Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

On 5/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, Goofyboy said:

Plenty of beer and sun this weekend. We got one of our boat lifts working so we can clean up and fix the bass boat. My sisters lizard even got some rays:

032d632903a597899963c76b3c1c6856.jpg

Great picture!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Been very busy at work. But no commute on mopac has offset the extra hours kind of. Been starting day drinking earlier and earlier each week. Going back to the office will be tough but I’d like to at this point.

Just glad my wife and i are employed. It’s rough out there

Absolutely this. I’m so grateful to have gotten my job when I did because I know how tough it is out there right now. I feel for anyone going through this. I know their pain as I was out of work for a year. I’m so grateful for my wife and I both to be working and doing very well during this time. I can’t wait to finally go to the office. It’s been too long since I’ve gone in to the office. I miss it. That will probably wear off pretty quickly and I’ll wish I could stay in bed until 7:50 and still make it to work on time.

I've been pretty busy too, don't know how long it'll last but I'll take it. I was kind of starting to feel like this job had run its course for me and was planning on testing the job market this summer. That's pretty much shot more but I do feel more motivated/appreciative where I am.

I'm in no rush to go back to the office. I was always an office dweller because I didn't trust myself to work at hone and the commute was short. Now that I've gotten rolling working remote, fuck the office. They could pay us all more and we could do a baller monthly happy hour with cost savings left over instead of leasing shitty office space. My job's not real collaborative anyway. On my team the divide on wanting to go back is basically whether or not you have kids.

I'm at a point where I want everything to go back to normal except being in the office because working from home kicks ass.  Citrix makes all things possible and there's nothing I can't do from home that I can do at the office except get sideeye from Karens for skipping the monthly birthday celebration.   

• Like 1

After 6 weeks of holding it down alone at the office, the higher-ups have implemented a weekly WAH rotation. Yesterday was my first day and holy shit, it was great. Almost a tad boring, as I ran out of work to do and had to wait for the people in-house to load up the queue. So I'm doing pretty good as of today.

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Camp Creek. It’s a 900 acre lake North of Bryan. Family has had property there since the 60’s. My mom and step dad tore down the old house and built a new one in 2008. Mom died two years ago, so now my sister and I own it. It’s my favorite place to go.

bf3993599eb45fc19e6706c64b2dc12e.jpg

How’s the BBQ in Franklin?

2 hour urban hike. Poked around behind a strip mall and found a secret road that was ankle-high in poison ivy. One of those little lost segments from who knows what unfinished development, later cut off and abandoned. Now it's in an island of woods, a coyote incubator.

Probably some Narnia shit down in there.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:56 PM, Continental Op said:

I'm at a point where I want everything to go back to normal except being in the office because working from home kicks ass.  Citrix makes all things possible and there's nothing I can't do from home that I can do at the office except get sideeye from Karens for skipping the monthly birthday celebration.   

You still get monthly birthday celebrations?  Good on ya.  We had them when oil was over $100 / bbl but got rid of them when it dropped to $80. 

You know, taking care of the big cost items and shit.  Some dipshit probably got a $10K kick to their bonus for that brilliant idea.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Mrs. Canecutter and I had our first blow-up in 8 weeks. It was about nothing, but probably still my fault. Lots of yelling downstairs, yelling upstairs, then I was like "What are we doing here? Is this a scene from some comedy movie where ethnic types yell at each other?" My Joe Pesci ploy worked, and my Marissa Tomei laughed.

Marisa Tomei never got married.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

She would have married George Costanza but he f'd it up by telling her about Susan.  

to the OP's point, I would be enjoying myself if people without masks in public stopped coughing near me.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is normally the time when I finish Spring semester, and spend the whole summer doing freelance and selling at shows. The shows are done, so I ratchet back to building inventory for whenever, plus doing the internet sales thing, Internet selling has 1/6 the horsepower of doing it in person, but here we are.

So anyway, the routine isn't all that different, except nowhere to go that I want to be. Still making an effort to keep it non-routine. Ordered some old books to read so I'll have my own copies.

Yesterday time was hanging heavy on our hands, so we spun up some Youtube videos and started teaching ourselves Cantonese and Mandarin, at the same time.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:17 PM, F250 said:

This. I remember missing being in an office setting after a couple of years doing WFH and did a brief stint with an office commute and by the second week of sitting in traffic I decided that WFH was the only way work. Office life is a drag and definitely not worth the time it takes to commute.

Absolutely. They say you will become isolated and miss interacting with co-workers in person. Fuck that. I am perfectly fine by myself in my own home. I don't need their interaction or want it. I am cordial with them but does not mean I need them. This whole ordeal exposed how many jobs can be done from home. With working from home, you don't put the wear and tear on your car, save gas, no sitting in traffic, can wake up a few minutes before work and just log on and then start your day. And no dealing with office politics. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. They say you will become isolated and miss interacting with co-workers in person. Fuck that. I am perfectly fine by myself in my own home. I don't need their interaction or want it. I am cordial with them but does not mean I need them. This whole ordeal exposed how many jobs can be done from home. With working from home, you don't put the wear and tear on your car, save gas, no sitting in traffic, can wake up a few minutes before work and just log on and then start your day. And no dealing with office politics. 

That last part is a big one. In my experience the office politics is mostly eliminated when everyone is WFH.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

In New York... they're saying the air is so clear that they can see stars at night again 😁

• Like 2

Since we do not have a Memorial Day threat.... (WTF) I will share it here. I started rewriting poetry during the lock down and today wrote this one for my father and his teams. 

Sitting home, the storm resonates around me. 
I wear a copper band from a far off place. 
Recognizing the meaning and spirits it carries. 
I am thankful this Memorial Day. 

• 7 months later...

Checking back in to see if there are any other Last Japanese Soldier on the Island types here.

At my house, we still have not eaten any food prepared by anybody else since the first lockdown. Wait, I lied-- I scarfed down two hospital meals before I convinced the surgeon to send me home that same day. (You had to get a negative Covid test to be a patient, but to accompany a patient, you had no need to test so long as you hang your nose out of your mask and then just take the damn thing off to eat a cheese burger in the full waiting area, so I was told.)

My wife has her work lab locked down like the 7th level of a dungeon. The maintenance guys and campus cops used to give her the willies with their too-cool-to-mask-up ways, but since young guys in each group died of Covid, they don't act like that anymore.

I turned down my usual in-person teaching gigs after checking co-worker FB feeds and seeing idiocy.

We broke pure quarantine once, when my elderly mother's power went out in November. Brought her back to stay with us for almost a week, it was great, first time getting to hang out like normal with her in half a year.

We don't go out anywhere non-essential. It's actually pretty satisfying. The only thing I miss is I wanted to go on a funky bus trip through Mexico, like I did in the 90s. Yeah no.

Edited by RDCanecutter

On 12/31/2020 at 5:37 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Checking back in to see if there are any other Last Japanese Soldier on the Island types here.

At my house, we still have not eaten any food prepared by anybody else since the first lockdown. Wait, I lied-- I scarfed down two hospital meals before I convinced the surgeon to send me home that same day. (You had to get a negative Covid test to be a patient, but to accompany a patient, you had no need to test so long as you hang your nose out of your mask and then just take the damn thing off to eat a cheese burger in the full waiting area, so I was told.)

My wife has her work lab locked down like the 7th level of a dungeon. The maintenance guys and campus cops used to give her the willies with their too-cool-to-mask-up ways, but since young guys in each group died of Covid, they don't act like that anymore.

I turned down my usual in-person teaching gigs after checking co-worker FB feeds and seeing idiocy.

We broke pure quarantine once, when my elderly mother's power went out in November. Brought her back to stay with us for almost a week, it was great, first time getting to hang out like normal with her in half a year.

We don't go out anywhere non-essential. It's actually pretty satisfying. The only thing I miss is I wanted to go on a funky bus trip through Mexico, like I did in the 90s. Yeah no.

How do you get groceries? Delivered? Curbside? In store?

CDC said the Covid isn’t transmitted by food.

Since March 13th:

We have actually eaten at three restaurants- Andice Store, Chuy’s, Serrano’s - but sat outside with no other table closer than 6 or 7 feet. Everyone masked.
Once a week we have gotten restaurant curbside takeout and drive thru at Dairy Queen. (M&M Blizzards)
We have walked in Costco twice for quick shopping - sparse crowds spaced out - everyone masked. 
We have walked into CVS at least half a dozen times besides drive thru medication pickups - almost no one in the store - always masked. 
We walked in HEB once briefly last week to pick up two items - nobody got close - everyone masked.
Once each week we get curbside grocery pickup from HEB. 
Twice we have visited son’s house Inside briefly - not sitting down, everyone masked, no hugging. 
Family members have been in our house briefly 3 times for holiday dinner/gift pickup - everyone masked - no hugging, except once by granddaughter (no pics)
The wife & I have made at least a dozen trips each to hospitals, surgery centers, & doctors offices for treatments - sanitizing hands & shoes before getting into the car, then stripping outer clothes off in the garage before entering house (no pics...lucky for you all). 
Stood in line for early voting in November at our community center - well spaced out, everyone masked, lots of sanitizer.

For each shopping/takeout trip out of the house where we actually got out of the car & entered a building, we would sanitize our shoes &  hands And wipe down all packages before bringing them into the house.

Both of us have been tested once for Covid prior to surgeries. 

Some here will say “overkill”, others will shout “careless sumbitches”. We are still here.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

How do you get groceries? Delivered? Curbside? In store?

We go once a week to a nearby place that practices good mask wear. They didn't always, and we seriously considered switching to an Asian market for all our food, because they didn't play. Then local dudes grew a brain.

I used to be Mr. Shop Local for everything, but now, if I see somebody pretending there's no virus, I have no problem pretending there's no business there anymore.

I shouldn't have written "pure quarantine", what I meant is we haven't had any normal social interaction like in the Before Times, at all, other than the exception when we brought my mom over. If we had the virus, probably no way we could have spread it because we have been some shy little forest animals dressed up MOPP 4 when forced to be near humans.

Had a couple beers with my son, the way we do that is to space out chairs about 10 feet apart in the back yard, carry half-case of beer to the middle of the circle without touching cans, when you want a beer you go get one by rolling it out of the cardboard. Cans left on ground for a day or two later until I feel like gathering them up.

Meanwhile our neighbors with their weird-ass new giant house (it'd be cool if it looked like a real mansion, but the design is weird, it looks like an HO scale cottage sitting on an N scale train set, whatev) are having unmasked bacchanalias with crowds of people who arrive from who knows where. We have always been friendly with them, in a yelling-across-the-street-to-say-Hi sort of way, that's a good way to keep it.