Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

Right now I'm only happy when I'm at work.  I work at a golf course and amongst the staff it might as well be a high school boys locker room.  Very unpolitically correct humor the whole day.  We're the only ones inside aside from someone coming in to use the bathroom.  Business is up through the roof.  Wednesday thru Friday alone this week was over 1000 rounds. 
Home is different altogether.   Wife is a special ed director for a school district she's on video conferencing all day.  Her kids, twins 1 boy/1 girl are both working since school is out but are both super bummed out about no prom and no grad ceremony.  Just watching TV is a beating, every commercial is coronavirus related, wash your hands, and alone together.  Like we're supposed to figuratively hold hands and sing kumbaya.   I dread being home.  Did have Friday off and got in a round with my soon to be 92 year old stepfather.  Old man still has game and shot 79 while myself and another pro played together.  Went by mom's house after and helped stepdad take down part of a tree in the backyard.  
If I actually stayed home every day I  feel pretty certain I'd go crazy, my anxiety and depression would flare up and get more dangerous than the virus for me.

Wait a minute. Homeboy is 90 fucking 2 and just shot a 79?

That’s the most impressive thing I’ve heard in a long time. Son of bitch.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yes, obviously playing the red tees. Full disclosure he won the DuPont World Amateur in Myrtle Beach in 1988. And multiple club championships at Walden on Lake Conroe and The Hills at Lakeway.  I hope I can swing a club at 92.

Getting more artsy crafty stuff done. I ran out of matte sealer and big box stores are Moron Magnets so I'll let that slide. Don't want to pay double retail to get it mailed to me, and even though I might one day die from Covid, I can still decide not to give in to the degeneracy of ordering everything from that bald-headed evil hobbit Bezos.

Saw grass growing in the driveway for the first time. This must be how Britannia looked after the legions left.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, tbone_ said:

No shit. I remember “reading” some Guinness record back in the 70s for most strokes below the golfer’s age, and I don’t think that was even 13. 

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Getting more artsy crafty stuff done. I ran out of matte sealer and big box stores are Moron Magnets so I'll let that slide. Don't want to pay double retail to get it mailed to me, and even though I might one day die from Covid, I can still decide not to give in to the degeneracy of ordering everything from that bald-headed evil hobbit Bezos.

Saw grass growing in the driveway for the first time. This must be how Britannia looked after the legions left.

or...Gerasenes after Legion left.

• Like 1

I notice that birds in the backyard are letting me almost step on them before they fly away. A sparrow zipped right by my head earlier. Squirrels have been getting a little too close, staring.

Is this like that scene at the end of 6th Sense where the dude starts figuring something out?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I notice that birds in the backyard are letting me almost step on them before they fly away. A sparrow zipped right by my head earlier. Squirrels have been getting a little too close, staring.

Is this like that scene at the end of 6th Sense where the dude starts figuring something out?

He had a dove walk into my garage, within 2 feet of my dog, to grab a twig and some grass yesterday afternoon from when I had just finished mowing.  Dog nor bird did shit 

Today was rough. Pulled the trigger on cancelling a summer family trip to California. Disneyland ain’t gonna be open and Taylor Swift cancelled all her concerts. The girls were pretty upset. Anybody else rescheduling summer plans? I’m thinking Florida beach will be a go. 

Avoiding Disneyland and Taylor Swift is a W
  • Like 1

I finally hit the wall today. My head felt like it was going to explode. Thought I was going to have a break down. Went to the garage, got my tent, put it up in my back yard. Sleeping outside tonight to the sound of I-10 in the distance. Feel better already. Just saw there might be thunderstorms later tonite. I hope so.

• Like 4

Mrs. Canecutter revealed that she had the fixins for hash browns today. It was like Waffle House except with a better cook, and all the riffraff (me and dogs) were sober.

Then I did my once-every-5-years job cleaning the garage gutters. I avoid it because A, I am lazy, and B, there is one tight spot between the garage and a fence where if you lose zenlike perfection on the ladder, you will flip over the fence, probably break your neck, and never be found. You'll die, you'll just fuckin die, like, dead, man.

I did it anyway. It was not written for me to die that way today. Ergo, I feel great.

• Like 3

Put a working edge on a machete with a hand-held file. Took a bit of time, which was good.

It's a piece-of-shit machete. (I had a good machete, a razor-sharp Korean-War-era steel beast of destruction. When the 1990s girlfriend stole all my money, she also got rid of that machete. Probably a good thing for both of us.)

So this isn't a great machete. It's not Excalibur. But if you're looking for a simple sapling-chopper with an edge on it, that's what I've got.

Oh the joy of wading into the privets with a sharp blade and a clean conscience.

• Like 2

Bought 45 lbs. of crawfish at HEB, the 5 of us just finished them off. Gonna call in for about $250 worth of sushi tonight. Been helping my Mom get here place ready for sale. If any of the Surly 1% wants a great house, guest house, pool, and entertainment pavilion on 6 acres with 220 foot of Brazos River frontage 40-60 minutes from downtown Ft. Worth, just let me know.

CHIEF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Put a working edge on a machete with a hand-held file. Took a bit of time, which was good.

It's a piece-of-shit machete. (I had a good machete, a razor-sharp Korean-War-era steel beast of destruction. When the 1990s girlfriend stole all my money, she also got rid of that machete. Probably a good thing for both of us.)

So this isn't a great machete. It's not Excalibur. But if you're looking for a simple sapling-chopper with an edge on it, that's what I've got.

Oh the joy of wading into the privets with a sharp blade and a clean conscience.

Let us know when you start to hear the mortars, the whop whop whop of the Hueys mixed in with a symphony of  AK-47 chatter, and Charlie closing in from behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Bought 45 lbs. of crawfish at HEB, the 5 of us just finished them off. Gonna call in for about $250 worth of sushi tonight. Been helping my Mom get here place ready for sale. If any of the Surly 1% wants a great house, guest house, pool, and entertainment pavilion on 6 acres with 220 foot of Brazos River frontage 40-60 minutes from downtown Ft. Worth, just let me know.

CHIEF

Does she live over by Glenn Rose? I miss going there to see the dino footprints

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

What's a place like that run?  Not interested at the moment, but in the next 10 years or so.

15 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Does she live over by Glenn Rose? I miss going there to see the dino footprints

Granbury, in PecanPlantation. For $157 a month you can play 36 holes of golf everyday, and chase MILFs at the 19th Hole.

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What's a place like that run?  Not interested at the moment, but in the next 10 years or so.

About $850k.

CHIEF

• Like 2

Practicing more longboarding (was never a skate boarder) has given me a physical outlet while also attempting to learn a new skill.  Always feel better afterwards.   Drives to random spots along the Deschutes river and enjoying them on one day during the weekend also helps.  Takeaway beer from local breweries also hits the spot.  Oh, and recently reducing news consumption.

If only we didn't have the school stuff to deal with.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Yesterday spent the first day of what is hopefully many days this year on the lake (Lake Travis). It felt GREAT not seeing people in mask and not being reminded of the craziness. Water wasn't just warm enough. Got some wake surfing in, riding wave runners, and doing nothing in the boat and on the dock/boathouse.

Fuck CV19. I can't wait for this shit to end.

• Like 2

I say this knowing that I'd rather covid-19 never had happened, but shit has been pretty fucking good.

I'm in phenomenal shape from not having to travel for work and not eating out.  Plus I get in extra walks, runs, or bike rides each week.  Also very diligent about lifting weights a couple of times each week.

I get 1-1.5hrs extra sleep per night.

Wife was furloughed 3 weeks ago so I don't have to manage the kids schooling, and it's been great just being home as a family.

Wife has really gotten into cooking again.  We usually cook a lot at home, but I work full time and she works 3x per week, so weekdays were for easy healthy meals, and big productions used to only happen on the weekend.  Not now.  Homemade bread for sandwiches, bagels, baguettes, pretzels.  She is knocking it out.  Plus the kids have taken an interest.  Just last week the 5 year old took charge on a bolognese, 8 year old made carbonara, and wife made homemade pizza (except for the cheese, everything was made from scratch).

I am still employed.

I have gotten a ton of shit done around the house.  Taxes, mowing and bagging a huge yard twice so I could airate and fertilize, mulched the flower beds, weeded, trimmed trees, serviced the John Deere, washed and oiled the outdoor furniture.  Next on the list for this week is repair a couple of panels of the fence, and then reorganize the garage.

Shit, we even camped as a family in the backyard last night.  We haven't done that in years.  Washers, fire, s'mores, games in the tent...it was a fucking blast.

So I guess, yea, I am enjoying myself.

• Like 6

I picked enough dewberries for 7 cobblers over the last few weeks.  The last time we went to pick them a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, it took us 3 hours because there were so many.  The redbugs also finally woke up that day, so I decided we were done for the year.