tightness first for me, then for my husband, starting 2 days after I got back from a work trip to New Orleans in March, which we were to find out had become a hot spot the week before I was there.  Did have a cough for a few days, and that chest tightness reminded me of bad asthma attacks I used to have as a kid, but that I haven't had in 30 years.  I was there with a bunch of colleagues though, like 30 of us, and no one else mentioned anything at all, so maybe it was just super shitty allergies....That's the shitty thing, our response has been so bad that there are thousands of people like us, who think we may have gotten it, but will never know, so if there are long term implications we can't take those into account when planning our health care requirements.  

The fact that we still are in the same boat as we were in March would be inconceivable for me with any other leaders we've ever had in our entire history as a country. It's perfectly believable with our current moron in charge, but it's still hard for me to wrap my head around why we as a country seem so willing to put up with this.  I've now spent 4 months in my house and see no end in sight.  

14 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

A little of this a little of that.

Except the rush to reopen killed the economy further and ensured a prolong economic hit. Opening schools will do the same thing. Schools across the country will open, 50+ million kids and another 7-8 million teachers/workers/bus drivers will rapidly get exposed, a massive surge in cases resulting in busting the health care system even worse with a ton of hospitalizations and several kid deaths within a month or so. Then it all gets shut back down and goes online. 

how many times do people have to burn their hand at the Republican stove to know they will get you fucking killed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Except the rush to reopen killed the economy further and ensured a prolong economic hit. Opening schools will do the same thing. Schools across the country will open, 50+ million kids and another 7-8 million teachers/workers/bus drivers will rapidly get exposed, a massive surge in cases resulting in busting the health care system even worse with a ton of hospitalizations and several kid deaths within a month or so. Then it all gets shut back down and goes online. 

how many times do people have to burn their hand at the Republican stove to know they will get you fucking killed.  

Apparently 100's, because it happens a lot, and we still don't learn.

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

The US and South Korea had their first Covid-19 case on the same day.

South Korea has more than double the population of Florida.

More people have died the last 2 days in Florida than have died through the entire pandemic in South Korea.

And that doesn't take into account the population density of their cities versus anything in Florida, hell, anything in the US really. They also rely heavily on mass transit, they fucking pack those subway cars.  

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

UT study says lockdowns were not a predictor of death of COVID-19 but being a fatass is.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30208-X/fulltext

Findings

Increasing COVID-19 caseloads were associated with countries with higher obesity (adjusted rate ratio [RR]=1.06; 95%CI: 1.01–1.11), median population age (RR=1.10; 95%CI: 1.05–1.15) and longer time to border closures from the first reported case (RR=1.04; 95%CI: 1.01–1.08). 
Increased mortality per million was significantly associated with higher obesity prevalence (RR=1.12; 95%CI: 1.06–1.19) and per capita gross domestic product (GDP) (RR=1.03; 95%CI: 1.00–1.06). Reduced income dispersion reduced mortality (RR=0.88; 95%CI: 0.83–0.93) and the number of critical cases (RR=0.92; 95% CI: 0.87–0.97). Rapid border closures, full lockdowns, and wide-spread testing were not associated with COVID-19 mortality per million people. However, full lockdowns (RR=2.47: 95%CI: 1.08–5.64) and reduced country vulnerability to biological threats (i.e. high scores on the global health security scale for risk environment) (RR=1.55; 95%CI: 1.13–2.12) were significantly associated with increased patient recovery rates.

When you’re fat whatever vitamin D you actually get, which is probably not enough anyway,  gets stuck in your fat instead of reaching your blood. 

When you’re vitamin D deficient in your blood your ability to ward off viruses gets greatly diminished. 

When your ability to ward off viruses gets greatly diminished and you get the COVID, instead of getting sick, you more often die. 

America in general is fatter than the rest of the world. Ergo a greater number of COVID deaths because our government is so fucking incompetent they are making sure as many people get it as possible as quickly as possible. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Goat Rodeo

A new C.D.C. statement on schools calls for reopening and downplays the potential health risks.
The top U.S. public health agency issued a full-throated call to reopen schools in a package of new “resources and tools” posted on its website Thursday night that opened with a statement that sounded more like a political speech than a scientific document, listing numerous benefits for children of being in school and downplaying the potential health risks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published the new guidance two weeks after President Trump criticized its earlier recommendations on school reopenings as “very tough and expensive,” ramping up what had already been an anguished national debate over the question of how soon children should return to classrooms. As the president was criticizing the initial C.D.C. recommendations, a document from the agency surfaced that detailed the risks of reopening and the steps that districts were taking to minimize those risks.

“Reopening schools creates opportunity to invest in the education, well-being, and future of one of America’s greatest assets — our children — while taking every precaution to protect students, teachers, staff and all their families,” the new opening statement said.

The package of materials began with the opening statement, titled “The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools This Fall,” and repeatedly described children as being at low risk for being infected by or transmitting the coronavirus, even though the science on both aspects is far from settled.

While children infected by the virus are at low risk of becoming severely ill or dying, how often they become infected and how efficiently they spread the virus to others is not definitively known. Children in middle and high schools may also be at much higher risk of both than those under 10, according to some recent studies.

Beyond the statement, the package included decision tools and checklists for parents, guidance on mitigation measures for schools to take and other information that some epidemiologists described as helpful.

The new materials are meant to supplement guidance the C.D.C. previously issued on when and how to reopen schools, with recommendations such as keeping desks six feet apart and keeping children in one classroom all day instead of allowing them to move around.

The new statement released on Thursday is a stark departure from the 69-page document, obtained by The New York Times earlier this month, marked “For Internal Use Only,” which was intended for federal public health response teams to have as they are deployed to hot spots around the country.

That document classified as “highest risk” the full reopening of schools, and its suggestions for mitigating the risk of school reopenings would be expensive and difficult for many districts, like broad testing of students and faculty and contact tracing to find people exposed to an infected student or teacher.

there isn't an issue as long as we keep all adults at home, and just let the kids handle this.

the 4th graders can teach the 3rd graders, and so on.  they're perfectly qualified and have just recently consumed the curriculum, so it's win-win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there isn't an issue as long as we keep all adults at home, and just let the kids handle this.

the 4th graders can teach the 3rd graders, and so on.  they're perfectly qualified and have just recently consumed the curriculum, so it's win-win. 

I, for one, am reassured by this statement from the CDC as they used the phrase, "far less likely," instead of the oft over-used phrase, "vast majority." What a wonderful improvement. I feel so much better now!

someone can crunch the numbers, but even at the "far less likely" and "reduced risk" and all the others, there's still a very small fatality % that they're admitting, right?

if 250 kids end up really sick or dying (the equivalent of what, 100 school shooting incidents?) then i'm sure people will be cool with it.

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Get those little consumers back out there!!!

in response to the top tweet, which is it?  either the intel is unverified, or you won't get into the details of a private call.  choose one, you imbecile.

in response to the bottom tweet, putting aside the horrifying mistreatment of the word "essential" over the past 5 months, are they really arguing that they have to open schools because child abuse cases are up? 

i'm sure domestic abuse of all kinds is up.  depression is up.  alcoholism is up.  netflix subscriptions are up.  we're trapped in our houses.  if only there was some sort of leadership in place in february that felt like taking action, seems like we could be past this by now.  thanks, biden.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

someone can crunch the numbers, but even at the "far less likely" and "reduced risk" and all the others, there's still a very small fatality % that they're admitting, right?

if 250 kids end up really sick or dying (the equivalent of what, 100 school shooting incidents?) then i'm sure people will be cool with it.

This is just like Trump’s stance on re-opening. He tells everyone that it can’t happen soon enough. Local officials and state governments actually listen, and when people die, he can deny responsibility. Same with schools. 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Are we killing kids to get the economy going or own the libs? It’s hard to tell anymore. 

We are killing kids because we are greedy and love power more than honor

Edited by ruitxn

52 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

By age there have been 11 deaths under the age of 1 from COVID, 9 deaths between 1-4 years old, and 16 between 5-14.  So 36 deaths nationally for people under the age of 14. Total deaths this year out of that age group are 11,998. https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku

But to your point on percentages, deaths over known cases by age group, I can't seem to find data by age on who catches other than through the Texas website.  Extrapolating that data and applying to the 4mm number of national known cases, around 5% of cases are under 14.  That ends up being a death percentage of .018%. Or 1 out of 5,555.  Problem is, we know we have massively undercounted cases by 10x? 20x? so it could be 1 out of 11,000 to 1 out of 22,000.

To further that point, if 100% of the population got it and those numbers above hold, you'd have anywhere between 2500 and 11000 deaths of kids under 14 from COVID given we have about 61mm people under the age of 14 in the US.  

23 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

By age there have been 11 deaths under the age of 1 from COVID, 9 deaths between 1-4 years old, and 16 between 5-14.  So 36 deaths nationally for people under the age of 14. Total deaths this year out of that age group are 11,998. https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku

But to your point on percentages, deaths over known cases by age group, I can't seem to find data by age on who catches other than through the Texas website.  Extrapolating that data and applying to the 4mm number of national known cases, around 5% of cases are under 14.  That ends up being a death percentage of .018%. Or 1 out of 5,555.  Problem is, we know we have massively undercounted cases by 10x? 20x? so it could be 1 out of 11,000 to 1 out of 22,000.

To further that point, if 100% of the population got it and those numbers above hold, you'd have anywhere between 2500 and 11000 deaths of kids under 14 from COVID given we have about 61mm people under the age of 14 in the US.  

That's terrible. Then you have to factor in the numbers for high school aged kids. Then figure hospitalization rates for these groups. Then hospitalization and mortality rate for the millions of adult teachers and school employees who will be exposed. 

There's zero upside to this. It'll kill and seriously harm many people and will further delay any recovery economic or otherwise

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1

That's terrible. Then you have to factor in the numbers for high school aged kids. Then figure hospitalization rates for these groups. Then hospitalization and mortality rate for the millions of adult teachers and school employees who will be exposed. 
There's zero upside to this. It'll kill and seriously harm many people and will further delay any recovery economic or otherwise

And the documented cases of that weird inflammatory disorder that has been showing up in kids post-infection is being brushed off as well.

For a bunch that has been crying for years about pro-life and “ONE DEAD BABY IS ONE TOO MANY!” they sure seem to not give off the same energy.

They’re not pro-life - they’re pro-forcing women to give birth.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And the documented cases of that weird inflammatory disorder that has been showing up in kids post-infection is being brushed off as well.
For a bunch that has been crying for years about pro-life and “ONE DEAD BABY IS ONE TOO MANY!” they sure seem to not give off the same energy.

It's weird how a bunch of them focus on the death rate, and completely avoid the current hospitalization disaster and then the ongoing symptoms that some people are experiencing. Like - to them as long as you didn't die, it wasn't bad. Nevermind you may spend quite some time in a hospital or dealing with this shit for months (maybe longer).

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember when (OK, nobody but Brat remembers when) polio had multiple shitty outcomes?  Death, paralysis, iron lung, whatever?

Yeah, we cared about all of those back then.  Now it's "well, it's only 1,000 kids who are going to die, what's the big fucking deal?"

• Like 1