Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

The gorgeous weather this week was a treat, but even then I'd be out riding my bike or walking the dogs and remember that I'm only out doing this on a weekday b/c the world is shut down and I ain't got shit to do for work. Each day feels like a rerun of the day before with only slight variances. Really wish we had a bought beach house when we were talking about it years ago. Would have much rather spent these last few weeks down on the coast fishing and fixing up stuff than trying to find ways to keep from going stir crazy in a shut-down Houston. 

The thing I really try to keep in perspective is that I have to believe this will be quite likely be one of the worst years of my life, and all things considered, it could be a hell of a lot worse. Wife and I are both in good health and relatively financially secure (fingers crossed it stays that way). Things will eventually get better, and I'd like to think I'll appreciate everyday life more going forward. The next time I go out to dinner with friends, the next time I meet old co-workers for a drink, the next baseball game I attend..etc.. will have a much greater significance than almost any that has come before. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

The next time I go out to dinner with friends, the next time I meet old co-workers for a drink, the next baseball game I attend..etc.. will have a much greater significance than almost any that has come before. 

That is most definitely true.

This experience will absolutely be in my mind as I experience what used to be "ordinary" and relish it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That is most definitely true.

This experience will absolutely be in my mind as I experience what used to be "ordinary" and relish it.

I have several small kids, I already relish it free time away from the family.   However, I think there might be a shift for people to want to spend more time with their families and work less.  Also loyalty to organizations will be even shittier in lieu of how many have behaved.

• Like 1

Today was rough. Pulled the trigger on cancelling a summer family trip to California. Disneyland ain’t gonna be open and Taylor Swift cancelled all her concerts. The girls were pretty upset. Anybody else rescheduling summer plans? I’m thinking Florida beach will be a go. 

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Went for a long walk to knock out my co-morbidities. Heard voices above me-- two small children 12 feet up a tree, climbing it like animals, no supervision. 50/50 chance of hitting concrete if they fell, fuggit, they're mostly cartilage.

Up until two weeks ago, those kids would have been bubble-wrapped and micro-scheduled. But now it's 1967 again, and Mom said "go outside and play." Mom's probably watching a game show and painting her nails. I bet if I come back next week, they'll have some lawn darts back out, and Dad will be smoking a cigarette and drinking a Schlitz in a folding chair, Johnny Unitas on the radio.

***fade out***

***Fade in**** Jesse Pinkman is chained to a huge piece of industrial equipment making meth for his captors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

I have several small kids, I already relish it free time away from the family.   However, I think there might be a shift for people to want to spend more time with their families and work less.  Also loyalty to organizations will be even shittier in lieu of how many have behaved.

It definitely swings both ways.   It’s nice spending more time with the kids than I used to.  But too much of a good thing is overwhelming.  It has put a strain on the marriage, as I think both of us are less tolerant of the things that bug us about the other.  I have made a point of escaping to my boat one weekend night per week.  But I usually just make food, get a little drunk, and then pass out.  Actually it’s pretty glorious.  Doing it tomorrow.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Today was rough. Pulled the trigger on cancelling a summer family trip to California. Disneyland ain’t gonna be open and Taylor Swift cancelled all her concerts. The girls were pretty upset. Anybody else rescheduling summer plans? I’m thinking Florida beach will be a go. 

Pretty sure Florida beaches are already back open

• Like 2

2 weeks in Scandinavia in June down the tubes.
  • Like 1

i'm an introvert.  we don't go out or socialize as most, outside small family gatherings or work or rare stuff.

the first couple weeks working from home..."this is awesome!"  i was actually more productive.  that feeling has slowly diminished.

now i'm starting to worry about reintegrating.  the first family gatherings for birthdays...hell, the first face-to-face meetings in the office...i kinda miss that stuff.  it might get dusty.  and i'll have to shower and not wear pajamas.

6 minutes ago, AgentZero said:

i'm an introvert.  we don't go out or socialize as most, outside small family gatherings or work or rare stuff.

the first couple weeks working from home..."this is awesome!"  i was actually more productive.  that feeling has slowly diminished.

now i'm starting to worry about reintegrating.  the first family gatherings for birthdays...hell, the first face-to-face meetings in the office...i kinda miss that stuff.  it might get dusty.  and i'll have to shower and not wear pajamas.

And remember not to scratch your balls at will.

• Haha 1

I am enjoying the gnashing of teeth, handwringing, and wailing at the absolute horror of not having a high school graduation ceremony.  You know what I would have given not to go to mine?  Both of my kids sat through 1000+ names for theirs and neither would have gone if their Momma hadn't insisted upon it.  It's a fucking boring ass ceremony with very, very little substance.   I don't understand the value being assigned to it right now as some grim tragic loss precipitated by the Cv-19 virus.

I'd be happy as fuck if I were in their shoes, as a parent and damned sure as the student.

Now, the kids who lost their baseball/softball seasons, that's a different discussion...or especially the Boys state tournament basketball qualifiers. I do feel for them.  Otherwise, Seniors are still going to graduate.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 4

I’m very fortunate to be able to work anywhere in the world and my boss does not care where I am. My son has had a nightmare of an experience with public education (he’s been injured by SPED teacher and generally does not fit public education). He’s learned more in the past three weeks than he did from August until November. He’s now on 5th grade math, reading and writing in cursive and generally just happy.

My stress level has gone to zero. This has been good for my family.

• Like 3

I am enjoying the gnashing of teeth, handwringing, and wailing at the absolute horror of not having a high school graduation ceremony.  You know what I would have given not to go to mine?  Both of my kids sat through 1000+ names for theirs and neither would have gone if their Momma hadn't insisted upon it.  It's a fucking boring ass ceremony with very, very little substance.   I don't understand the value being assigned to it right now as some grim tragic loss precipitated by the Cv-19 virus.
I'd be happy as fuck if I were in their shoes, as a parent and damned sure as the student.
Now, the kids who lost their baseball/softball seasons, that's a different discussion...or especially the Boys state tournament basketball qualifiers. I do feel for them.  Otherwise, Seniors are still going to graduate.
I don't like this thing that is important to other people so I'm happy to see them upset about not getting to do it! God you're a cunt.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
2 hours ago, Iceman said:

I don't like this thing that is important to other people so I'm happy to see them upset about not getting to do it! God you're a cunt.

I am grateful this is their big problem to deal with.

Ain't that a great life?

• Like 1

I cannot complain at all. There is some uncertainty about the future for my daughter and going to university, but we will deal with it when the time comes. I have been working remote since 2008 so that has not been a change for me. If anything my clients who insisted on face to face meetings at their offices are now seeing it is not always needed. 

During the SIP I do what I can to stay busy catching up on a few things I never seemed to have the time to do. Rebuilt an old KONA bike, built a few lego architecture sets, teaching my daughter some good college student recipes and some forgotten music from earlier eras. We run the dogs every evening, planted a garden at the local food bank (on a Sunday when no one was there), do a virtual happy hour with friends twice a week. I love the time I get to spend with my daughter before she is off to college. I watch a few old baseball games a week while FaceTiming with my son. 

My clients have been bad ass. One put all the consultants on an 8 week full time schedule so the team would not have to worry and would stay together. The team has become stronger and everyone is happy with their roles. We modified our schedules so those with little kids did not have to choose between parenting and work.  knowing I am a single dad they changed my roles from leading a response team to running the monitoring and off site support. 

Before the lockdown a younger friend came to stay with us. She is considered essential and did not want to face her down time alone. I cook, she tends bar, and she gets along great with my daughter. This makes it easier on me when I want to work at night. I really do not mind the surgical strikes which have started to happen more frequently. 

I miss watching my son play baseball for his club. I miss going to bars with friends. I miss walking around town or down to the river and checking out the co-eds. I realize I am fortunate and am thankful. Considering lockdowns from the past, like the Siege of Leningrad or Constantinople, I have it good. 

Oh, and this site. I like this site. Later ya Surly bastages. 

• Like 2

Ain't that a great life?
Ahh yes... The old "Well if they're complaining about this then that is the only/biggest problem they have" logical fallacy. I'm sure nobody unhappy about that has been financially impacted or gotten sick or had someone they know die. It's definitely not the worst thing I'm the world. It just seems weird to do an endzone dance on a message board because people are unhappy about it but slorch is gonna slorch.

31 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
1 hour ago, Iceman said:
Ain't that a great life?

Ahh yes... The old "Well if they're complaining about this then that is the only/biggest problem they have" logical fallacy. I'm sure nobody unhappy about that has been financially impacted or gotten sick or had someone they know die. It's definitely not the worst thing I'm the world. It just seems weird to do an endzone dance on a message board because people are unhappy about it but slorch is gonna slorch.

only it isn't a fallacy.  You have nothing, so you throw your shit.

Go fuck yourself.

Beautiful day. Cranked my beater up and drove it around for the first time in a month. I enjoy driving around neighborhoods at 20 mph with Mexican music blasting. It's the perfect speed for working tail-gating Karens of both genders  into a frenzy. I give myself points for seeing them mutter, gesticulate, or, best of all, lay on the horn.

Had a horn-blaster pull up beside me like he was gonna say some shit. He heard that Mexican Demon-Clown Oompah Beat, and suddenly he was all calm and interested in things happening elsewhere.

I mean, I wasn't mad. He coulda yelled if he wanted to.

• Like 1

Naaah, feeling pretty low tonight. Flipped through the channels, caught Billy Joe Armstrong singing Wake me up When September ends. Interspersed with scenes of empty streets of some of my favorite places in the world: Berlin, Copenhagen, London, Paris....places where I have friends. Usually alive with people, and energy, and life. Empty. Abandoned.
In the past ten years, my family has very much viewed the world with a wide lens. We have dear friends all over the world. My daughter lives in another country, and her best friends right now are in at least 5 countries that I can think of. We are comfortable in new places, and we have what’s become a fundamental view of the world as our home.
I’m from Houston. As Harvey unfolded, and I was on the phone with family and friends as the water came in, as we watched the scope fo the disaster unfold, i couldn’t take it. I remember turning to my wife with tears and telling her “those are my people. You know I’m going.”
Now, I feel the same as I watch the world - our world...all of humanity...in what I know is the beginning of a slow-moving disaster..and I feel the same. But of course...the scale is overwhelming.
I love our world, I love the breadth of humanity, the energy and smile of new friends, of new experiences that are at once foreign and a reminder of our commonality. And right now, all I can feel is mourning for all of those. My heart breaks for the entire fucking world. That’s a lot of fucking heartbreak.
Maybe I’ll feel something else tomorrow.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naaah, feeling pretty low tonight. Flipped through the channels, caught Billy Joe Armstrong singing Wake me up When September ends. Interspersed with scenes of empty streets of some of my favorite places in the world: Berlin, Copenhagen, London, Paris....places where I have friends. Usually alive with people, and energy, and life. Empty. Abandoned.
In the past ten years, my family has very much viewed the world with a wide lens. We have dear friends all over the world. My daughter lives in another country, and her best friends right now are in at least 5 countries that I can think of. We are comfortable in new places, and we have what’s become a fundamental view of the world as our home.
I’m from Houston. As Harvey unfolded, and I was on the phone with family and friends as the water came in, as we watched the scope fo the disaster unfold, i couldn’t take it. I remember turning to my wife with tears and telling her “those are my people. You know I’m going.”
Now, I feel the same as I watch the world - our world...all of humanity...in what I know is the beginning of a slow-moving disaster..and I feel the same. But of course...the scale is overwhelming.
I love our world, I love the breadth of humanity, the energy and smile of new friends, of new experiences that are at once foreign and a reminder of our commonality. And right now, all I can feel is mourning for all of those. My heart breaks for the entire fucking world. That’s a lot of fucking heartbreak.
Maybe I’ll feel something else tomorrow.

Suck it up tonight. Have a drink and kick ass tomorrow. Times are not normal. Do not try and act like they are. Just be the best you that you can be. 

You are not an internationalist, you have traveled. Accept it. Focus local, and do what you can. Your daughter is no longer overseas. Enjoy the time with her. 

I think those with a higher living standard are going to take this much harder. It is similar to countries at war. Those with means have a hard time adjusting. The poor just keep trucking on. We can all do this. But suck it up. Read some history. This shit is nothing compared to what our forefathers went through. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:23 PM, Brisketexan said:

Did a video happy hour with almost 20 old college buddies...some I hadn’t seen in 20+ years, others I see regularly, and some in between. It was great. And we decided to make it happen IRL when this is all over.

I've been playing darts with the same group of guys at a local bar here in Austin for 30 years. Oh, the bars have changed and some of the guys have left and others have joined, but the same core group.  We've been playing darts via Zoom one night a week. We all have boards set up and play just like we're in person.  Best thing of all is that I can drink as much as I want without worrying about anything as it's about 50 feet from my dart board to my bed.  It's actually pretty great.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, Sbbruin said:

It definitely swings both ways.   It’s nice spending more time with the kids than I used to.  But too much of a good thing is overwhelming.  It has put a strain on the marriage, as I think both of us are less tolerant of the things that bug us about the other.  I have made a point of escaping to my boat one weekend night per week.  But I usually just make food, get a little drunk, and then pass out.  Actually it’s pretty glorious.  Doing it tomorrow.

Did a zoom happy hour with some HS buddies last night while on board.  Fun with one who has lived in Spain for 25 years and another who has lived in Japan for about the same amount of time.  Global zooming.  Went a bit hard and am feeling it this am.  Wife just called.  They were supposed to come down, but the kids woke up late and both have a lot of homework so they aren’t.  So a solo sail it is.  And that is just fine by me.  

At deer camp by my lonesome. No CV19. Nobody for miles.  Nice breeze on a shaded porch. Bourbon in hand.  Watching the grass grow, quail eat scratch at bird feeder and deer at deer feeder.   Will spends the day’s close overlooking the Frio.  No worries.  

Unfortunately gotta leave tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Right now I'm only happy when I'm at work.  I work at a golf course and amongst the staff it might as well be a high school boys locker room.  Very unpolitically correct humor the whole day.  We're the only ones inside aside from someone coming in to use the bathroom.  Business is up through the roof.  Wednesday thru Friday alone this week was over 1000 rounds. 

Home is different altogether.   Wife is a special ed director for a school district she's on video conferencing all day.  Her kids, twins 1 boy/1 girl are both working since school is out but are both super bummed out about no prom and no grad ceremony.  Just watching TV is a beating, every commercial is coronavirus related, wash your hands, and alone together.  Like we're supposed to figuratively hold hands and sing kumbaya.   I dread being home.  Did have Friday off and got in a round with my soon to be 92 year old stepfather.  Old man still has game and shot 79 while myself and another pro played together.  Went by mom's house after and helped stepdad take down part of a tree in the backyard.  

If I actually stayed home every day I  feel pretty certain I'd go crazy, my anxiety and depression would flare up and get more dangerous than the virus for me.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, deadshank said:

At deer camp by my lonesome. No CV19. Nobody for miles.  Nice breeze on a shaded porch. Bourbon in hand.  Watching the grass grow, quail eat scratch at bird feeder and deer at deer feeder.   Will spends the day’s close overlooking the Frio.  No worries.  

Unfortunately gotta leave tomorrow.  

Watch out for bats...

Went for a long hike along a river. Skipped rocks. Fished. Ate the first two ripe dewberries of the season up here.

And when we rounded a corner, we got a nice note from Mother Nature, in her signature prickly Texas style. We needed that.

78c574d5b41b466dfec10dc49951f27a.jpg

Legs are scraped up. I smell pretty ripe. Good stuff.

• Like 7

Starting to plant stuff that the girlfriend and I will eat for summer. I found out that her parents never had a garden, so it was weird that I had to teach her the basics of growing a garden. 

I've had to do more cooking, and I decided to make my own sourdough starter for bread. I'm about to open it up in a couple minutes to see how the inside looks. I do miss resteraunts, cause it sucks cleaning dishes all the time.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Went for a long hike along a river. Skipped rocks. Fished. Ate the first two ripe dewberries of the season up here.

And when we rounded a corner, we got a nice note from Mother Nature, in her signature prickly Texas style. We needed that.

78c574d5b41b466dfec10dc49951f27a.jpg

Legs are scraped up. I smell pretty ripe. Good stuff.

Glad you had a nice day Brisket. Hope tomorrow is just as wonderful.