College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Why are we talking about Thanksgiving? If they can decide to play in the next couple of days, get back to practice next week, and play a truncated league-only schedule started in early October. If they play, it needs to be on a timeline that can get them to participate in the bowls and playoffs like the others.

And I think this does nothing for or against trump. Some will give him credit, others will not. Some will be happy with football, some will be upset with football if colleges are still online. It feels like trump grasping at straws here for any edge, but the covid problems are still well documented and known in every other facet of life. I don't give a fuck either way re the November elections. But if 3 conferences are going to try to play, might as well get a 4th. The PAC is irrelevant at this point, none of them were going to push for a MNC, or likely even a playoff spot.

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

One can only consider Colorado a swing state if they are the dumbest mother fucker in the world. That state is blue forever. 

If there's a swing state in the Pac 12, it's Arizona.

Rural Colorado is still really red, but the influx of people from CA into the Denver metro have likely made it a permanent blue state.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why are we talking about Thanksgiving? If they can decide to play in the next couple of days, get back to practice next week, and play a truncated league-only schedule started in early October. If they play, it needs to be on a timeline that can get them to participate in the bowls and playoffs like the others.

And I think this does nothing for or against trump. Some will give him credit, others will not. Some will be happy with football, some will be upset with football if colleges are still online. It feels like trump grasping at straws here for any edge, but the covid problems are still well documented and known in every other facet of life. I don't give a fuck either way re the November elections. But if 3 conferences are going to try to play, might as well get a 4th. The PAC is irrelevant at this point, none of them were going to push for a MNC, or likely even a playoff spot.

Oregon had the best chance to make a playoff run.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't know if it will really have an effect on the election either, but it seems like the obvious motivation.  He needs to do well in the Big 10 foot print to win.  His performance there is what put him in the White House.  Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Iowa were all 2x Obama states that went Trump in '16.

This is a politician pandering to a needed demographic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If there's a swing state in the Pac 12, it's Arizona.

Rural Colorado is still really red, but the influx of people from CA into the Denver metro have likely made it a permanent blue state.

Yessir. AZ is a swing state on the way to blue state like Nevada and Colorado before it- but definitely a swing state right now. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He’s doing this because it’s all upside for him. There’s no way it isn’t a net positive in those states if he gets it done. No way. It’s smart politics. Like when Clinton tried to fix the baseball strike/lockout. 
ETA- I’m not saying it’s going to swing the race, but it will help him if it gets done. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s doing this because it’s all upside for him. There’s no way it isn’t a net positive in those states if he gets it done. No way. It’s smart politics. Like when Clinton tried to fix the baseball strike/lockout. 

Exactly.  College football is absolutely massive in an area where he needs votes, and is currently struggling.  It may not save him, but it sure as hell won't hurt.

Wisconsin is the one that scares me.  They have enough electoral votes to make a difference (unlike us - we might be in play, but Iowa just doesn't deliver enough votes to matter), and the Badgers are pretty much on an even keel with the Packers in terms of interest.  I don't think that's a known perception outside of the state, but the only difference between a Saturday and Sunday in the fall in Wisconsin is whether you wear red or green.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  College football is absolutely massive in an area where he needs votes, and is currently struggling.  It may not save him, but it sure as hell won't hurt.

Wisconsin is the one that scares me.  They have enough electoral votes to make a difference (unlike us - we might be in play, but Iowa just doesn't deliver enough votes to matter), and the Badgers are pretty much on an even keel with the Packers in terms of interest.  I don't think that's a known perception outside of the state, but the only difference between a Saturday and Sunday in the fall in Wisconsin is whether you wear red or green.

Scares you? WTF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Just what college footballl needs. Politics.

That's exactly why the B1G was shut down in the first place.   Take a look at the new commissioners partisan involvement and agendas he initiated as soon as he took the position with the B1G.    https://sports.yahoo.com/can-the-big-ten-swing-a-presidential-election-kevin-warren-wants-to-find-out-180131201.html

Look at the process by which Warren came to the decision to cancel the fall participation.  I say Warren due to who he focused his presentation to, who he listened to & the effect of the final vote by the administrative leadership of each school.   All was good until the U of Michigan cardiologist pitched in combined with reporters digging into the "vote" process.   https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/university-of-michigan-cardiologist-says-big-ten-used-a-flawed-study-to-make-decisions/    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/penn-state-ad-now-not-even-sure-if-there-was-a-vote-to-cancel-2020-big-ten-season/

What we are witnessing plays into the election immensely.   Trumps involvement with Warren today is a sure signal the right is pushing back against what they feel is manipulated overplay.  Time will tell who is in the right, but don't doubt that politics were behind the original decision and continue to influence the process of whether to play in the fall or not.

Election year 2020, nothing is what it appears to be on the surface.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Scares you? WTF.

Figure of speech.  This thread has already gone full cloak, so why fight it?

I'm not a fan of the President.  He is losing in Wisconsin.  If he loses Wisconsin (and Michigan), he probably loses the election.  College football is popular enough in Wisconsin that getting it back might seriously win him the state.

I want to see the Big 10 sit out this football season and take a back seat.  I want to see Trump lose.  This move has the remote possibility to end both of those hopes.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Figure of speech.  This thread has already gone full cloak, so why fight it?

I'm not a fan of the President.  He is losing in Wisconsin.  If he loses Wisconsin (and Michigan), he probably loses the election.  College football is popular enough in Wisconsin that getting it back might seriously win him the state.

I want to see the Big 10 sit out this football season and take a back seat.  I want to see Trump lose.  This move has the remote possibility to end both of those hopes.

I want the Big Ten to sit at home and dream about what could have been.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Obviously, there should be nothing wrong with wanting all athletes to vote, but Warren has made it a priority as Big 10 commish to be involved in politics.

https://sports.yahoo.com/can-the-big-ten-swing-a-presidential-election-kevin-warren-wants-to-find-out-180131201.html

And Biden is absolutely trying to capitalize on no football being played in some states.

This needs to be quoted again
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

That's exactly why the B1G was shut down in the first place.   Take a look at the new commissioners partisan involvement and agendas he initiated as soon as he took the position with the B1G.    https://sports.yahoo.com/can-the-big-ten-swing-a-presidential-election-kevin-warren-wants-to-find-out-180131201.html

Look at the process by which Warren came to the decision to cancel the fall participation.  I say Warren due to who he focused his presentation to, who he listened to & the effect of the final vote by the administrative leadership of each school.   All was good until the U of Michigan cardiologist pitched in combined with reporters digging into the "vote" process.   https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/university-of-michigan-cardiologist-says-big-ten-used-a-flawed-study-to-make-decisions/    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/penn-state-ad-now-not-even-sure-if-there-was-a-vote-to-cancel-2020-big-ten-season/

What we are witnessing plays into the election immensely.   Trumps involvement with Warren today is a sure signal the right is pushing back against what they feel is manipulated overplay.  Time will tell who is in the right, but don't doubt that politics were behind the original decision and continue to influence the process of whether to play in the fall or not.

Election year 2020, nothing is what it appears to be on the surface.

who gives a shit. The member institutions voted. Having an outside forces try and altar that with special benefits is not right. Dare I say ‘fucked’ even.
and seriously, fuck politics- I’m saying that as a CFB fan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

who gives a shit. The member institutions voted. Having an outside forces try and altar that with special benefits is not right. Dare I say ‘fucked’ even.
and seriously, fuck politics- I’m saying that as a CFB fan.

Who gives a shit?   A lot of people.   An inside force altered this originally & now member and outside forces are applying counter thoughts and pressure.  Politics don't just start then halt, there is always a counter movement.  When you don't have a countering factor it's called communism.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

7 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

Who gives a shit?   A lot of people.   An inside force altered this originally & now member and outside forces are applying counter thoughts and pressure.  Politics don't just start then halt, there is always a counter movement.  When you don't have a countering factor it's called communism.

Yawn.
I’ve actually lived in a communist country, partner. 

-and if that’s the case then someone needed to fucking put a full stop in 2008 to better ‘inform’ voters on their stupid decisions

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yawn.
I’ve actually lived in a communist country, partner. 

-and if that’s the case then someone needed to fucking put a full stop in 2008 to better ‘inform’ voters on their stupid decisions

You like communism, I got it..  to each their own.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 11

50 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Why is this dude sounding pissed we may get more football..? I don't get it...

Oooooh, I was waiting for Stewart Mandel to tell me what to think.  Didn't know if he was going with this or to try and convince everyone else to hold hands with the Big 10 and start October 10.  

Should've known....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

“Keep politics out of sports” crowd is SUPER CONFUSED today 

It looks like you are serial negging a poster, probably simply because of politics, so I gave him a bunch of + rep to cancel that out.  Seems gutless to try and get posters neg banned based on their message board opinions. 

Though yeah, if he keeps crying "Communism!" then I'm done on bailing him out.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It looks like you are serial negging a poster, probably simply because of politics, so I gave him a bunch of + rep to cancel that out.  Seems gutless to try and get posters neg banned based on their message board opinions. 

Though yeah, if he keeps crying "Communism!" then I'm done on bailing him out.

The fuck else are we supposed to base our neggings on?

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Negged. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2