Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

On 2/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, zork said:

Is there a way to make an apples to apples comparison now that the rights for the SEC have come out?  So you add the two numbers from this vs the SEC number including third tier?

Texas: 32MM+18.4MM =50.4MM

vs

SEC: 43.1MM including 2nd and 3rd tier

http://www.secsports.com/article/25900249/sec-announces-2017-18-revenue-distribution

I'm probably missing a few things.  What is the rough or as detailed as you can get and still be as close to an apples to apples comparison?  Or does 50.4MM for Texas vs 43.1MM for X SEC school sum it up?

I don't believe "royalties" falls in the category of media rights, I think it's licensing revenue.  But 18.4MM seems mighty low for media rights.

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't believe "royalties" falls in the category of media rights, I think it's licensing revenue.  But 18.4MM seems mighty low for media rights.

Also, in 2017, we had "rights/licensing" of 86.2MM, while eaTme had 61MM.  Not sure what that reported figure is.  Mid-thirties does seem to be the BXII distribution. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/03/14/big-12-reports-371-million-revenues-2017-up-more-than-18-percent/426331002/

Also, since 2015, eaTme has had extraordinary contributions, double or triple the prior average, which is typically about half ours ~20MM vs. ~40MM.

Edited by TwiceHorn

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference will distribute a record $364.9 million to its 10 institutions for the fiscal year, commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced Friday at the conclusion of league meetings.

That amounts to $36.5 million per school, likely placing the Big 12 third among the Power 5 conferences, behind the SEC and Big Ten but ahead of the Pac-12 and ACC.

Unlike the other leagues, which include Tier 3 revenue from conference networks in their distribution figures, the Big 12's distribution numbers do not include Tier 3 revenue. The Longhorn Network, which is owned by ESPN, pays Texas an additional $15 million per year on average. Oklahoma nets roughly $5 million from its Tier 3 agreements with Fox.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/23669917/big-12-conference-distribute-3649-million-schools

LHN is worth $15 mil annually so I would guess the $18.4 mil for Texas tier 3 is about right.  That would make the calculation:

Texas: $54.9 mil (36.5 + 18.4)

OU: $41.5 mil (36.5 + 5.0)

SEC: $43.1 mil

OU has little financial incentive to change the status quo and would give up a lot of control to move.  Texas is much better off financially in the Big XII than in any arrangement where more revenue is shared with the conference plus the brand control of having our own network.  The smaller conference schools are better off than the Pac or ACC even if they get zero for their tier 3.  And it's certainly better than any reasonable alternative scenario for them.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/23669917/big-12-conference-distribute-3649-million-schools

LHN is worth $15 mil annually so I would guess the $18.4 mil for Texas tier 3 is about right.  That would make the calculation:

Texas: $54.9 mil (36.5 + 18.4)

OU: $41.5 mil (36.5 + 5.0)

SEC: $43.1 mil

OU has little financial incentive to change the status quo and would give up a lot of control to move.  Texas is much better off financially in the Big XII than in any arrangement where more revenue is shared with the conference plus the brand control of having our own network.  The smaller conference schools are better off than the Pac or ACC even if they get zero for their tier 3.  And it's certainly better than any reasonable alternative scenario for them.

That sounds about right.  Add another 30 mil for licensing (yow!) and that gets you in the 80 mil range I think the report will reflect under "rights/licensing."

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why does somebody think this is an issue?  The Rec Sports Center is plenty far outside the footprint of the stadium that it's not a hinderance.

plenty far outside?  at it's closest point, it's 30 feet from where the new SEZ will be.  I wouldn't call that plenty far outside.  

Will Texas ever play Texas A&M again? Del Conte recounted how he called A&M’s Scott Woodward and asked to play during the 2022-23 seasons, and the Aggies declined, citing their contract with Miami. “That last game in College Station, who won that one? We did. They got to live with that,” Del Conte said.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 2/2/2019 at 10:00 PM, Goodman said:

I hope they have a skills competition to watch Case throw some lasers at moving golf carts. Nick Rose will win the trick shot. I'll take Cody Johnson in the short yardage drill.

The Matt Nordgren dribbling for TDs competition will be quite the draw. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

If they blow up RecSports they owe us a new gym. I mean I'm graduated and gone now, but I loved that place since it was less full than Greg

Definitely. I went there all the time until they renovated the weight room in Gregory

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why does somebody think this is an issue?  The Rec Sports Center is plenty far outside the footprint of the stadium that it's not a hinderance.

They’ve been talking about making a big state of the art facility for football and basketball with a weigh room overlooking the skyline.  It would be cheaper and easier to tear the rec down with Moncrief and build a larger facility from end to end in the footprint of those two.  Half of the appeal of the rec was the close parking which is gone now with the basketball arena going in.  I agree they would need to build another student gym by I see no reason it has to go where the rec is since that’s only close to SanJac.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

plenty far outside?  at it's closest point, it's 30 feet from where the new SEZ will be.  I wouldn't call that plenty far outside.  

Go look at Google Maps satellite view of where the Rec Center is relative to the football field and compare it to where 23rd street on the north side of the stadium is relative to the field.

There's plenty of room.

14 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They’ve been talking about making a big state of the art facility for football and basketball with a weigh room overlooking the skyline.  It would be cheaper and easier to tear the rec down with Moncrief and build a larger facility from end to end in the footprint of those two.  Half of the appeal of the rec was the close parking which is gone now with the basketball arena going in.  I agree they would need to build another student gym by I see no reason it has to go where the rec is since that’s only close to SanJac.

Or they could almost double the size of Moncrief and keep a rec facility there if they built one large structure on that footprint. I realize that doesn’t solve the parking problem.