Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

Still a big fan of the magnetic door canister spice storage. Old picture (rip Kevin) and honestly we could use another panel. Held on with fifty million command strips, two sets of some Amazon whatever. This was a wife project, and a successful one.

IMG_5511.thumb.jpeg.f2ca59921eba7453c741fe5de75c79c8.jpeg

I need to get some proper drawer organizers. We have some bamboo boxes but they’re always sliding around or coming apart. We do the pan/sheet stuff vertically with some cheap wire holders from bed bath and whatever or Amazon.

I’ve always just had silicone turners cause you can use them on everything and cheap 22 year old me isn’t getting more non-toy tools than the absolute minimum. I brought my big metal fish turner inside because silicone wasn’t working with tortillas and man I’ve realized how stupid I’ve been to not have just a standard flat metal spatula in the mix. It’s made me dislike using nonstick even for the quick stuff, going to my raw and enameled cast iron more or my carbon steel flat bottom wok. Also a little frying basket is useful more frequently than I realized. And the bench scraper for cleaning/gathering/picking up.

IMG_5400.thumb.jpeg.3931d50cfa943d0f2193d139882e168d.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Still a big fan of the magnetic door canister spice storage. Old picture (rip Kevin) and honestly we could use another panel. Held on with fifty million command strips, two sets of some Amazon whatever. This was a wife project, and a successful one.

IMG_5511.thumb.jpeg.f2ca59921eba7453c741fe5de75c79c8.jpeg

I need to get some proper drawer organizers. We have some bamboo boxes but they’re always sliding around or coming apart. We do the pan/sheet stuff vertically with some cheap wire holders from bed bath and whatever or Amazon.

I’ve always just had silicone turners cause you can use them on everything and cheap 22 year old me isn’t getting more non-toy tools than the absolute minimum. I brought my big metal fish turner inside because silicone wasn’t working with tortillas and man I’ve realized how stupid I’ve been to not have just a standard flat metal spatula in the mix. It’s made me dislike using nonstick even for the quick stuff, going to my raw and enameled cast iron more or my carbon steel flat bottom wok. Also a little frying basket is useful more frequently than I realized. And the bench scraper for cleaning/gathering/picking up.

IMG_5400.thumb.jpeg.3931d50cfa943d0f2193d139882e168d.jpeg

I love the fish spatula...  so thin I think you could slip it under tissue paper without a wrinkle

a26644_c88bd0cd045a4ce692e9285298a64f9c~

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Fish spatula should be normalized as THE spatula. And then any other spatula should be relegated to specialty spatula status. 

I agree.  I bought one a year ago and it's like "why did I use anything else?"

I even use them on nonstick, but I don't let my family see me doing it because I've been screaming at them about metal on PTFE for years.  I know how to do it.

I should get some smaller fish homies. I also love inauspicious things like fish spatulas that I can order in left-handed.

(previous post was confusing - I have a bigass hell’s handle fish spatula I bought for the grill. I bought a metal diner style spatula as a smaller metal spatula and maybe better for smashing burgers)

Looks like I'm getting a visit from a Cutco rep tomorrow (good kid, graduated, etc.).

What should I be looking at?  I've heard good things about shears (I could use a better pair) and steak knives (don't really need them, but whatever).  I have a chef's knife and cleaver I'm fine with.  Might look at the chef's knife anyway to keep people from using mine.  Bread knife maybe?

How about  some recs for a knife sharpner that works and doesn't take a degree in math to make it work? I have good knives but damn I can't find a good sharpener.

Chef's Choice 4643 uses discs, is simple, sets a good edge, doesn't remove too much material, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

48 minutes ago, Damor said:

Looks like I'm getting a visit from a Cutco rep tomorrow (good kid, graduated, etc.).

What should I be looking at?  I've heard good things about shears (I could use a better pair) and steak knives (don't really need them, but whatever).  I have a chef's knife and cleaver I'm fine with.  Might look at the chef's knife anyway to keep people from using mine.  Bread knife maybe?

100% the shears. Our pair is over 20 years old and will still cut through bone. You might consider buying multiple pair to give as gifts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I think the best value in knives are Victorinox Fibrox. Consistently top rated for value/quality ratio. Swiss steel, Swiss made, nothing from China. Extremely well balanced, low maintenance. Can even go in the dishwasher. I have a 8” chef, 6” chef, 7” santoku, boning knife, slicer, shears, paring, and steak knives. They also make a $10 veg peeler that looks very unassuming that is the best I’ve ever used.

Also a big fan of the in drawer knife block if you have the room.

Seconded.  The Victorinox paring knife is a goddam scalpel.

Cutco is mlm overpriced garbage. My DiL bought a bunch of it and they are not good. I rep victorinox and said I can get you some great knives. She also invested in ZLine appliances which are expensive Chinese garbage. I’ve spent 40 years in the appliance biz. Whatever.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, I'd call it charity.  Buy a pair of shears or something but I wouldn't put a bunch of money into Cutco products.

Yeah, I bought a cleaver from a nephew-in-law right when he was out of college. Just looked at what my collection was missing and picked the cleaver. I will say it’s one of the sharpest and sturdiest tools I have in the kitchen. Could take off a finger tip and you wouldn’t even feel it for a couple of minutes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I agree.  I bought one a year ago and it's like "why did I use anything else?"

I even use them on nonstick, but I don't let my family see me doing it because I've been screaming at them about metal on PTFE for years.  I know how to do it.

I don't know how I've made it this far in life without picking one up.  I just fixed that issue this morning and picked up two Winco fish turners on Amazon for $4 a pop.  Serious Eats liked them well enough.

18 hours ago, Litig8r said:

How about  some recs for a knife sharpner that works and doesn't take a degree in math to make it work? I have good knives but damn I can't find a good sharpener.

I have this. It's as simple to use as can be and results in a very sharp edge.  15 pulls through #1, 10 pulls on #2, and 5 pulls on #3. Done.

https://a.co/d/bymECqX

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Damor said:

See what they carry by way of fish spatulas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Everybody needs a bread knife. I dont even use it for bread. The serration helps pierce and cut through anything a normal straight-edge wouldnt. Use it for slicing big roasts too instead of a carving knife (which is totally redundant). 

get the offset one if you are actually cutting bread, don't be me and buy this style

image.png.87816d3c99cd8da88ffe2fac7a0d0b02.png

instead, buy this style:

2104978.jpg

21mGGteIIPL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

also don't spend a fortune on one, that white handled one above is like $7 on webstaurant

• Like 1

Just to touch on av few things from above.....

Definitely go for magnetic wall mounted knife holder. I'll never put a knife I use in a drawer or block again. 

For sharpening, the Ace hardware by me does it for free. And it is awesome. Keep a honing steel around to keep the blade in shape until the next time I'm at Ace and drop my knives off. 

My mom got the cutco set maybe 30 years ago and the shears are still going strong. I hate the chefs knife because my knuckles hit the countertop when trying to chop. Just not enough purchase from the blade to the handle. The serrated knife is good, though. 

I just bought this cheap ass sharpener that I found while reading through product reviews on Food&Wine. I generally use shitty knives, but this thing is simple as hell and it definitely works. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1LR7MW

Here are a bunch more that they reviewed:

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/kitchen/best-knife-sharpeners

19 hours ago, Litig8r said:

I think buy the cheapest thing the kid is selling.  Cutco is sharp af when new but I don't know if you can sharpen them.

you send them back to olean, NY and they sharpen them for free.

for cutco - shears, spatula, steak knives, the longest slicer you can get.  cutco is at its best when making cuts without applying too much downward force.  

On 12/12/2023 at 7:21 AM, CooterBrown said:

I have this. It's as simple to use as can be and results in a very sharp edge.  15 pulls through #1, 10 pulls on #2, and 5 pulls on #3. Done.

https://a.co/d/bymECqX

I don't know what shape your knives are in or what metal they are, but 15 passes on 1 is absolutely not normal and you are seriously shortening the lifespan of the knife by grinding off excessive material. All your pass counts are way too high.

6 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

I don't know what shape your knives are in or what metal they are, but 15 passes on 1 is absolutely not normal and you are seriously shortening the lifespan of the knife by grinding off excessive material. All your pass counts are way too high.

I'll try a lower count next time but that seemed to be what worked best for my knives.  I only buy Victorinox knives.  They're inexpensive and have been far superior to my old Shun & J. Henkel knives I've had in the past.  They've lasted close to a decade going through that sharpener with zero issues so I'm not super concerned about it. 

First off this is a pretty damn cool thermometer that has both meat and ambient temperature.  Does some very cool predictive graphing that is pretty accurate in timing big hunks of meat.  Mainly you have to make sure to put the probe in deep enough so that the sensor in the tip which is more sensitive does not get screwed up by the ambient temp of the oven.  Just put it in up to the line.  For $100 a great Christmas gift. Magnetic back lets you tuck it onto side of fridge to keep handy. Th.e 4 probe is an awesome gift for the BBQ cooker that does multiple sizes and cuts of meat at the same time for $225

71DFCsop5TL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebpspacer.png

The other thing that EVERY kitchen needs is a large carving knife with the little dents in the blade (granton blade) to allow smoother cuts through meat reducing the friction (vacuum creation). This is the one I have had for years. Not the most expensive, but a large carver with a rosewood handle, so it looks nice on the cutting board as well.  I think I paid $80 years ago, now it's about $150.  Mainly every kitchen needs some sort of large carving knife if you are doing large cuts like rib eye roasts, briskets, or turkeys.  Fantastic for shaving rib eye roast leftovers for Philly sandwiches.

spacer.png

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'll try a lower count next time but that seemed to be what worked best for my knives.  I only buy Victorinox knives.  They're inexpensive and have been far superior to my old Shun & J. Henkel knives I've had in the past.  They've lasted close to a decade going through that sharpener with zero issues so I'm not super concerned about it.

The Victorinox aren't soft, and shouldn't be needing that much grinding.

So I don't know what condition your knifes are getting to (how frequently do you sharpen, what material cutting boards do you use, do you ever cut on countertop or on plates), but step1 is really unnecessary on most knives for maintenance sharpening. Usually just one or two on step2 and a polish pass on step3 will get any knife back.

One other possibility, how old or how long have you had your sharpener? It's possible but unlikely that the grinding wheels are simply worn out, esp if you've been overgrinding for quite some time on a lot of knives.

32 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

The Victorinox aren't soft, and shouldn't be needing that much grinding.

So I don't know what condition your knifes are getting to (how frequently do you sharpen, what material cutting boards do you use, do you ever cut on countertop or on plates), but step1 is really unnecessary on most knives for maintenance sharpening. Usually just one or two on step2 and a polish pass on step3 will get any knife back.

One other possibility, how old or how long have you had your sharpener? It's possible but unlikely that the grinding wheels are simply worn out, esp if you've been overgrinding for quite some time on a lot of knives.

I sharpen twice a year. They hold their edge really well. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I sharpen twice a year. They hold their edge really well. 

So you took your Victorinox down to a 15 degree angle?  I have their Chef's knife and was eyeballing the CC1520, which is on sale for $92.

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So you took your Victorinox down to a 15 degree angle?  I have their Chef's knife and was eyeballing the CC1520, which is on sale for $92.

I guess so. I verified I do have the exact model I posted.  I don't worry about that shit at the price point. All I know is that they are sharp and hold the edge really well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Mainly every kitchen needs some sort of large carving knife if you are doing large cuts like rib eye roasts, briskets, or turkeys.  Fantastic for shaving rib eye roast leftovers for Philly sandwiches.

I use my 30 year old twin-bladed electric knife for those tasks.  Works like a charm.

• Like 1