Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Bartenders there who are close friends have told me they are looking at their employment options. Not feeling good about it surviving.

I don't know how the service industry comes back.  So many of these folks aren't going to have jobs when the economy starts to "come back."

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yeah, we’re all going to come out of this growing our own food and sewing our own clothes. No exceptions.

I said so many of them won't have jobs -- not all of them.  But we're going to lose a LOT of local bars and restaurants.  Enough to put a real dent in the economy, and in service industry jobs.

52 minutes ago, pacman said:

We had friends open a wonderful cafe, very popular. After initial lease was up, the company tripled the lease and wouldn't budge on negotiations.

They closed up shop and the place is still vacant 9 months later.

Some landlords are just plain stoopid.

I can understand being bummed about EyM closing.  It was not my favorite but it was ok. 

Thredgills and Mag were just shitty and/or gross in recent years. The success of both harken back to days when this city was a restaurant wasteland.  Both were terribly overrated.  Sucks for the employees, but the CV was hardly the was the final straw for these two. 

I'm not sure if the Trudy's is going to emerge from bankruptcy, but losing it would be no great loss either.

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 1:41 PM, Deej said:

It was shit like having dirty flatware and glasses, bringing me the bottom of a pot of coffee ("we have more brewing" um, I would have waited), and shit like that which turned me off. It was like they were rehearsing for an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. When the front of house is nasty, I don't even want to know what's going on in the kitchen.

This is exactly why I never shed a tear when Las Manitas shut down.  There's only so many times you can tolerate dirty silverware and lipstick stained glasses for the sake of average Tex Mex and nostalgia. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, YChang said:

I'm gonna miss the history of the place and those fried green tomatoes... or at least my memories of 'em. 

It had gone down in quality considerably in recent years, but still....it was a decent spot for a fix of home cooking (I almost always got a mixed veggie plate).  And, we ate there my daughter's last night in the country before she left for college, for a last taste of "home," so a little nostalgia there.  It was also one of the first "nice" restaurants (as in, not GM steakhouse or taco bell) that I ate at when I got to UT in the late 80s -- buddy's parents took us out to eat there.  Sigh.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I said so many of them won't have jobs -- not all of them.  But we're going to lose a LOT of local bars and restaurants.  Enough to put a real dent in the economy, and in service industry jobs.

That's a lot of defaulted loans for the banks to handle too.

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

At that time (1962) the old Confederate Soldiers’ home just off Lake Austin Blvd.was still full of Civil War widows.

And it rained pussy every weekend for you, amirite?  

6 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I can understand being bummed about EyM closing.  It was not my favorite but it was ok. 

Thredgills and Mag were just shitty and/or gross in recent years. The success of both harken back to days when this city was a restaurant wasteland.  Both were terribly overrated.  Sucks for the employees, but the CV was hardly the was the final straw for these two. 

I'm not sure if the Trudy's is going to emerge from bankruptcy, but losing it would be no great loss either.

Trudys was our go-to after games for 27 years, up until 2-3 years ago, Place has completely gone to shit...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We're gonna be left with nothing but fucking subways, applebees and chilis.  JFC. 

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

All these places will be taken over by mattress stores. 

Either one of these, probably both.

This may well be the death of locally owned restaurants, and the expansion of nothing but national chains to fill the spaces.  Furk.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:10 PM, Deej said:

This shit will take out what was left of old Austin. Mayor Adler excited about that.

You're on deck, Draught House, Ginny's, Buddy's and C. Hunt's.

Adler's real "Vision Zero" right on schedule.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:23 PM, Brisketexan said:

God I miss that cheeseburger.  Some of the best vitamin G of my life.

This!  

Added bonus watching GM workers making Betty Sorority Bowheads who didn't understand the schtick cry the makeup off their faces.

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Either one of these, probably both.

This may well be the death of locally owned restaurants, and the expansion of nothing but national chains to fill the spaces.  Furk.

That's the design...just like 90% of the foods in grocery stores come from four companies...

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

cuz they're really good?  And local?

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'll bet the people who feed their kids by working there can answer this question better than anyone here.

So which ones are unimportant, thus the need for the qualifier in the tweet?  The ones that aren’t as good, aren’t local, and don’t employ a few people?