CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

#1 I genuinely hope you father ends up being fine.

#2 Lots of Dads have died, are dying and will die. Because of the reckless inaction of the GOP. I would hope your love for your father would help you to realize that you should never vote for any GOP candidate again. 

Oh, I'm already firmly in that camp.  I could see a scenario where some changes happen and I could find myself considering them in the future for some reason or another.  We've watched the parties basically switch sides before after all and it could happen again, but I'll be a yellow dog no matter what until my last breath if this kills anyone in my family.

And by the way, just to be completely transparent, it will partially be from guilt.  Because I didn't work harder to make my family see they were in a death cult, and if it kills them, a teeny tiny part of me will think it serves them right for listening to Republicans and a very large part of me will think about all the times where I could've maybe gotten them to think things through and realize they were being duped by team rah rah bullshit and if I'd done that they'd still be alive today. So yeah, I'm not happy that those two things are sitting in my head as I think about my dad.  

Also, good news here, hospital sent him home.  He does have covid related pneumonia but it appears to be already clearing up, so he's not taking up a bed at least.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
posted too soon.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Obviously just a guess, but I would imagine that those positions are more frequently held by anti-maskers in CFA than McD's.

If they are not following the local health codes and public health measures (I assume that these are in place in CO), they should be fined and arrested.

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

@Bama Chick   this is close to home.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-hell-took-over-this-alabama-doctors-weekend?ref=home

Hide contents

As Thrasher put it, “I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel right now.”

Oh there's a light at the end all right. It's just the fucking train called school that's about to obliterate you if it starts up in person

3 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

If Republicans want to have any hope at all of ever seeing my vote again, they're going to have to change some things right now, and they are going to have to hope my dad survives.  He seemed to be getting better a couple days ago after a week with Covid, but this morning he's heading to the hospital with what looks like pneumonia related to COVID.  If he dies from this, I will work for the rest of my life to make sure Republicans lose power where they have it, and stay out of power where they don't.  He caught it at work, which he does 3 days a week because he's retired and bored, but he is an essential worker so his work didn't change when this hit.  He works at a place where everyone is tested regularly and gets a temp check every day on their way in.  You can't count on that to keep you safe.  

Let me repeat that:  He works at a place where everyone is tested regularly and gets a temp check every day on their way in.  You can't count on those two safety measures to keep you safe.  

Stay safe everyone.  

Log Cabin?

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Not political, but since I've been posted here more than the DT thread lately:

My 88 year old dad had a stroke almost a month ago and is doing OK in terms of stroke and functioning. Went to the hospital for 3 days and then rehab at his retirement community rehab/nursing center which was an ordeal. Was moved to several different rooms. Some without TVs so he was bored. Tested positive for covid 19 when he arrived so put in a semiprivate room with another positive patient. He had no symptoms throughout the ordeal. Tested negative over a week ago and moved again. Tested negative again and finally got to go home this afternoon. Happy camper! Back in his duplex at the retirement community with a sitter for a period of time. Now waiting to get better so he can get his dog back.

109471905_10218087116472687_580629515749

rock on, old dude!

Hoo boy
White House's $21M contract for Pepcid as a COVID remedy under scrutiny

As the coronavirus began its deadly march through the world, two well-respected American doctors identified a possible but seemingly unlikely remedy: Pepcid, the heartburn medication found on drugstore shelves everywhere.

There were no published data or studies to suggest that famotidine, the active ingredient in Pepcid, would be effective against the novel coronavirus.

And in early April, when government scientists learned of a proposal to spend millions in federal research funding to study Pepcid, they found it laughable, according to interviews, a whistleblower complaint and internal government records obtained by The Associated Press.

But that didn’t stop the Trump administration from granting a $21 million emergency contract to researchers trying it out on ailing patients. The Food and Drug Administration gave the clinical trial speedy approval even as a top agency official worried that the proposed daily injections of high doses of famotidine for already sick patients pushed safety “to the limits,” internal government emails show.

• Like 1

Most people in the hospital already get famotidine once or twice a day, just because the inherent stress of being a patient makes your Gi tract wonky. But, you know, at regularly known safe dosages. Wish the article had mentioned the actual "high doses" involved, as I'm curious to know what they were but not curious enough to go seek them myself. My guess is pretty hefty.

Edited by trauma babe
words
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, even though this is a sports oriented site, I know not everyone is a baseball fan.

For those who aren't, MLB is opening their season tonight with the Washington Nationals versus the New York Yankees.  Dr. Fauci is throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.  Juan Soto, a huge star for the Nationals, has tested positive for Covid-19. The rest of the team is apparently "being tested," but they are proceeding with the game.

I'm sorry, I love and want baseball, but this seems like a horrible idea.  And it seems like a bad public message to me if Fauci goes ahead with throwing out the first pitch.  I mean, I will probably watch it because my baser instincts will take over.  But in the back of my mind I'm wondering if by watching I'm supporting what to me seems like the wrong message.

You could go the other way and say the MLB protocols are working. Soto is asymptomatic and was the only positive test, so they isolate him until he gets two negatives in a row. Freddie Freeman among other key players has recovered from COVID and is back on the field without causing an outbreak. The system is designed to snuff out mass infections, there will always be the occasional positive but teams have been together for a few weeks now and the machine is rolling along.

4 hours ago, Skyline said:

Temp checks at the gate just don't do much in this pandemic. I understand why they're being done. Your workplace/whatever ideally would have social distancing guidelines, mask enforcement, and regular testing. Otherwise a temp check is simply theater. 

Good luck to your family, NAIU. 

Related: had to go get a screening done yesterday and our local medical facility is doing the usual COVID flowchart stuff at the entrance: have you been around anyone, etc etc. The two people asking the questions looked to me like the older volunteer/docents that they usually have next door at the hospital (they are linked) like when I had to go for chemo. Seemed like a not great idea because neither volunteer were spring chickens although everyone everywhere is masked. Anyway, the last thing they do is take your temperature. While I was happy to hear I didn't have a fever, I didn't realize I was *almost dead when she said my temp was 93.4 degrees.

*Okay, a little hyperbole but I did do a double take when she just waved me through. I'm thinking 'your aim needs some work, there.'

12 minutes ago, Bartles said:

You could go the other way and say the MLB protocols are working. Soto is asymptomatic and was the only positive test, so they isolate him until he gets two negatives in a row. Freddie Freeman among other key players has recovered from COVID and is back on the field without causing an outbreak. The system is designed to snuff out mass infections, there will always be the occasional positive but teams have been together for a few weeks now and the machine is rolling along.

Yep. Sox starting pitcher (had rough COVID) is being held back. He was with the team though so there is that to consider. 

An interesting experiment for sure. 

24 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Freedie Freeman also said at one point he was basically begging God not to die.  I'm not really arguing, I'm just wondering if  this is a good idea right now.

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Sorry, am I being stupid?

Not at all.  I made the same point two days ago and people couldn’t understand it.  You and I are the idiots though for now.  

People can’t conceptualize when we have 500,000 dead in December and look back at now and say, “Hey remember when Fauci was throwing out first pitches at baseball games in July?  What the fuck was he thinking?”

It’s almost like Trump holding a rally in Tulsa in the middle of June.  The messaging isn’t good! 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

OK, yeah, same page then.  That's the thing.   Trump may have done his best to counter Fauci at times, but Trump isn't forcing him into this situation.  I would hope that this positive test of a high profile player would give him a new opportunity to decline, even if at the last minute.

25 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

OK, yeah, same page then.  That's the thing.   Trump may have done his best to counter Fauci at times, but Trump isn't forcing him into this situation.  I would hope that this positive test of a high profile player would give him a new opportunity to decline, even if at the last minute.

By that logic, he should never have accepted due to Freeman who was in bad shape as mentioned, or Aroldis Chapman/Eduardo Rodriguez who haven't been able to get back on the field due to COVID. Or what you guys may really be saying - and it's a valid argument - is MLB simply shouldn't be playing because it's too dangerous. If the administration really felt it was dangerous, they should have stepped in and prevented it.

I still think we should celebrate or at least observe that the sports leagues are pulling off their plans successfully...with TESTING! The "messaging isn't good" applies to the government, not the leagues IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not at all.  I made the same point two days ago and people couldn’t understand it.  You and I are the idiots though for now.  

People can’t conceptualize when we have 500,000 dead in December and look back at now and say, “Hey remember when Fauci was throwing out first pitches at baseball games in July?  What the fuck was he thinking?”

It’s almost like Trump holding a rally in Tulsa in the middle of June.  The messaging isn’t good! 

i don't think anyone is an "idiot" in this conversation, but i still disagree.  the season was starting, the train was leaving the station, whether fauci threw out the first pitch or not.  there likely won't be anyone throwing out first pitches in any other games (although trump was yammering about doing so in mid-august).

fauci has become a dependable face of actual trustworthy information in this mess.  it's not like it's some mission accomplished/victory lap situation like trump surely would've tried to make it for himself.  i don't envision a scenario where anyone looks back at the one pitch and has egg on their face, even if the entire season gets cancelled by sunday.  that's a little silly.

and no, it's nothing like holding a rally with thousands of people in some arena.  these are not comparable situations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

i don't think anyone is an "idiot" in this conversation, but i still disagree.  the season was starting, the train was leaving the station, whether fauci threw out the first pitch or not.  there likely won't be anyone throwing out first pitches in any other games (although trump was yammering about doing so in mid-august).
fauci has become a dependable face of actual trustworthy information in this mess.  it's not like it's some mission accomplished/victory lap situation like trump surely would've tried to make it for himself.  i don't envision a scenario where anyone looks back at the one pitch and has egg on their face, even if the entire season gets cancelled by sunday.  that's a little silly.
and no, it's nothing like holding a rally with thousands of people in some arena.  these are not comparable situations.
Agree. Like an MD, Fauci appears to understand his patient and is acting accordingly. My MD may prefer that I make all the healthy choices I should, and he can reccomend that, but also adapt to realities if won't stop acquiring nachos every day.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

If we, the United States, were in the middle of a war on the homeland and losing BADLY, I’m not sure having our top general throwing first pitches is a great idea.  That’s all I’m saying.  COVID-19 is kicking our ass and Fauci is our top general.  

I respect your perspective though. 

not sure if you understand what the “first pitch” (singular) really means, but it’s a ceremonial thing. it’s rarely televised, and almost never publicized unless it’s a big celebrity or a special game (both are very rare).  this was the nats franchise doing something nice for a lifelong fan.

its also in an empty stadium. nobody watching this is thinking “oh cool, guess we beat this thing.”

as for the “top general” analogy - i would love it if he could do something right now to help. he can’t even get himself into the press briefings. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure if you understand what the “first pitch” (singular) really means, but it’s a ceremonial thing. it’s rarely televised, and almost never publicized unless it’s a big celebrity or a special game (both are very rare).  this was the nats franchise doing something nice for a lifelong fan.

its also in an empty stadium. nobody watching this is thinking “oh cool, guess we beat this thing.”

as for the “top general” analogy - i would love it if he could do something right now to help. he can’t even get himself into the press briefings. 

If we, the United States, were in the middle of a war on the homeland and losing BADLY, I’m not sure having our top general throwing first pitches is a great idea.  That’s all I’m saying.  COVID-19 is kicking our ass and Fauci is our top general.  
I respect your perspective though. 

Yeah but this isn’t an invasion of a foreign nation and he’s not a General. There is a pandemic - one that for better or worse requires persuasion to beat. You’re analogy doesn’t even come out of the gate well, it’s completely off - like the good doctor’s pitch.

clearly that was a no look pass to the invisible china virus you can't see

edit- the virus dropped it.....it's a virus..... it can't catch.... it only.....gets caught 😎

Edited by cam4mav
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is a big Nationals fan apparently. You don't have to play the game to enjoy it. They sure didn't let girls play LL when I was growing up. But I still like to watch it.

Very glad the team gave him the honor. Almost 80 years old, still sharp as a tack, and trying to do right by Americans. That's a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bravo doctor. 

Jesus, how can you be a life long baseball superfan and not know how to throw a baseball? Dude is 79 so I don't blame the bounce but damn a super fan should at least be able to lob it straight. Especially an old school Italian. Baseball is huge with old school Italian Americans. 

Heard he runs 3 miles a day so he is in phenomenal shape for 79. I wasn't against him throwing the pitch like Hugo was a few days ago but after seeing that horrible thing I'm full on team Hugo now. That ended up being a perfect analogy for just how shitty American leaders and public have fucked this up

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1

On the other hand, we can all unite in laughing at the throw and it gives us something petty and meaningless to care about. It seems like a win to me. Maybe we don’t need W throwing a strike in this moment.

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Jesus, how can you be a life long baseball superfan and not know how to throw a baseball? Dude is 79 so I don't blame the bounce but damn a super fan should at least be able to lob it straight. Especially an old school Italian. Baseball is huge with old school Italian Americans. 

Heard he runs 3 miles a day so he is in phenomenal shape for 79. I wasn't against him throwing the pitch like Hugo was a few days ago but after seeing that horrible thing I'm full on team Hugo now. That ended up being a perfect analogy for just how shitty American leaders and public have fucked this up

Pretty dumb take

nah, really dumb take

you really care, tell us why?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mole said:

On the other hand, we can all unite in laughing at the throw and it gives us something petty and meaningless to care about. It seems like a win to me. Maybe we don’t need W throwing a strike in this moment.

oh for sure. Nothing but love for Faucie. Very happy for him to get this singular recognition.

Bonus was that after it was announced he was throwing the pitch, Trump made a point to say he's doing one later.
Now I'm waiting for a smart ass comment from Trump about the throw, cause he is that petty. 

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Classic Hugo. You still haven’t responded to my offer.