Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

This hits way too close to home.  My wife goes to EyM with her schoolteacher friends at least once a week, and it's the only time she drinks.  When she drinks, my home life gets better.  

I mean, I like their food . . . a lot . . . but I really like my wife downing a couple of margs on a Friday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Eduardo used to work at EyM. He is related to Jaime’s Spanish Village family and Some of his employees are from the old Antonio’s restaurants in north Austin. He opened the small Recuerdos in downtown Round Rock several years ago and had a nice business going, but recently chose to retire.

Do they own the land?  If not, I imagine their rent has skyrocketed over the past few years, unless they had a terrific long-term deal.  That part of Austin is no longer the shithole it used to be.

Well, it's a shithole, but it's a much more expensive shithole.

I don't see how most restaurants can survive with low volume take-out. I imagine a few get enough orders to break even but there are just too many customers that are either worried about going out/delivery, or they don't have the money to spend.

My guess is that restaurants owners would almost have to treat this as something like a remodel where business just shuts down for at least 3-4 months.  And unfortunately you tell the employees that you wish them luck with their next job. Perhaps keep a few key personnel on salary. However this all means that you need some level of savings or line of credit to draw from to cover overhead.

That might be insensitive for the employees but it's better that the restaurant has the ability to re-open. 

They made the decision last weekend and start letting friends know Monday morning. Lease is up in June so they decided to just go ahead and close now. One of the two brothers died last year which also played a role. 

Robert is working on opening his own restaurant once things get back to normal, so we'll see the food return at some point. He's not sure where yet, but has been looking at opening south/Del Valle area. Supposed to meet with him in the coming weeks to talk investment. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not an Austinite, so can't relate.

But the use of the term "gravy" in connection with enchilada sauce and pasta sauce simultaneously amuses me and makes me queasy.

I like you twice, but you are outside of your element here dude.

a3f.gif

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, landman said:

They made the decision last weekend and start letting friends know Monday morning. Lease is up in June so they decided to just go ahead and close now. One of the two brothers died last year which also played a role. 

Robert is working on opening his own restaurant once things get back to normal, so we'll see the food return at some point. He's not sure where yet, but has been looking at opening south/Del Valle area. Supposed to meet with him in the coming weeks to talk investment. 

well, if it helps with any of their decision making, their closing clearly brought out the biggest emotional reaction amongst this surly bunch lol 💔

39 minutes ago, landman said:

Hope they don't do Del Valle, I might never again get to taste that delicious food.  Or at least it would be extremely rare.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well, if it helps with any of their decision making, their closing clearly brought out the biggest emotional reaction amongst this surly bunch lol 💔

This better not end up closing Dart Bowl permanently. 

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

You eat at a restaurant multiple times per month but you aren’t a fan? 

That is just crazy. No opinion on EyM as I live south and have only been once years ago. 

Yeah, it is close to work and I have never in my life brought my own lunch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

This better not end up closing Dart Bowl permanently. 

Well, not to rain on your parade, but consider the location, the size of the parcel, and what's going up around there.  I doubt Dart Bowl is long for this world.

If there were any justice in this world, Highland Lanes would at least go down first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, not to rain on your parade, but consider the location, the size of the parcel, and what's going up around there.  I doubt Dart Bowl is long for this world.

If there were any justice in this world, Highland Lanes would at least go down first.

They'd do what they did when the original Dart Bowl lost their property, take over another bowling alley. Highland Lanes becomes Dart Bowl #3.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, landman said:

Can you expand on this a bit? Is there any way to stay on Anderson Lane? I know the comic book place has been redone and is looking for a tenant. Is all of that too expensive? Did they ever get a tenant where McCalisters use to be? BTW, I think they are looking to open a pizza place with a liquor license where the other pizza place moved from.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, Deej said:

Where else will I be able to get shiity food in the middle of the night? 

Oh, yeah, IHOP.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, troph said:

When did the old Austin die? Today is the day. Sad.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, Deej said:

Died well before Magnolia closing down.

I believe troph may have been referring to your indifference as much as the closing. 

I don't know if you meant it this way, but it is like someone celebrating all the little local shops closing down because, "Hooray! We have a Walmart and Sam's Club now!"

Another step towards everywhere becoming Anywhere, USA. Nick Tosches put it well, "this market we live in that used to be a world."

My issue with that Magnolia location had everything to do with the downhill slide of it's quality. If you are going to roll with history and not keep up the quality, you can't expect to stay in business forever. Nostalgia only goes so far. Oh, and maybe keep up the cleanliness, too.

• Like 3

I wonder how the movie theaters end up? Even big ones are struggling with AMC teetering on bankruptcy, curious how Alamo is situated to weather the storm.

With how hard they have expanded in the last few years I’m thinking Alamo is on the brink unfortunately. I have no idea of their actual financials and hope they make it through.

There’s no way in hell dart bowl makes it even if the pandemic never hit. Their tax value went from 3.9m to 6.3m from 2018 to 2019 (level this yr). Decent chance it’s pending lawsuit on that value but it’s all dirt value now so there’s only so much potential for reduction assuming there aren’t development hindrances on the land. That 6.3m value is $135k in annual taxes, no damn way that place can afford 11k+ in monthly PROPERTY tax. The personal property for the alley/cafe is another 8k annually.

Was Magnolia Cafe ever good enough to suffer a "slide" in quality?

I mean, I loved a good drunk plate of Eggs Zapatino as much as the next guy, but in general it was a pretty average, slightly overpriced diner that could have used a lot more scrubbing.

Always agreed with this even going back to late night post 6th street food in the early 2000s. Kerbey has always been much better in that role.

Still sucks to see it go. I'm sure it'll be replaced by some hipster spot that will sell you a glass of beer made at a brewery 2 miles away for $8.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Was Magnolia Cafe ever good enough to suffer a "slide" in quality?

I mean, I loved a good drunk plate of Eggs Zapatino as much as the next guy, but in general it was a pretty average, slightly overpriced diner that could have used a lot more scrubbing.

It was shit like having dirty flatware and glasses, bringing me the bottom of a pot of coffee ("we have more brewing" um, I would have waited), and shit like that which turned me off. It was like they were rehearsing for an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. When the front of house is nasty, I don't even want to know what's going on in the kitchen.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

With how hard they have expanded in the last few years I’m thinking Alamo is on the brink unfortunately. I have no idea of their actual financials and hope they make it through.

Wasn't most of their expansion through franchises though? 

• Like 1

Ate here on a vacation once, Seattle, and loved it. Homegrown business that grew to 8 stores or so, as well as pints in supermarkets. The exact business I would expect sba to target for this program. Says temporarily closed but doesn't sound like they will be able to hold on without govt help asap.

I was shocked to see it featured on a podcast. Owner applied for sba loans to the tune of 1.5 million but only got $15,000 offered. I can't imagine somebody making that tiny offer with a atraight face. Confused, she went to get some consultation from the bank. Upon returning to the portal, the 15k was taken away.

https://www.mollymoon.com

Edited by pacman

On 4/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Deej said:

I heard their lease was expiring and couldn't come to terms with the landlord on a new one. 

Been pretty common of late, it seems. Wonderful small-time restaurant gets sudden jump in rent that it can't take on. Closes. Lot sits empty for all of time.

I am not sure I understand these commercial real estate decisions that shuts down a sure thing just to try and gouge their customer.

Edited by pacman

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

Been pretty common of late, it seems. Wonderful small-time restaurant gets sudden jump in rent that it can't take on. Closes. Lot sits empty for all of time.

I am not sure I understand these commercial real estate decisions that shuts down a sure thing just to try and gouge their customer.

I don't think you're going to need to understand that insane model for quite some time.  There's going to be so much vacant real estate that new businesses will be able to damned near name their rent.