Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

Texas St. Armadillos

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That very article suggests that the lab leak theory was suppressed by various elements of the Trump administration for diplomatic and political reasons.  And does not implicate Fauci at all.

It wasn't meant to.  It was meant to illustrate how early on, when someone at the very pinnacle of virology, the head of the CDC itself, dared step outside the narrative was attacked and threatened.  It was meant to illustrate how significant certain scientists felt about their entire field of GOF research being threatened.  Faicu just happens to be basically the godfather of GOF research....

Trump changed course quickly as did many nations as stated earlier when China threatened to withhold all their PPE so desperately needed.  They nationalized all the factories which accounted for roughly HALF of the worlds PPE equipment.  That's a big stick to threaten with.  For Australia, they shut down the Aussies two biggest exports to China and sent their economy into a tailspin.  

Edited by BabaYaga

14 hours ago, Nivek said:

There is another side that believes in evidence, but they can have opinions, and do not confuse the two and do not feel violated when presented with contrary evidence.

Fine, but there is a shit ton more evidence for the lab leak theory than believing a bat bit a pangolin that was able to walk a thousand miles and then bit a human and magically disappeared nor did it leave ANY other traces or have any other animals infected that were found as well....which just happens to be the case in every other corona virus outbreak.

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In all fairness to Baba, he has been beating that drum for a long time.  I don't agree with him completely.  I don't think that genetic manipulation was involved, if anything just culturing and maybe some passage stuff which is only borderline GOF at best. But it's been discussed in a bit of depth for a while here. 

Some of y'all need to be best. 

tumblr_n4cp4j9hpE1ro8ysbo1_400.gifv

Apparently they ran the virus thousands of times through the lungs of mice with human lung tissue, tracking it's mutations and how it was able to bind with the ACE2 receptor specifically.  While not direct manipulation, there were able to isolate for focus on very distinct mutations and carry them forward thousands of times.  It was this advanced, specific,  and extreme evolution that caught so many scientists eyes early.  Such as the before mentioned CDC head Robert Redfield or Mat Pottinger, deputy director at the NSA

Fine, but there is a shit ton more evidence for the lab leak theory than believing a bat bit a pangolin that was able to walk a thousand miles and then bit a human and magically disappeared nor did it leave ANY other traces or have any other animals infected that were found as well....which just happens to be the case in every other corona virus outbreak.

What is the evidence?

There is a lack of evidence that it came from a wet market, based on what I read earlier, but conducting investigations in a totalitarian regime is going to be difficult.

And a lack of evidence is not the same as a smoking gun for another hypothesis.

Again, it could have very well come from a lab. Do you think jumping on a solution without evidence first makes you insightful? Because I see it as a broken clock scenario.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What is the evidence?

There is a lack of evidence that it came from a wet market, based on what I read earlier, but conducting investigations in a totalitarian regime is going to be difficult.

And a lack of evidence is not the same as a smoking gun for another hypothesis.

Again, it could have very well come from a lab. Do you think jumping on a solution without evidence first makes you insightful? Because I see it as a broken clock scenario.

China completely disavowed the wet market theory early on in the pandemic.  Try again.

What we do have are mountains of circumstantial evidence for the lab leak and virtually nothing for the spill over theory other than a magic pangolin walking a thousand miles and biting someone and them disappearing with ZERO trace anywhere along the way.  But sure...

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

There is significantly more "evidence" to the lab leak theory than the natural spill over theory.  Does that not warrant a vigorous, 9/11-level investigation?

Yes please.  Let's include how the Executive Branch handled this pandemic as well.   

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Yes please.  Let's include how the Executive Branch handled this pandemic as well.   

All for it, personally.  I want to see a full and complete post-mortem, examining the response, starting at the international/global level (because that's how you nip future pandemics in the bud), to the US federal level, state level, all the way down to the local level of local governments and charitable organizations.  Every entity that had a material role in responding to the pandemic - let's look at how they functioned, with an objective eye.

Because it would be really fucking wise for us to figure this shit out, so we can be better situated to handle the NEXT pandemic (and there will be a next one).  That's what a responsible society would do.

So, we won't do anything like that.  Any effort - if one even takes place - will just be more political bullshittery.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So, we won't do anything like that.  Any effort - if one even takes place - will just be more political bullshittery.

Why I said it needs to be commission based:  forensic, and neither political OR scientific.  We have an $80B/yr IC that like on 9/11, completely dropped the ball.  We need to know why.  NBC has always been in their purview:  nuclear, biological, & chemical.  

As stated, the Deputy Director of the NSA, Mat Pottinger also brought this forward early on that it was very, very likely that it was lab based.  This take was summarily dismissed.  My hypothesis has always been that it both implicated China, and us (funding and knowledge of the specific GOF work being done).  Maybe?  Maybe not?  But that is where we need to start.  The origin story.

1 hour ago, faps said:

Picked up some parts at Maxwell Ford a couple of weeks ago. They have a fucking retard working there.

PXL_20210521_212228226 (1).jpg

2021-06-04 10_50_11-PXL_20210521_212228226 (1).jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png

I'd have called him a fucking idiot to his face, left the parts on the counter and walked out. Then I'd have called Maxwell, asked for the GM, and told them he creeped on my young daughter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd have called him a fucking idiot to his face, left the parts on the counter and walked out. Then I'd have called Maxwell, asked for the GM, and told them he creeped on my young daughter. 

Regardless, that's just bad business.

Can't imagine that that's allowed without the consent of management and ownership.

2 hours ago, faps said:

Picked up some parts at Maxwell Ford a couple of weeks ago. They have a fucking retard working there.

PXL_20210521_212228226 (1).jpg

2021-06-04 10_50_11-PXL_20210521_212228226 (1).jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png

Dumb.  Don't require masks?  Say so.  Leave it at that.  Or better yet, you want to get "back to normal", how about take them all down and get back to doing your job and quit trying to fucking ice skate uphill.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Can't imagine that that's allowed without the consent of management and ownership.

No shit.  Dealerships make most of their nut in the service department anyway.  That's their cash cow, so why so aggressive?

I'm not saying I hope this is the case or that I would condone it, at all, but frankly I would not be  surprised in the least if China manufactured the fucking virus and intentionally let it out knowing what would happen and that they did it to ensure that Trump did not get a second term as president.  I really wouldn't.  If I'm China, I'm that pissed at him over all the trade war bullshit and worried about what the fuck he might do militarily or otherwise.  The odds are nil of anyone able to conduct an independent investigation inside China to find out the truth, so they would never get caught.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, really, it's a perfect GQP thing.  It involves blame, racism, name calling, and diversion from Trump.  

Witnessing some of those things within this thread is something else. There is so much work to be done to get people pulled out of the death cult's alternate reality.

Edited by UpperWestside

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I have got to say that reading about this alternate reality

Witnessing some of those things within this thread is something else. There is so much work to be done to get people pulled out of the death cult's alternate reality.

and this is one of the few cases where "both sides" actually applies

19 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm not saying I hope this is the case or that I would condone it, at all, but frankly I would not be  surprised in the least if China manufactured the fucking virus and intentionally let it out knowing what would happen and that they did it to ensure that Trump did not get a second term as president.  I really wouldn't.  If I'm China, I'm that pissed at him over all the trade war bullshit and worried about what the fuck he might do militarily or otherwise.  The odds are nil of anyone able to conduct an independent investigation inside China to find out the truth, so they would never get caught.

AnchoredNegativeBlackrussianterrier-size

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

If we are going to pull this thread, you'd have to include what was going on in Hong Kong at the time of the outbreak.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and this is one of the few cases where "both sides" actually applies

We have an incredible amount of work to do as a society. I am in no way shocked by what I have read in this thread from people who dislike Dr. Fauci, but the reasoning is just out there. It's still incredible to see this 9/11 truther style of thinking so permeating certain segments of society, specifically the origin of COVID since that's what is being written about here. I kind of feel sad for these folks who go down these rabbit holes that will wind up leaving their mind in somewhat of a mess with all the attached conspiracies they will read about along the way.

30 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If we are going to pull this thread, you'd have to include what was going on in Hong Kong at the time of the outbreak.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pull this thread," but I don't think China would be advantaged in the Hong Kong kerfuffle by creating a deadly pandemic.  Trump was antagonistic toward China on trade because of his "transactional nature" and belief that China has been getting over on the U.S. for decades. He used it as a political talking point, telling his base what they already thought was true. The U.S. is among the parties holding the line on Hong Kong, but Trump was no more or less likely to be strong on that position.  Trade - a different story altogether.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

All sorts of crazy shit like this happens at car dealerships all the time. It’s not your normal business. Everyone on commission and usually constant turnover=almost anything goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

frankly I would not be  surprised in the least if China manufactured the fucking virus and intentionally let it out knowing what would happen and that they did it to ensure that Trump did not get a second term as president

conspiracy theory mood GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

LOL. Stupid post of the day. Congrats.

The Chinese did it intentionally to fuck over trump! That must be it!

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Rick sums up my thoughts on this.

the pivot has been amazing. all you got to do is go back to the former daily texan thread in the middle of last year, and the venn diagram is just basically a circle on this thread alone. 

• Like 2

Maybe the US Govt. DID find out this was manufactured, and this is why they went to the extremes with the masks, distancing, closing everything down, etc?  Not wanting to cause a panic telling the world this was "created."  (Even though panic occured anyway)  I don't remember ever being told to wear a mask in my lifetime.  (Born in '72)

After tariffs on Chinese goods and basically telling them to get fucked, why would they not "release," something?  Knowing it could have the potential of shutting us down in the process.

Hell, none of us know if we're right or wrong about this, but you have to think the timing was a bit odd.

Edited by Rip76

Agree with the sentiment that we need to do a postmortem of this whole ordeal to find out what worked and what didn’t in preparation for the next one as well as what people knew and when they knew it.   

Wasn’t planning on posting in this thread at all but had to comment on something else that came up.  Who the fuck isn’t supporting an investigation into 1/6?  Some of you really think “nah we don’t need to look into how or why some pieces of shit rubbed literal shit on the walls of the capitol.”  I mean a fucking confederate flag was marched through that bitch!!! Fuck off and die in a fucking fire traitor pieces of shit 

out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

5c53y1.jpg

I gotta say, your positions on China and Russia seem very inconsistent. Both have been bad actors, and yet you seem to believe that Russia was no big deal and we should ignore it while simultaneously believing we should slam China against the wall. I really don't understand the difference in attitude. I understand that China's actions (assuming it was a lab leak) resulted in a greater negative outcome. But both countries have behaved poorly. And China's, in this instance, was at least not intentionally aimed at us. It seems you should want a full investigation and pursuit of both countries. But you apparently don't. Can you explain that to me? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

haha, this guy gets it

We have millions of people who seem hard-wired to accept some form of this conspiracy theory. I kind of wonder what it is in their personal life that is so troubling that they spend an inordinate amount of time making the construct of their life built around an alternate reality where things like this make perfect sense to them. 

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I gotta say, your positions on China and Russia seem very inconsistent. Both have been bad actors, and yet you seem to believe that Russia was no big deal and we should ignore it while simultaneously believing we should slam China against the wall. I really don't understand the difference in attitude. I understand that China's actions (assuming it was a lab leak) resulted in a greater negative outcome. But both countries have behaved poorly. And China's, in this instance, was at least not intentionally aimed at us. It seems you should want a full investigation and pursuit of both countries. But you apparently don't. Can you explain that to me? 

You mischaracterize my positions, of course.  I will assume out of just simple laziness rather than malice.

I think that I have been quite moderate wrt my perspective on the lab origin issue.  If you really want to rehash and make some line by line comparisons of the postures of certain posters here wrt various russia and china related discussions, including yourself in that, that would be fun.  Maybe a different thread, and some time later, after happy hour and the Todd Snider concert tonight. 

Edited by Anastasis

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You mischaracterize my positions, of course.  I will assume out of just simple laziness rather than malice.

I think that I have been quite moderate wrt my perspective on the lab origin issue.  If you really want to rehash and make some line by line comparisons of the postures of certain posters here wrt various russia and china related discussions, including yourself in that, that would be fun.  Maybe a different thread, and some time later, after happy hour and the Todd Snider concert tonight. 

I'm not trying to mischaracterize your positions and I don't appreciate the snide "of course."

The only thing I have to go on is your nay saying on anything Russia and your outspoken support for investigating China. I don't know that I've ever actually seen you state any support for investigating Russia's conduct, certainly nothing like you've done for China. I might suspect that is because you've felt the "investigate Russia" position was well represented on this board already. You seem to mostly enjoy posting about the less covered side of things, which I do understand. But, as I said, there seems to be an inconsistency in your posting about each topic. Am I correct in my reasoning why or is there something else that distinguishes them in your mind? 

Edited by Dahobbs

22 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Which conservative talk show discussed gain of function in the last week? The DT types are reeeeeeeeeeeeal horny about that all of a sudden

Can you be in the camp that doesn't gaf about right or left conspiracy theories or a political scoreboard and just wants this properly investigated? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1