Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

5 hours ago, PantsTent said:

That's what CDC needs to fix.  If I remember, the $219mm revenue is barely tops, but the $217mm expenses is by far the tops.  Without the $10mm to academics maybe it's not that far off, but there's still a lot of wasted money to be fixed I think.  I mean the 2 hype squad salaries couldn't have been that much but it's a start.

Pardon my regardedness, but what are/were the hype squad salaries we eliminated?

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

14 million in yearly payments for a program with a revenue of 200+ million seems like not a big deal at all? And, it isn't clear to me why any athletic department of a public university should run at a profit. The goal is the betterment of the university, not enriching shareholders. The money should be either sent to the academic departments, used to improve existing sports programs or fund additional ones,  or subsidizing study involvement in athletics. Having substantial profit leftover just seems like lazy management to me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

14 million in yearly payments for a program with a revenue of 200+ million seems like not a big deal at all? And, it isn't clear to me why any athletic department of a public university should run at a profit. The goal is the betterment of the university, not enriching shareholders. The money should be either sent to the academic departments, used to improve existing sports programs or fund additional ones,  or subsidizing study involvement in athletics. Having substantial profit leftover just seems like lazy management to me.

I think ADs should have a rainy day fund so they don't have to borrow from the University proper the way A&M did.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

How much of that $217 million was used to fund women's sports and non-revenue men's sports?

I am guessing a whole fucking bunch of it.

Football showed a $103.5 mil profit.  Department wide profit of $2 mil and $10.7 million transferred to academics.  So football alone subsidized non-revenue sports to the tune of $90.8 mil.  You'd have to add in whatever profit the other revenue sports produced to get a final number.

Just now, sushihorn said:

Football showed a $103.5 mil profit.  Department wide profit of $2 mil and $10.7 million transferred to academics.  So football alone subsidized non-revenue sports to the tune of $90.8 mil.  You'd have to add in whatever profit the other revenue sports produced to get a final number.

Pretty sure there are no other profitable sports male or female.

I think at one time men's basketball made a small profit and baseball broke even. Everything else lost money.

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think ADs should have a rainy day fund so they don't have to borrow from the University proper the way A&M did.

Yeah, and a small profit every year feeds that. I'm sure the athletic department has plenty in reserve, it doesn't need to add more than a few million every year. I'm just saying that the insistence that the athletic department's books look like the books of a for-profit company is silly. 

42 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, and a small profit every year feeds that. I'm sure the athletic department has plenty in reserve, it doesn't need to add more than a few million every year. I'm just saying that the insistence that the athletic department's books look like the books of a for-profit company is silly. 

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything

• Like 1

We only field 20 varsity sports for that 217 million. 

Stanford’s sports are all endowed I believe so they and their 50 sports don’t count, but schools like Ohio state have many more varsity sports than Texas does so it feels like Texas spends more per sport but isn’t getting the return it should. 

I know it was dodds’ vision to spend more on fewer sports to be nationally competitive in all of them, but that really hasn’t panned out  

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We only field 20 varsity sports for that 217 million. 

Stanford’s sports are all endowed I believe so they and their 50 sports don’t count, but schools like Ohio state have many more varsity sports than Texas does so it feels like Texas spends more per sport but isn’t getting the return it should. 

I know it was dodds’ vision to spend more on fewer sports to be nationally competitive in all of them, but that really hasn’t panned out  

The big 3 have floundered a bit recently, but the other sports are plenty competitive and generally top ranked.  I do agree that we could do with some more Olympic sports. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

The big 3 have floundered a bit recently, but the other sports are plenty competitive and generally top ranked.  I do agree that we could do with some more Olympic sports. 

When you go sport by sport, how many are consistently top 20 teams year after year?

im too lazy to actually fact find, but chick soccer has been disappointing but is currently trending upwards, softball was floundering before the new AD mercifully replaced the coach, track teams are up and down but the women are down from what they were doing 20 years ago, chick swimming is ok I guess, the golf teams pull their weight, I still don’t know how baseball could fall so far as to miss the tournament a few times though hopefully that’s corrected now, basketball has been a mess for 15 years, football is football. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

When you go sport by sport, how many are consistently top 20 teams year after year?

im too lazy to actually fact find, but chick soccer has been disappointing but is currently trending upwards, softball was floundering before the new AD mercifully replaced the coach, track teams are up and down but the women are down from what they were doing 20 years ago, chick swimming is ok I guess, the golf teams pull their weight, I still don’t know how baseball could fall so far as to miss the tournament a few times though hopefully that’s corrected now, basketball has been a mess for 15 years, football is football. 

Volleyball has been consistently excellent.  Top 10 nearly every year and top 5 most  years.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Volleyball has been consistently excellent.  Top 10 nearly every year and top 5 most  years.

Swimming and Diving = national championship machine.

Women's basketball struggled with Gail, but even then consistently made the tourney. Since then we have 3 sweet 16s and an elite 8. 

Men's golf - conference champion machine. NC in 2012. 

Women's golf - is ok. 

Track and field for both men's and women's is generally good, not great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You just hit the Derka bat signal.  

UniformPossibleCurassow-size_restricted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I’d like us to use extra to endow athletic scholarships 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well he had Texas at #1 in January once as well. How did that season and his subsequent seasons go?

We have reason to believe that his current team is more akin to Rick's more successful teams than that one. The last time Tennessee had been no.1 their very next game was a road loss to Vandy. You just mentioned what happened the last time Rick Barnes led one of his teams to the top of the polls. Guess where Tennessee's first game was after being voted no.1?

They won that game at Vandy, then covered the 16.5 pt spread vs WVU. They're probably the third or fourth best team in the country, and they're legitimately good, something that was also true about Texas under Rick Barnes from 1999-2011. And being that we had a basketball history that was inferior to the likes of Kansas State before Barnes got here, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the last six years of Barnes were worth it with everything we accomplished for the first decade+.

Edited by Goo Punch

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well they barely beat vandy in overtime, but  I agree with basically everything you said about rick’s time at Texas. 

Winning on the road in college basketball is hard. Even fucking Kansas is 1-4 this year. And Vanderbilt's Memorial Gym is a special kind of fuckery.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:42 AM, Dahobbs said:

The profit thing is a very good point.  However, as rare as it may be, it seems like the athletic department could do better than a 5% dividend to the University.

And I think we know that the department became a bloated monstrosity under Dodds and Plonsky.  I'd like to see it leaned up and more paid to the University, or to the rainy day fund.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The profit thing is a very good point.  However, as rare as it may be, it seems like the athletic department could do better than a 5% dividend to the University.

And I think we know that the department became a bloated monstrosity under Dodds and Plonsky.  I'd like to see it leaned up and more paid to the University, or to the rainy day fund.

Agreed. I just dont see the debt or profit complaints as a big deal. Personally, I think the goal should be to return between 10 and 20% of revenue to academics. 

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

We need to endow athletic scholarships before paying more to the University.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

We need to endow athletic scholarships before paying more to the University.  

Endowing the scholarships is going to happen primarily through fundraising, not operating profits. But, if we are transferring ten large to The University per year, I'm cool with putting other profits towards the endowment.

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Endowing the scholarships is going to happen primarily through fundraising, not operating profits. But, if we are transferring ten large to The University per year, I'm cool with putting other profits towards the endowment.

In the LHN deal there was some set amount that was to be transferred to the academic side, per year.  Maybe $5M?  Eight years later, I can no longer recall exactly how much it was, but it looks like we're currently sending over more than that, which I'm all for.  Very few universities have that luxury.

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Yeah I think at one point out our baseball team was making a profit, slim but still a profit.

Correct.

The 2017-18 revenue and expense report shows that UT football generated $144 million in revenues, a typical number given the program’s size.

That includes $38.5 million in ticket sales. UT has kept season ticket prices frozen for renewing ticket holders for three consecutive seasons. Prices are expected to increase when 2019 prices are unveiled in February, according to two sources.

Texas football received $32 million in royalty payments and $18.4 million in media rights, a number largely driven by Longhorn Network’s annual payment of $15 million from ESPN.

The audited figures also shed light on how UT is spending under coach Tom Herman.

In Strong’s last season in 2016, the football program spent about $847,000 in recruiting. Under Herman, that number jumped to $1.8 million.

Texas also spent just $101,187 in fundraising, marketing and promotion in Strong’s last season. Herman beefed up the program’s social marketing presence with new personnel, and Texas spent $526,889 in that department in 2017-18. The change is noticeable online as Texas is now hailed for its promotions and graphics.

As in previous years, Texas football ($103.5 million), men’s basketball ($7 million) and baseball ($1.5 million) are the only profitable sports on campus. The lion’s share of the profit generated from football pays for UT’s other 17 varsity sports.

The audited data also reveals why athletic director Chris Del Conte is eager to off-load massive construction costs for the new basketball arena and the Royal-Memorial Stadium expansion. Texas still carries a lot of debt from previous expansion.

The Longhorns have a $17.2 million principal and interest payment due in 2019, according to the audited data.   

The department owes $288.4 million in a payment schedule that dates out to 2044.

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-athletics-smashes-record-generating-219-4-million-2017-18/

22 hours ago, torre said:

Correct.

The 2017-18 revenue and expense report shows that UT football generated $144 million in revenues, a typical number given the program’s size.

That includes $38.5 million in ticket sales. UT has kept season ticket prices frozen for renewing ticket holders for three consecutive seasons. Prices are expected to increase when 2019 prices are unveiled in February, according to two sources.

Texas football received $32 million in royalty payments and $18.4 million in media rights, a number largely driven by Longhorn Network’s annual payment of $15 million from ESPN.

The audited figures also shed light on how UT is spending under coach Tom Herman.

In Strong’s last season in 2016, the football program spent about $847,000 in recruiting. Under Herman, that number jumped to $1.8 million.

Texas also spent just $101,187 in fundraising, marketing and promotion in Strong’s last season. Herman beefed up the program’s social marketing presence with new personnel, and Texas spent $526,889 in that department in 2017-18. The change is noticeable online as Texas is now hailed for its promotions and graphics.

As in previous years, Texas football ($103.5 million), men’s basketball ($7 million) and baseball ($1.5 million) are the only profitable sports on campus. The lion’s share of the profit generated from football pays for UT’s other 17 varsity sports.

The audited data also reveals why athletic director Chris Del Conte is eager to off-load massive construction costs for the new basketball arena and the Royal-Memorial Stadium expansion. Texas still carries a lot of debt from previous expansion.

The Longhorns have a $17.2 million principal and interest payment due in 2019, according to the audited data.   

The department owes $288.4 million in a payment schedule that dates out to 2044.

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-athletics-smashes-record-generating-219-4-million-2017-18/

Is there a way to make an apples to apples comparison now that the rights for the SEC have come out?  So you add the two numbers from this vs the SEC number including third tier?

Texas: 32MM+18.4MM =50.4MM

vs

SEC: 43.1MM including 2nd and 3rd tier

The average amount distributed from the conference office, excluding bowl money retained by participants, was slightly over $43.1 million per school.

http://www.secsports.com/article/25900249/sec-announces-2017-18-revenue-distribution

I'm probably missing a few things.  What is the rough or as detailed as you can get and still be as close to an apples to apples comparison?  Or does 50.4MM for Texas vs 43.1MM for X SEC school sum it up?

3 hours ago, zork said:

I'm probably missing a few things.  What is the rough or as detailed as you can get and still be as close to an apples to apples comparison?  Or does 50.4MM for Texas vs 43.1MM for X SEC school sum it up?

We need Huckleberry or Randolph Duke to evaluate.     😊

5 hours ago, zork said:

That pretty much sums it up.  aggy gets $7.3 million less than Texas for their media rights, but they are the richest university in the universe.

• Like 1