Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's cool.  There's ample "I'm not enjoying myself" to go around.  No need to be greedy.

yeah, but you throw your misery out there like a fucking medal.

It's more specialer than that of the normal man with a smaller heart.

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

yeah, but you throw your misery out there like a fucking medal.

It's more specialer than that of the normal man with a smaller heart.

Well, don't blame me if you're not sophisticated enough to appreciate the craftsmanship of fine, American artisanal misery.  You probably indulge in cheap, Chinese misery and think it's just as good.  Philistine. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, don't blame me if you're not sophisticated enough to appreciate the craftsmanship of fine, American artisanal misery.  You probably indulge in cheap, Chinese misery and think it's just as good.  Philistine. 

Total consciousness for someone not enjoying themselves is when they get schadenfreude regarding their own personal situation.  Who then feel bad about enjoying their own bad time...

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seen @Iceman diggin in the dumpster behind Family Dollar for cheap Chinese misery they'd thrown out. I beeped the horn and he popped up, looked at me, then he dove back in. His eyes was all glazed over, like some kinda meth raccoon.

I ain't sayin I'm any better, see. I ain't judgin. Times are tough, we all gonna hit the breakin point some day soon. I reckon I better start pissin on nice dumpsters, establish my territory before I need it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

says the Messican...

Well, I started a new job a few weeks ago after being out of work for a while. The timing could not have been better, really. I’m on boarding remotely which has been difficult, but I’m learning and everyone I’ve spoken to has been helpful and understanding. My sons grades are actually better than when he is at school (maybe it’s the teachers?) and my wife has settled into her tele-therapy routine fairly nicely. We have pretty nice weather in the Houston area over the last couple of weeks. Most nights I drink some whiskey and either sit on the porch or in the spa and listen to the Grateful Dead. I have no commute, we have plenty of food and alcohol, and I don’t have the ronas as far as I know. I’ll be going to the family lake house this weekend since I really really need a change of scenery. My son and I will spend all weekend fishing and swimming in the lake and probably build a bon fire at night. Life is actually not too bad at the Hate household. Oh, and I’m going golfing after work tomorrow.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well, I started a new job a few weeks ago after being out of work for a while. The timing could not have been better, really. I’m on boarding remotely which has been difficult, but I’m learning and everyone I’ve spoken to has been helpful and understanding. My sons grades are actually better than when he is at school (maybe it’s the teachers?) and my wife has settled into her tele-therapy routine fairly nicely. We have pretty nice weather in the Houston area over the last couple of weeks. Most nights I drink some whiskey and either sit on the porch or in the spa and listen to the Grateful Dead. I have no commute, we have plenty of food and alcohol, and I don’t have the ronas as far as I know. I’ll be going to the family lake house this weekend since I really really need a change of scenery. My son and I will spend all weekend fishing and swimming in the lake and probably build a bon fire at night. Life is actually not too bad at the Hate household. Oh, and I’m going golfing after work tomorrow.

Great...Where's the lakehouse?

Totally missing hanging with family and friends, and the trips we missed because of this fucking thing.  Seeing what it's doing to other folks really sucks.

Working from home has allowed me to get the house finished for sale this month. We've been eating way better than we should.

I've actually picked up 6 new commissions for work, and not a single client has put a project on hold.  I don't now how long that goes on, but right now I'm as busy as I was before this thing hit us.

Minus the spa and new job stuff, this is me right now. We are even going to our lake house this weekend. Where is yours? We are on a small lake called camp creek, about 30 miles North of Bryan.

Ultimately, compared to a lot of folks out there, I am probably doing pretty damned well.  I have job security.  My friends and family are all ok and doing well.  I have a large apartment, and my dogs are good companions.  I have the ability to take scenic walks (Springtime in NYC is not horrible) and have a water rowing machine at the house, so I am not sedentary.  I have plenty of booze/food.  

However, I am in the doldrums.  Part of what was making NYC awesome this time around is I had the money to enjoy the city.  It is nice to be saving a lot, but damned, I miss the bars, restaurants, and shopping.  I miss being able to go to a world class museum because I am bored.  

I have started going back into the office (we are an essential business) as are some of my colleagues.  We all live alone, and are at the point of saying, hey, if we stay far apart enough, can we hang out together at home (I mean, we are already hanging out together in the office).  They want to come play with the dogs, and the dogs are not allowed in our office building.  Plus, they have seen my bar stash and are envious (I am envious of their outdoor space, as they all have terraces and I do not).  

I am trying to make the most of it.  I am starting to work on the travel site again.  Trying to look at what I have experienced, and look back on it fondly.  I have even started doing Row the "Famous River in Tourist Location" as a way to break up the rowing workouts.  

However, we are 6 weeks in on this, with at least another 5 to go.  It is tough.

Ok, I am done now.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 6:12 PM, JBJ said:

But my wife is going absolute batshit from social media drama overdose.  She's constantly playing victim to random posters and internet articles and she's counting on me to validate her victim fantasy.  I'm playing with fire every time I leave my home-office.  It's like Cloak Room, but with real life consequences.

I feel bad for posting this now.  It ended up being actual depression, which my wife suffers from sparsely and mildly, but enough that I probably should have seen it coming.  Especially given the circumstances.  Lasted about a week and she is normal again.

Kind of amazing how twitter behavior and mood disorders are so hard to distinguish between.

I had enough Liqour, and it is dwindling.  I had enough patience, but it is fading.  I miss my family.  I haven’t met my 5 week old nephew.   My wife is 4.5 months pregnant.   I’m shopping for my family, my M-I-L, and my wife’s grandfather.  I’m doing yard projects for us, my M-I-L, and 2 or 3 families at church, and helping locate, purchase, and distribute food to families in need.  I love helping people, but it’d be good if I could kickstart the 2 years worth of business I had ready to rock in January so I could make sure my own family is whole.    I’m tired.  But I’m having fun nonetheless.  I take all of this with a laugh and a smile, because I know I’ll pull through somehow. 

im just wondering how I’m going to discontinue prolific day drinking 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I had enough Liqour, and it is dwindling.  I had enough patience, but it is fading.  I miss my family.  I haven’t met my 5 week old nephew.   My wife is 4.5 months pregnant.   I’m shopping for my family, my M-I-L, and my wife’s grandfather.  I’m doing yard projects for us, my M-I-L, and 2 or 3 families at church, and helping locate, purchase, and distribute food to families in need.  I love helping people, but it’d be good if I could kickstart the 2 years worth of business I had ready to rock in January so I could make sure my own family is whole.    I’m tired.  But I’m having fun nonetheless.  I take all of this with a laugh and a smile, because I know I’ll pull through somehow. 

im just wondering how I’m going to discontinue prolific day drinking 

Switch over to weed.  Sounds like your days are full....

Been very busy at work. But no commute on mopac has offset the extra hours kind of. Been starting day drinking earlier and earlier each week. Going back to the office will be tough but I’d like to at this point.

Just glad my wife and i are employed. It’s rough out there

• Like 1

Been very busy at work. But no commute on mopac has offset the extra hours kind of. Been starting day drinking earlier and earlier each week. Going back to the office will be tough but I’d like to at this point.

Just glad my wife and i are employed. It’s rough out there

Absolutely this. I’m so grateful to have gotten my job when I did because I know how tough it is out there right now. I feel for anyone going through this. I know their pain as I was out of work for a year. I’m so grateful for my wife and I both to be working and doing very well during this time. I can’t wait to finally go to the office. It’s been too long since I’ve gone in to the office. I miss it. That will probably wear off pretty quickly and I’ll wish I could stay in bed until 7:50 and still make it to work on time.

I never want to see my office again, except for a meeting here and there. When I’m in my office, I can go days with out talking to anyone. I have a very specific job and if people forget about me, it means I’m doing great. I’m currently busy again and getting 40hrs a week project time, so that’s an improvement.

I am one of the lucky ones. My job is good and my wife’s company is kicking ass. I feel for those not as fortunate. My sister was laid off. Luckily, her fiancé has a good job, so she’s ok. My step dad is out at the Exxon plant being built in Baytown. He won’t stop going to work. It will eventually kill him, which is what I think he wants.

• Like 2

I learned to knit and have watched probably 50 movies. I mean honestly I could keep going, although I drove by where my wife and I dance on the way to Central Market today and that gave me a time stamp reminder of how long this has been going on. Geez.

9683b05b1df0585661677711b592722c.jpg

• Like 2

Send me a PM if interested in playing poker at the $25-50 buy-in level. We play on Poker Stars at night, usually 8:00 or later.

It would be easier if you’d give me routing info so I can just wire $300 to your account now and go to bed.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

The day to day is fine. I love the extra time spent with my daughter before she goes off to college. Our evening walks, usually to go get some dinner from a local place have become the joy of my day. With no cops around I usually have a few beers in my bag and I am enjoying this. 

What sucks is we were going to start two big projects overseas in July and I don't see that happening. The funding remains, but start dates keep sliding. I was looking forward to getting back into the operations side after 5 years of single dad. I miss flying into shithole countries and implementing a development project. 

The onset of summer means I will retreat more inside during the day and not spend it working from my back patio listening to the awesome birds of Texas. 

• Like 3

Ohio extended lockdown to May 29.  No, not enjoying myself.

OHSAA extended no-contact period for coaches to May 31.  No, not enjoying myself.

Ohio Dept. of Health closed all school facilities through June 30.  No, not enjoying myself.

OHSAA has muddy wording that says no-contact is in place as long as school facilities are close.   No, not enjoying myself.

Me I had some second-growth choppin fun, clearing Yucatan-esque jungle. Then I look down, and see that I am at the edge of the lushest, prettiest patch of poison ivy I have ever seen.

It was only mid-afternoon, I guess I coulda sprayed Round Up on it, but once back on the deck I decided it was wine-drankin time.

Pos, mañana weyyyyy...

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 8:01 PM, Celery Man said:

I learned to knit and have watched probably 50 movies. I mean honestly I could keep going, although I drove by where my wife and I dance on the way to Central Market today and that gave me a time stamp reminder of how long this has been going on. Geez.

9683b05b1df0585661677711b592722c.jpg

ActiveCoarseHyrax-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

I feel like our little bubble has been as vigilant as possible and most of the folks we run around with have been strict lock down for at least 6 weeks. In the past few days I’ve heard more and more about families who have been isolating starting to together with other families for dinner / beers / play dates with kids. My first reaction is this is not acceptable but then I drive down Barton springs and see the new ski shores (one of my favorite 1/4 miles in Austin but they just can’t get any decent food there - ski shores is shit without a lake next to it and chuys / shady are what they are but that area could do so much better) is crowded and the park is covered up and I think we’ll it’s a lot better than that. Any thoughts on families that have been isolating getting together to see each other for a bit?

45 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

I feel like our little bubble has been as vigilant as possible and most of the folks we run around with have been strict lock down for at least 6 weeks. In the past few days I’ve heard more and more about families who have been isolating starting to together with other families for dinner / beers / play dates with kids. My first reaction is this is not acceptable but then I drive down Barton springs and see the new ski shores (one of my favorite 1/4 miles in Austin but they just can’t get any decent food there - ski shores is shit without a lake next to it and chuys / shady are what they are but that area could do so much better) is crowded and the park is covered up and I think we’ll it’s a lot better than that. Any thoughts on families that have been isolating getting together to see each other for a bit?

That's what I've been doing. I don't see why putting yourself in absolute isolation when everybody also been doing a good job not getting sick is going to get you sick.

You’re multiplying your risk. Everyone is doing a great job but humans do human things, everyone’s going to the store, it’s super infectious, people aren’t great at doing what they say they do or being vigilant or washing hands, etc. One person in the group gets infected the likelihood of the whole group getting infected skyrockets, and now the group has a lot more to people in it.  Not really judging - if I was living alone I think I’d probably have “quarantine” buddies.  You may have trustworthy friends and you feel it’s worth the risk. But you are much more at risk to bring it into your home if you’re combining quarantine households with other families.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, Hate said:

It’s been too long since I’ve gone in to the office. I miss it. That will probably wear off pretty quickly and I’ll wish I could stay in bed until 7:50 and still make it to work on time.

This. I remember missing being in an office setting after a couple of years doing WFH and did a brief stint with an office commute and by the second week of sitting in traffic I decided that WFH was the only way work. Office life is a drag and definitely not worth the time it takes to commute.

• Like 3

Mrs. Canecutter and I had our first blow-up in 8 weeks. It was about nothing, but probably still my fault. Lots of yelling downstairs, yelling upstairs, then I was like "What are we doing here? Is this a scene from some comedy movie where ethnic types yell at each other?" My Joe Pesci ploy worked, and my Marissa Tomei laughed.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo
On 5/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, Goofyboy said:

Plenty of beer and sun this weekend. We got one of our boat lifts working so we can clean up and fix the bass boat. My sisters lizard even got some rays:

032d632903a597899963c76b3c1c6856.jpg

which lake is that? 

which lake is that? 

Camp Creek. It’s a 900 acre lake North of Bryan. Family has had property there since the 60’s. My mom and step dad tore down the old house and built a new one in 2008. Mom died two years ago, so now my sister and I own it. It’s my favorite place to go.

bf3993599eb45fc19e6706c64b2dc12e.jpg
  • Like 1